Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

50 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

go to Kauai

We've been on an overnight in Kauai, which gave us the opportunity to tour without worrying about missing the ship in the evening.

We found Kauai the most beautiful of the islands we visited during the cruise (overnight in Maui, BI and Kuna).

The Waimea canyon is simply breathtaking.

When we left Kauai, the ship cruised slowly along the Na'apali coast. Again - I'm at loss of words -- sheer beauty.

Waimea canyon

DSC_1327.JPG

DSC_1329 (1280x853).jpg

DSC_1330.JPG

DSC_1334.JPG

Na'apali coast

DSC_1469.JPG

DSC_1476.JPG

Edited by dani negreanu
  • Like 17
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, molly361 said:

Not a good start on a ride down to Port Canaveral. Flat tire on the side of 528. Didn't even know Florida had something called I think road rangers my new favorite people. Since the whole time for my friend's AAA was a half an hour to get to even talk to somebody. Still made it on board the Mariner at my assigned boarding time 1:00 to 1:30 all is good

IMG_20210823_115428133_HDR.jpg

I used to listen to the police calls on a scanner radio.  I would hear the sheriffs'  office call for a tow on I95 for a breakdown, and the person would ask for AAA.  Dispatcher would reply that it would be hours, and the deputy would say that is too long, call the next wrecker on the rotation list.  I never considered joining AAA for towing. 

28 minutes ago, Luckynana said:

Jim said ours is very similar.  However, our circuits aren't labeled...

Then the fun begins 🙂  Turn off the Main Breaker to the house, turn on the generator, hook up heavy du duty extension cord to generator then to plug by the Transfer switch..............Then go to transfer box and turn on one breaker at a time on the transfer switch...........then run around the house and see what is working., turn off the one you tried each time, so you know exactly what each circuit controls.

Do the same thing for all the circuits

Mine can control 10 circuits, A, F, B, G, C, H, ,D,I, E and G..........You may or may not get to turn all 10 on at one time depending the wattage of your generator.  If you try to run to much, the generator will blow a fuse, not a big deal, you can buy fuses at Lowes or Home Depot.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

We've been on an overnight in Kauai, which gave us the opportunity to tour without worrying about missing the ship in the evening.

We found Kauai the most beautiful of the islands we visited during the cruise (overnight in Maui, BI and Kuna).

When we left Kauai, the ship cruised slowly along the Na'apali coast. Again - I'm at loss of words -- sheer beauty.

Waimea canyon

DSC_1327.JPG

DSC_1329 (1280x853).jpg

DSC_1330.JPG

DSC_1334.JPG

Na'apali coast

DSC_1469.JPG

DSC_1476.JPG

Your pictures are stunning, Dani!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, molly361 said:

Not a good start on a ride down to Port Canaveral. Flat tire on the side of 528. Didn't even know Florida had something called I think road rangers my new favorite people. Since the whole time for my friend's AAA was a half an hour to get to even talk to somebody. Still made it on board the Mariner at my assigned boarding time 1:00 to 1:30 all is good

IMG_20210823_115428133_HDR.jpg

Road Rangers is great. They are sponsored by various companies. 

My husband was at our place in northeast PA for Henri, he sent me this picture earlier. The end of this dock was on dry land yesterday.  The lake is about 8 miles long with many coves so to get that much rain is quite a lot, fortunately not too much wind. Glad he was there to keep an eye on things.

IMG_20210823_175841.jpg

• Like 7

39 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

Waimea canyon

DSC_1327.JPG

DSC_1329 (1280x853).jpg

DSC_1330.JPG

DSC_1334.JPG

Na'apali coast

DSC_1469.JPG

DSC_1476.JPG

Your pictures make a very strong argument to go to Kauai.  Beautiful.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Luckynana said:

I've never changed a tire, nor do I know how to do so.  Jim taught our 3 daughters, once they learned to drive in high school, how to change a tire, among other things to know, car related.  One night when they were driving home, they came upon some teenage boys who had a flat tire but didn't know how to change it.  Our daughters stepped right up and changed the tire for them!!

Our girls also know how to use electric tools, and have done so in their homes.  Girl power!!  lol

I may be the only male who has never changed a tire and never pumped gas.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

TSOTD is from the Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame in Cleveland ,OH.

My wife and I were there several years ago on a day that they were honoring the Beatles.

Granddaughter and grandson were rocking out there yesterday. 

59C3DB72-61DE-4ABD-8740-89E1DFE368A8.thumb.jpeg.e091c2cc7b8b094c88551bef5211fd49.jpeg

A7CA3AC2-0608-444A-A173-0B8C5CF35DA7.thumb.jpeg.6fa759aa24d2322efbcb9fea55984cb3.jpeg

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Luckynana said:

Our girls also know how to use electric tools, and have done so in their homes.  Girl power!!

As the father of 2 girls:

- Girls rule, boys drool.

- Girls go to college to get more knowledge.  Boys go to Jupiter to get more stupider.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

That's a lot of stress that you don't need at the start of a cruise.  Happened to me once with the family in the car on the way to the airport for a flight to San Juan for a cruise.  I had to unload all luggage on the side of a busy highway to dig out the jack and find the little donut spare.  By the time I was done and had everything loaded back up, I was covered in grease and chewed up all of the extra time that I had left myself.  We made it to the gate as they were loading the plane.  I didn't settle down until we touched down in San Juan.  I hope you have a great cruise!

