Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

3 minutes ago, molly361 said:

Not a good start on a ride down to Port Canaveral. Flat tire on the side of 528. Didn't even know Florida had something called I think road rangers my new favorite people. Since the whole time for my friend's AAA was a half an hour to get to even talk to somebody. Still made it on board the Mariner at my assigned boarding time 1:00 to 1:30 all is good

IMG_20210823_115428133_HDR.jpg

Oh no!  I am glad you are safely onboard now.  Have a great cruise!

• Like 3

5 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

We have a whole house generator that kicks in automatically when needed.  Came with the house.  It also turns on automatically every couple of weeks and runs for about 5 minutes to check that it's working properly.  I had no idea what the noise was the first time that it happened.  I'm surprised that it hasn't been needed yet given some of the thunderstorms that we've seen.

Once we put one in, we have barely lost power. LOL, I guess we should have done it sooner. 

Edited by A&L_Ont
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, molly361 said:

Not a good start on a ride down to Port Canaveral. Flat tire on the side of 528.

That's a lot of stress that you don't need at the start of a cruise.  Happened to me once with the family in the car on the way to the airport for a flight to San Juan for a cruise.  I had to unload all luggage on the side of a busy highway to dig out the jack and find the little donut spare.  By the time I was done and had everything loaded back up, I was covered in grease and chewed up all of the extra time that I had left myself.  We made it to the gate as they were loading the plane.  I didn't settle down until we touched down in San Juan.  I hope you have a great cruise!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, harryfat1 said:

Thanks, Bob.  We went through couple stages before we area at the current point.  When we first starting WFH, everyone thought it was a temporary few weeks matter so I had a folding table and bought a new monitor from Amazon thinking that would be good enough.  However, as time went on and the WFH looked to be more permanent, then we started upgrading various things.

Will be interesting to see later on how tech companies will bring their people back to office.

20200315_153635.thumb.jpg.561e8f6c5d66ce561d8b936905d8a1bb.jpg

Looks like my current home office.  Micheline and I each have our own folding table for a computer desk.  We have plans to add built in cabinets to make the office look nice but like everything else these days, it will be 6 months+ before the cabinets can be delivered and installed.  ☹️

IMG_7518.thumb.jpg.cd9f9a1c0dc21ebb323d99bdd31aba64.jpg

Computer rendering of the planned office.  We haven't finalized on color, pulls, or countertop.  We will likely match other parts of the house.  This is just the default used by the cabinet company for a 3D layout.  Model cruise ships will be on some of the open shelves.

IMG_7519.thumb.jpg.911745693c0621a8d9a91ff4bcaedfd6.jpg

• Like 10

3 hours ago, reallyitsmema said:

A new neighbor called the police on him during one power outage because they saw a strange man in the woods with a flashlight, dragging something.😱

OMG, that's funny!      I could see someone wondering what the heck the person is doing and being concerned.     

It is funny always seeing the large orange extension cords running around a neighborhood.     We run a cord to my neighbors and another neighbor runs one across the street to another neighbor (yup across our neighborhood street and duct tapes it to the road).    several people do this in my area, when we know it will be an extended period of time with no power.     

• Like 2

2 hours ago, harryfat1 said:

Lenny,

Thanks for the info.  I just Google Genuto – looks like they are a Vegan ice cream maker? Not surprising it’s created by a Berkley person as the bay area are at the forefront on various Vegan cuisine.

Is Genuto still around anymore?  The last Facebook post was back in 2013…

My friend Barry who came up with Genuto sold the rights to somebody else in 2018 when he was moving to Portland,Oregon.I know that Trader Joe’s stores in Northern California were selling it in 2019.

1 hour ago, Luckynana said:

Thank you, Keksie.  We did keep it outside, and just plugged it into the fridge in our house, and the fridge in our daughter's apartment.  We really should get it checked out so we can use it from the garage...

Too funny!🤪

Glad all is well with you, Lenny.  Big non-event here, luckily, for us.  There was so much flooding elsewhere on the news.

