Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

1 hour ago, Luckynana said:

Beautiful Tree!!!! Thank you for sharing.   We haven't been there since we went with the grandchildren to see "Frozen" four years ago.  Too much going on this year to get in to the City.🎄

In 1999 I was a regular on a Music Message board.Everyone who lived in NYC or NJ went to see the tree as a group one night and out to dinner afterward .We were close to 30 people .That was the last time we saw the tree in person.When I worked in the area in the 60’s I went many times.

• Like 4

So just a quick summary of my one and only experience aboard an NCL ship, Pride of America.  Most of my cruising experience is with Royal.  I have had one MSC cruise and one Hurtigruten cruise and the Hurtigruten cruise is so different than mainstream cruising that it is irrelevant to my comparisons. Most of what I comment will be based on my comparison and experience with Royal. 

I just finished my post cruise survey with NCL and like I wrote in the comments there, it is hard summarize this very simply.  We loved the trip and enjoyed each port of call immensely. However, the shipboard experience left a lot to be desired.  I was told by two different staff members that we cruised with1700 passengers, which equals 3/4 capacity and that we had 3/4 staff.  All should be good then, right?  Wrong, the level of service was so substantially degraded compared to what we are used to experiencing on a Royal ship it was remarkable.  The MDR was awful.  The food was probably about the same quality but the service was just disappointing each night we were there.  We aren't high maintenance diners but just getting something as simple as a cup of coffee with your dessert seemed to escape the ability of the servers.  There were no recommendations for the evening. No followup to find out how we enjoyed the food. Not even when something was only partially eaten did they question my wife whether she enjoyed the meal.  Just clear the table and bring the next course.

I actually enjoyed the food in the buffet it is just that, again, the service lets you down.  As a comparison to Royal.  If you walk up to the omelette bar there will be a server there to take your order and then, depending on which ship you are on,  hand you a buzzer to let you know your omelette ready or a little stick with a number on it and they will bring it to you.  On this ship you have to line up and wait and then stand there while he prepares it.  Often the line was very long.  I didn't eat many omelettes last week. As I said, I actually enjoyed the food in their buffet. Clearing tables was very slow.  Every morning when I arrived there would be no clear table for me to sit at.  I bussed tables every morning myself.  It didn't seem to make a difference what time I arrived.  I ate breakfast between 7 and 9 each day and whether it was 7 or 9 or anywhere in between it made no difference to the amount of cleared tables.  While seated I saw staff clearing tables but sadly whenever I actually needed a cleared table, when my hands were full with a plate and cup, none were to be found. That being said, I thought the quality of the meat that was served at lunch was better than anything I have had in the Windjammer.

The Cadillac diner, similar to Johnny Rockets, was very good.  The benefit was it is included as part of your cruise fare.  There is no extra charge like JR's.  Disappointingly, here the service is what keeps this venue from getting a high mark.  Great food, poor service.  There were simply not enough servers to service the restaurant.  Trying to get the attention of the waiter to order desert proved impossible. After trying to get either one of their's attention for about 10 minutes we gave up and went to the buffet got dessert there.

The specialty dining was very good. We dined in all four of the specialty dining rooms that were open, once each. If I ever cruise NCL again, which is unlikely, I'll be ordering 7 nights of specialty dining.  We dined in Cagney Steak house, Jeffersons Bistro, Teppanyaki, and Il Cuccina.  Each place exceeded our expectations. Service was impeccable and the food was perfect. We had two specialty dinners included as part of their Free at Sea promotion and pre-cruise I ordered two additional specialty dinners.  I'm so glad I did.  I felt they were money well spent.

Bar service was exceptional, with one exception.  I spent most of my time at the pool bar and the servers were personable and efficient.  The drinks were well made and I would easily give them a 10/10.  The one exception was at the John Adams bar. As a comparison, imagine the R-bar in the centrum on Serenade.  This bar doubled as being the only place to get specialty coffee's.   So kind of like cafe promenade/CAFÉ LATTE-TUDES combined with the R-bar in the centrum.  They served regular drinks, specialty coffee and had a little cooler with snacks and treats.

It was staffed by two people.  Waits for Latte's were interminably long.  It wasn't much of a problem for me but DW loves her Latte's and she spent a lot of time waiting there to get one. 

IT was poor.  Fortunately, we were in port a lot of the time so I could just stick with AT&T but whenever we left port and I needed to connect to the wifi it was dire.  We had included wifi but I paid to upgrade it to their premium unlimited package.  That was a sad waste of money.  The app has very limited utility. Beyond checking the on board account I didn't use it.

