Will Florida cruises start back up in August?

6 minutes ago, ipeeinthepool said:

Does anyone know if the freighters are still taking passengers?  Maybe it's time to look for more options.

Not on the Great Lakes. They do not take paying passengers. The only way you can get on there is by fundraising auctions/lotteries. I guess if you also know the owner of the vessel that would work. 

I have thought about buying tickets but Lisa just rolls her eyes at me. 

C67DC8A4-4404-4279-A91B-513D98EDBCB5.thumb.jpeg.10b36f88758446096bb4f529e4dba5b8.jpeg

4 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

Who knows... maybe cruising will begin in NYC, instead of Florida like many originally thought.

We cancelled our trip to Maui for that reason.  They currently won't let visitors rent a car because they want you "locked" down.  They are taking it seriously.

The key will be seeing that your slow uptick doesn't grow exponentially, because you will run out of those beds.  Then you will have an issue.  I know I don't have to tell you this, but it does seem as though some of your fellow state's people do not get it.  

So far, and thankfully, your state is on the right side of things.

Having two family members in healthcare frontline, it’s not unusual to run out of hospital bed space, especially in the winter time when the snowbirds are here. They find ways to manage and deal with it. I’ve heard of one Hospital in Palm Beach where staff were complaining. Palm Beach, Broward, and Miami-Dade are an area of themselves. Very dense population as compared to most of the State. 

M8

4 hours ago, sillygirl6 said:

https://www.news965.com/news/local/link-see-icu-bed-availability-florida-covid-cases-climb/90sPOZMNJ2UntiJ9EwfgVL/

Shockingly, 26 Florida hospitals reported ZERO availability in the ICU Friday morning, two of those are local. 

Here you go - we are out of beds.  BBM

This is what media does. Big headline and you bought it. Here is more info in the article you posted. 

“But Patrick Manderfield, a spokesman for the state's health agency, told NBCNews.com the numbers are a little deceiving because they do not reflect new beds being added.  

Mandersfield said in a statement that, "Hospitals have the ability to convert beds and bring additional ICU beds online in a surge situation when necessary. Within 48 hours, hospitals have the capability to dramatically increase statewide staffed capacity in the event of a surge situation."

According to the data as of Friday morning,  20 percent  of the beds in Orange County were still available.  

Orlando Health Central in Ocoee and Advent Health Altamonte Springs both show only about a quarter of their ICU beds taken. “

SMH. M8

8 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

This is what media does. Big headline and you bought it. Here is more info in the article you posted. 

“But Patrick Manderfield, a spokesman for the state's health agency, told NBCNews.com the numbers are a little deceiving because they do not reflect new beds being added.  

Mandersfield said in a statement that, "Hospitals have the ability to convert beds and bring additional ICU beds online in a surge situation when necessary. Within 48 hours, hospitals have the capability to dramatically increase statewide staffed capacity in the event of a surge situation."

According to the data as of Friday morning,  20 percent  of the beds in Orange County were still available.  

Orlando Health Central in Ocoee and Advent Health Altamonte Springs both show only about a quarter of their ICU beds taken. “

SMH. M8

There are lies, damn lies and statistics 🙂   

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

SMH. M8

https://www.wesh.com/article/new-record-state-of-florida-reports-3822-new-cases-of-coronavirus-friday/32917347

the rates are through the roof IMO.  there won't be enough beds is my guess.  and with the protesting that went on in the state - well,  I think FL is in trouble.

Correct me if I am misinformed, but I do not think that Florida had the Phase 1,2,3,4 strategy that New York and neighboring states have chosen as a re-opening protocol.

Were the number of people using a beach in Florida limited? Was mask wearing and social distancing part of a plan?  Were the number of customers in bars,restaurants and retail shops limited ? Did hair salons,barber shops,tattoo parlors and nail salons have to follow certain protocols for their businesses to operate ?

Here on Long Island, NY,we have recently been in Phase 2. The parking lot of a nearby State beach has limited parking,with every other spot marked with a traffic cone. Once the lot is full, beach goers are turned away. Our local town beaches are limited to resident permit only and capacity has been diminished.

In our township,there are signs posted that wearing a mask is necessary if social distancing of 6ft cannot be maintained. The amount of customers in retail stores,restaurants and bars are limited,with only outside dining being allowed. While hair salons and barber shops can be opened,certain protocols have been put in place such as no one in the waiting rooms, only hair services are allowed- no other beauty treatments can be offered. Tattoo parlors are not open.

So far, our numbers are good. We are hoping this trend continues.

