Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

24 minutes ago, DaniDanielle said:

I thought it was my washer going crazy until I realized it wasn’t on😳My poor daughter messaged me from her room, walls were shaking bed jumping!  My brother was a nervous wreck, he was home alone.  His whole house shook. So no California for us🥴

When it finally dawned on me what was happening, the earthquake still seemed to intensify. Tha's when I began to get nervous & just like that, it was over.  It was just me & Leonard. My step-daughter was at work & never felt a thing.

Our friends on the Left Coast are probably scoffing at us right now. "Just a 4.8? Amateurs!" 😄😉🙃

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

1 hour ago, Ozark_Kid said:

And my paper jokes are terrible

I think the earthquake scrambled my brain. I read it 3 times before it sunk in. My brain must be like quicksand.
😄

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

How is your area ? 

All good here!

They are saying it's the worst earthquake in 240 years in this area.

• Like 3

I emailed my son who lives in New Jersey, but he's traveling so he was away from the quake, but my daughter-in-law was home and felt it.  She said it felt like a train going through the house.

They live in Asbury.  (Not Asbury Park).

When I lived in Long Valley, NJ, we had some minor earthquakes in the early '70s.  The sound was more like a crash, not a rumbling.  

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

They are saying it's the worst earthquake in 240 years in this area.

I remember being woken up in bed by an earthquake while in college.  This was 1982 or 1983 outside of Albany, NY.  I think it was in the 5s on the Richter scale.  It was felt across much of the northeast.

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

I remember being woken up in bed by an earthquake while in college.  This was 1982 or 1983 outside of Albany, NY.  I think it was in the 5s on the Richter scale.  It was felt across much of the northeast.

You're right. I guess I was quoting something I heard from NJ media. 🙂

https://www.upi.com/Archives/1983/10/07/A-moderate-earthquake-shook-a-large-area-of-northeastern/8000434347200/

In fact, today would rank #3 since 1957, after the 1983 noted above and a 1992 quake that was out in the Atlantic.

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2024/04/05/us/earthquake-new-york

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

I'm not sure if it was the same one, but here (New-Brunswick, CAN) we had a 5.7 Jan 9th 1982.  But I don't think that would have been felt further than Maine (perhaps a bit of NH) but I could be wrong.

I remember, I was just a kid, it was early but i was already up.  My mother ran out of her room screaming "Is it the furnace?"  Except, we didn't have a furnace 🙂

dp

Edited by dpostman
  • Like 6

4 minutes ago, dpostman said:

I'm not sure if it was the same one, but here (New-Brunswick, CAN) we had a 5.7 Jan 9th 1982.  But I don't think that would have been felt further than Maine (perhaps a bit of NH) but I could be wrong.

I remember, I was just a kid, it was early but i was already up.  My mother ran out of her room screaming "Is it the furnace?"  Except, we didn't have a furnace 🙂

dp

I was in Moncton in 1976 .It was a beautiful area.

Just now, lenquixote66 said:

I was in Moncton in 1976 .It was a beautiful area.

Oh really?  Cool.  I've been here since 92, but originally from Bathurst in Northern NB.  About an hour away from Miramichi where that 1982 earthquake was located.

dp

1 hour ago, Ocean Boy said:

This all sounds mild compared to when a helicopter flies over the office as it is landing at the hospital. Everything vibrates including my insides.

A few people on the news have likened it to a low flying plane/helicopter or a train or large tractor trailer passing by.  It did at first but - not to sound like an attention-getting drama queen - towards the last few seconds, there was some very sharp & abrupt shaking of the house. More than just vibration. I'm mildly surprised there are no cracks in the wall or foundation.

• Like 8

On 4/3/2024 at 7:31 AM, h20skibum said:

For all of our hockey fans on this thread, I wasn’t aware that Sid was close to one of Gretzky’s records.  Monday’s game assured that he will have averaged a point a game for 19 straight years. 

That is quite an accomplishment, it speaks to his consistency.   Just bought my Ranger playoff tickets for rounds 1 & (hopefully) 2. Fingers-crossed, I don't see Sid the Kid. He's a Ranger-killer.