There was little entertainment that interested us.  My favorite is live music.  There was one guitar players doing folk type music and a couple who did Hawaiian styled music.  She sang and played the ukulele and he played the bass.  We were in bed most nights by nine.

All of that being said, the ports were fantastic.  Each one was unique and the activities were a lot of fun.   I have already posted some of what we did so I won't make this post longer than it already is and bore you with recapping those.  We also did a river tubing experience on Kauai, rented a dune buggy at Kona and toured the area and then on debarkation as part of our shuttle to the airport we stopped at Pearl Harbor for 3 hours.  All were excellent and leave us awesome memories and experiences that we will remember for a lifetime.

I know large parts of this review are negative.  Like I said it was hard to review.  I so glad we went but I'd probably never go again.  Hawaii was a bucket list destination for DW.  This is a great way to see different locations in Hawaii without having to pack and fly to different islands.  You just need to temper your "cruise" expectations and view it as hotel that takes you to awesome destinations and experiences.  I'll drop a few more pics here to put this to bed.

IMG_0257.thumb.jpeg.3721347c8c4b5f83b94a13d045a504ae.jpeg

IMG_0265.thumb.jpeg.9b358cab5fea3ba394edf183f110e899.jpeg

IMG_0298.thumb.jpeg.b00c72cafa313f654a738fef47ecd9a1.jpeg

IMG_0300.thumb.jpeg.95448f96118473b11a19df2b5122d958.jpeg

IMG_0341.thumb.jpeg.e5a453f05dcd10435323eb4fb39a5478.jpeg

IMG_0346.thumb.jpeg.bd322fffd231adc70e521bf9160acdb3.jpeg

IMG_0355.thumb.jpeg.8b3547437204cf350b3ecb23795eee66.jpeg

56 days until I board Navigator of the Seas 🙂 

Edited by Tree_skier
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 9

43 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

So just a quick summary of my one and only experience aboard an NCL ship, Pride of America.  Most of my cruising experience is with Royal.  I have had one MSC cruise and one Hurtigruten cruise and the Hurtigruten cruise is so different than mainstream cruising that it is irrelevant to my comparisons. Most of what I comment will be based on my comparison and experience with Royal. 

I just finished my post cruise survey with NCL and like I wrote in the comments there, it is hard summarize this very simply.  We loved the trip and enjoyed each port of call immensely. However, the shipboard experience left a lot to be desired.  I was told by two different staff members that we cruised with1700 passengers, which equals 3/4 capacity and that we had 3/4 staff.  All should be good then, right?  Wrong, the level of service was so substantially degraded compared to what we are used to experiencing on a Royal ship it was remarkable.  The MDR was awful.  The food was probably about the same quality but the service was just disappointing each night we were there.  We aren't high maintenance diners but just getting something as simple as a cup of coffee with your dessert seemed to escape the ability of the servers.  There were no recommendations for the evening. No followup to find out how we enjoyed the food. Not even when something was only partially eaten did they question my wife whether she enjoyed the meal.  Just clear the table and bring the next course.

I actually enjoyed the food in the buffet it is just that, again, the service lets you down.  As a comparison to Royal.  If you walk up to the omelette bar there will be a server there to take your order and then, depending on which ship you are on,  hand you a buzzer to let you know your omelette ready or a little stick with a number on it and they will bring it to you.  On this ship you have to line up and wait and then stand there while he prepares it.  Often the line was very long.  I didn't eat many omelettes last week. As I said, I actually enjoyed the food in their buffet. Clearing tables was very slow.  Every morning when I arrived there would be no clear table for me to sit at.  I bussed tables every morning myself.  It didn't seem to make a difference what time I arrived.  I ate breakfast between 7 and 9 each day and whether it was 7 or 9 or anywhere in between it made no difference to the amount of cleared tables.  While seated I saw staff clearing tables but sadly whenever I actually needed a cleared table, when my hands were full with a plate and cup, none were to be found. That being said, I thought the quality of the meat that was served at lunch was better than anything I have had in the Windjammer.

The Cadillac diner, similar to Johnny Rockets, was very good.  The benefit was it is included as part of your cruise fare.  There is no extra charge like JR's.  Disappointingly, here the service is what keeps this venue from getting a high mark.  Great food, poor service.  There were simply not enough servers to service the restaurant.  Trying to get the attention of the waiter to order desert proved impossible. After trying to get either one of their's attention for about 10 minutes we gave up and went to the buffet got dessert there.

