Would you cruise if Wearing a mask is mandatory?

Would you cruise if wearing a mask is Mandatory?  

711 members have voted

1. 1. Will you cruise if wearing a mask is mandatory?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure

It is simply that people here will just not all wear masks.   At work we are all supposed to wear masks if  we are around people not everyone does, same goes for the supermarket.

If everyone work a basic mask we are all fine, if you don't then I have to wear a N95 mask which makes it more difficult for me, since that is the only way I can protect me from you.

3 minutes ago, fredflint said:

It is simply that people here will just not all wear masks.   At work we are all supposed to wear masks if  we are around people not everyone does, same goes for the supermarket.

If everyone work a basic mask we are all fine, if you don't then I have to wear a N95 mask which makes it more difficult for me, since that is the only way I can protect me from you.

I’m seeing less and less masks out and about. I think people have watched the masses of people in the big cities and said screw it. We will soon find out the truth about CV19. 

NY and NYC were supposed to be on lockdown. People could have gone to jail but then they allowed them to group in masses and protest. Don’t understand their reasoning. 

Edited by Milwaukee Eight
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, d9704011 said:

Well, I read the rest of your post and have no idea of what the problem is; I sort of thought you’d identify it but I was disappointed.

Completely underwhelmed here.  Still on masks are for decency or something, when the WHO says we don’t need them for 99% of the time.  That they are dangerous according to the WHO.  Watching TV on any news channel it is apparent the only purpose of masks is to reduce the chance of being identified for committing a crime.

Yeah... um... OK... whatever.

jc

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

They said that WHO was concerned in poor countries people with no masks would  rob use the pool of masks needed for medical staff.

Trying to find the story, from what I have heard if we stay apart and wear masks then people who have the virus but no symptoms will not spread it to other people.

2 minutes ago, fredflint said:

They said that WHO was concerned in poor countries people with no masks would  rob use the pool of masks needed for medical staff.

Trying to find the story, from what I have heard if we stay apart and wear masks then people who have the virus but no symptoms will not spread it to other people.

So, you are saying the WHO is lying to us again.... I am completely shocked.  We should listen to those smarter than us tell us what to do!  

Ever heard the story of the boy who cried wolf?  We are cursed to live Hans Christian fairy tales, and people think they are real.

jc

• Like 2

I voted earlier in the week, just want to add my two cents.  Though I voted no to cruising with a mask, I will at least wait until the new "rules" are in place before I make a final decision.  If masks are made mandatory for any part of the cruise I will most likely back out of the cruise I'm booked on in September.  My decision is based on four months of medical data about the Coronavirus.  I urge everyone to get as much factual information as you can so you can make an informed, logical decision for yourself.  Hope to see all of you all onboard.

• Like 1

On 6/2/2020 at 8:13 AM, Ocean Boy said:

Yeah, they were destroying the city of Providence last night but following the governors mandate to wear their masks. I will destroy your business but I'll protect my fellow hoodlums from any virus that I might be carrying.

Fear/respect of Covid-19 was not the reason for many of those masks.

• Like 2

On 6/1/2020 at 4:11 PM, npcl said:

It is the velocity, more than the size of particles.  Slow down the air flow coming out and the particles disperse prior to reaching and infecting others. Plenty of research papers, including video analysis, of both large and small particles exits.  With masks far fewer reach another person standing a few feet away.

Again the purpose is not the wearing it is to reduce spread from the potentially infected individual.

With over 50% of those infected are asymptomatic the question becomes have you accidently killed someone today.  You may be healthy, but other may not be.

This video from a research institute in Singapore demonstrates how it helps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLsGJHRGB_s

A couple of other articles.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/05/19/coronavirus-wearing-a-mask-can-reduce-transmission-by-75percent-new-study-claims.html

Wearing surgical masks in public could help slow COVID-19 pandemic's advance

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2020/04/200403132345.htm

The study was conducted at the University of Hong Kong as part of the dissertation research of the lead author, Dr. Nancy Leung, who, under the supervision of the co-senior authors Drs. Cowling and Milton, recruited 246 people with suspected respiratory viral infections. Milton's Gesundheit machine compared how much virus they exhaled with and without a surgical mask.

"In 111 people infected by either coronavirus, influenza virus or rhinovirus, masks reduced detectable virus in respiratory droplets and aerosols for seasonal coronaviruses, and in respiratory droplets for influenza virus," Leung said. "In contrast, masks did not reduce the emission of rhinoviruses."

Although the experiment took place before the current pandemic, COVID-19 and seasonal coronaviruses are closely related and may be of similar particle size. The report's other senior author, Professor Benjamin Cowling, division head of epidemiology and biostatistics, School of Public Health, HKUMed, and co-director of the World Health Organization Collaborating Centre for Infectious Disease Epidemiology and Control, said, "The ability of surgical masks to reduce seasonal coronavirus in respiratory droplets and aerosols implies that such masks can contribute to slowing the spread of (COVID-19) when worn by infected people."

