Now for something completely different

5 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

Our internet service comes with a TV set top box, a few extra Chanel’s and YouTube or if you subscribe Netflix, love being able to watch old TV shows on you tube you don’t see much any more, just binged on Beverly Hillbillies, might do Flintstones next. To be Frank Free to air TV is pretty ordinary.

And if you're missing cruising you can always binge on The Love Boat. 🤣

41 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Don't think I could resort to that even if our lockdown is extended.   Think I will keep walking.

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

Our internet service comes with a TV set top box, a few extra Chanel’s and YouTube or if you subscribe Netflix, love being able to watch old TV shows on you tube you don’t see much any more, just binged on Beverly Hillbillies, might do Flintstones next. To be Frank Free to air TV is pretty ordinary.

I have unlimited wifi on my iinet package, so I can watch youtube/netflix 24/7, lol.  I like to watch 'Rate My Takeaway',' McMaster '(food reviewers) and the legendary Gordon Ramsay in his kitchen nightmares, plus the aircrash disasters and police pursuits from America. Another good one is the long distance bus journeys around the world.

1 hour ago, GUT2407 said:

Saying FTA TV is pretty ordinary is giving it high praise which it doesn't deserve by a long shot. Thank Dog for smart TV's, there's a multitude of free good stuff if you search around.

2 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

A few years back we did 35 nights on Princess and managed to watch every episode, some in 5 or 10 minute blocks while dressing or drifting off to sleep.

3 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

Yes it is pretty ordinary. We have Foxtel, mainly for sport and a few other channels. We also have Amazon prime and have been watching a few shows on 7 Plus and 9 Now.

1 minute ago, possum52 said:

Yes it is pretty ordinary. We have Foxtel, mainly for sport and a few other channels. We also have Amazon prime and have been watching a few shows on 7 Plus and 9 Now.

'Amazon Prime' keep phoning me about my subscription,😁 telling me it will be automatically renewed for $99.99 unless I cancel!! I have never had Amazon Prime, but they insist I will be charged unless I cancel by down-loading the cancellation form. Yeah. Right. I don't fall for that one. 

BTW, I know it is not Amazon Prime that has phoned me probably 60-odd times with this same message.

6 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

'Amazon Prime' keep phoning me about my subscription,😁 telling me it will be automatically renewed for $99.99 unless I cancel!! I have never had Amazon Prime, but they insist I will be charged unless I cancel by down-loading the cancellation form. Yeah. Right. I don't fall for that one. 

BTW, I know it is not Amazon Prime that has phoned me probably 60-odd times with this same message.

My husband has been getting the same calls, sometime multiple calls a day. As I pay yearly, is in my name, and the amount is $59 we just laugh but do wonder how many people get scammed.

8 minutes ago, possum52 said:

My husband has been getting the same calls, sometime multiple calls a day. As I pay yearly, is in my name, and the amount is $59 we just laugh but do wonder how many people get scammed.

That is one thing I say to the caller "Why would you charge me $99.99 when the price listed on the internet is $59?"  I tell them they can charge me if they like, but it will be a bit difficult as they don't have my bank account or credit details. I had one caller tell me they would take the money out of my bank account anyway, to which I responded that it would be theft. I just have fun with them. They must get some people falling for the scam otherwise it wouldn't be going on so long.

What they want me to do is click onto their link to down-load their form, but the problem is what else would I be down-loading? Would it be ransomware or would I be giving them access to my computer?

As you say, we can get a couple of calls a day, so when I say we have had 60 calls, it could be 100.

I was searching for an email I hadn’t received so searched three junks. In Hotmail junk I had a number of emails from friends. Has anyone had this junk from people you actually know.  I know not to open link but I wonder how many people open these emails by mistake.  

Scams are becoming part of Norm..... you have to so carefully...

It interesting when you talk about Smart TV...  bought our new one July 2020, it wasn't until we were staying in the place in December 2020 and realized they had a smart TV.... and found one could stream Music videos....... wow

Finally  connected ours to internet  and bingo.... we could do the same at home, don't do it vey often.. but very good......  watch some stuff on the laptop....     So finally understand about smart tv.....

only took only 6 months...lol     Don

• Like 1

I had a very strange scam call last week. He wanted to talk to me about my car crash. When was it? Etc. (Of course, I had no car crash.)

Did not identify his company or any reason for the call.

I told him he needed to be more creative with his scam scenarios, and he hung up on me.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Docker123 said:

I had a very strange scam call last week. He wanted to talk to me about my car crash. When was it? Etc. (Of course, I had no car crash.)