The specialty dining was very good. We dined in all four of the specialty dining rooms that were open, once each. If I ever cruise NCL again, which is unlikely, I'll be ordering 7 nights of specialty dining.  We dined in Cagney Steak house, Jeffersons Bistro, Teppanyaki, and Il Cuccina.  Each place exceeded our expectations. Service was impeccable and the food was perfect. We had two specialty dinners included as part of their Free at Sea promotion and pre-cruise I ordered two additional specialty dinners.  I'm so glad I did.  I felt they were money well spent.

Bar service was exceptional, with one exception.  I spent most of my time at the pool bar and the servers were personable and efficient.  The drinks were well made and I would easily give them a 10/10.  The one exception was at the John Adams bar. As a comparison, imagine the R-bar in the centrum on Serenade.  This bar doubled as being the only place to get specialty coffee's.   So kind of like cafe promenade/CAFÉ LATTE-TUDES combined with the R-bar in the centrum.  They served regular drinks, specialty coffee and had a little cooler with snacks and treats.

It was staffed by two people.  Waits for Latte's were interminably long.  It wasn't much of a problem for me but DW loves her Latte's and she spent a lot of time waiting there to get one. 

IT was poor.  Fortunately, we were in port a lot of the time so I could just stick with AT&T but whenever we left port and I needed to connect to the wifi it was dire.  We had included wifi but I paid to upgrade it to their premium unlimited package.  That was a sad waste of money.  The app has very limited utility. Beyond checking the on board account I didn't use it.

There was little entertainment that interested us.  My favorite is live music.  There was one guitar players doing folk type music and a couple who did Hawaiian styled music.  She sang and played the ukulele and he played the bass.  We were in bed most nights by nine.

All of that being said, the ports were fantastic.  Each one was unique and the activities were a lot of fun.   I have already posted some of what we did so I won't make this post longer than it already is and bore you with recapping those.  We also did a river tubing experience on Kauai, rented a dune buggy at Kona and toured the area and then on debarkation as part of our shuttle to the airport we stopped at Pearl Harbor for 3 hours.  All were excellent and leave us awesome memories and experiences that we will remember for a lifetime.

I know large parts of this review are negative.  Like I said it was hard to review.  I so glad we went but I'd probably never go again.  Hawaii was a bucket list destination for DW.  This is a great way to see different locations in Hawaii without having to pack and fly to different islands.  You just need to temper your "cruise" expectations and view it as hotel that takes you to awesome destinations and experiences.  I'll drop a few more pics here to put this to bed.

Thank you for sharing your pictures, as well as some memories of our Hawaiian Cruise years ago.  Jim and I also tubed in Kawaii (I must say it hurt my neck and back), we went to the Arizona in Pearl Harbor, and it looks like the Church we went to where Father Damien who worked with the Lepers is buried.  Hawaii sure is beautiful!!

• Like 3

On 12/4/2022 at 7:14 AM, Keksie said:

Celebrity and Princess ships.  Mostly Australian cruises.  I just don't trust that it can't happen on a cruise I would book and with my luck it would. 

I'm on Celebrity (Eastern Caribbean) right now, and I see very few masks on anyone.  

I think the government is going to have a hard time forcing anything like that again here in the USA market.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

However, the shipboard experience left a lot to be desired.  I was told by two different staff members that we cruised with1700 passengers, which equals 3/4 capacity and that we had 3/4 staff.  All should be good then, right?  Wrong, the level of service was so substantially degraded compared to what we are used to experiencing on a Royal ship it was remarkable.

I'd be curious to know how much of that was because most of the crew on that ship is American compared to being "standard operating procedure" for NCL in general.  (I think we can all agree that the service industry in the USA leaves a lot to be desired.)

Is there anyone here who has cruised NCL's non-Hawaiian itineraries and also the Hawaiian one that can give a comparison?  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, brillohead said:

I'd be curious to know how much of that was because most of the crew on that ship is American compared to being "standard operating procedure" for NCL in general.  (I think we can all agree that the service industry in the USA leaves a lot to be desired.)

Is there anyone here who has cruised NCL's non-Hawaiian itineraries and also the Hawaiian one that can give a comparison?  