Yes,I heard that. Now the sky is gray or grey and it is very windy but no longer raining.

1 hour ago, molly361 said:

Not a good start on a ride down to Port Canaveral. Flat tire on the side of 528. Didn't even know Florida had something called I think road rangers my new favorite people. Since the whole time for my friend's AAA was a half an hour to get to even talk to somebody. Still made it on board the Mariner at my assigned boarding time 1:00 to 1:30 all is good

IMG_20210823_115428133_HDR.jpg

Glad to hear you made it onboard.     Enjoy your cruise 🤩

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

Looks like my current home office.  Micheline and I each have our own folding table for a computer desk.  We have plans to add built in cabinets to make the office look nice but like everything else these days, it will be 6 months+ before the cabinets can be delivered and installed.  ☹️

IMG_7518.thumb.jpg.cd9f9a1c0dc21ebb323d99bdd31aba64.jpg

Computer rendering of the planned office.  We haven't finalized on color, pulls, or countertop.  We will likely match other parts of the house.  This is just the default used by the cabinet company for a 3D layout.  Model cruise ships will be on some of the open shelves.

IMG_7519.thumb.jpg.911745693c0621a8d9a91ff4bcaedfd6.jpg

Very nice. That's some serious bit of furniture you will have once set up.  

I went the cheap route and got mine at Office Depot and took an entire Saturday to assemble it as it came in 2 huge boxes and a whole bunch of steps to put it together.

20200823_145811.thumb.jpg.2579b1e1be6896d4b1620e1fc0f47614.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Luckynana said:

We moved into this house 5 years ago, and we bought the generator from the previous owner.  There is some kind of way to hook it up in the garage, but we don't have any info on it.  We lost power last year, and brought the generator onto our back deck, plugging it into an outlet in the kitchen.  It did the job, as it is supposed to do, keeping our refrigerator going as well as some fans, etc.  We really should look into the workings in the garage.  Some day....perhaps soon?!

Sounds like you have a transfer switch in the garage next to your electric box..........Take a few pictures of the set-up in the garage and we might be able to give you an idea how to make it work so next time you can use the generator to make some things in your house run during a power outage.

The transfer switch might be labeled as to what circuits will work with the generator running. See if he left a heavy thick thick extension cord with the generator, that would plug into the generator and should be a connection to plug other end of the extension cord to near the transfer switch.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

Digging deep into the dresser drawer, TSOD is from Hula Grill in Kaanapali.

We will be in Kaanapali for 2 weeks starting in mid-September. We've gone there every 5 years for our Anniversary since 1991. The Tiki Bar at our hotel has had the same 2 bartenders, Tom & Dale, since before we started going there. From what I've heard, (Dale, whom I believe is 79), was still there as of January of this year. It would be great to be able to see him again.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Sounds like you have a transfer switch in the garage next to your electric box..........Take a few pictures of the set-up in the garage and we might be able to give you an idea how to make it work so next time you can use the generator to make some things in your house run during a power outage.

The transfer switch might be labeled as to what circuits will work with the generator running. See if he left a heavy thick thick extension cord with the generator, that would plug into the generator and should be a connection to plug other end of the extension cord to near the transfer switch.

Wow, Jimbo,  thank you for this info.  I wish I could put a picture on here, but not savvy enough.  Anyway, I just read this to Jim, and he told me our SIL knows how to show us how to do it!!!  Hmmm...I did not know this!  We've only had to use the generator the one time, and we had hooked it up from our deck.  Thank you, Jimbo....guess what our SIL will be doing the next time he's here..lol!

I just want everyone to know how wonderful and helpful you all are on this thread, always willing to help with ideas and suggestions.  Love you guys!!  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bobmacliberty said:

That's a lot of stress that you don't need at the start of a cruise.  Happened to me once with the family in the car on the way to the airport for a flight to San Juan for a cruise.  I had to unload all luggage on the side of a busy highway to dig out the jack and find the little donut spare.  

