Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

10 hours ago, HBE4 said:

@dani negreanu You are correct on all counts.  My evenings are countless hours on the phone with my family, her family, my friends, her friends, our friends, our neighbors, co-workers, etc. And when I'm done, it's time to start all over. Without them, I would not be able to get thru this. Talk therapy works.

Here, on CC, I've been shy with the details only because they are so disturbing that I doubt anyone would want to read them. But for those that do (and for those that don't may want to skip to the next post now), here we go:

The anoxic brain injury was caused by a massive blood clot that cut off circulation to both lungs, backed up the blood into the heart and caused a cardiac arrest.  This is what I woke up to Easter morning. Between me and the paramedics, she was under CPR for 45+ minutes, about twice the usual time CPR is performed. Once at the hospital, it got worse. Incubated on a ventilator for 2 weeks,  kidneys failing, pneumonia, blood infection, erratic heart rate, erratic blood pressure, new clots forming, internal bleeding. For the first two weeks, every conversation with the doctor started with "If she makes it thru the night.....:" Yet, she rallied and recovered from all the above ailments with flying colors, stabilized and  is now breathing on her own, with the help of a trach tube (no ventilator). Physically, she is rocking it! I have nothing but the utmost respect for the doctors and nurses at the hospital. But her brain was deprived of oxygen for too long and there is no coming back from that. Technically, she is not in a coma but she has not been "awake" once since this ordeal has started.

So now we wait and see, waiting for that miracle.  Early on, my days were filled with hospital visits, phones calls with doctors, nurses, social workers, case managers, physical therapists,  hospital administrators, brain trauma facilities, insurance companies and lawyers (to protect me financially, not to sue).  Now I just have the visits  with here so I have ore time on my hands.

And what better way to spend it than reading about home remodels, gardening, new pets, A&L_Ont latest high performance vehicle, the lifting of covid restrictions and this...

Yes! without a doubt the most beautiful.  And the only one to stay for the entire length of the show.  Show loyalty and smarts.

There are no words, just know you are in all our prayers.  Please do stop by when you can for a bit of a reprieve, this thread and the Bella one are great distractions and not the cut throat ones you see on the main boards regularly.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, HBE4 said:

@dani negreanu You are correct on all counts.  My evenings are countless hours on the phone with my family, her family, my friends, her friends, our friends, our neighbors, co-workers, etc. And when I'm done, it's time to start all over. Without them, I would not be able to get thru this. Talk therapy works.

Here, on CC, I've been shy with the details only because they are so disturbing that I doubt anyone would want to read them. But for those that do (and for those that don't may want to skip to the next post now), here we go:

The anoxic brain injury was caused by a massive blood clot that cut off circulation to both lungs, backed up the blood into the heart and caused a cardiac arrest.  This is what I woke up to Easter morning. Between me and the paramedics, she was under CPR for 45+ minutes, about twice the usual time CPR is performed. Once at the hospital, it got worse. Incubated on a ventilator for 2 weeks,  kidneys failing, pneumonia, blood infection, erratic heart rate, erratic blood pressure, new clots forming, internal bleeding. For the first two weeks, every conversation with the doctor started with "If she makes it thru the night.....:" Yet, she rallied and recovered from all the above ailments with flying colors, stabilized and  is now breathing on her own, with the help of a trach tube (no ventilator). Physically, she is rocking it! I have nothing but the utmost respect for the doctors and nurses at the hospital. But her brain was deprived of oxygen for too long and there is no coming back from that. Technically, she is not in a coma but she has not been "awake" once since this ordeal has started.

So now we wait and see, waiting for that miracle.  Early on, my days were filled with hospital visits, phones calls with doctors, nurses, social workers, case managers, physical therapists,  hospital administrators, brain trauma facilities, insurance companies and lawyers (to protect me financially, not to sue).  Now I just have the visits  with here so I have ore time on my hands.

And what better way to spend it than reading about home remodels, gardening, new pets, A&L_Ont latest high performance vehicle, the lifting of covid restrictions and this...

