Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

3 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

WOW!    I wouldn't even know where to begin with all these options.    Looks amazing!

I might have made 3 trips for proteins and one for dessert. 

• Like 5

14 hours ago, Ozark_Kid said:

I heard math teachers like to celebrate the New Year in Times Square. 

To me this place seems to always drop the ball.

Happy New Year everyone!

A few minutes after the ball dropped yesterday I got an email from a HS friend asking if I stayed up to watch the ball drop.I asked her if she ever went to Times Square on New Years Eve.She said no for the same reasons that everyone had on this board.When I went I was 19 and my girlfriend was 17.When you are that young the cold air does not affect you.

• Like 5

A couple photos from last night. 

This

IMG_3145.thumb.jpeg.113bb77c5dbaeab73d895a8062bc85aa.jpeg

now looks like this. 

IMG_3159.thumb.jpeg.6791cf8f86ae6a1e7c6c58ad1bf723c0.jpeg

This

IMG_3120.thumb.jpeg.827e9058dc5644f993b9b4c7012ea456.jpeg

became this. 

IMG_3163.thumb.jpeg.40aed3606241da103217e7435cc81dbc.jpeg

Moon rise last night. Bedtime was after one. 

IMG_3148.jpeg

We rose at 6:30 to beat the game. Chair hogs are a thing. We have had to play even at the private pool. Don’t hate the player, hate the game. 

IMG_3151.thumb.jpeg.6dd1d3d28e9e1697f598b4b7a91c025c.jpeg

Edited by A&L_Ont
  • Like 13

1 hour ago, bobmacliberty said:

We're also seeing The Book of Mormon and will go up to Summit One Vanderbilt.  Since that's right Near Bryant Park and Grand Central, we'll check those out for a bit as well.  Maybe get a drink at the Campbell Bar upstairs in Grand Central.  Unfortunately, I think the Bryant Park Winter Village will be gone by the time we get there.  Another day will probably be the 9/11 Memorial.  Not sure yet what else we'll do...better figure that out this week.  We'll need to play it a little bit by ear depending on weather, but the long range forecast right now looks pretty good in the 40s/50s.  

We only have one dinner reservation so far at La Masseria on West 48th.  Friends here highly recommend it.  I've also received a recommendation for Patsy's and Becco.  I have a few Italian friends.  😁  Joe Allen is also on our radar.  We may go to Ellen's Stardust Diner for fun since it's very close to the hotel.  Definitely a bagel sandwich someplace for breakfast, a slice or two of pizza, and a black and white cookie.  Any recommendations for any of those 3 near Times Square would be welcomed. 

I'd also be interested in any dinner recommendations near MSG.  The concert starts at 8:00 and we'd want to be done eating by 7:00 to give ourselves plenty of time.  Nothing too fancy.

My favorite restaurant in that area is Carmine’s.I have eaten there many times and the food and service has always been great.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

First sand sculptures of the new year.  Busy morning. 

The dolphin was a popular photo op for a lot of people on the beach. 

IMG_0432.thumb.jpeg.9a67a2fa3b2d4e7cb3fa8279727fd7d3.jpeg

Sand castle was a last minute, 5 minute build for the kids. 

IMG_0435.thumb.jpeg.8e10b4db0449a10abbc78f19682b7e02.jpeg

• Like 17

Is "Love Actually" a Christmas movie? If so, I'm still watching Christmas movies. I guess it is since it is set at Christmas time and features a somewhat unique Christmas song.  Pretty good for a Rom-Com. I can't believe it was made 20 years ago & I've never seen it. Unfortunately, last night was it's last night on Netflix.

Needing to regain my manliness, I then watch "Ford vs Ferrari".  True story & great acting by Matt Damon and Christian Bale. Yeah Ford & go America! ** fist pump**  Unfortunately, yesterday was also it's last day on Hulu.

Not sure if either movie will end up on another streaming service. And that's how I spent my New Years Eve!

• Like 12
  • Haha 1

The resort had areas open for all and some reserved areas. We did splurged for the private area. We got some bottles of champagne and party favours. 

IMG_3058.thumb.jpeg.bbbb8120b231b3f6092d3bc8a13cd39c.jpeg

IMG_3068.thumb.jpeg.ad8f626bd6157286f0bd1240c25b6a3e.jpeg

They had preformers, dancers, fire artists and the like to entertain. 

I called these guys the Jiffy Pop Kids.

IMG_3076.thumb.jpeg.cfefa9dc9feed2e4b0d439357e0f9b6e.jpeg

IMG_3096.thumb.jpeg.d1eaa86ed37b4aa5428c9fc18db5d081.jpeg

Some people bought bottles of tequila. I don’t want to know how they are feeling this morning. 

