Terrace Cafe

Classiccruiser777

23 hours ago, RJB said:

Question is will they be at least as good?  Need to figure it out or there will be a problem getting their guests back  in the numbers they need to make a profit. 

People on CC do not realize what a pent up demand there is for cruising its amazing..especially seniors..

Jan

• Like 4

19 hours ago, drkitkat123 said:

The last cruise I went on (not Oceania) the tomato sauce (ketchup I suppose for the new worlders), was in a large vat with a pump dispenser which was easy to push with one's elbow - perfect

And "Ya'll" can keep your Salad Cream - Personally, I prefer Mayonnaise, myself!  😜

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jancruz said:

People on CC do not realize what a pent up demand there is for cruising its amazing..especially seniors..

Jan

Until they realize how sick they can get and also see pictures of packed planes with a lot of people not wearing face masks.  We just canceled 2 cruises and it makes us very sad, but need to protect ourselves.  A cruise ship is the worst place that seniors should be. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, RJB said:

Until they realize how sick they can get and also see pictures of packed planes with a lot of people not wearing face masks.  We just canceled 2 cruises and it makes us very sad, but need to protect ourselves.  A cruise ship is the worst place that seniors should be. 

Speak for yourself RJB. I am a senior and I currently have 2 cruises booked for 2021. I am also not too concerned about being on the plane. I don't need anyone telling me what is or isn't good for me, I can analyze the risks/benefits of an activity as it pertains to my health and make the choice that is right for me. Just because someone has reached some magical age number doesn't mean they can't think for themselves anymore. This is one active healthy senior who can't wait to get on a cruise ship again, next one will be Wind Spirit I hope, in January. And then Marina in August 2021.

Edited by susiesan
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Jancruz said:

Jan

+1

I don’t believe this small forum represents a wide swath of cruisers in general and probably Oceania in particular.

I’m filling up shore tours, on an early 2021 cruise, quickly as I can get them organized and posted. 

Like all flues, few believe there will ever be a single silver bullet vaccine . There will be mutations and hope the new annual vaccine gets the one you might catch. Those waiting for the silver bullet, and not venturing out until it’s developed, may as well find a new pass time in Hunkerville. It most likely will never be on a cruise ship. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Jancruz said:

Jan

Huh? Is that a joke? It seems to me that it's people on CC are the ones with this demand. Everyone we know, especially seniors, are like 'are you nuts? I wouldn't get on a cruise ship again if you paid me."

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, susiesan said:

Speak for yourself RJB. I am a senior and I currently have 2 cruises booked for 2021. I am also not too concerned about being on the plane. I don't need anyone telling me what is or isn't good for me, I can analyze the risks/benefits of an activity as it pertains to my health and make the choice that is right for me. Just because someone has reached some magical age number doesn't mean they can't think for themselves anymore. This is one active healthy senior who can't wait to get on a cruise ship again, next one will be Wind Spirit I hope, in January. And then Marina in August 2021.

Trying to remember what rules MO has had for COVID mitigation.

5 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

not venturing out until it’s developed, may as well find a new pass time in Hunkerville.

I really find it so silly that some people think there's no middle ground between hunkering down and get on a cruise ship. There are tons of things to do travel-wise.

43 minutes ago, clo said:

I really find it so silly that some people think there's no middle ground between hunkering down and get on a cruise ship. There are tons of things to do travel-wise.

Hope your as active on a rv-ing forum as you are here, because it doesn’t sound like cruising will be in your future. Hope gas, or diesel,  stays cheap for you . 🍷

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

it doesn’t sound like cruising will be in your future.

Near term no. That's why I think it's really emotionally healthy to look at the scads of other options. 

We are going on a road trip this summer thru Northern California family near San Francisco then continue down the coast. If California has moved into phase 3. In September 3 weeks in Hawaii! If the quarantine for arrivals is lifted!

5 minutes ago, jeanine said:

If California has moved into phase 3.

That's something we're talking about also. Going where it's safeR.  Wisconsin isn't on our short list!.

Ashland is lovely. We used to live in Grants Pass.

Been to 49 States, but not N. Dakota. Planning an Amtrak trip in 2021 from Chicago to Seattle right through the heart and breath of ND to Seattle. Will have to deboard somewhere just to put my feet on the ground there. Think we’ll do a sleeper car and a bunch of wine!

I have zero desire to drive to get there! 😂

5 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

Think we’ll do a sleeper car and a bunch of wine!

Always wanted to do that. We did a Canadian Rockies train trip, Vancouver to Jasper, coach to Banff and train back. Stayed in hotels at night so didn't miss any scenery.

One of the best road trips we ever took (showing our Danish friend the western parks) was from the Badlands down to Grand Canyon.  I'd been in these parks before as a child, and Howard and I had seen many of them on a road trip when we drove my Dad's car (that I had inherited) back to NYC in 1990.

In South Dakota we did Crazy Horse, Mt. Rushmore, the Needles Drive.

Next day we visited to the Wild Horse Sanctuary which we enjoyed muchly.  Here is a quote from my diary:

Barbara told us a wonderful story – she called it a miracle, and we were all in tears at hearing it.  A woman was killed while reading a book on her porch by random shots.  She left a 16 year old daughter and an 8 year old son.  The boy took it very hard, never cried at all, and started acting out.  His grandmother requested permission to bring the children to the Sanctuary.  The girl loves horses and they love her; the boy was sure they would come to her but not to him.  But four of the horses surrounded him and nudged him with their heads.  He started crying and the horses moved in closer.  This was a turn around point for the boy who is doing well now.  When Barbara mentioned the occurrence to an Indian friend (Barbara herself is half Nakota Sioux), she smiled and said, “He had a healing.”