Yes! without a doubt the most beautiful.  And the only one to stay for the entire length of the show.  Show loyalty and smarts.

Thank you for sharing your story. It isn't much but all I can offer is that there won't be a day that there isn't thoughts and prayers from my family to yours.  I wish there could be more.

Edited by Tree_skier
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, DirtyDawg said:

I never had the Farrah poster in my high school years. Lynda Carter from Wonder Woman was up on my wall. When I moved on to University I had posters of the girl who was in IMHO the best American TV comedy show ever, WKRP in Cincinnati, Jan Smithers. I also had one of Pam Dawber from Mork and Mindy. 

I always preferred the brunettes over the bombshell blondes

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, George C said:

Not me , I have a much younger blonde wife .

Although my wife is a little older than I am, I am ever thankful for her.  I certainly don't deserve a companion this good but sometimes even a blind squirrel finds a nut. Now, with my broken down, out of shape body and chaotic life, if my wife passed or left me, I'd be alone for the rest of my years. I'd be lucky if my cat stayed with me, let alone get a young pretty wife.

Congrats on your good fortune. 🙂 

Edited by Tree_skier
  • Like 5

14 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

I always preferred the brunettes over the bombshell blondes

I always preferred Brainy, Beguiling, Bombshell Brunettes myself. 

Did I ever mention Mrs. Dawg is a triple threat brunette! 😁

• Like 1

10 hours ago, HBE4 said:

@dani negreanu You are correct on all counts. Talk therapy works.

Technically, she is not in a coma but she has not been "awake" once since this ordeal has started.

Now I just have the visits  with here so I have ore time on my hands.

4 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Please continue to hold out hope for that miracle to happen.  I'm going to tell a brief story about one of our best friends that I briefly mentioned on this thread.

He had a massive stroke on or about December 17th. He was breathing on his own but various scans and tests showed no brain activity.

About 10 days later a nurse noticed some movement and he woke up!!!

A true miracle

She is still alive for a reason.  So please continue holding on to hope that she too will come out of this.  Her body has been thru a lot and rest is helping her heal.

Please take care of yourself too as you need to be strong for when she does wake up and needs you🥰

4 hours ago, Lionesss said:

HBE4

The one thing that Impacted me was something I did when  my very elderly father was in the hospital after suffering a massive heart attack, and had minimal heart function left. I read soft tactile stimulus and conversation can be soothing.

I would sit there hold his hand and talk about all the memories I had growing up.  From childhood, his fishing stories, to just plain anything, I talked for hours.

Well one night he woke up at 3am.  And in return we talked and talked and talked about everything from his childhood, to mine.  It was special. 

But just talking I knew he heard. He responded and we had those precious hours that we conversed.

Talk and share your memories. Cry more if you have too.

Your wife could possibly hear you.  Studies have shown that hearing is present, but the ill family member may not be able to let you know they hear you.

If it is hard to talk, play some music, or put on her favorite TV show softly in the room.

You know she loves you, she just cannot share her love for you back at this time.

I hope you'll find strength and hope from our posts.

My SIL, DH's only sister, is not "awake" for the last 5+ years. Exactly same "injury" like your DW.

DH is traveling frequently to the facility where she's spending time, armed with a book and he reads to her, while holding her hand. She was widowed at 35 (lost her DH at 39 to cancer), and her 2 kids are also reading to her.

All hoping for a miracle... and, as you've seen above, they do happen. Some of them just take time.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, DirtyDawg said:

I always preferred Brainy, Beguiling, Bombshell Brunettes myself. 

Did I ever mention Mrs. Dawg is a triple threat brunette! 😁

My wife is the same... When I met her in 1983 she was the spitting image of Anni-Frid Lyngstad in 1976. Smart, educated and she had a bright future.  I almost upended that bright future.  Thankfully she helped make me a lot better than I was and a lot better than was likely to become.