Of course there is a concern that numbers of positive cases may happen given the protests of the past few weeks and more people coming out of their homes to return to work. However, data will be the deciding fact if Phase 3 occurs or if Phase 2 is rolled back.

It is this attention to the data for decisions about re-opening that has caused the NY numbers to be so low ( at least for now). Perhaps if the government of Florida had been more cautious concerning reopening, the increased numbers of Covid-19 would not be occurring in the state at the present time.

To return to the OP’s question will Florida cruises start back up in August? Most likely not if the numbers we are seeing in a Florida continue on an upward trend.

From someone who has stayed the course since March,dealing with the threat of the virus and learning how to maneuver in such a situation, there is 0% chance that I would be interested in going to Florida to get on a cruise ship any time soon. YMMV

• Like 2

On 6/4/2020 at 1:08 PM, Oxo said:

We are on Oasis & Allure Nov 2020.

Hoping that will be a go? 

Sort of thinking things may get worse do to all the people protesting and not social distancing. 

Only time will tell. 

Again,  HOW can that possibly happen.  That’s when the virus will surge again.  Please stop dreaming and face reality

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, sillygirl6 said:

https://www.wesh.com/article/new-record-state-of-florida-reports-3822-new-cases-of-coronavirus-friday/32917347

the rates are through the roof IMO.  there won't be enough beds is my guess.  and with the protesting that went on in the state - well,  I think FL is in trouble.

Also the positive test rate is now over 8% and rising 

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, sillygirl6 said:

I guess that’s your opinion. Even your previous big headline said the hospitals have plenty of beds. 

Don’t see hospitals getting overrun at this time. It could always change. Remember, the Governor of NY needed all these extra beds, portable hospitals, NAVY Floating hospitals, and ventilators. It never happened. 

Florida today is at 8.9% positive test rate. Typically, of those positive, only 10-15% require treatment. Most recover at home. I believe the practice today is to do everything that is currently available for treatment and only as a last resort, ventilate. 

Florida has an issue with density. Long care facilities, farm labor camps, jails/prison. Cruise ships have a density issue as well. 

M8

24 minutes ago, MJSailors said:

It is this attention to the data for decisions about re-opening that has caused the NY numbers to be so low ( at least for now). P

How are people in the city (NYC) being tested?  Can people get out to be tested? Is testing available to everyone for any reason?  Except for a few cities, the density in Florida is nothing like other places. 

M8

35 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Don’t see hospitals getting overrun at this time. It could always change. Remember, the Governor of NY needed all these extra beds, portable hospitals, NAVY Floating hospitals, and ventilators. It never happened. 

You repeat yourself in this thread as if the need for these beds never utilized is something negative or to be frowned upon. Would you have rather seen every hospital bed filled with coronavirus patients so that this "totally under control" virus would have higher numbers and we would be winning by an even greater margin than present? I find it illogical that you need to criticize  that more people were not infected so that they would have filled the beds for your liking.

The governor of NY took this serious, he had beds in place if needed and gratefully they were not. He did not wait for space to be exhausted and then look to add. He did not welcome with open arms and closed lips thousands of spring breakers to boost the economy and then deny cruise ships from docking in his state with infected passengers and crew as happened in Florida. He imposed restrictions on his state to not be overwhelmed by the virus. Sad that other governors choose not to follow this course.

Since you repeated yourself, I will again repeat that the numbers used by the NY governor were provided by...the federal goverment. Washington DC.

You seem to be very agitated by this virus hoax. Relax, Florida will be down to zero very soon.

Edited by meadowlander
  • Like 3

Tests are available for the N Y Metro area. Of course people can “get out” for testing. They need to be mindful of masks and social distancing. They are not locked in their homes.

There was a commercial for Covid-19 in NYC. People were encouraged to get tested especially if they were experiencing symptoms. If they did test positive, they would be referred to carecenters.

With regard to testing though. A person could test negative  one day and a few days later show symptoms and be tested positive for the virus. Something to consider.

The gov. of Florida

points to increased testing that is causing the rise in cases. Does he not realize that irresponsible actions by individuals once they were told the state was going to reopen has been a major cause of the uptick in cases?

Edited by MJSailors
Spelling correction
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, MJSailors said:

The gov. of Florida points to increased testing that is causing the rise in cases. Does he not realize that irresponsible actions by individuals once they were told the state was going to reopen has been a major cause of the uptick in cases?

Do you really mean to ask this question? You and I, and many others know why this person is trying to justify the cause. He is also trying to justify why he opened early and did not consider the health of his people. Maybe, $$$$$ means more to some than human lives. This seems to be the only reason some of these leaders survive and run for office. $$$$$$$$$

Happy Cruising  - Stay Safe!!!!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, meadowlander said:

You seem to be very agitated by this virus hoax. Relax, Florida will be down to zero very soon.