From there we went on to Cody (and the wonderful museums), and then to Yellowstone.  Several days there, then 2-3 days in the Grand Tetons.  On to Bryce, Zion and the Grand Canyon.   This was a 3 week trip and fabulous. I'd love to do Yellowstone in winter but I no longer think I am up to it.

I love cruising, you all know that, but there are plenty of other wonderful things to do ... even in this country!  I once advised a fellow poster who said her husband wanted to see all of the rest of the world before traveling through the U.S. that to really see the national parks you need to be able to hike the trails ... if you are just driving along the roads you miss a lot.  I doubt they followed my advice, however!

Mura

Oh dear, it looks like I hijacked a thread!  Sorry about that.  Terrace certainly had nothing nothing to do with my post, mea culpa.

Edited by Mura
  • Like 1

Mura - What a good read!  Thanks for sharing.  We now live about 4 hours drive south of the Grand Canyon.  We love living in the American west after having spent a lot of our life on the east coast.  Best Regards.

15 hours ago, pinotlover said:

Been to 49 States, but not N. Dakota. Planning an Amtrak trip in 2021 from Chicago to Seattle right through the heart and breath of ND to Seattle. Will have to deboard somewhere just to put my feet on the ground there. Think we’ll do a sleeper car and a bunch of wine!

I have zero desire to drive to get there! 😂

We did that with a group of 6 of us, 3 couples. Unfortunately Amtrak has gone way down hill since the trip I took on The City of New Orleans about 20 years ago. Very average food, unhappy attendants(not all but some).  You also go through most of the best mountains at night. We stopped at Glacier Park in Montana, that was a highlight of the trip. The reality was no where as good as the anticipation. This was a trip we had talked about doing for years. 

As an adult a road trip to Mt Rushmore was one of my first big planned vacations. This was pre internet so planning was a bit different than today. I loved that area. 

I understand the downfalls. We will likewise stop at Glacier for a couple of days. Love that area. 

Just haven’t been to ND. Have no desire to drive to get there. Don’t want to drive across the State either. I can take a short cheap hop to St. Louis or Chicago to catch the train and just sightsee through ND! I’ll bring along some good wine to help the mediocre food taste better, and be OK for the three days on the train. 😁

Edited by pinotlover

6 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

AAA TripTik?😀 I remember those.

I don't know that one. I had a Rand McNally computer program that I put in my old 3.1 operating system, it had maps as well as points of interest. I also requested info from the local tourism and Chambers. I still do that occasionally.

7 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

I’ll bring along some good wine to help the mediocre food taste better, and be OK for the three days on the train.

A very small cooler is super. And I have on hand Ortiz tuna, line caught Spanish tuna in Spanish oil. It's so good. With a cooler I can have charcuterie, you name it.

17 hours ago, clo said:

That's something we're talking about also. Going where it's safeR.  Wisconsin isn't on our short list!.

Ashland is lovely. We used to live in Grants Pass.

Okay, I'll take the bait.  WI not on your short list because the Safer at Home order was lifted?  It's determined by the counties now and some are still on lockdown, including the county where I live.  I feel very safe here and it's a shame we are getting a bad rap in the national news.

As long as we're talking about where we've been and lived, I've been to all 50 states and every continent except Antarctica. We are originally from Wisconsin and we moved back home to retire after 35 years of living in various places for our career. We've done it backwards but we are here to stay.  Madison is ethnically diverse and has some great restaurants and attractions and is home to a great university. We lived in Northern California (East Bay) for a number of years. Our kids spent most of their growing-up years in the East Bay. We still go to California 3-4 times a year to visit but we have no desire to live there again. Lived in Texas for 10 years and don't want to live there again either. Had enough of hot weather to last a lifetime and now we enjoy the 4 seasons. We love to travel in our retirement and we enjoy road trips but would love to get back to cruising some day. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, sunlover12 said:

Okay, I'll take the bait.  WI not on your short list because the Safer at Home order was lifted?  It's determined by the counties now and some are still on lockdown, including the county where I live.  I feel very safe here and it's a shame we are getting a bad rap in the national news.

As long as we're talking about where we've been and lived, I've been to all 50 states and every continent except Antarctica. We are originally from Wisconsin and we moved back home to retire after 35 years of living in various places for our career. We've done it backwards but we are here to stay.  Madison is ethnically diverse and has some great restaurants and attractions and is home to a great university. We lived in Northern California (East Bay) for a number of years. Our kids spent most of their growing-up years in the East Bay. We still go to California 3-4 times a year to visit but we have no desire to live there again. Lived in Texas for 10 years and don't want to live there again either. Had enough of hot weather to last a lifetime and now we enjoy the 4 seasons. We love to travel in our retirement and we enjoy road trips but would love to get back to cruising some day. 

We have been to every State except for ND and every continent including Antarctica. Also, have lived many places but CO has been our main residence for over 20 years. We sold out Summer lake house last year and love only having one place now. Having 4 seasons is important to us, as well. No hot places ever again. I do not like snakes or sharks. Bear, deer, fox, are just fine. 

Also, love road trips and am happy we did all of this prior to normal retirement age. You sound quite similar to us. :)) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sunlover12 said:

WI not on your short list because the Safer at Home order was lifted?

No. It's the people showing up armed to terrorize not protest.