I am thinking that comparing the NCL experience in Hawaii to anything is just a fail, because of the American Crew or lack of… to any other cruise experience is just never going to go well for it.  I haven’t done NCL or NCLA, but have friends who have.  You go on that cruise only for the experience not the cruise.

jc

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, brillohead said:

Oh, and I'm back from playing Monopoly.  Evidently, lighthouse cookies put you on Santa's Naughty List.

Here I thought the cookies were Jimbo’s????

welcome home.  We missed you even if I didn’t know you were gone.🤣

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Tree_skier said:

Beautiful photos Dave. I was going to post, but then I wondered as a Canadian, if it was as moving to you as it was to us? I sort of cried, as I am sure I will do at the 9/11 Memorial. We went at 7 AM and had the headphones, it was amazing. Ernest Borgnine narrated as the planes come at dawn. It was amazing. 

Thanks! That was a good review of an NCL experience. We have never sailed with them, and your photos were awesome! 

• Like 1

Finally got our house decorated! DBB4475A-A6DB-4808-BE60-611C9E58AE89.thumb.jpeg.5ecfdd5842958afa823665f681987646.jpeg

31E72A85-26AB-4B30-BAD9-91EB46E4FFB8.thumb.jpeg.c528d93759c402421f0baf94d9168c94.jpeg

The retro white ceramic tree was made by my grandmother, in the picture on the left. I love it so much.

D0F828E5-F626-4AF5-BB77-DDFF13E6C25C.thumb.jpeg.98f3fa4b1637d90b80f7d76ce1436abb.jpeg

CF46AEE7-A404-48F5-8CAE-2FC0BAA7526E.thumb.jpeg.d711017fe3b0f8c6e3938c74e8bedf77.jpeg

17DDCC3E-7235-47DE-B9CC-74F52787AC7D.thumb.jpeg.0e80c87586ddb849785da746940bc561.jpeg

E6525B62-F87E-4FB7-A83E-8045B3778B95.thumb.jpeg.e1a567d40de625f5f7d0316184fdd2dc.jpeg

New ornaments from our Alaskan cruise last summer.

A06506FE-20E9-4E73-A137-56DBD161B6D5.thumb.jpeg.bd5b809062c7c77771110bd753e7b014.jpeg

7A1B878B-FFC2-4C5F-93E2-AC27C5084596.thumb.jpeg.38b31588963640a757d220c252cfee32.jpeg

And one of Lucy for good measure.

B214F0DF-1CD8-4AAA-B2E5-8FCFFFD09B99.thumb.jpeg.74a4c743d3745da69e8038fd6bf72838.jpeg

Edited by TravelGirlinDallas
  • Like 28
  • Thanks 2

56 minutes ago, xpcdoojk said:

I am thinking that comparing the NCL experience in Hawaii to anything is just a fail, because of the American Crew

I befriended a first time cruiser on Explorer in October, and they wanted to know how to hire workers from India for their business, b/c they can't get anyone who wants to work and who actually shows up when scheduled to work.  "These people are always so nice, and they smile and they do their job and everything!!!!"  

It really is depressing how low the bar has gotten for what is considered "really good" service in the USA these days... basically, as long as they don't spit in our food and actually bring us what we ordered, we count ourselves lucky.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

Watching BD. Lee is just a grumpy guy. He can't even deliver a compliment in a nice way. Who is watching?

Recording to watch on Friday!

15 minutes ago, TravelGirlinDallas said:

Finally got our house decorated! DBB4475A-A6DB-4808-BE60-611C9E58AE89.thumb.jpeg.5ecfdd5842958afa823665f681987646.jpeg

31E72A85-26AB-4B30-BAD9-91EB46E4FFB8.thumb.jpeg.c528d93759c402421f0baf94d9168c94.jpeg

The retro white ceramic tree was made by my grandmother, in the picture on the left. I love it so much.

D0F828E5-F626-4AF5-BB77-DDFF13E6C25C.thumb.jpeg.98f3fa4b1637d90b80f7d76ce1436abb.jpeg

CF46AEE7-A404-48F5-8CAE-2FC0BAA7526E.thumb.jpeg.d711017fe3b0f8c6e3938c74e8bedf77.jpeg

17DDCC3E-7235-47DE-B9CC-74F52787AC7D.thumb.jpeg.0e80c87586ddb849785da746940bc561.jpeg

E6525B62-F87E-4FB7-A83E-8045B3778B95.thumb.jpeg.e1a567d40de625f5f7d0316184fdd2dc.jpeg

New ornaments from our Alaskan cruise last summer.

