Is the Koningsdam heading back to the Caribbean

rjbean4

Knowing that we are about to lose sight of Koningsdam as since I was the one that started this thread when I noticed the change in where she was going, I'm so glad that so many people found it and could spend their day at home under the current conditions to watch this transit. I have only started a thread a handful of times but this has been the biggest one by far. Here is hoping that everyone continues to stay healthy and stay home to get through this. Oh and Happy Easter too. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, rjbean4 said:

Knowing that we are about to lose sight of Koningsdam as since I was the one that started this thread when I noticed the change in where she was going, I'm so glad that so many people found it and could spend their day at home under the current conditions to watch this transit. I have only started a thread a handful of times but this has been the biggest one by far. Here is hoping that everyone continues to stay healthy and stay home to get through this. Oh and Happy Easter too. 

Great thread!

Now 2 question for everyone.

1. where will she lay up

2. When will she do the reverse transit of the canal? 😉

1 minute ago, VMax1700 said:

Great thread!

1. where will she lay up

She was scheduled to do Pacific Coast, then on to Alaska cruises, and Mexican Riviera next winter.

5 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

Great thread!

1. where will she lay up

Thank you. Yes a couple of interesting questions. HAL ships on the wst coast have been hanging around the Puerto Vallarta, Cabo San Lucas, La Paz area. There are now 7 Dam Ships at the Grand Bahama anchorage so half of the fleet are together. Something that has never happened. 

Edited by rjbean4

5 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

Great thread!

1. where will she lay up

My guess: She is scheduled for Alaska cruises, but those are not going to happen until after at least July 1 or July 20ish (depending upon the CDC for the latter.  Transiting back would be in the early fall unless Mexican Riviera cruises are an option.  Layup would likely be in Mexico with the other HAL ships that have Alaska itineraries. 

I could be wrong, but the above are my educated guesses.

Edited by Btimmer

3 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

1.  San Diego, to wait for the start of the Alaska season....

2.  She'll go through backwards, just to prove she can do it...

3 minutes ago, leerathje said:

She was scheduled to do Pacific Coast, then on to Alaska cruises, and Mexican Riviera next winter.

1 minute ago, rjbean4 said:

Thank you. Yes a couple of interesting questions. HAL ships on the wst coast have been hanging around the Puerto Vallarta, Cabo San Lucas, La Paz area.

1 minute ago, Btimmer said:

My guess: She is scheduled for Alaska cruises, but those are not going to happen until after at least July 1 or July 20ish (depending upon the CDC for the latter.  Transiting back would be in the early fall.  Layup would likely be in Mexico with the other HAL ships that have Alaska itineraries. 

I could be wrong, but the above are my educated guesses.

I believe the positive from this is that HAL are positioning her for future cruises.  

Now hopefully they will send a couple of ship towards Europe soon.

Time to go celebrate the success of this thread. Happy Easter to everyone and stay safe. Pizza is in the oven and cold beer in the frig ready to go. I had my laptop set up down stairs so it was easier for my mom to be able to watch this too. Its become harder for her to do stairs. Been a eventful few weeks. Was a great feeling with what I did to help Kindergirl get her parents back from the World Cruise. Then the situation with the Zaandam and Rotterdam and now this. At least at this point too is that all HAL ships are clear of any on board passengers. Finally.

Edited by rjbean4

3 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

I believe the positive from this is that HAL are positioning her for future cruises.  

Now hopefully they will send a couple of ship towards Europe soon.

Yes, that is a positive! 

44 minutes ago, rjbean4 said:

As I said earlier whoever said this couldn't be done is now eating their words. Now Its known that it can be which maybe opens the doors for future transits for Koningsdam. Way to go big K. We have done 40 days on her.

It was never a "it can't be done," it was a "The PCA won't allow it" - something has changed with the latter  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Can such make that much a difference?  

22 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

My rough calculation was about a foot. 

That's about what I figured too, assuming 3000 pax (max 3375, double occupancy 2650) weigh an average of 175 pounds and each brings a 50 pound suitcase.  I don't have any way of guessing at the weight of fuel or provisions, but lets say that makes another 1/2 ft difference.  Maybe that's enough to change it from no-go to go at the lowest point in each lock.

1 minute ago, Copper10-8 said:

It was never a "it can't be done," it was a "The PCA won't allow it" - something has changed with the latter  

That is precisely what I have learned.  "The PCA won't allow it".  A finger was pointed.

I'm dating myself, but so what?  As the former radio commentator Paul Harvey once said:  "And, here is the rest of the story".    

• Like 2

On 4/10/2020 at 12:39 PM, SedNabokos said:

I'm saving regular snapshots of the Agua Clara webcam, assuming they don't block me I will turn it into a timelapse video like I did for the Zaandam and Rotterdam

I'm in a timezone 13 hours ahead of Panama, so if it's a night transit I'll be able to watch it live.

I woke up just in time to see Koningsdam depart Cocoli. 

Sad I missed most of it, but fortunately my little program was saving snapshots while I slept.

Timelapse videos of Koningsdam transiting

Agua Clara Locks:  https://imgur.com/LeHOwFU

and Cocoli Locks:  https://imgur.com/vCtM8Yl

Edited by SedNabokos
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Thanks to the OP and everyone who entered into the discussion on this thread. It has been an interesting and educational way to spend a part of a "safer at home" day.

DFD1

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, SedNabokos said:

I woke up just in time to see Koningsdam depart Cocoli. 

Sad I missed most of it, but fortunately my little program was saving snapshots while I slept.

Timelapse videos of Koningsdam transiting

Agua Clara Locks:  https://imgur.com/LeHOwFU

and Cocoli Locks:  https://imgur.com/vCtM8Yl

Thank you for the timelapse photos....I was late to the Party!!!