Terrace Cafe

Classiccruiser777

18 minutes ago, KS&JW said:

I assume they put down a clean/sanitized set of shakers when you sit down then they are picked up when you leave to be cleaned.    I have never been on a cruise with Noro,  but isn't that what they do then? 

I was on Sirena in January and there had been a noro case onboard the prior cruise. I don't recall what the condiment situation was with salt & pepper shakers. I do remember that the condiments, lettuce, tomato, onions next to Waves grill was self serve. The paper menus were being used.

45 minutes ago, KS&JW said:

I assume they put down a clean/sanitized set of shakers when you sit down then they are picked up when you leave to be cleaned.    I have never been on a cruise with Noro,  but isn't that what they do then? 

maybe paper packets  that can be thrown out after use

They can ask how many you want  so they do not have to toss a whole container of packets that is left on the table

Remember the old days  when they served sugar cubes  in a nice dish  now it  is  paper packets with the other sweeteners in a nondescript  holder

Things  change

On 5/13/2020 at 11:54 AM, clo said:

Or keep people reaching under the glass to point. I think some of it was unintentional. And hopefully consciousness-es have been mightily raised these last few months.

I think you're giving people too much credit. 

2 hours ago, susiesan said:

I was on Sirena in January and there had been a noro case onboard the prior cruise. I don't recall what the condiment situation was with salt & pepper shakers. I do remember that the condiments, lettuce, tomato, onions next to Waves grill was self serve. The paper menus were being used.

There is a salad bar usually there that is self serve, but the condiments(not sauces) have always been taken care of by the cooks. I've never been on Sirena though, it's the one Oceania ship I haven't cruised on, perhaps they do it differently. 

On Marina when there was a Noro outbreak, they used the paper packets.  Hate those things!  The papers always blow off the table if someone passes too closely.  Maybe I'll bring my own s & p in December.

2 minutes ago, GeorgesGal said:

On Marina when there was a Noro outbreak, they used the paper packets.  Hate those things!  The papers always blow off the table if someone passes too closely.  Maybe I'll bring my own s & p in December.

I wonder if they'd let you. We haven't been able to carry our own grocery bags into stores in at least a month.

22 minutes ago, clo said:

On Marina in December the salad bar wasn't self serve.

Just asked the wife as she's the one that eats from Waves salad bar. She said it used to be self serve but the last couple of times we've been on board they served it to you. I guess I haven't paid attention lately. Just goes to show what used to be isn't always that way anymore. 

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, ORV said:

I think you're giving people too much credit. 

There is a salad bar usually there that is self serve, but the condiments(not sauces) have always been taken care of by the cooks. I've never been on Sirena though, it's the one Oceania ship I haven't cruised on, perhaps they do it differently. 

I agree ORV

Waves   had some self serve   options  on the smaller ships  for Breakfast/lunch  items  but never noticed  on the O class ships  but  that was 2018  since our last  trip with O

The Waves salad bar has never been self-serve on the “O” ships.  Perhaps I should qualify that statement to say in the past five years because my memory may not be reliable further back!  

One of the things I most appreciate on Oceania is how little self-serve normally is available, something I appreciate even more since our cut-short norovirus cruise in 2016.  

Edited by CintiPam
  • Like 2

The Waves salad bar was definitely self serve on the Jan. 24 Sirena sailing. I recall taking my plate with a sandwich up to it to add some lettuce and tomato for my burger. The condiments like ketchup and mustard were in containers on the tables along with salt and pepper shakers, these were plastic.

18 hours ago, LHT28 said:

At Waves?

We were on Marina just before Clo. Nope.  Waves was not self serve. I asked for the things I wanted on my salad

We ate at Waves frequently because my DH loved the lobster sandwich.  I just remember ordering my lunch and drink and a server would bring it.  Given the amount of cleaning and sanitizing they will need to do when the ships can cruise again, there is no reason why they can't leave the s and p and other condiments on the table, and just wipe them down between users.  That way they don't need to change the containers they use, but they stay clean.  That is, if sanitizing is done religiously by the crew responsible for this activities because they are going to have to sanitize and table and chairs anyway.

13 hours ago, CintiPam said:

The Waves salad bar has never been self-serve on the “O” ships.  Perhaps I should qualify that statement to say in the past five years because my memory may not be reliable further back!  

One of the things I most appreciate on Oceania is how little self-serve normally is available, something I appreciate even more since our cut-short norovirus cruise in 2016.  

Plus 1,000.  Our only experience with a G-I problem in 30 cruises on various cruise lines was the direct result of Azmara's insistence in having their version of Terrace be totally self-service in January 2019.  So many cases resulted that they imposed what sort of resembled "Code Red."  Azmara's persistent use of self-service meant they had insufficient crew members to serve people at the buffet and resorted to using members of the entertainment staff for several days.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, susiesan said:

The Waves salad bar was definitely self serve on the Jan. 24 Sirena sailing. I recall taking my plate with a sandwich up to it to add some lettuce and tomato for my burger. The condiments like ketchup and mustard were in containers on the tables along with salt and pepper shakers, these were plastic.

YES  on the R ships  they were still doing self serve at Waves side bar

that is one thing I did not like  about that area

Lets  be clear

On the O ships Marina & Riviera  WAVES salad part  is  NOT self serve

On the R ships  it  still was self serve

Things  will change now  so a moot point

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

Nearly all past experiences aboard ship will probably become moot points as to how they will be when sailing resumes.

I agree. I'd guess that whatever happens on land in the coming year will be more strenuous on a ship.

1 hour ago, pinotlover said:

Nearly all past experiences aboard ship will probably become moot points as to how they will be when sailing resumes.

Question is will they be at least as good?  Need to figure it out or there will be a problem getting their guests back  in the numbers they need to make a profit. 

34 minutes ago, RJB said:

Question is will they be at least as good?

"As good" and "very different" don't have to be mutually exclusive terms. And "as good" is certainly more subjective.  The last two weekends we've gone to our favorite Mexican/Margarita place. They haven't started inside dining yet but we've had a blast getting our food and Margaritas passed out the window to us. We've snagged the parking space right in front so we chat up people while we eat and drink. Couldn't be more different but "as good" and loads of fun.

2 hours ago, clo said:

"As good" and "very different" don't have to be mutually exclusive terms. And "as good" is certainly more subjective.  The last two weekends we've gone to our favorite Mexican/Margarita place. They haven't started inside dining yet but we've had a blast getting our food and Margaritas passed out the window to us. We've snagged the parking space right in front so we chat up people while we eat and drink. Couldn't be more different but "as good" and loads of fun.

A lot different eating out the window for an hour or two that spending  a few weeks on a cruise ship.  You can go home but we will be stuck on the ship if it has changed from what we are used to.  You try it and let us know.  Those of us that have been on O many times know what we should expect for what we are paying for.  We know what as good should be. 

2 minutes ago, RJB said:

"As good" and "very different" don't have to be mutually exclusive terms.

Okay, it's going to be very different and you probably won't like it. That is if you cruise before there's a proven vaccine and worldwide vaccination. I figure what's been required on land is not nearly as restrictive as what's going to be required on a ship. That's just logical IMO.

if the condiments are an issue, just do not touch them.  Adding salt and or pepper would be less important to me than touching dispensers... The last cruise I went on (not Oceania) the tomato sauce (ketchup I suppose for the new worlders), was in a large vat with a pump dispenser which was easy to push with one's elbow - perfect

Edited by drkitkat123
correction
  • Like 1