Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

14 minutes ago, DaniDanielle said:

Charlie is four years older but my daughter is 9 months older than her husband and my sons are younger than their wives. Not much but still younger!

Yup, not much younger but still enough that he will call me old lady until November.🤪

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Sea Dog said:

I always had a crush on Rachel Welch. From the movie "One Million Years B.C."

I still have that one rolled in a tube in my attic.  I probably have about 50 posters up there, from the 60’s and early 70’s

• Like 2

Ours was one of those sweet pension plans you rarely find.  You could retire at 55 with 20 years service.  Pension was based on a multiplier x years of service x average of 3 highest years of salary.  I was out the door at 65 with 39.5 years service, and take home from pension was more than what it was before I retired.  Easy choice. 😁

Wife’s was 60 with 20 years service, and pension would be 50% of final salary.  It would never go above 50%, so she was out at 60.  But the advantage for her was they would also pay her medical insurance from 60 until Medicare eligible.  Another easy choice.  

My social security is sitting there, growing 8% every year, and I will take it when I hit 70.  Because I have a younger wife, that worked out perfectly.  I was full retirement age when she took hers at 62.  The government actually sent me a letter to let me know I could suspend taking mine, and draw on her record.  Some of you youngsters can’t do that, because they changed the law, but this is one time I don’t mind being a little older. 

She is 4 1/2 years younger. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, h20skibum said:

I probably have about 50 posters up there, from the 60’s and early 70’s

I bet you have some great ones. I wonder if they are worth some money? I had some cool 1970's psychedelic posters that I wish I would of kept and had framed.

1 hour ago, reallyitsmema said:

I am seven months older than my husband.  Surprised to see how many of us are older than our husbands.

Me too. Guess it’s more common than I thought. I’m seven years older. 

And the poster on my wall as a young teenager was David Cassidy.

• Like 5

19 hours ago, Momof3gurlz said:

Congrats! Be aware they’ll put off paying you as long as possible. I turned 62 in March of 2019 and applied right away. First off, I learned eligibility is the month AFTER you turn 62 ( or 65, etc).  Okay, expected my first payment in April 2019. Nope, you get your first payment the month FOLLOWING your eligibility month. Okay, expected my first payment beginning of May 2019. Nope, it’s based on your day of birth - for me, the 21st of March. So I received my first payment on May 28th 🤷🏻‍♀️.  
It’s almost like it’s the government LOL!

LOL...government procedures as usual.  😉 

No...I am turning 66 on the 5th of June.  Put it off to wait for full bennies at 66 and two months.  Which means first week of August for me.  I am applying early enough, so it should work out.  If it is delayed...no big deal.  I have survived this long without it..one more month or two won't hurt me. 

• Like 4

18 hours ago, George C said:

I waited till I was 67 and a couple of months, every month you delay you increase your payment, I should have waited till 70 which is maximum amount . I retired at 65 , wife has a very good job. 

True...but you also have to calculate the loss of the total amount of money of the monthly checks you did not take from age 62 to age 70.  I waited due to health care benefits. 

Bucky took his at 62. We took into consideration the total of the payment checks he would have received over those 8 years (but did not take) then what his higher amount at 70 would have been.  His break even would have been age 80.  

Now...that is assuming we all live past 70 to get those bigger checks...and how much longer do we have after that.  

It is all a gamble, with timing on our part....and Social Security Admin.  

Edited by island lady
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Laura retired the day she turned 56. I just quit. 

Wasn't going to let her have fun without me anymore

I was going to wait until age 55...Bucky retired at 58.  He was retired for a year, then finally told me he didn't have anyone to play with( I never had any time off)...so he told me to quit at 54.   I was going through a lot of stress with my job anyway, and he was home enough then to actually see it.  

Boss and team even threw me a retirement party.  🙂 

Edited by island lady
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, BonTexasNY said:

You sound like the doctor we all wish we had.  

Thank you. However, I suspect that @John&LaLawould disagree with you. Between his Mexican self practice of medicine and expecting his doctor to sign any piece of paper requested, he and I would be at constant odds.🤨😇

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, BecciBoo said:

Do ya'll dive?  We had a dive vacation in Bonaire some years ago....the Scientology ship was docked there and we watched all of their passengers when we were at the local Espresso shop downtown, as they all swam every morning, talk about control!  They all filed out of the ship, dove into the harbor, swam across it and back in the ship.  Sorry, no offense meant if there are any on here.

Bonaire is really the best diving in the Carib IMHO, you walk off the beach and dive any location you want all around the island. I love the tarpon there who like to swim with the divers.

Alas, no more diving for this cougar😏

I have heard the expression "Bonaire is where professional divers go to vacation".   So true.  🙂 

Our favorite is to walk left after disembarking, taking our own snorkel gear with us, pop on the little ferry at the restaurant along the waterfront (which is great for lunch on return), and head to "No Name Key"...AKA Klein Bonaire.   No facilities, but fantastic and very easy snorkeling.  Nice beach too.  Hop back on the ferry anytime we want. 