IMG_3102.thumb.jpeg.69e7f581bac7310665bf5869ce1ab1e9.jpeg

IMG_3104.thumb.jpeg.666a9755f06bf0b900df46e311075238.jpeg

IMG_3127.thumb.jpeg.7f0b350531b414cca13bc84fc74e9591.jpeg

The party was still going strong at 1am. 

IMG_3147.thumb.jpeg.bc25d4b7e9304bca97ddcbcdbf21f245.jpeg

Edited by A&L_Ont
  • Like 17

35 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

Is "Love Actually" a Christmas movie? If so, I'm still watching Christmas movies. I guess it is since it is set at Christmas time and features a somewhat unique Christmas song.  Pretty good for a Rom-Com. I can't believe it was made 20 years ago & I've never seen it. Unfortunately, last night was it's last night on Netflix.

Needing to regain my manliness, I then watch "Ford vs Ferrari".  True story & great acting by Matt Damon and Christian Bale. Yeah Ford & go America! ** fist pump**  Unfortunately, yesterday was also it's last day on Hulu.

Not sure if either movie will end up on another streaming service. And that's how I spent my New Years Eve!

We also still watching Christmas movies, yesterday was

Christmas in Connecticut 

National lampoon Christmas vacation 

White Christmas ( I saw Danny Kaye on broadway in two by two in the 70’s)

• Like 3

3 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

Unfortunately, I think the Bryant Park Winter Village will be gone by the time we get there

Sort of. The tree & gift shops will be gone but the ice slating rink & pop-up bar & restaurant are there until early March.  Still worth the visit & honestly,with maybe one or two exceptions,  there was nothing unique about the gift shops that you couldn't find in any gift shop in any other touristy destination or shopping mall.

I'm always hesitant about giving dining recommendations as people tastes & expectations vary, plus when I'm at MSG, it's for a Ranger game so most places I go to are sports bars/Irish pubs. Having said that, here are a few non-fine dining options:

Stout is huge, 3 levels & can handle large crowds quickly and efficiently.  Located 1 block from The Garden.

https://www.stoutnyc.com/location/stout-nyc-penn-station/

The Keg Room is about 3 blocks away, smaller but less crowded.  With 45 TV's, you'll be able to see any game, anywhere in the world from where ever you sit. At anytime. Feel free to cheer on your favorite Rugby or Cricket team.

http://www.thekegroom.nyc/#snippet

Mustang Harry's somehow became one of the "go-to" bars when visiting MSG and as such, will probably be the most crowded.  But I never had a bad meal  there either.

https://www.mustangharrys.com/

Of the three, I tend to favor The Keg room, mostly for convenience. It's about half-way on the walk from Grand Central to MSG.

Edited by HBE4
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, HBE4 said:

Sort of. The tree & gift shops will be gone but the ice slating rink & pop-up bar & restaurant are there until early March.  Still worth the visit & honestly,with maybe one or two exceptions,  there was nothing unique about the gift shops that you couldn't find in any gift shop in any other touristy destination or shopping mall.

I'm always hesitant about giving dining recommendations as people tastes & expectations vary, plus when I'm at MSG, it's for a Ranger game so most places I go to are sports bars/Irish pubs. Having said that, here are a few non-fine dining options:

Stout is huge, 3 levels & can handle large crowds quickly and efficiently.  Located 1 block from The Garden.

https://www.stoutnyc.com/location/stout-nyc-penn-station/

The Keg Room is about 3 blocks away, smaller but less crowded.  With 45 TV's, you'll be able to see any game, anywhere in the world from where ever you sit. At anytime. Feel free to cheer on your favorite Rugby or Cricket team.

http://www.thekegroom.nyc/#snippet

Mustang Harry's somehow became one of the "go-to" bars when visiting MSG and as such, will probably be the most crowded.  But I never had a bad meal  there either.

https://www.mustangharrys.com/

Of the three, I tend to favor The Keg room, mostly for convenience. It's about half-way on the walk from Grand Central to MSG.

Thank you so much for this.  All 3 look like great options...just the kind of places that we're looking for.  

• Like 2

New Year’s Eve dinner was the pork (ribs).  
But today was my favorite. 

IMG_0005.thumb.jpeg.5b1d55dba8aa72b5cfac3409bdf900ef.jpeg

Turkey
Mashed potatoes 

Stuffing

Pan drippings gravy

Green bean casserole 

Cherry jello

Dinner rolls 

Yummy 

Be safe. 

• Like 7