Do you Clean or wipe down things in your cabin upon arrival

Do you Clean/ wipe down things in your cabin upon arrival  

262 members have voted

1. 1. Do you Clean/Wipe down things in your cabin upon arrival

• Yea always
    • Sometimes
    • Never

1 hour ago, molly361 said:

Okay time fess up even more  Don't have and never have had any hand sanitizer in my house EVER

I have a container because someone gave it to me.  Still unopened. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, cruisegirl1 said:

Yes I have, and have been for about the last two years. 

I started an after one of the big Noro  outbreaks. 

And, even prior to Covid   I used a sanitizing wipe  after I gave my menu back to a server.  On the rare occasion I used the buffet, i used a hand wipe once again after I had handled all the serving tongs and before I started eating  Touch elevator buttons with knuckles.  This is my MO regardless if I am on land or at sea, and has been for the last few years. 

m

totally agree....we travel a lot, & always bring Lysol & Clorox wipes to do.....all pulls, drawer handles, TV changer, Phone, all handles in the bathroom etc.  always have....always will

Yes, we've been cleaning our cabins for years. Our cabin steward will smile when he sees us wiping down our cabin. We also keep it relatively clean and organized. 

I have 2 little bottles of hand sanitizer attached to my purse. I mainly use it when I run a weekly bowling tournament. I am always counting money or handed stuff for lost & found and I can't always get to the restroom to wash my hands. 

As for cruising, I use the sanitizer on my way in and out of the restaurants, I wash my hands regularly, and I occasionally wipe down the remote and the phone 

4 hours ago, rtazz17 said:

Never... I have a great immune system because of not worrying about everything I touch.

That sounds just like my friend who died April 4 from Covid-19.He always said he had a great immune system and never sanitized anything,He never took vitamins Hs.thought he could never be harmed.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

That sounds just like my friend who died April 4 from Covid-19.He always said he had a great immune system and never sanitized anything,He never took vitamins Hs.thought he could never be harmed.

Infectious disease typically takes the very young, old and those with chronic diseases. However, there will always be instances of people who don't fall into the "typical" category. Sometimes the unexpected happens. When it comes to medicine people will always be able to find examples, even if outliers, to try to prove their point of view.

• Like 1

My wife always brings packs of sanitizing wipes, not so much to clean the cabin but just to have handy if we are going to eat (specially ashore) and can’t wash our hands. 

About cleaning the cabin, I’ve never had, but during the last few weeks I’ve been staying at various hotels (for work). So I’ve been carrying sanitizing wipes and cleaning surfaces which I normally touch (end tables, remote,  bathroom counter etc). It’s been eye-opening to see how nasty the wipes are when I’m done cleaning. Black and grimy. It’s gross.

Even though several hotels have placed cards indicating “the extra steps they are taking” to clean rooms, it’s obvious that they are not. 

• Like 2

Just bring one of those blue lights which when the lights are off and it’s dark what you see lit up in green are things you know what they are which will gross you out.  That’s why I don’t mind a little extra cleaning here and there.  Oh the walls around the bed, don’t look, you’ll want a hammock 😵

I always carry hospital strength hydrogen peroxide disinfecting wipes. Most readily available bleach wipes don't have sufficient percentage of bleach to kill Noro which I was told was the main concern prior to my first cruise hence why I specially ordered the wipes I have.

I am not worried about the room steward doing the things he must like scrubbing the shower and toilet or changing the sheets. I just expect they probably don't do more than they have to any more than anyone else does. 

On flights I wipe my tray table down with a disinfecting wipe. At the hotel the night prior to the cruise I wipe the light switches, phone, tables, door knobs, and taps, and put the remote in a zip bag. We don't use any drawers or closets so I never worry about that. Once we are allowed into the cabins on board ship I wipe light switches, phone, tables, door knobs, taps, hangers, and drawers down. All I can say is we've never had noro or been sick on a cruise. I've never found significant dirt or dust doing any of this so someone is doing all of that pretty regularly on all the ships we've been on.

1 hour ago, time4u2go said:

Exactly!  And let's face it, you put your face on it.  For several hours every day.

I always travel with my own pillow so that's not an issue, but that only has to do with comfort. I have never wiped down a cabin or a hotel room and I don't plan on doing it in the future.

Edited by mek

24 minutes ago, James4me said:

Just bring one of those blue lights which when the lights are off

No, no, no, no no. There are things in life you just don't want to know about. For instance, do not look up Demodex folliculorum

For a long time now we always do bring lysol spray/clorox wipes. I am the designated person to bring it onboard then pass it along to the friends cruising with us so they can do their rooms. I was "chosen" because everyone else flies in and we drive to the port so it's easier for me to just throw it in my carry on instead of them packing it in checked luggage 😁

Way back, NO, never did. Then one time we opened our door upon boarding and ran right into a crewmember in a hazmat outfit and it kind of opened our eyes and we thought that doing it might make us feel a little less concerned lol.

• Like 1

Unless you intend on wiping every surface in the public areas down with wipes, you are wasting your time cleaning the room where you most likely spend the least amount of time.  I'm more concerned with the flies landing on the food at those island buffets, and the sketchy cabs and bus tours than I am about touching an elevator button or handrail  that I see being cleaned regularly by the crew.  

• Like 4

Like others have stated, we started doing this a few years ago when there was a particularly bad flu season.

We Always wipe down the tray table, arm rests, and overhead seat controls on the plane as well. We avoid any reading materials in the seat pocket. 

On our cruise the first week of March, we used our hand sanitizer after adjusting our chair and using the menu in the MDR.  Our sister-in-law is an RN and she is meticulous about this in restaurants.