I told him he needed to be more creative with his scam scenarios, and he hung up on me.

I had one of those years ago. It confused me for a while especially as phone scams weren't quite as common back then. We rarely answer our phones directly unless we recognize the number. Most of our friends contact us using online methods these days.

11 minutes ago, Docker123 said:

We used to get that call regularly, and were surprised to get one last week. They aren't actually a scam: they are trying to find 'leads' that are passed on to an Australian solicitor - an ambulance chaser. When we used to get this type of call regularly, I tried to find out where it was leading. One call I had last year, I mentioned that we had been in what would be called a 'fender bender' but we weren't injured. The caller kept trying to tell me I really was injured, but I didn't know it. They then say that I can claim the money, and that it is actually my money. They don't understand the concept of Third Party Insurance. All they are interested in is getting the commission for passing a contact on to the solicitors who are paying them to make the calls.

I once got the scam car crash call, pretended to have brain damage, easy for me, kept him on the phone for ages, but still couldn’t get to the bottom of what it was all about. But I do know of Solicitors who use similar tactics, there were frequent ads for a mob VOICES1, yeah I know the firm behind that.

• Like 1

As it has been too cold out in the garage to work on my bikes and, due to my recent surgery I can't go windsurfing for 6 weeks, I've been getting into something I can do inside, getting back into guitars. 

A couple of months ago I had my Teisco semi acoustic restored by a Maitland luthier. I've owned that one since about 1965. Some years back I bought a Samick Les Paul copy which I had the same luthier go over it and set it up correctly. A few weeks ago I bought a very cheap Fender Stratocaster copy made by Ashton as a project to upgrade and modify. Cost me all of $75.

I'm a rubbish guitar player but I enjoy it.

I don't know if anyone else on here is into guitars, it's never been mentioned, but I thought someone out there may be a Jimi Hendrix or Brian May wannabe like me.

I used to play, poorly, arthritis and Peripheral Neuropathy bought that to a halt to (BTW Eric Clapton has been forced to stop playing due to PN something we have in common, I with it was talent we shared).

Still have a Fender 12 string acoustic and a Cort, acoustic Bass. Was only ever a crap player.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, lyndarra said:

As it has been too cold out in the garage to work on my bikes and, due to my recent surgery I can't go windsurfing for 6 weeks, I've been getting into something I can do inside, getting back into guitars. 

A couple of months ago I had my Teisco semi acoustic restored by a Maitland luthier. I've owned that one since about 1965. Some years back I bought a Samick Les Paul copy which I had the same luthier go over it and set it up correctly. A few weeks ago I bought a very cheap Fender Stratocaster copy made by Ashton as a project to upgrade and modify. Cost me all of $75.

I'm a rubbish guitar player but I enjoy it.

I don't know if anyone else on here is into guitars, it's never been mentioned, but I thought someone out there may be a Jimi Hendrix or Brian May wannabe like me.

I always wanted to learn Bass but never did. I have been spending time watching you tube and there is a luthier that does really interesting videos of his repairs. Check it out you may get some insight into your project. Search twoodfrd on you tube.

Edited by Blackduck59

5 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

I always wanted to learn Bass but never did. I have been spending time watching you tube and there is a luthier that does really interesting videos of his repairs. Check it out you may get some insight into your project. Search twoodfrd on you tube.

I came across this a couple of days ago. I thought of you when I watched it.

No Guitars.... Keyboards and played Trombone at school.....

Have a rather old Roland  Juno-6  I bought in the 80's   which still works   ( well it did a few years ago )       Should pull it out...... and if my fingers still work.....lol

roland_juno6_angle.jpg.b907f1551d39be90917a70d0ed8a359b.jpg

Don

Edited by getting older slowly

I am at best a fiddler with music, Miss Gut can play near on anything, Piano, Guitar, Bass (including double bass) flute Saxaphone, a bit of violin, annoys me no end to see her pick up an instrument and away she goes, while I struggle with anything.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

I am at best a fiddler with music, Miss Gut can play near on anything, Piano, Guitar, Bass (including double bass) flute Saxaphone, a bit of violin, annoys me no end to see her pick up an instrument and away she goes, while I struggle with anything.

Where did she get her talent?  I have always admired people who can play a variety of musical instruments. One of my happiest musical experiences was in the Ozark Mountains where people join in jamming on the porch.  There was even one of those sticks with bottle tops left by an Aussie!  I had a

similiar experience in Newfoundland. 

• Like 1