I always worry about a breakdown on the way to the airport. I don't relax until the car is parked.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, harryfat1 said:

Very nice. That's some serious bit of furniture you will have once set up.  

I went the cheap route and got mine at Office Depot and took an entire Saturday to assemble it as it came in 2 huge boxes and a whole bunch of steps to put it together.

20200823_145811.thumb.jpg.2579b1e1be6896d4b1620e1fc0f47614.jpg

😯😯😯

My day today was a two parter.  Daughter is a first grade teacher, so this week she has meetings, and has to get her classroom ready for the start of school next week.  That means we get two grandkids this week. 

Today was a short day so we just had them for half the day.  Susan took our granddaughter for some playground fun, and I took grandson to the golf course. 

25D2C32A-777F-487C-9A72-54F6512BBF93.thumb.jpeg.afa6679f1f1829de2a50bc8324908f13.jpeg

He played this one pretty good, and was one over on this hole.  

Par on the one after, so those were his best. 

• Like 7

6 hours ago, jagsfan said:

I hope everyone asks for the recipe. 
I love scallops, cream and corn!

And don’t want to subscribe to the WSJ!

Try  one of these::

https://www.finecooking.com/recipe/seared-scallops-sweet-corn-bacon-saute

https://food52.com/recipes/34648-seared-scallops-with-bacon-cream-and-corn

https://www.thetwobiteclub.com/2015/01/seared-scallops-with-creamy-bacon-corn.html

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, maggieq said:

Ckrobyn  - has anyone heard from her?  Now that we have started back cruising, I thought we would see a post.  She was very present on cc pre COVID and submitted quite a lot of live and post cruise reviews. 

@ckrobyn

Edited by Jimbo

3 minutes ago, maggieq said:

Ckrobyn  - has anyone heard from her?  Now that we have started back cruising, I thought we would see a post.  She was very present on cc pre COVID and submitted quite a lot of live and post cruise reviews. 

She tends to only post when she has a cruise coming up.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jagsfan said:

I hope everyone asks for the recipe. 
I love scallops, cream and corn!

And don’t want to subscribe to the WSJ!

4 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

definitely, would love to get this recipe too!    

Seared Scallops With Sweet Corn, Cream and Bacon Recipe:

[SATISFYING AND SEASONAL FOOD IN ABOUT 30 MINUTES]

The Chef: Frederic Eliot

His Restaurants: Fore Street, Scales and Street and Co., all in Portland, Maine

What He's Known For: Doing right by Portland's extraordinary local seafood and produce. Weaving French techniques into classic New England dishes. Celebrating Maine's seasonal rhythms.

Few summer meals are as simple and elegant as a plate of seared scallops. At sister restaurants Street and Co., Fore Street and Scales in Portland, Maine, chef Frederic Eliot enjoys a ready supply of the shellfish from local waters.

In his first Slow Food Fast recipe, the French-born chef shares a favorite from the Scales menu: seared scallops served with bacon, corn, roasted peppers and cream. "We use the bacon drippings to sear the scallops," he said. "You want the pan to be hot before the scallops go in, and then lower the heat so they cook at a steady sizzle." Searing on one side only guards against overcooking.

"This is one of our best sellers," Mr. Eliot said. "Corn with bacon, peppers and scallops is a perfect match."

---

Total Time: 30 minutes

Serves: 4

2 orange, yellow or red peppers, stemmed and seeded

Kosher salt

3 1/2 tablespoons olive oil

1 1/2 tablespoons Sherry vinegar

4 ears of corn, shucked

1 yellow onion

1 cup heavy cream

2 bay leaves

3 (1/4 -inch-thick) slices bacon, cut into 1-inch pieces

16-20 large to medium-large scallops

Fresh basil or parsley, roughly chopped

1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Cut peppers into 2-inch-wide pieces and toss with 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil. Spread peppers across a baking sheet and roast until lightly charred in spots, about 10 minutes. Peel away and discard skins. Tear peppers into thin strips and toss with pan drippings and vinegar. Season with salt and set aside to marinate.

2. Cut corn off cobs. In a blender, puree half the kernels until smooth. In a small pot over medium heat, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil. Add onions and saute until softened, 3 minutes. Add pureed corn, cream and bay leaves. Gently simmer over medium-low heat until flavors meld, 5 minutes. Season with salt.

3. Meanwhile, in a large cast-iron skillet over medium heat, cook bacon until golden brown on all sides, 3-5 minutes. Use a slotted spoon to transfer bacon to a plate, leaving drippings in skillet. Working in batches to avoid crowding, lay scallops into hot skillet. Cook without flipping until scallops brown well on one side, 3-4 minutes. Transfer scallops to a plate.

4. Pour creamed corn mixture through a fine-mesh sieve into hot skillet, pressing on solids to extract liquid. Discard solids. Liquid should cover base of skillet by about 1/2 inch. Pour off excess liquid or add cream as needed.

5. Add reserved corn kernels to hot skillet and simmer until half-cooked, about 1 minute. Season with salt.

6. Drain roasted peppers of liquid and scatter them around skillet. Stir in reserved bacon. Simmer until everything heats through, 1 minute, then nestle scallops, browned-side up, into skillet. Simmer 30 seconds, and turn off heat. Season with salt and garnish with fresh herbs.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1