Bob, I've often thought of what a nightmare that would be when the car is packed to capacity as we head back to Florida for the Winter....and vice-versa.  Two or three years ago, the day before Jim was going to pack the car for the trip, one of us saw a nail in one of the tires on our new car;  luckily it was seen and we had it taken care of.

Molly, have a wonderful cruise!

34 minutes ago, cruisingpeople said:

We will be in Kaanapali for 2 weeks starting in mid-September. We've gone there every 5 years for our Anniversary since 1991. The Tiki Bar at our hotel has had the same 2 bartenders, Tom & Dale, since before we started going there. From what I've heard, (Dale, whom I believe is 79), was still there as of January of this year. It would be great to be able to see him again.

We've been to Kaanapali 3 times.  First was in 1993 for our honeymoon.  We stayed in what was then the Embassy Suites, but is now a condo complex (I think).  We went back in 2008 with our daughters who were 10 and 13 at the time.  Stayed at the Westin Maui, largely because I had points.  We really liked the pool and being right next to Whaler's Village (and the Hula Grill/Barefoot Bar), so we stayed there again in 2014 when our daughters were older.

We will be back in Hawaii next September after our TP from Vancouver.  It will be just Micheline and I this time.  Trying to decide if we should go to Maui again but stay in Wailea (splurge for either the Grand Wailea or the Four Seasons), or go to Kuai.  I'd appreciate input from anyone who has been to one or both of these locations.  

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, Luckynana said:

Wow, Jimbo,  thank you for this info.  I wish I could put a picture on here, but not savvy enough.  Anyway, I just read this to Jim, and he told me our SIL knows how to show us how to do it!!!  Hmmm...I did not know this!  We've only had to use the generator the one time, and we had hooked it up from our deck.  Thank you, Jimbo....guess what our SIL will be doing the next time he's here..lol!

I just want everyone to know how wonderful and helpful you all are on this thread, always willing to help with ideas and suggestions.  Love you guys!!  

It might look like this...we had one in our NJ house. Would like to get one installed soon in our new Viginia house.

20190723_095823.jpg

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Luckynana said:

Bob, I've often thought of what a nightmare that would be when the car is packed to capacity as we head back to Florida for the Winter....and vice-versa.  Two or three years ago, the day before Jim was going to pack the car for the trip, one of us saw a nail in one of the tires on our new car;  luckily it was seen and we had it taken care of.

Molly, have a wonderful cruise!

I hadn't thought about changing a tire in probably 20 years.  We were driving my wife's Acura MDX and I couldn't find the spare.  After looking it up in the owner's manual, I found that I had to lower it from under the rear chassis of the car by turning a crank.  That was a first for me.  The added stress of not being able to find the spare and taking a long time to lower it from under the chassis didn't help.  My advice...know how to change a spare tire in your car!

10 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

to decide if we should go to Maui again but stay in Wailea (splurge for either the Grand Wailea or the Four Seasons), or go to Kuai.  I'd appreciate input from anyone who has been to one or both of these locations.  

Wailea is very similar to Kaanapali just a little fancier. I think Kauai is the most beautiful of the islands - amazing snorkelling off the northern beaches, and is more laid back

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

It might look like this...we had one in our NJ house. Would like to get one installed soon in our new Viginia house.

20190723_095823.jpg

Jim said ours is very similar.  However, our circuits aren't labeled...

9 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

I hadn't thought about changing a tire in probably 20 years.  We were driving my wife's Acura MDX and I couldn't find the spare.  After looking it up in the owner's manual, I found that I had to lower it from under the rear chassis of the car by turning a crank.  That was a first for me.  The added stress of not being able to find the spare and taking a long time to lower it from under the chassis didn't help.  My advice...know how to change a spare tire in your car!

I've never changed a tire, nor do I know how to do so.  Jim taught our 3 daughters, once they learned to drive in high school, how to change a tire, among other things to know, car related.  One night when they were driving home, they came upon some teenage boys who had a flat tire but didn't know how to change it.  Our daughters stepped right up and changed the tire for them!!

Our girls also know how to use electric tools, and have done so in their homes.  Girl power!!  lol

• Like 8