A06506FE-20E9-4E73-A137-56DBD161B6D5.thumb.jpeg.bd5b809062c7c77771110bd753e7b014.jpeg

7A1B878B-FFC2-4C5F-93E2-AC27C5084596.thumb.jpeg.38b31588963640a757d220c252cfee32.jpeg

And one of Lucy for good measure.

B214F0DF-1CD8-4AAA-B2E5-8FCFFFD09B99.thumb.jpeg.74a4c743d3745da69e8038fd6bf72838.jpeg

Well done! Your decorations are beautiful.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Luckynana said:

Beautiful Tree!!!! Thank you for sharing.   We haven't been there since we went with the grandchildren to see "Frozen" four years ago.  Too much going on this year to get in to the City.🎄

We always took our daughter in Dec. to see the tree and ice skaters at Rockefeller Center.  A trip to FAO Schwartz was tradition as well as viewing the decorated windows of Lord and Taylor Dept. Store.  No matter what holiday one celebrates, it's a totally magical experience.

@mets07Thanks for posting pictures of the TREE!

@TravelGirlinDallas Your decorated house looks lovely.   Very warm and inviting.   

• Like 7

12 minutes ago, BonTexasNY said:

We always took our daughter in Dec. to see the tree and ice skaters at Rockefeller Center.  A trip to FAO Schwartz was tradition as well as viewing the decorated windows of Lord and Taylor Dept. Store.  No matter what holiday one celebrates, it's a totally magical experience.

@mets07Thanks for posting pictures of the TREE!

@TravelGirlinDallas Your decorated house looks lovely.   Very warm and inviting.   

We are way behind on our Christmas decorations because of last week’s cruise will add everything next weekend. Happy to see what others have done .

• Like 3

3 hours ago, xpcdoojk said:

I am thinking that comparing the NCL experience in Hawaii to anything is just a fail, because of the American Crew or lack of… to any other cruise experience is just never going to go well for it.  I haven’t done NCL or NCLA, but have friends who have.  You go on that cruise only for the experience not the cruise.

jc

I knew there would be differences. I didn’t expect them to be that pronounced. I’m sure a standard NCL cruise would be much more similar to what I’m used to. The experience in Hawaii was great and as I said I’m glad we went. This trip did help confirm in my mind the idea that the ship, at least for me, is a big part of the destination. 

• Like 6

9 hours ago, brillohead said:

Oh, and I'm back from playing Monopoly.  Evidently, lighthouse cookies put you on Santa's Naughty List.

Clearly “Santa” has no sense of humour.  Maybe it’s the high stress levels at the toy factor this week. 

Welcome back. 

9 hours ago, xpcdoojk said:

Here I thought the cookies were Jimbo’s????

welcome home.  We missed you even if I didn’t know you were gone.🤣

Surly “Santa’s” mind should have seen it too.  I guess one should not elude to what they see. 

Edited by A&L_Ont
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

I knew there would be differences. I didn’t expect them to be that pronounced. I’m sure a standard NCL cruise would be much more similar to what I’m used to. The experience in Hawaii was great and as I said I’m glad we went. This trip did help confirm in my mind the idea that the ship, at least for me, is a big part of the destination. 

It sounds as the ship in this case was more like a bus/train than the normal experience. It really just gets you from A to B, with little flair. I guess a true floating hotel, like motel six. 

• Like 4

10 hours ago, brillohead said:

I'm on Celebrity (Eastern Caribbean) right now, and I see very few masks on anyone.  

I think the government is going to have a hard time forcing anything like that again here in the USA market.

Probably not, and I am just being extra cautious because I know how miserable we would be if they did.  Plus, the trip we would want to do is the Panama Canal and I think there are still restrictions for those.  We have the spring already filled with trips and then we will see.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, MJSailors said:

@TravelGirlinDallas Your home is so very welcoming!

The decorations are lovely.

Wishing you ,your hubby and son a happy Christmas .

MJ🙋🏻

Thank you! ❤️

8 minutes ago, Keksie said:

Decorations are finished.

1601456934_Bigtree.thumb.jpeg.fdd3000e5b29715ccda68b47a2e5c48b.jpeg

Very nice! Do your cats chew the tree? I had to put Andrew's baby gate back up to block our cats from the room with the tree, because they were chewing the lower branches completely bare. They don't bother the ornaments, they just want to eat the plastic needles.

Edited by TravelGirlinDallas
  • Like 1