Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

1 hour ago, bobmacliberty said:

We have a whole house generator that kicks in automatically when needed.  Came with the house.  It also turns on automatically every couple of weeks and runs for about 5 minutes to check that it's working properly.  I had no idea what the noise was the first time that it happened.  I'm surprised that it hasn't been needed yet given some of the thunderstorms that we've seen.

We moved into this house 5 years ago, and we bought the generator from the previous owner.  There is some kind of way to hook it up in the garage, but we don't have any info on it.  We lost power last year, and brought the generator onto our back deck, plugging it into an outlet in the kitchen.  It did the job, as it is supposed to do, keeping our refrigerator going as well as some fans, etc.  We really should look into the workings in the garage.  Some day....perhaps soon?!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Luckynana said:

We moved into this house 5 years ago, and we bought the generator from the previous owner.  There is some kind of way to hook it up in the garage, but we don't have any info on it.  We lost power last year, and brought the generator onto our back deck, plugging it into an outlet in the kitchen.  It did the job, as it is supposed to do, keeping our refrigerator going as well as some fans, etc.  We really should look into the workings in the garage.  Some day....perhaps soon?!

Have an electrician out to look at the hook up and show you how to work it because:

If it is necessary to use a portable generator, manufacturer recommendations and specifications must be strictly followed. If there are any questions regarding the operation or installation of the portable generator, a qualified electrician should be immediately contacted to assist in installation and start-up activities. The generator should always be positioned outside the structure.

When using gasoline- and diesel-powered portable generators to supply power to a building, switch the main breaker or fuse on the service panel to the “off” position prior to starting the generator. This will prevent power lines from being inadvertently energized by backfeed electrical energy from the generators, and help protect utility line workers or other repair workers or people in neighboring buildings from possible electrocution. If the generator is plugged into a household circuit without turning the main breaker to the “off” position or removing the main fuse, the electrical current could reverse, go back through the circuit to the outside power grid, and energize power lines or electrical systems in other buildings to at or near their original voltage without the knowledge of utility or other workers.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, StanleyandGus said:

In addition to filling any open areas with ice (freeze it in bottles), cover the freezer with blankets, making sure that the vents are exposed, and don’t open it. 

From the land of prolonged power outages! 😁 

Thanks, I appreciate the advise and I'll follow up, bottles already in the freezer 😁

Canada --  "the land of prolonged power outages"??? I'm really surprised.

1 minute ago, Ocean Boy said:

I took a walk around the neighborhood yesterday. The number of generators that I heard could probably light up New York City.

Next time bring an extension cord!  My brother used to run extension cords to a couple of neighbors to help them out.  A new neighbor called the police on him during one power outage because they saw a strange man in the woods with a flashlight, dragging something.😱

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

22 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

That was a shame the concert was cancelled.  I went to tune in on tv around 9 pm last night and at that time they were saying they restart around 10 pm.  Shame the road couldn't hold out.

She had a premium ticket and supposedly can get a refund.She texted me to tell me it was being shown on CNN and I DVR’d it as I assume that my son in law did as well .

• Like 3

13 hours ago, BonTexasNY said:

@Luckynana Maryann, so glad you'll be joining us on Bella's cruise.  So many nice people to meet!

@grapau27 Graham and Pauline,  Happy Anniversary to one of the most elegant couples on CC. I wish you both a lifetime of continued love and happiness.

I had a few power outages in NY and was able to farm out my frozen stuff to my sister who lived 10 minutes away.  Seems like it always happened just when I stocked my freezer. 👎

Heavy, torrential rains here in NJ but that didn't stop us from going out for dinner. I had a jacket and it was so wet you could almost ring out the water.  AND that is with an umbrella and my SIL parking the car right next for the door both at home and the restaurant.  Sounds like Henri was not as harsh as expected.  Hope @lenquixote66Lenny is ok.

Lenny is okay.It has been raining here and quite windy .Supposedly the sun will be out at 7 PM.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, harryfat1 said:

We just ate the egg custards as late afternoon snack.  I feel fatter already...

My sister's family is over at the peninsula as well

20210821_195928.jpg

If you like Gelato try Genuto.It is only sold in Northern California.It was developed by a friend of mine a former resident of Berkeley.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

Nice set up Harry!  

Thanks, Bob.  We went through couple stages before we area at the current point.  When we first starting WFH, everyone thought it was a temporary few weeks matter so I had a folding table and bought a new monitor from Amazon thinking that would be good enough.  However, as time went on and the WFH looked to be more permanent, then we started upgrading various things.