Edited by Tree_skier
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, helen haywood said:

Never mind flying turkeys.  Here in the south we have flying roaches!!!  😳

Ewww...ewww!!  I cant' stand those things!  Bad enough being a roach...but one with wings...makes me shiver.  😬

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Tree_skier said:

Although my wife is a little older than I am, I am ever thankful for her.  I certainly don't deserve a companion this good but sometimes even a blind squirrel finds a nut. Now, with my broken down, out of shape body and chaotic life, if my wife passed or left me, I'd be alone for the rest of my years. I'd be lucky if my cat stayed with me, let alone get a young pretty wife.

Congrats on your good fortune. 🙂 

You are selling yourself short.  I am guessing your wife considers you a keeper and thinks otherwise. 😉 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

But us blondes have more fun 😇

Yes we do...and for some reason seem to get away with things a bit easier.  😄 

Edited by island lady
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

I hope you'll find strength and hope from our posts.

My SIL, DH's only sister, is not "awake" for the last 5+ years. Exactly same "injury" like your DW.

DH is traveling frequently to the facility where she's spending time, armed with a book and he reads to her, while holding her hand. She was widowed at 35 (lost her DH at 39 to cancer), and her 2 kids are also reading to her.

All hoping for a miracle... and, as you've seen above, they do happen. Some of them just take time.

Your SIL has been very unlucky in losing her husband and being in a coma all these years.

Your DH is a true brother to her visiting her facility regularly to try to help her recover.

Hopefully one day she will wake up and be with you both again.

I hope things are quieter in Israel Dani and you are all safe.

Take care.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, singinalot said:

since I know a few of you also plan in the same way I do, I thought I'd upload where I'm at so far with points vs. cash breakdown for the planned October Greece trip. I'm pretty proud of the miles/points we've stacked up for this. I got approval from work today to take the time off. woohoo.  Keeping my fingers and toes crossed and breath held....

Greek Isles DIY - Sheet1.pdf 52.75 kB · 1 download

Very nice!  We save our points and miles for big trips too.  

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, singinalot said:

since I know a few of you also plan in the same way I do, I thought I'd upload where I'm at so far with points vs. cash breakdown for the planned October Greece trip. I'm pretty proud of the miles/points we've stacked up for this. I got approval from work today to take the time off. woohoo.  Keeping my fingers and toes crossed and breath held....

Greek Isles DIY - Sheet1.pdf 52.75 kB · 4 downloads

On our last European cruise we saved about 150 k miles each on American and they told us we didn’t have enough for business class , I then canceled my American Airlines credit card.

• Like 1

I have seen a couple of the Suzuki Mini-me vehicles, converted to look like old VW vans, in our area.   This one just got delivered last week. Or, it could be a Subaru sambar.  They are both used for conversions. 

292ADD09-AF5F-49EC-AAC6-2BBCDACBABA8.thumb.jpeg.6aca5c5cbaa88e8f4ca96061a015ab5d.jpeg

They are so tall and narrow, I would think a strong wind would blow them over.  

Edited by h20skibum
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, island lady said:

Wooohoo!!   Just applied for social security benefits on line just now.   

Let the direct deposits begin!!  😄 

Congrats! Be aware they’ll put off paying you as long as possible. I turned 62 in March of 2019 and applied right away. First off, I learned eligibility is the month AFTER you turn 62 ( or 65, etc).  Okay, expected my first payment in April 2019. Nope, you get your first payment the month FOLLOWING your eligibility month. Okay, expected my first payment beginning of May 2019. Nope, it’s based on your day of birth - for me, the 21st of March. So I received my first payment on May 28th 🤷🏻‍♀️.  
It’s almost like it’s the government LOL!

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, singinalot said:

Greek Isles DIY - Sheet1.pdf 52.75 kB · 9 downloads

Great job on collecting those points for flights and hotel.    That is a huge help!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DirtyDawg said:

Good News in Ontario today. Every adult is now eligible to get the Covid vaccine as of 8am this morning!!!

Signed my daughter up last night under the “can’t work from home” and my son this morning.  My daughters appointment is this Friday and my sons is June 1. 

• Like 11
  • Haha 1