Regent Watercooler! Off topic and non-cruise discussion here!

9 minutes ago, forgap said:

When we get out of the COVID mess, email me about your next gig!  Are you in the metro Atlanta area?  Email is in my signature.  

We are based in Woodstock. July 4th is at Rocco’s Pub in Jasper. 25 miles from me, 50 miles from downtown Atlanta.

We are Red White and Blues Band/Woodstock, look is up on Facebook and Reverbnation.

I think it's great that like-minded people are meeting on this thread!  I don't play musical instruments, although I love, mostly classical, music and enjoy reading your posts .  I take mostly to writing...monologues and short plays...and maybe I can meet someone similarly predisposed...???

On 6/10/2020 at 4:17 AM, Dolebludger said:

Wendy,

Here in Durango CO, the restaurants are allowed to open for dining in, provided that they  set up for 6' distancing. One must wear a mask when not seated. Not all restaurants are open, as some are so small they cannot operate with the distancing, but some are, at least. And many restaurants also have outdoor seating, which is nice this time of year. Further, the city is considering allowing restaurant seating on sidewalks and into the street on Main Avenue, where most are located. Problem is, this will cut down on street parking spaces which, like in all mountain towns, is a bit scarce already. And since most people in our market area live outside city limits and no bus transport and no "park and ride" lots exist and cabs and Uber are scarce, I don't know how that will work out.They are also working to get our scenic steam train going again at 50% passenger capacity in the cars, perhaps by the end of June. Retail stores for things like clothing are open if they have a door to the outside. So stores in malls are still closed, except for those that have such a door. The city and county are working on getting that rule lifted by the end of this month. Masks are required in all outdoor areas in the city where 6' distancing cannot be maintained, and in all retail stores. As we live about 3 miles out of the city in the mountains, we are free to go about with no masks, which is probably medically OK, as there is no density here. 

The rules and regulations here are a bit of "mish-mash" as they are everywhere, because governments and health authorities were just not prepared for this -- nor could they have been. And of course (as all here might suspect) the idea of us going through airports and getting on a commercial flight is simply out of the question at this time. Only Southwest is promising to reduce the number of passengers on their planes and it does not serve us. So we will be in SW CO for the duration..

Hi ,thank you for the information. Christina and I are planning a driving trip up your way and have reservations on the train. Will be staying at the Double-Tree, wanted the Antlers B&B but they are closed.

Gents, 

Packing space is always at a premium for a cruise, but I always can find space for my Air Guitar.  You can see me out on the balcony, stomping on the Air Fuzz Face and cranking the Air Marshall Destroyer up to 11.  Yes, by cracky, back in the day I played in bar bands up and down the Oregon coast.  Our musical oeuvre was often referred to as "Country & Martian".  We actually played at some scary logger & mill worker bars with chicken wire between stage and audience - and you were glad to have it!!  

I was thinking the other day of the prescience of the lyrics to a song I wrote and performed frequently in 1974 (in said dive bars), "Stocking Up on Masks".  The chorus to this piece of cultural relevance went:

"Well, if you see me in the novelty shop,

Don't you even ask.

Ever since you left me darlin'

I've been stocking up on masks.

A mask to hide my sorrow,

A mask to hide my shame -

But you know I'd need me a gorilla suit,

To cover up this pain." 

I thought I was a by-God real songwriter, until my guitarist friend pointed out I had lifted the chord changes verbatim from "Puff the Magic Dragon".  So much for being the next Van Morrison....

Except for the 6 ft distancing rules pretty much everyplace in Charleston we normally go  is open except churches and ours will open in July.  I don’t go any place that requires masks and the only places I know that do that are Costco and a garden store.  We are in the camp of this being way overhyped based on our data analysis.  I did statistical analysis for many years and I enjoy doing it..  In South Carolina there is no statistical difference in deaths this year and the previous 4 years based on CDC data.  I do wash my hands every time I come home from anywhere and keep my distance in public places.

We definitely will fly.  WE are going to Yellowstone and Grand Tetons in August flying into SLC.  Those National Parks will not open lodges, only cabins and will only have carryout food.  We decided the hopefully much smaller crowds will balance the more basic accommodations and food.  We will drive with our granddaughter to the NC mountains for our annual trip with her in 10 days..  We’ve checked on attractions and restaurants and they are open.  I’ll bring disinfectant to wipe down all the surfaces in our rooms (and surfaces we will touch on the planes in August) - even if my husband laughs at me.  The cruise we had booked with her on Harmony of the Seas was cancelled.

I will be very sad if our Explorer cruise in November is cancelled.  This will be our first Regent cruise so we are not nearly as experienced as everyone else on this board and I am delighted to take advantage of all your knowledge.  Thanks for sharing.

For those on the West Coast, my brother is going to Lassen National Park in Northern California this week.  He says the hiking is great, the scenery is great and it is much less crowded than Yosemite.  So it might be a place you can drive to and have a nice vacation.

