Front Page 25 April Washington Post

FLAHAM

Here's a decent chronology from the Miami Herald:

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/business/tourism-cruises/article241640166.html

And a look at cruise lines' desperate finances from Barron's:

https://www.barrons.com/articles/cruise-lines-are-burning-through-cash-their-survival-depends-on-luring-back-customers-after-coronavirus-51587741331

None of this paints a pretty picture for cruising -- past, present or future.

2 hours ago, spanishguy1970 said:

read it. It puts the cruise world under a microscope.. Not a good article for the cruise lines.

IMO, no different for the predicate return to use of airlines; IMO, no one (most) is (are) even going on air planes to anywhere until resolution of C-19.

Pick an industry, theme parks, conventions, summer attractions and cities/towns, beach resorts.  If you have to fly, the same factors impact those industries and geographies.

And, as an aside, those that prepare these 'financial analyses, are not totally non-conflicted or unquestionably not best interested in such specific "analyses."  

• Like 1

Further, NCL (and other lines) had very good data C-19 summary per Miami Herald 2-days ago and updated yesterday.  With further study, one would find that CCL subsidiary had by far the toughest run (due to their departure and scheduled ports).

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/business/tourism-cruises/article241914096.html

NCL.PNG.2b98f62df9f93456cd3372dddbeb2f51.PNG

• Like 2

3 hours ago, roger001 said:

Hindsight is a wonderful thing.   Too bad the many, many unknowns and variables cannot be seen at the beginning.  As my Dad told my Mom one day..."Nancy, the world isn't perfect."   

I agree with that, but come about mid-March we knew what was up... And many lines continued as per normal a week past that. Several articles outline the events quite well. For Canadians we got the don't sail guidance March 11th. 

• Like 2

Most of the Washington Post's virus coverage is not behind the paywall, but this article may not qualify for that since it is more of a feature.

One thing about this virus is that it is easy to look back and question decisions, but as others have mentioned, by the beginning/mid-March it was becoming obvious that things needed to be shut down. I think all the cruise companies made horrific mistakes throughout this ordeal. Once it became obvious how it was spreading on that first ship, they should have cared enough to shut things down. I know it isn't simple, but these corporations should have done it.

I hope the cruise industry survives this. We love cruising, but even though we have a cruise booked for next year, we will likely cancel. It is not worth the risk for us until there is a vaccine.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, the_thunderbird said:

I agree with that, but come about mid-March we knew what was up... And many lines continued as per normal a week past that. Several articles outline the events quite well. For Canadians we got the don't sail guidance March 11th. 

In BC our Health Minister said he wouldn't cruise on Mar 7 & I think that helped stop our cases from getting out of control, Spring Break was a week later and lots of people didn't travel

1 hour ago, EscapeFromConnecticut said:

In fact, people who paid attention to the mainstream media knew trouble was coming as early as February. It was only the Fox News folks and the "I don't bother with the press" people who were caught unawares.

The cruise lines had firsthand information from the experience with the Golden. They knew better than anyone about the risks they were taking with late February and March cruises. We'll learn more about that in the many, many trials that will be ahead.

My husband had a kidney transplant on January 26. I remember sitting in the hospital while he talked to his uncle who lives in Oakland, CA. His uncle was talking about coming for a visit. After he hung up with his uncle, we talked about the fact that a visit probably wouldn't be smart with the virus and my husband's compromised immune system.

On January 28 I knew that traveling through airports probably wasn't going to be a smart decision. Even though information was still emerging, this was not rocket science.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mantadiver said:

Here is the video that accompanied the article.  It is on YouTube, not behind the paywall:

This is typical of the information out there which is going to make getting cruising started again so difficult.  Costa was already off my list.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, FLAHAM said:

The Post makes money from sensationalizing and bending the news. Hoping people post links like this and get their web hits up.

The cruise lines didn't carry the virus around the world, the airlines did. And they are still doing it. Every day. 

• Like 7

On 4/26/2020 at 11:07 AM, BirdTravels said:

The Post makes money from sensationalizing and bending the news. Hoping people post links like this and get their web hits up.

The cruise lines didn't carry the virus around the world, the airlines did. And they are still doing it. Every day. 

2 hours ago, SouthLyonCruiser said:

While The Post continues to castigate the cruise industry, they are strangely silent about the airline industry that continues to fly with full planes that ignore the social distancing rules. 

Some bias on the part of the Post?

Yeah.

The passenger statistics for March 2020 have not been released, but here is the January to February data for the NY Region International Airports.  Except for brief March shutdown, then the reduction of passengers flying at all, 20+ million passengers coming and going, terminal gates, TSA, luggage lines, subways, transit buses car shares.  It will be interesting to see March and April data; also status of operations at terminal (all phases, boarding, seating, etc.) and public transportation.

1871748633_NYRegionalFebYTD.PNG.d5edf31757244514e7a1216834622197.PNG