Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines illegally withholding taxes and fees?

I am awaiting since 30 days my refunds and FCCs for RCI-cancelled cruises. 

At least the taxes and port fees they collected with full payments supposed to be refunded immediately. 

Is it illegal to withhold federal/state taxes and port fees when cruises are long time cancelled or will definitely not take place?

1 hour ago, cgncruiser said:

At least the taxes and port fees they collected with full payments supposed to be refunded immediately. 

Is it illegal to withhold federal/state taxes and port fees when cruises are long time cancelled or will definitely not take place?

Please show us what "law" states this.   Thanks

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

standard business practice is  6-8 weeks for any refunds to be processed.  not until after that time has passed do you have any legitimate  cause to pursue the matter.  

I am also the type of person that thinks if you can afford to spend the money for a vacation, having to wait a little time to get it back should not be an undue financial burden.  once you have paid for it, I consider it gone money.  

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

It would be considered fraud if they kept the money you paid for taxes and port fees.  Since people are reporting that they are receiving refunds, that means RCCL isn't holding the money.  It is just taking time to process the refunds.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, cgncruiser said:

Keep calling.  Took me about 25 days to get my taxes and fees refunded 

2 hours ago, spookwife said:

standard business practice is  6-8 weeks for any refunds to be processed.  not until after that time has passed do you have any legitimate  cause to pursue the matter.  

I am also the type of person that thinks if you can afford to spend the money for a vacation, having to wait a little time to get it back should not be an undue financial burden.  once you have paid for it, I consider it gone money.  

I think that is true in normal circumstances. People's needs change during a once in a generation unforeseen pandemic that is causing unemployment to reach Great Depression level.  These are not usual times. I understand people getting cranky for their refunds. 

Edited by cured
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In spite of Royal’s employees all being bombarded with problems, we received our port tax and prepaid gratuitys refund last week. Canceled March 11 for March 29 sailing.
I’m sure they’ve developed a system for refunding possibly by sailing date.
Then it is up to the bank to get its end done and posted to individual accounts.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
  • Thanks 1

Just now, cruisinfanatic said:

Actually, what's your problem?

What other research and/or sources have you reached out to other that CruiseCritic is a reasonable question

You'll get your money.

Royal has had to refund many thousands of bookings in the last few months. Doesn't happen over night

7 minutes ago, cruisinfanatic said:

You'll get your money.

Royal has had to refund many thousands of bookings in the last few months. Doesn't happen over night

Under normal circumstances it usually took a week or two for shore excursions, specialty dinning etc...  It’s no wonder it is taking so long with the added volume. 

On 4/15/2020 at 6:25 AM, cgncruiser said:

Do you understand CC is just a place for people to exchange comments, experiences and opinions?  If you are looking for legal advice, you definitely are looking in the wrong place. 

2 hours ago, time4u2go said:

I'm guessing it's illegal to never give them back, but not sure of a law that says that there's a time limit.

As I said above it would be fraud.  However I am with you about an exact time limit.  Since people are reporting receiving refunds, RCCL can say they are making a good faith effort in issuing refunds.  So it probably would be hard to find a lawyer to take a civil case against RCCL.  Same for a State Attorney to try to press criminal charges.

2 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

Under normal circumstances it usually took a week or two for shore excursions, specialty dinning etc...  It’s no wonder it is taking so long with the added volume. 

Never used to be like that for me in the US...........used to cancel it online on Monday and by Friday would see the credit back on my Credit Card. Very fast !

• Like 1

yesterday, I called RCL for something else, but while I had them on the phone, I asked about the taxes and fees.  The answer was 30 days from cancellation.  My cruises were cancelled on March 13, by the company.  Yes, that's when the notification went out, but as example, my 27 March cruise was actually cancelled on 27 March; so 30 days from that date.

YMMV.