November cruise

Moz

Have booked a November cruise and we are considering canceling it.  We have booked through a TA company and when I booked she assured me we would get our down payment back.  Would appreciated what others think about cruising in November (I will be 90) and if anyone has gotten their down payment back this early,  (three people)  Thank you,

Our Seaside cruise is the first week of October.

I would still like to go but feel they will cancel. Once this is over I think it will take them a long time to get things up & running again.

We are in our 70's.

MSC will refund the deposit and any additional payments up to the deposit loss date which for cruises less than 15 nights is 90 days out for regular cabins and 120 days out for Yacht club cabins.  As long as you are not worried about MSC's ability to pull through this financial hardship you have at least until August, or July if in Yacht Club, to decide.  Some travel agents have their own cancellation fees, so another consideration could be whether these may only be temporarily waived due to current circumstances and not waived later.

Edited by Até

We would go ahead and book a cruise now except , my understanding is that , deposits for YC are Non-Refundable. Not worth losing $400 if end of year looks uncertain.

Edited by phissy
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, phissy said:

We would go ahead and book a cruise now except , my understanding is that , deposits for YC are Non-Refundable.

Attached are the MSC US website page and Booking Terms PDF document showing YC cancellation up to 120 days before cruise gets all money back.  From 120 to 90 days you only lose the deposit and only after day 89 start losing a percentage of the fare.  Individual TA payment dates and cancellation fees may be different.

https://www.msccruisesusa.com/en-us/Terms-Conditions.aspx

TERMS_AND_CONDITIONS_Master02.05.2020.pdf

Edited by Até

Top of page 4 of document you referenced shows.......MSC YachtClub bookings have Non-Refundable Deposit amount depending on length of cruise.  Am I missing something?

Edited by phissy

53 minutes ago, phissy said:

Top of page 4 of document you referenced shows.......MSC YachtClub bookings have Non-Refundable Deposit amount depending on length of cruise.  Am I missing something?

Thank you for this information on MSC YC. I wasnt aware of this and now need to go see how much downpayment I gave. My cruise in February 2021 on Seaside in YC. Just canceled my August NCL Haven cruise and hoping I dont have to cancel our two cabins in YC.  

4 hours ago, phissy said:

Very interesting I see what you are referencing on page four of the new Terms document, I floated a thread looking for things like this I was concerned I might have missed problems about these new Terms issued in February on the MSC site.  This new Terms format is definitely a conglomeration of policy MSC has thrown together last minute.  Your point is well taken and a valid point of concern.  I have cancelled multiple YC bookings without problem with the "usual" 120 day policy and got my deposit back.  Unless I get it in writing I will forego any further YC bookings.  Leave it to MSC to shoot themselves during a time of crisis needing new bookings.

Edited by Até

We have a mid-October Seaside Yacht Club cruise on the books.  So far we're just waiting to see what happens since, as others have said, we have until July to make a decision to cancel or not.  If it actually sails, it will be a welcome change from the current stay-at-home orders.  Wife and I are 70.

On 4/8/2020 at 7:31 PM, phissy said:

Top of page 4 of document you referenced shows....

That PDF document has now been removed from the MSC US site.  They have also removed any within-site links to the Terms and Conditions web page, but the direct link I posted still works.  I expect they will be fixing that PDF YC deposit error and trying to get other confusing wording corrected.

I still don't think MSC is actively lying to people, more a case of too many policies across the different markets.  And unfortunately some shoddy work gets presented to the public then has to be retracted/corrected.

• 3 months later...

Is this correct for the deposits in USA? Are they not refundable? 
If not, can they be applied to a cruise that would be booked?

I have four YC deposits for different sailings. 

Thank you. 

I never got a response from MSC US regarding the non-refundable verbiage for YC bookings, which is very specific.  The change first appeared about April 1st, 2020 and has continued to today's Terms and Conditions through several revisions so MSC's position may depend on your booking date.  I've not talked to a phone agent yet that knows about this recent wording change and all still state YC booking deposits are fully refundable back to the form of payment.  The Cancellation by passenger section still shows YC deposits becoming non-refundable at 120 days before sailing so it is unlikely MSC can hold you to their inconsistent contract.  I'd keep a copy.

BookingTC062020.pdf

Edited by Até

1 hour ago, Até said:

I never got a response from MSC US regarding the non-refundable verbiage for YC bookings, which is very specific.  The change first appeared about April 1st, 2020 and has continued to today's Terms and Conditions through several revisions so MSC's position may depend on your booking date.  I've not talked to a phone agent yet that knows about this recent wording change and all still state YC booking deposits are fully refundable back to the form of payment.  The Cancellation by passenger section still shows YC deposits becoming non-refundable at 120 days before sailing so it is unlikely MSC can hold you to their inconsistent contract.  I'd keep a copy.

BookingTC062020.pdf 251.77 kB · 3 downloads

This is very helpful. Thank you again. 

38 minutes ago, lovemycruisetoo said:

I canceled 3 YC bookings before the 120 day cutoff and was refunded every one. 

Thank you. I will be canceling two cruises before final payment and keep one but it all depends on if schools open here and my husband can go and if we are assigned cabins on Mera. 

20 hours ago, George C said:

Just sent a email to our travel agent to cancel our November cruise. Very strange for us not to have a cruise booked.

😔I am sorry to hear, George.  I know it is not an easy decision, but a smart one.  We are still hoping that we can cruise in Nov/Dec, but my half-full glass is starting to look a little emptier every week... Thankful for plenty of cruise memories and pictures to entertain ourselves! 🤗 Take care.