Why do we go to these ports?

Hello my fellow cruisers!

I figured I would ask a non Covid question just because I am thinking about our next cruise as a sort of distraction from reality.  Of course, we are keeping an eye on the situation and I admit I have been lurking the forums when this all hit.  

Depending on how things play out, we would love to take our 4th cruise in 2022.  We took a 5 day cruise out of Galveston the last time and just for the experience went to a much smaller ship, EOS.  It was surprisingly great.  We have a family member that is specifically requesting this size ship so looks like we will be back on EOS again.  

This limits us pretty well as to what ports are availible.  We have been to Costa Maya 3 times already and only once was the water nice.  I am not a fan.  The only other choice is Progresso which looks even worse than Costa Maya!  My question is, why do we even bother with those ports???  Why isn't there a 3rd option for these smaller cruises?  Like why can't EOS just go to Cozumel and Roatan or Belize? 

While the water is not pristine Caribbean blue, I'll go to Costa Maya every time so long as I can go to Maya Chan. Limited number of people, great service, friendly people, good food, affordable. Mark/Jane/David and staff are wonderful.

Anytime I can get a drink delivered by kayak while I am floating around is perfect to me. 

mac_tlc

Edited by mac_tlc
  • Like 5

Hard to believe what we call smaller ships now but we like them too.  Being in AZ, we cruise out of California frequently.  Our choices are limited to mostly Mexican Riviera ports Cabo, Mazatlan and Puerto Vallarta.  Been there many times and we just learn where to find the spots we enjoy and spend our time there.  We get our sea time and enjoy our familiar port time.  Not much different from going to your favorite bar or restaurant at home, just better with sunrises and sunsets at sea!  

1 hour ago, casadetexas said:

Hello my fellow cruisers!

I figured I would ask a non Covid question just because I am thinking about our next cruise as a sort of distraction from reality.  Of course, we are keeping an eye on the situation and I admit I have been lurking the forums when this all hit.  

Depending on how things play out, we would love to take our 4th cruise in 2022.  We took a 5 day cruise out of Galveston the last time and just for the experience went to a much smaller ship, EOS.  It was surprisingly great.  We have a family member that is specifically requesting this size ship so looks like we will be back on EOS again.  

This limits us pretty well as to what ports are availible.  We have been to Costa Maya 3 times already and only once was the water nice.  I am not a fan.  The only other choice is Progresso which looks even worse than Costa Maya!  My question is, why do we even bother with those ports???  Why isn't there a 3rd option for these smaller cruises?  Like why can't EOS just go to Cozumel and Roatan or Belize? 

Do you know how many EOS's there are?

You want different ports, you'll need to switch ships

1 hour ago, casadetexas said:

Like why can't EOS just go to Cozumel and Roatan or Belize? 

Distance.  Roatan is 360 nautical miles from Cozumel and Belize is 315.  So at 20 knots it would take  an additional 30 to 36 hours total to go to those places.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cruisinfanatic said:

Do you know how many EOS's there are?

You want different ports, you'll need to switch ships

Three.

Enchantment and Explorer and Empress.

Only Enchantment has sailed out of Galveston.

2 hours ago, casadetexas said:

The only other choice is Progreso which looks even worse than Costa Maya!  My question is, why do we even bother with those ports??? 

Hi!

What do you like to do ashore? You may be pleasantly surprised with Progreso. I had never sailed there until last year, and after reading so many negative reviews about it being a dump, I was expecting the worse. 

Long story short, we had an absolutely fantastic day in Progreso. It reminded me of what Cozumel was like 20+ years ago before it got overdeveloped, overly commercialized, and overrun with tens of thousands of cruise passengers. Progreso is more authentic, quaint, and relaxing. Granted, it’s NOT for everybody, specially for people who do like the Cozumel vibe. At Progreso you do need to step out of your comfort zone a bit. You will experience  the way that people truly live. 

There’s plenty to do in the area, including the Mayan Ruins of Chichen Itzá (one of the new wonders of the world, and most likely the most impressive displays of Mayan architecture in the world). There’s also the colonial city of Merida.

With all the mixed reviews, we just decided to take the complimentary bus into town (the ship docks at a 5 mile long pier, which is the longest in the world). From the bus stop, we meandered along the streets of Progreso, taking photos of the town as we worked our way to the waterfront.

It’s a sleepy waterfront. NO high rise resorts, crowded bars, chain restaurants, or shopping centers. Just a few local restaurants along the beach and a few small shops. A few palapas lined the beach with masseuses offering very inexpensive massages with a view of the ocean. 

We enjoyed a light lunch and then went across the street for a swim. The beach is wide, with white sand, but the water is not nearly as clear as in the Caribbean side of the peninsula. We still had a very relaxing, uncrowded day. When we were ready to return to the ship, we just walked back to the bus stop that took us back. 

After that experience, I feel like I’d prefer a stop in Progreso over  Cozumel. For my taste, it was perfect. But once again, I wouldn’t recommend it blindly to everyone. 

F41EEAD9-979E-4494-BA4A-F69FACCEE9A8.jpeg

AC581B2E-1E7E-4AF8-9DF7-EB383989488F.jpeg

63F04E18-8718-408E-A6D4-916C2A182D05.jpeg

2AAE8068-039B-4EB0-A0C5-88702D2120F1.jpeg

BEF72596-DD64-485D-B750-205C8976F15C.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Galveston Ports of Call 2020 2021

BEFORE CORONA

For the next couple of years ,

cruisers may visit the following cities and ports,

on one or more ships of Royal Caribbean, Carnival and Disney Cruse Lines  .