Alex Ovechkin is 46 goals away from breaking Gretzky records for career regular season goals. If he can keep up his current pace, that's about a 1 1/2 seasons away. I wonder if he's going to play into his 40's to set a new record?

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Coralc said:

People sharing photos of the "damage" caused by the earthquake. #We will rebuild. My apologies, but they are very funny. ☺️🤣

People Are Sharing Pictures Of Damage Caused By The East Coast Earthquake, And Here's How It's Looking Out There (yahoo.com)

Hilarious!

When my step-daughter came home, she noticed one of the pictures hanging in her bedroom wall was askew.  As she straighten it, she declared "We Will Rebuild!"

• Haha 9

21 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Happy Anniversary Everyone.

Little late on the wishes, I've spent the last 2.5 days in the bathroom or bed with stomach flu.    Broke my fever this morning and slowly getting back my strength.   

So far everyone that was here Sunday for Eric's BD and Easter is fine.    Going to try to make it to the office tomorrow.  

Stay well😊

I'm sorry you've had a rough time but glad you're on the mend.  Feel totally better soon.

6 hours ago, DaniDanielle said:

Very scary. My brother said his whole house shook.  Charlie felt nothing in the kitchen but I was on the couch and it went crazy for a minute…..

My daughter in NJ said it was "freaky" and thankfully everyone is fine, no damage.

@dani negreanu Dani, glad you're on the mend.  So sorry it's taking so long to recover.  Continued Refuah Shlema- A complete recovery.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, dani negreanu said:

Thanks, Judy.

First day that I'm feeling almost "human" again. Seems to me a very slow mend 😢

I'm glad that you're finally starting to feel better, Dani!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, HBE4 said:

I think the earthquake scrambled my brain. I read it 3 times before it sunk in. My brain must be like quicksand.
😄

Maybe I should of said tearable.

Some don't catch ..... I forgot the punchline of a boxing joke.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

When we lived in NE Arkansas we felt a couple earthquakes in 4 years from the New Madrid Fault. Since we moved to NC Arkansas maybe 2 or 3 in the last 38 years.  I don't remember one in the last 25 years. 

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Ozark_Kid said:

Maybe I should of said tearable.

Some don't catch ..... I forgot the punchline of a boxing joke.

I didn’t get it , either.  I googled it and found it on Reddit. In defense of HBE4 and myself, it was a little obtuse.  Anyway, I was wondering about you since it had been a few days since you had posted anything. I know , you wouldn’t just leave without saying goodbye like some have done.  

• Like 2

Two weeks ago I was home alone and about 1pm I heard a load bang and the house shook.  It sounded like lightning hit the house but it was sunny out.  Later we read many other people heard it.  Noone knew for sure what it was.  Some guessed a military training plane breaking the sound barrier.   The plane they described sound like a refuel plane that would not break the sound barrier. 

I remember in the 1960's we would hear the booms from planes in Columbus Ohio. They later stopped the planes from flying low over resident areas.

Edited by Ozark_Kid
  • Like 2

@dani negreanu @Sunshine3601 @BonTexasNY - glad you are all either on the mend, improving or fully healed. 

I was at the grocery store this morning when the EQ struck. Didn’t feel a thing, no groceries fell off the shelves and no other shoppers seemed to notice anything. All three of my daughters (RI, Mass and PA) say they felt it.  

Andy is headed to Las Vegas Sunday with his best friend, he returns Wednesday. Ali is currently in the air headed to WDW to meet up with Cristina (yes, it’s a sickness with our family LOL).  Cristina has a work conference there; Ali couldn’t pass up the chance for a “free hotel” and both have annual passes so according to their “girl math”, this is a free trip 😏.   Poor pregnant Jess has to miss out.  She was not happy to learn today that baby boy is in a breech position. Still 7 weeks to go so he could still turn. 

This handsome guy, Ali’s dog Oscar, is hanging out with me until Wednesday.  IMG_1176.thumb.jpeg.c11536891ebe3e44e0e9895c6db2403e.jpeg

• Like 17
  • Thanks 2