This is a very good video covering mask use and why they should be used.  Very good summary in plan terms.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P27HRClMf2U

ahh, the guilt trip. have you always been n95? if not maybe you infected somebody. so we need permanent mask use, never know when you might be asymptomatic with the latest greatest virus. i dont ask people to wear a large particle filter in the very very small chance a very very small particle will get in me and a very very small chance it will kill me. thats life, or death. aerosols dont care about the velocity they punched through the mask at. heavier particles will fall quickly. aerosols can float about 12hrs in a room and thats just half life. alot of faith in a cheap mask. protect the scared or infirm(vast majority of fatalities) with n95 or stay home.  go USPch800 PPE for ultimate protection.

other articles--- 

https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-perspective/2020/04/commentary-masks-all-covid-19-not-based-sound-data

https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/topics/aerosols/pdfs/aerosol_101.pdf

13 hours ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

I’m seeing less and less masks out and about. I think people have watched the masses of people in the big cities and said screw it. We will soon find out the truth about CV19. 

NY and NYC were supposed to be on lockdown. People could have gone to jail but then they allowed them to group in masses and protest. Don’t understand their reasoning. 

Masks are very popular in Ocala

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Same in RI. Our illustrious governor say she supports the rights of the protesters and would never attempt to trample on their rights. At the same time families cannot go out to dinner in a group of more than 6 people (it was 5 but I guess she is allowing an extra kid to be toted along), funerals are still limited in number of attendance, beach parking is restricted, stores are limited in the number of people that can be inside, and on it goes.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Same in RI. Our illustrious governor say she supports the rights of the protesters and would never attempt to trample on their rights. At the same time families cannot go out to dinner in a group of more than 6 people (it was 5 but I guess she is allowing an extra kid to be toted along), funerals are still limited in number of attendance, beach parking is restricted, stores are limited in the number of people that can be inside, and on it goes.

Most likely because the right to peaceful protest is protected by the US Constitution (not that these protests are very peaceful.) The right to go to dinner during a pandemic is not.  Probably created quite the quandary for our elected officials.  🙂  

5 minutes ago, cured said:

Most likely because the right to peaceful protest is protected by the US Constitution (not that these protests are very peaceful.) The right to go to dinner during a pandemic is not.  Probably created quite the quandary for our elected officials.  🙂  

Yeah, that pesty Constitution is such a thorn in the side of politicians.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

If we just look at the protests and riots analytically, there are certainly some COVID tests cases here underway.

There have been protests where hundreds of people have laid shoulder to shoulder, some masked, some unmasked on the ground. How can these states then tell people they cannot lay side by side on a beach or arrest and fine them if they do?

There have been riots where people are engaged in very strenuous activities, masked and unmasked,carrying heavy loads, huffing and puffing...loading vehicles, climbing onto vehicles. If people are allowed to do these activities, why can’t manual labor jobs resume with the similar choice to be masked or not?

There have been riots where a great deal of physical contact and touching have taken place similar to that seen in professional and college football. If it is permissible for large crowds to assemble to watch these sorts of extreme physical contact, masked and unmasked in the streets , why can’t professional and college football resume in stadiums again?

Just some morning musing....

Edited by hazence
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, cured said:

I would argue that the right to peacefully assemble includes socializing. The constitution was written to limit the government, not the people. The same amendment (I) of the constitution that acknowledges the right to assemble and petition the government for grievances is the same one that prohibits the government from denying the free exercise of religion. Finding it hard to understand how government has been able to rationalize the different responses.

2 hours ago, bouhunter said:

Actually it's very sad too in some ways, even if just an attempt at humor.

I said it was interesting!! Not humorous.

If you are on a ship and you have to wear a mask at least the nose is covered and your not touching your face.

I have seen in some countries where they pull the mask down to take a drink then pull the mask up again with the risk of touching their face.

Edited by grapau27

1 hour ago, Ocean Boy said:

I agree. When I saw this on the other thread I didn't really find it funny. 

I didn't think it was funny but might be practical on a ship for taking a drink as the nose is still covered and the face isn't touched like it would be with a standard mask which would have to be pulled down to take a drink then pulled back over the face.

1 hour ago, Ocean Boy said:

In the UK pubs and restaurants are still closed.

2 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

This just popped up in my FB feed.

Solves the pool question

No. Horrible solution. 

Makes women look like they have a mustache.  😉

34 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

I didn't think it was funny but might be practical on a ship for taking a drink as the nose is still covered and the face isn't touched like it would be with a standard mask which would have to be pulled down to take a drink then pulled back over the face.

I found it hysterical.  But I have a sick sense of humor.

But not very practical.  By the end of the night, my mask would soaked in alcohol.  For some reason, my hand to eye coordination goes out the window. Tiredness,  I guess. 😇

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

No. Horrible solution. 

Makes women look like they have a mustache.  😉

I found it hysterical.  But I have a sick sense of humor.

But not very practical.  By the end of the night, my mask would soaked in alcohol.  For some reason, my hand to eye coordination goes out the window. Tiredness,  I guess. 😇

At first I thought it was funny then realised it would be very practical if masks were compulsory on board especially in the DL.

• Like 1