Itineraries having these ports available

are on Closed Loop and Transatlantic/Repositioning Pacific cruises

directly into and out of Galveston, Texas .

I am sure I missed a port.

And other ships and lines may come into Galveston .    

Bayonne, New Jersey

GalvestonTexas

Key West, Florida

Nassau, Bahamas

Castaway Cay, Bahamas

Coco Cay, Bahamas

Costa Maya/Majuhaul, Mexico

Cozumel, Mexico

Labadee, Haiti

Belize City, Belize

Progresso, Mexico

Puerto Limon, Costa Rica

Puntarenas, Costa Rica

Cabo San Lucas, Mexico

Seattle, Washington

Cartagena, Columbia

Santa Marta, Columbia

Colon, Panama

Panama Canal (Partial Transit)   

Panama Canal (Full Transit)   

Ocho Rios, Jamaica

Montego Bay, Jamaica

Aruba

Bonaire

Curacao

Roatan, Honduras

Grand Cayman, CaymanIsland

Lisbon, Portugal

Paris (Le Havre), France

Rotterdam, Holland

Copenhagen, Denmark

Rome, Italy

Alicante, Spain

Gibralter, UK Territory

Las Palmas, Grand CanaryIsland, Canary Islands  

Madeira, Portugal 

Barcelona,  Spain

And these do not include wherever  Explorer is going ! 

Choices choices choices

Edited by ssb

3 hours ago, Tapi said:

Hi!

What do you like to do ashore? You may be pleasantly surprised with Progreso. I had never sailed there until last year, and after reading so many negative reviews about it being a dump, I was expecting the worse. 

Long story short, we had an absolutely fantastic day in Progreso. It reminded me of what Cozumel was like 20+ years ago before it got overdeveloped, overly commercialized, and overrun with tens of thousands of cruise passengers. Progreso is more authentic, quaint, and relaxing. Granted, it’s NOT for everybody, specially for people who do like the Cozumel vibe. At Progreso you do need to step out of your comfort zone a bit. You will experience  the way that people truly live. 

There’s plenty to do in the area, including the Mayan Ruins of Chichen Itzá (one of the new wonders of the world, and most likely the most impressive displays of Mayan architecture in the world). There’s also the colonial city of Merida.

With all the mixed reviews, we just decided to take the complimentary bus into town (the ship docks at a 5 mile long pier, which is the longest in the world). From the bus stop, we meandered along the streets of Progreso, taking photos of the town as we worked our way to the waterfront.

It’s a sleepy waterfront. NO high rise resorts, crowded bars, chain restaurants, or shopping centers. Just a few local restaurants along the beach and a few small shops. A few palapas lined the beach with masseuses offering very inexpensive massages with a view of the ocean. 

We enjoyed a light lunch and then went across the street for a swim. The beach is wide, with white sand, but the water is not nearly as clear as in the Caribbean side of the peninsula. We still had a very relaxing, uncrowded day. When we were ready to return to the ship, we just walked back to the bus stop that took us back. 

After that experience, I feel like I’d prefer a stop in Progreso over  Cozumel. For my taste, it was perfect. But once again, I wouldn’t recommend it blindly to everyone. 

@Tapi you always give such good, fact-filled advice!

• Thanks 1

Me and hubby have been on smaller, rhapsody and grandeur. And on big harmony and anthem. We too like the smaller ships a little bit better. I have been on voyager. I really like that class of ship. And if you like the smaller ships this would be a good option. I know adventure is going to galveston. They have a royal promenade. But you don't have to make show reservations. I fell voyager class is a good compromise between big and little. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Bottom line is Galveston, on a short cruise, has limited available ports due to distance.

I do understand.  However this is what we are choosing since other family members can go who are on more of a budget than my family is.  It is what it is.  Just trying to make the best of it.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Tapi said:

Hi!

F41EEAD9-979E-4494-BA4A-F69FACCEE9A8.jpeg

AC581B2E-1E7E-4AF8-9DF7-EB383989488F.jpeg

63F04E18-8718-408E-A6D4-916C2A182D05.jpeg

2AAE8068-039B-4EB0-A0C5-88702D2120F1.jpeg

BEF72596-DD64-485D-B750-205C8976F15C.jpeg

THANK YOU for your review!!!!  I really do appreaciate and will consider it in our options.  ❤️

3 hours ago, suesnake2002 said:

Me and hubby have been on smaller, rhapsody and grandeur. And on big harmony and anthem. We too like the smaller ships a little bit better. I have been on voyager. I really like that class of ship. And if you like the smaller ships this would be a good option. I know adventure is going to galveston. They have a royal promenade. But you don't have to make show reservations. I fell voyager class is a good compromise between big and little. 

Thanks for the advice!  We are kinda stuck with Galveston as the main port although I might see what NO has to offer just 4 hours away.  Will look into these ships as well.  Appreciate it!

1 hour ago, kruzinkel said:

Isn't Enchantment moving to Baltimore when Grandeur is sold?  That means Enchantment would now have Bermuda- which is a great port

It is possible.  I know that Enchantment goes to many different places as a home port.  I did read up that Royal will be phasing out the Enchantment soon.  So the question will be if it is still availible by the time the 2022 summer dates come out.