Do you Clean or wipe down things in your cabin upon arrival

Do you Clean/ wipe down things in your cabin upon arrival  

262 members have voted

1. 1. Do you Clean/Wipe down things in your cabin upon arrival

• Yea always
    • Sometimes
    • Never

3 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Actually, I used to roll my eyes at that little jingle.  If nothing else, this pandemic has raised awareness about the importance of hand washing and also keeping hands free from the face.  Seems too simple to be effective but eye-rolling no more!  Bring on the cute jingles!

My kid used to get "the runs" quite regularly in his teens.  I finally sat him down and explained in great detail precisely how the "fecal-oral route" of transmission worked.  (Long story short, you got sick because you ate someone else's poop!)

Half a dozen years later, he still washes his hands diligently after using the toilet and before eating.... and guess who stopped getting the Hershey squirts?

• Haha 1

Well, its not like Iam really "cleaning" stuff in my cabin/romm but I always make sure that things inside are clean. The bed is not covered in dust, there are no garbage lying around and stuff like that. But I can understand other people who clean things up by themselves when getting into a new room or cabin 

To me the cabin stewards have always seemed to do a sterling job, so I don't really concern myself too much in there. 

Elsewhere, it's rather more worrying, such as the staggering amount of people who pee or poo and walk straight out without washing their hands. So I definitely try to avoid touching the door handles on the way in or out in there, and in general. 

1 hour ago, brillohead said:

Even if the person on the cruise before you was sick, unless the pillow is literally dripping with some form of infectious bodily fluid, you're not going to catch a disease from them through the pillowcase.  Of all the possible fomites in the room, a pillowcase-covered pillow is pretty low on my list.

Do you know this for a fact, or is it just your opinion?

3 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

All bedding is sanitized before it is put on your bed.....way before Covid 19 was a black spec in the eye of some bat.......other surfaces in the room, not so much.  I wipe down occasionally....the doors and knobs, phone and TV control.  But the pesky glass on balcony, I have actually brought a single edge with me to scrape paint etc.  Then I've requested a windex from my steward.  Sometimes things get overlooked but the bedding, not worried about that.  Those laundry machines are frikn bad a$$.

3 minutes ago, BecciBoo said:

All bedding is sanitized before it is put on your bed.....way before Covid 19 was a black spec in the eye of some bat.......other surfaces in the room, not so much.  I wipe down occasionally....the doors and knobs, phone and TV control.  But the pesky glass on balcony, I have actually brought a single edge with me to scrape paint etc.  Then I've requested a windex from my steward.  Sometimes things get overlooked but the bedding, not worried about that.  Those laundry machines are frikn bad a$$.

Are the pillows themselves sanitized, or just the pillow cases?  Obviously things can pass through a cloth pillow case, even if it has been sanitized.

Edited by time4u2go

18 hours ago, DiamondSuiteCruiser said:

LOL, that is why I always bring pillows from home in a vacuum bag, and leave them behind after the cruise, they can toss them out with the trash.

Ain't leavin my Mike's travel pillow there!  Your steward will suck your bag.....heehee for you with Henry if you request it.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

Are the pillows themselves sanitized, or just the pillow cases?  Obviously things can pass through a cloth pillow case, even if it has been sanitized.

Just the case, but if there was a concern about things passing through the pillow case, there would also be a problem with all these self made fabric masks too....make sense.  Not worried about the pillows although I bring my Mike's travel pillow on all our Galveston cruises.

19 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Just think of the pillow case as your pillow wearing a mask.😉😊

And I'm sure it is just as effective as wearing a mask is. 😉

Maybe they'll offer M-95 pillow cases as an upgrade!

Edited by time4u2go
  • Haha 1

On airplanes yes we wipe down armrests tray tables etc. I'm not sure if my wife wiped anything down when we got into our cabin on our last cruise in December. It sounds like something she would do but I'm not sure. So put me down as a maybe.

1 hour ago, time4u2go said:

There are very few airborne illnesses and they're rarely seen in the cruising population.  And it would have to be an airborne illness to move through the pillowcase (again, in the absence of obvious bodily fluids still in liquid form seeping through the pillowcase).  And if it's airborne, then the pillow isn't your only source of contamination -- the air in the room and around the ship would also be likely to be contaminated with the same pathogen.  

