Which ships have pickleball?

nandtdestin

1 hour ago, Erica@cruisecritic said:

We wrote an article on this hot new trend! https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=5144

Looks like Coral does not have pickleball yet (or didn't at time of writing).

Three years ago we did a Panama Canal cruise on the Coral and I noticed pickleball was scheduled mid-mornings on sea days.  It was on the sports court at the back of the ship.  The one day we went up to check it out the equipment was there, but, no one was playing.  Of course it was very windy, like 20+ MPH windy.  

I have seen it offered on cruises where they use the sport court up on top deck.  Since it seems to be offered only on sea days there will always be a stiff wind (the ship is most likely moving at 18 or more knots).  That makes it difficult to play I believe. Some day I will have to make the effort to go see who actually shows up.

2 hours ago, AF-1 said:

To have it on a cruise you would need the size of a tennis court.  Or could it be smaller than that?

You can fit four pickleball courts into one tennis court.  Ships usually have one set up on the basketball court on the sports deck.  I played on the Emerald last October.

Played on the Regal and Royal. Was on lower deck than the Caribbean so wasn't as windy. On the Caribbean court was small. About 2 feet space on end lines. If I remember right there was 2 courts. May have. Changed, been awhile.

9 hours ago, BigGuy25 said:

You can fit four pickleball courts into one tennis court.  Ships usually have one set up on the basketball court on the sports deck.  I played on the Emerald last October.

How.  Have only seen one per tennis court. IE one per net set up for a game of tennis.

10 hours ago, Potstech said:

How.  Have only seen one per tennis court. IE one per net set up for a game of tennis.

Because a tennis court is 78 feet by 27 (plus all the room around the edges) and a Pickleball court is only 20 x 44 feet.  So, easy to put one on each side of the tennis court net and, if you let them run a it outside the tennis court lines (you usually have plenty of room) you can get four.  If your referring to the “deck tennis” courts on some ships ... they’re much smaller than regulation tennis court size.

No referring to the many tennis courts in this area converted to pickle ball courts.  One playbill tennis court became one playable pickle ball court.  Upset some tennis players. Pickle ball courts stay way busier than adjoining tennis courts.

On 4/26/2020 at 9:45 AM, skynight said:

Agree, when the ship is at sea it's normally very windy on those very upper decks.

The court on the Emerald, while on the upper sports deck, was mostly shielded from the wind. Even though we were at-sea, wind didn’t cause much on an issue.

• 2 years later...
11 hours ago, SteveK69 said:

Going on the Sapphire Princess for 15 day cruise to Hawaii Oct 4-19 Anyone know if Sapphire Princess has Pickleball??

There's an active "Live From" thread going on right now for the Sapphire Princess. That would be a great place to ask your question.

• 7 months later...
On 4/26/2020 at 10:45 AM, BigGuy25 said:

Good to know. Going on 16 day on Emerald in Aug hope there are players. I was on Sapphire in 2021 had about 15 players was so much fun played every morning 8am to about noon. Some days were better than others with the Wind but was still playable!!