Tennis, 

I partially agree with you, but I think mask requirements are reasonable in places where one is in for only a short time (retail stores and such).  But the thought of wearing a mask on a cruise or a long flight really bothers me, when a simple answer of more distancing is a better possibility — except it cuts into profits. I don’t think much of that excuse when the number of American deaths is nearing that of WWI.  Simply, this country has become a much too crowded place, pandemic or not.

And here in Durango CO, I understand that our famous scenic steam train trip to Silverton and back will be required to run at 50% of max capacity to achieve distancing.  Not such a bad idea, even if there were no pandemic. Unless one books a trip in one of the premium cars, the seating is not that comfortable at full capacity. The standard cars, and their seating, was built for people in the 1880s. People were much smaller then. Now, they can become a bit cramped. At 50% capacity, it may be better.

Edited by Dolebludger

Tennis,

I hope you enjoy your trip in the Tetons and Yellowstone. (I am jealous) While I don't live in Wyoming anymore my kids do. There are not a lot of restrictions in place in Wyoming.

Keep your eye on SLC though, they have had a recent uptick in cases. But once you get past Park City you should be in good shape. We are keeping our eye on the area as we really need to make a business trip there sometime soon. 

Is everybody getting outside and enjoying the weather if it's nice?  I just spent a week at my cottage on the Ottawa River northwest of Ottawa and the feeling of relief and release was palpable after spending 2 months isolated in the city.  The city's nice, but if I go out, I'm dodging people on the sidewalk, and worrying about where I'm going. 

At the cottage I know my neighbours, it's a small community, and we're all in this together, but we can chat ten feet apart and still feel like we have our own space. In fact I had some great personal contact in the week I was there, more than the last two months in the city.   

And I can go for walks or bike rides and hardly see anyone at all.  And my own woods, and shoreline (a couple of acres), is mine alone.  Lovely, and I miss it now.  My son is still there enjoying his bird-watching, mushroom foraging, and just plain breathing the clean air.

I'm sure many of you live in the exurbs or otherwise a lovely natural environment.  But if not, I encourage you to get outside and enjoy a local park if nothing else.  

• Like 5

Wendy. We have been very fortunate where we live here in Savannah, called The Landings on Skidaway Island. Our Club has 6 golf courses, and they have all been open since day 1 of COVID, so luckily we are playing 4-5 times a week. We have 4 Clubhouses and 2 additional casual dining venues and although they did close initially for in-house dining, our Club kept staff earning by being very proactive with home delivery, curbside pickup and dining and special pop up dinners. All venues are now open again, albeit with social distancing requirements. Our island has had a total of 16 cases with zero deaths, so suffice to say, we have been more than fortunate when considering the global impact off the virus. I have a sister who is in a retirement home in Brampton and a staff member tested positive just over 2 weeks ago, so they have been in lock down mode for 14 days, which ends tomorrow. My best friend is in Burlington and he tells me things are gradually improving there and they are at least now able to get into TO to visit their son and daughter and grandkids. We are very happy we built a home and retired to where we now live.

Edited by Gpilon
  • Like 1

I’d love to see images of all the beautiful places we live. Here is my “happy place” Fire Island National Seashore taken on 6/25Through it all our NYS parks were never shut down. It is still possible to social distance here without problem. 

FD66777D-EDD7-43D6-B325-3351FB9E9BEE.jpeg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Gpilon said:

Wendy. We have been very fortunate where we live here in Savannah, called The Landings on Skidaway Island. Our Club has 6 golf courses, and they have all been open since day 1 of COVID, so luckily we are playing 4-5 times a week. ... 

I have a sister who is in a retirement home in Brampton and a staff member tested positive just over 2 weeks ago, so they have been in lock down mode for 14 days, which ends tomorrow. My best friend is in Burlington and he tells me things are gradually improving there and they are at least now able to get into TO to visit their son and daughter and grandkids. We are very happy we built a home and retired to where we now live.

Glad to hear that your island is a safe haven, it sounds lovely.  And I bet you're not really wanting to encourage tourists to visit from elsewhere?

Yes, Brampton was a hotspot for a while, as were care homes in general here in Ontario.  Our daily new case load is very low right now.  

I got to see our son and spend a whole week with him for the first time since we went to Florida in November. Probably won't get to hug him again for months.

IMG_5256.JPG.26cd57854759ad679eb2931ce466bdcf.JPG

It's not much, but this is the view out our kitchen window when I'm washing the dishes, old school style...

We keep bees, so the floral display in foreground is what was previously known as "the yard".  

A fairly Oregonian vista - you can barely see one of the half dozen vultures riding the updraft in upper right.

• Like 5

Yes. Actually picture was taken a week ago. The fire has now coverer the entire Mountain.They have over 1100 fire fighters working on it. Very hard if not impossible to do anything because of the steep terrain. As of today 45% contained and covering over 100,000 acres.