Edited by island lady

11 minutes ago, island lady said:

I have heard the expression "Bonaire is where professional divers go to vacation".   So true.  🙂 

Our favorite is to walk left after disembarking, taking our own snorkel gear with us, pop on the little ferry at the restaurant along the waterfront (which is great for lunch on return), and head to "No Name Key"...AKA Klein Bonaire.   No facilities, but fantastic and very easy snorkeling.  Nice beach too.  Hop back on the ferry anytime we want. 

We did the same, totally deserted, but great Jack colonies that swim with you,  fun jaunt for the day, we took a picnic.  Not much to see underwater but the jack though.  Not much coral over there.  There were Tarpon, practically pets, I can't seem to locate my pics of them in picture file, but I have some somewhere.  Huge Aluminum foil fish and they love divers, it seems divers will scare bait fish up for them so they follow us.  They were so fun.  

Woodwind Bonaire is one of the best (maybe THE best) cruise excursion that we've done,  Great snorkeling and an overall great experience.  I heard a rumor that the wife (can't recall her name) of the husband and wife team that owns Woodwind was battling breast cancer a couple of years ago.  Hopefully, that's behind her and she's back onboard.

• Like 1

We are off to a great start with our house sale.  Our listing was posted as "Coming Soon" status at 8:40 this morning.  Coming soon means you can see the listing and book showing times, but can't make an offer.  We go "active" on Friday morning when showings can happen and offers can be made.  In the first 4 hours, we have 14 showings schedule for Friday!  Once Friday fills up, we expect more on Saturday.  Agents are telling their clients not to wait until Saturday since we could get a great offer on Friday and cancel Saturday showings.  Our agent expects 20-30 showings over Friday/Saturday and 5-6 offers.  We even had a potential buyer outside of our house at 9:30 this morning checking it out in person while her agent scheduled a showing time.  

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, DirtyDawg said:

There are new versions?

I don't think we have those yet up here in the Velma Deprived Great White North.

Definitely NSFW😉

Google at your own discretion

Screenshot_20210519-130732_Chrome.thumb.jpg.21886ea927904841b66f36cbfe95754b.jpg

Edited by John&LaLa
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

I've been busy at work so I'm trying to get caught up.

@dani negreanu Still thinking of you.

@John&LaLa Liked Velma but loved Daphne

I am (Greg) 7 months older than my wife Linda

I was going to retire last year but my cruise got cancelled so I moved my retirement date to this November when both Linda and I will retire at the same time and go on our retirement cruise. I've worked in broadcast television for over 41 years and my wife as a prosecuting attorney over 27 years. We are ready to cruise and see the world.

Had a Farrah Fawcett poster and this one which was my favorite. I always had a crush on Rachel Welch. From the movie "One Million Years B.C."

100 Million BC.jpg

My uncle had this. And so did Andy Dufresne😉

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, BecciBoo said:

We did the same, totally deserted, but great Jack colonies that swim with you,  fun jaunt for the day, we took a picnic.  Not much to see underwater but the jack though.  Not much coral over there.  There were Tarpon, practically pets, I can't seem to locate my pics of them in picture file, but I have some somewhere.  Huge Aluminum foil fish and they love divers, it seems divers will scare bait fish up for them so they follow us.  They were so fun.  

When we went, we walked up the beach with our snorkel gear to the "cut through" they described.  Swam through the shallow coral onto the other side where it drops off.  With the current...it was super easy to float along on the surface near the ridge of the coral wall.  Saw hundreds of tropical fish.  Just floating along was quiet, so the fish did not dart away so much.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

We are off to a great start with our house sale.  Our listing was posted as "Coming Soon" status at 8:40 this morning.  Coming soon means you can see the listing and book showing times, but can't make an offer.  We go "active" on Friday morning when showings can happen and offers can be made.  In the first 4 hours, we have 14 showings schedule for Friday!  Once Friday fills up, we expect more on Saturday.  Agents are telling their clients not to wait until Saturday since we could get a great offer on Friday and cancel Saturday showings.  Our agent expects 20-30 showings over Friday/Saturday and 5-6 offers.  We even had a potential buyer outside of our house at 9:30 this morning checking it out in person while her agent scheduled a showing time.  

Wow...yup...I knew it.  Your house is beautiful!!  Demand is high...and yours is one of the cream of the crop.  You should sell it this weekend.  🙂 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DaniDanielle said:

Charlie is four years older but my daughter is 9 months older than her husband and my sons are younger than their wives. Not much but still younger!

One of my nephews is younger than his wife but looks older.

(It is 82 degrees outside today.Summer is here but we never had a Spring)

1 hour ago, Sea Dog said:

I bet you have some great ones. I wonder if they are worth some money? I had some cool 1970's psychedelic posters that I wish I would of kept and had framed.

I have several posters signed by famous athletes and one by a well known author.

• Like 1