Will be interesting to see later on how tech companies will bring their people back to office.

20200315_153635.thumb.jpg.561e8f6c5d66ce561d8b936905d8a1bb.jpg

2 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

Newport Beach is a very nice area.  Lots of money there.  I used to have an occasional business trip to Irvine and we'd stay on the ocean in Laguna Beach.  I liked driving on the PCH through Newport Beach to get to Laguna Beach.  Gorgeous views.

Yeah, that part of OC has the money. As it’s typical everywhere, the rich people are by the beach and less wealthy are inland.  Later in the trip report, I will show some of the vacation homes in the area.  People rent some of these houses for big family vacations.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

If you like Gelato try Genuto.It is only sold in Northern California.It was developed by a friend of mine a former resident of Berkeley.

Lenny,

Thanks for the info.  I just Google Genuto – looks like they are a Vegan ice cream maker? Not surprising it’s created by a Berkley person as the bay area are at the forefront on various Vegan cuisine.

Is Genuto still around anymore?  The last Facebook post was back in 2013…

So that last of Henri is finally moving out of the area.  After coming ashore yesterday in RI, he made a left turn, crossed CT to the NY/CT border, spent the night hovering over us before moving out late this morning.  Pretty much nothing more than a 24+ hour rain event. Not even enough wind to knock a leaf off a tree.

I did lose power for about 30 seconds, enough to kill the wifi for a few minutes while I was in the middle of an important video call. 😡

• Like 2

1 hour ago, reallyitsmema said:

Next time bring an extension cord!  My brother used to run extension cords to a couple of neighbors to help them out.  A new neighbor called the police on him during one power outage because they saw a strange man in the woods with a flashlight, dragging something.😱

I was going to suggest the same thing. One of my neighbors has a generator big enough to power a small office building. ok, slight exaggeration but it's not uncommon for him to be powering a least a few refrigerators/freezers around the 'hood in addition to his own house.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

I was going to suggest the same thing. One of my neighbors has a generator big enough to power a small office building. ok, slight exaggeration but it's not uncommon for him to be powering a least a few refrigerators/freezers around the 'hood in addition to his own house.

My brother's house had a huge generator too.  His wife is an electrician/contractor.  She installed some contraption that heated their inground pool with a wood stove.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, FromSea2ShiningSea said:

There is a recipe in this weekend's Wall Street Journal that made me think of you with all your corn crop.  The link is below.  If you cannot view the recipe as WSJ doesn't allow you to read it without subscribing, let me know and I will send the full text to the recipe.

Seared Scallops With Sweet Corn, Cream and Bacon

Few summer meals are as simple and elegant as a plate of seared scallops

I hope everyone asks for the recipe. 
I love scallops, cream and corn!

And don’t want to subscribe to the WSJ!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Keksie said:

Have an electrician out to look at the hook up and show you how to work it because:

If it is necessary to use a portable generator, manufacturer recommendations and specifications must be strictly followed. If there are any questions regarding the operation or installation of the portable generator, a qualified electrician should be immediately contacted to assist in installation and start-up activities. The generator should always be positioned outside the structure.

When using gasoline- and diesel-powered portable generators to supply power to a building, switch the main breaker or fuse on the service panel to the “off” position prior to starting the generator. This will prevent power lines from being inadvertently energized by backfeed electrical energy from the generators, and help protect utility line workers or other repair workers or people in neighboring buildings from possible electrocution. If the generator is plugged into a household circuit without turning the main breaker to the “off” position or removing the main fuse, the electrical current could reverse, go back through the circuit to the outside power grid, and energize power lines or electrical systems in other buildings to at or near their original voltage without the knowledge of utility or other workers.

Thank you, Keksie.  We did keep it outside, and just plugged it into the fridge in our house, and the fridge in our daughter's apartment.  We really should get it checked out so we can use it from the garage...

2 hours ago, reallyitsmema said:

Too funny!🤪

1 hour ago, lenquixote66 said:

Lenny is okay.It has been raining here and quite windy .Supposedly the sun will be out at 7 PM.

Glad all is well with you, Lenny.  Big non-event here, luckily, for us.  There was so much flooding elsewhere on the news.

• Like 1

Not a good start on a ride down to Port Canaveral. Flat tire on the side of 528. Didn't even know Florida had something called I think road rangers my new favorite people. Since the whole time for my friend's AAA was a half an hour to get to even talk to somebody. Still made it on board the Mariner at my assigned boarding time 1:00 to 1:30 all is good

IMG_20210823_115428133_HDR.jpg

• Like 24