Since you can't really prove a negative, how about we turn the tables here and you tell us exactly which pathogens you think you're going to become infected with through a pillowcase? 

And why are you only in danger from these super-scary germs on pillows, and not also on mattresses, chairs, couches, pool loungers, carpets, etc.?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, brillohead said:

There are very few airborne illnesses and they're rarely seen in the cruising population.  And it would have to be an airborne illness to move through the pillowcase (again, in the absence of obvious bodily fluids still in liquid form seeping through the pillowcase).  And if it's airborne, then the pillow isn't your only source of contamination -- the air in the room and around the ship would also be likely to be contaminated with the same pathogen.  

Since you can't really prove a negative, how about we turn the tables here and you tell us exactly which pathogens you think you're going to become infected with through a pillowcase? 

And why are you only in danger from these super-scary germs on pillows, and not also on mattresses, chairs, couches, pool loungers, carpets, etc.?

Oh I agree, the things you mentioned (chairs, etc.) could also be a source.  But I feel that a pillow, where someone puts their head and breathes all night, and possibly drools, would be more likely a source.

No.  I don't wipe down anything.  I do wash my hands frequently especially when traveling and try not to touch my eyes and mouth.  I also try to boost my immune system by drinking lots of water and getting a lot of sleep.  It is what works for me and for my husband.  He quit getting sick once he stopped working with a guy whose kids were always sick.  

4 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

After reading some of these replies, I don't know how some leave their house let alone jump on the first cruise going out during a pandemic.  It's just mind boggling. 

It is beyond mind boggling to me.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, time4u2go said:

Oh I agree, the things you mentioned (chairs, etc.) could also be a source.  But I feel that a pillow, where someone puts their head and breathes all night, and possibly drools, would be more likely a source.

More likely a source OF WHAT???

What exactly do you think you can catch off a pillow that you can't also catch from just walking around?

8 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

After reading some of these replies, I don't know how some leave their house let alone jump on the first cruise going out during a pandemic.  It's just mind boggling. 

Exactly... not allowing the room attendant into the room all week???? 

Is the passenger going to stay inside the room the entire week and just sit on the balcony and order room service for every meal?  

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, brillohead said:

More likely a source OF WHAT???

What exactly do you think you can catch off a pillow that you can't also catch from just walking around?

A source of Covid-19.  I thought you knew what we were talking about.

And I never said you couldn't catch it from just walking around.

Edited by time4u2go

4 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

A source of Covid-19.  I thought you knew what we were talking about.

And I never said you couldn't catch it from just walking around.

There isn't any confirmation that COVID-19 is an airborne pathogen.  All the other coronaviruses are droplet, not airborne.  

Using my hospital-grade Cholox Noro wipes, I always wipe down:

- Everything on my flights (including the seat belt latch that no one ever cleans)
- All the usual stuff in the hotel room including the toilet, toilet handle, sink handle, shower door and knobs 
- The cabin - starting with the door handle before we touch it!  I also wipe down the toilet, the shower handles, the shower pump handles, all throughout the cabin and through to the balcony railing. 
- Then midweek on the cruise, I do it again since cabin stewards are notorious for spreading germs from one cabin to the next.  

In 50 cruises so far, it hasn't failed me yet and takes no time at all if you just get down to business and do it.  Call me a germaphobe.  I'd rather be called that any day than be sick with something I could've easily prevented. 😄

23 minutes ago, DrivesLikeMario said:

Using my hospital-grade Cholox Noro wipes, I always wipe down:

- Everything on my flights (including the seat belt latch that no one ever cleans)
- All the usual stuff in the hotel room including the toilet, toilet handle, sink handle, shower door and knobs 
- The cabin - starting with the door handle before we touch it!  I also wipe down the toilet, the shower handles, the shower pump handles, all throughout the cabin and through to the balcony railing. 
- Then midweek on the cruise, I do it again since cabin stewards are notorious for spreading germs from one cabin to the next.  

In 50 cruises so far, it hasn't failed me yet and takes no time at all if you just get down to business and do it.  Call me a germaphobe.  I'd rather be called that any day than be sick with something I could've easily prevented. 😄

And yet there are those like me who after 60+ cruises who have never wiped anything down in a cabin and have never been sick on a cruise.  Guess I would rather risk occasionally catching something than worrying about it.  And overall, I still believe I'm healthier because I allow some germs into my life.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1