Please show where I said CV19 is a hoax?  I’m very concerned about CV19 as the boss and my son both work in hospitals. 

NY Governor set up a fine for those outdoors in violation of lockdown orders. Why were thousands allowed on the streets to protest, riot, loot, and destroy property, Penalty free?

You may know the answer to this question. What is testing like?  Is it open and available to everyone?  Convenient?  Any requirements to be tested?  I have friends/family in NJ who have been unable to get tested. My 86yo mother has now been tested 4 times (negative). I believe she does it to get out. 

I’ve said Florida has issues in areas of high density. Things like long term care facilities, farm labor camps,  and jails/prisons. Unfortunately, cruise ships have similar issues. I’ve repeated that several times. How is that a hoax?  

M8

• Like 1

We can be tested in New York for the virus and antibodies.  I got tested when I had to go to the ER, everyone is tested before they decide which part of the ER they put you in. I didn’t realize they even tested me it was so quick.  They did rapid testing and I was negative.  Back to the point, I am not sure if your doctor has to okay the test but I think the ads all say anyone can get the test.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Please show where I said CV19 is a hoax?  I’m very concerned about CV19 as the boss and my son both work in hospitals. 

NY Governor set up a fine for those outdoors in violation of lockdown orders. Why were thousands allowed on the streets to protest, riot, loot, and destroy property, Penalty free?

You may know the answer to this question. What is testing like?  Is it open and available to everyone?  Convenient?  Any requirements to be tested?  I have friends/family in NJ who have been unable to get tested. My 86yo mother has now been tested 4 times (negative). I believe she does it to get out. 

I’ve said Florida has issues in areas of high density. Things like long term care facilities, farm labor camps,  and jails/prisons. Unfortunately, cruise ships have similar issues. I’ve repeated that several times. How is that a hoax?  

M8

Please show me where I said you said this is a hoax? Nice try though as for the past 40+ months it has become the norm to lob false accusations rather than answer the question.

Twice you wrote about hospital beds in NY not being fully utilized and I am trying to understand why this bothers you. Why you would prefer that more be sick so that it justifies your desire that those beds be occupied and create a further strain on the health care professionals as opposed to being glad the beds were not used. You chose to not address your "unique" view despite having the opportunity to do so. Obviously it troubles you greatly to the point where you complained about it not once but twice in the same thread Sad.

Twice I informed you that the figures which were used for projections were provided by the federal government and you ignore that as well.  You did not answer in words but your actions are more telling.

Unlike you, I do not want others, to get this virus so that they occupy hospital beds. I do hope your family members stay healthy.

My town in NJ had a testing site open last week for all regardless if symptomatic or city resident. I do not know if this was a 1x event. Some of the pharmacy's have begun drive through testing. It is some and only a few locations. It is not as promised on March 13 by DC that "stores in virtually every location covering this country in large part" would be testing. No need for you to explain why you remain silent on that promise not kept. I understand why. Sad.

Again, relax, take a deep breath, Florida will be down to zero very soon. Promise😷

6 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

Not on the Great Lakes. They do not take paying passengers. The only way you can get on there is by fundraising auctions/lotteries. I guess if you also know the owner of the vessel that would work. 

I have thought about buying tickets but Lisa just rolls her eyes at me. 

C67DC8A4-4404-4279-A91B-513D98EDBCB5.thumb.jpeg.10b36f88758446096bb4f529e4dba5b8.jpeg

Just don't book an the Edmund Fitzgerald. On a more serious note, check out Victory Cruises. They do the Great Lakes. And Viking is shooting for 2022 to fo American river cruises and the great Lakes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

NY Governor set up a fine for those outdoors in violation of lockdown orders. Why were thousands allowed on the streets to protest, riot, loot, and destroy property, Penalty free? EXACTLY!!!! They all become mice when it's time to ROAR. Everyone who has the power to do something is trying to be in the good books of the Let Tom Burn CVS Cause, Let Dick Plunder the City Foundation and Let Harry Loot And Don't Punish Him Organization. It is so ridiculous!

You may know the answer to this question. What is testing like?  Is it open and available to everyone?  Convenient?  Any requirements to be tested?  I have friends/family in NJ who have been unable to get tested. My 86yo mother has now been tested 4 times (negative). I believe she does it to get out. NJ governor keeps reiterating on his briefs: Go out, get tested, anybody can get tested now, see this website and that website to see which testing center is near you. blah blah blah.

M8