Let's talk FOOD!

Scratchrat

I think we are in agreement that processed foods are not good for you (but some do taste nice :classic_tongue:)

Lets have some nice salmon vol-au-vents :classic_smile: ... er wait :classic_unsure: ....

https://www.intrafish.com/salmon/new-china-covid-19-outbreak-to-directly-impact-salmon-business-around-the-world/2-1-825710   

I give up , pass me the fruit bowl  :classic_wink::classic_smile:

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, kalos said:

I think we are in agreement that processed foods are not good for you (but some do taste nice :classic_tongue:)

Lets have some nice salmon vol-au-vents :classic_smile: ... er wait :classic_unsure: ....

https://www.intrafish.com/salmon/new-china-covid-19-outbreak-to-directly-impact-salmon-business-around-the-world/2-1-825710   

Even then you don't know what you're eating.

https://www.pan-uk.org/our-food/

Mind you, I'd eat virtually everything produced in the UK, but give everything American a very wide berth.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

We always add ginger or five spice to the salmon, and eat it with noodles and stir fry veg. Gives it a bit of pep !

Try marinating the salmon in soy sauce and grated fresh ginger for a while before cooking in the marinade. I serve it on top of the noodles with stir fry veg on the side as well, and spoon any remaining sauce over the noodles. We should compare cooking tips😆

Avril 

42 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Try marinating the salmon in soy sauce and grated fresh ginger for a while before cooking in the marinade. I serve it on top of the noodles with stir fry veg on the side as well, and spoon any remaining sauce over the noodles. We should compare cooking tips😆

Avril 

that’s sounds nice. When can I come for dinner

• Like 1

4 hours ago, kalos said:

Well my cardiologist told me to cut back on meats such as pork and with the lack 

of meat ,they are almost vegetarian.:classic_wink:

We could get Vamps to learn you the fine  arts of eating in a chippy and you two 

can learn her the finer things such as eating rainbow trout .:classic_cool::classic_unsure::classic_biggrin:

unfortunately I’m far to common eat new things like trout 😂 

don’t think being brought up in Rotherham gives you fine dinning

2 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

You're not common Vamp, nor has it anything to do with fine dining.  We all have different tastes, You eat what you enjoy and what you see and smell is what stimulates you're appetite. For instance I have never tried, nor will I ever try, oysters, mussels, whelks or anything similar. Black pudding is a definite No because i know what's in it, and I can't even imagine trying bloody or even pink beef. Now sit back and watch the reactions😉. They will prove how different we all are.

Avril 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

Not sure why you think trout is fine dining - we buy ours from Asda! 

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

Even then you don't know what you're eating.

https://www.pan-uk.org/our-food/

Mind you, I'd eat virtually everything produced in the UK, but give everything American a very wide berth.

My mouth waters even now 30 years later, when I remember the rib eye steaks we had in a steak house in a little town called Page near the Glen Canyon dam, in Arizona.

Absolutely marvellous, even it was full of hormones.

2 hours ago, kalos said:

Do you remember the Fray Bentos corned beef scandal,lol.It only affected a small batch but put people off for years.My Mrs loves it.I'll take it or leave it.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, brian1 said:

Do you remember the Fray Bentos corned beef scandal,lol.It only affected a small batch but put people off for years.My Mrs loves it.I'll take it or leave it.

I do.  People wouldn’t eat it for years afterwards.  

I wonder if the brand Primula will now suffer the same fate.

33 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

You're not common Vamp, nor has it anything to do with fine dining.  We all have different tastes, You eat what you enjoy and what you see and smell is what stimulates you're appetite. For instance I have never tried, nor will I ever try, oysters, mussels, whelks or anything similar. Black pudding is a definite No because i know what's in it, and I can't even imagine trying bloody or even pink beef. Now sit back and watch the reactions😉. They will prove how different we all are.

Avril 

56 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

I've ate black pudding and over in Ireland white pudding and to be honest I can take it or leave it.

Years ago I would even collect cockles off the beach and with some vinegar on them eat loads of them .

For some unknown reason you would not get me to eat other shellfish or squid and octopus, maybe it was my dad 

who got me hooked on cockles at a young age,who knows? 

I'm with Avril when it comes to meat, I like it served well done.

When it comes to meat or fish, if it's looking at me or bleeding on my plate then I don't want it .

Vamps I have tried trout and my take on it is you are not missing much .

It had an earthy taste to me ,not to our Rotherham taste ,:classic_wink: 

a spud should taste like it came out of a field but not a fish .

I think fine dining in Rotherham is ok,if it's under £10 a head then it's fine by me.:classic_wink:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Vampiress88 said:

yes but they are haddock and cod 

aren’t they?

Not always if you buy "specials" sometimes as previously described as mini fish, sausage,mushy peas and chips because they call it mini fish so might be pollock. Also be wary in some pubs they sell fish and chips and dont state what fish and then they put a dearer version on and state cod or haddock.

Edited by majortom10

5 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

Not always if you buy "specials" sometimes as previously described as mini fish, sausage,mushy peas and chips because they call it mini fish so might be pollock. Also be wary in some pubs they sell fish and chips and dont state what fish and then they put a dearer version on and state cod or haddock.

All the more reason for sticking to a reputable fish and chip shop.  My wife was seriously ill after being served Pangasius (aka Basa and River Cobbler) instead of the Haddock it was billed as.

• Like 1

Just now, Harry Peterson said:

All the more reason for sticking to a reputable fish and chip shop.  My wife was seriously ill after being served Pangasius (aka Basa and River Cobbler) instead of the Haddock it was billed as.

Yes, we always avoid Basa. The worst type of farmed fish.

• Like 1

Just now, Harry Peterson said:

Many fish and chip shops sell haddock/cod/plaice as a main fish to go with full portion but when it comes to the smaller portion many call it mini fish and not mini cod/haddock for that reason. I know because I dont like or eat cod so always have to ask what fish they are before ordering. Nothing to do with "reputable" just pure finances when you get mini fish, sausage, chips and peas for the price you pay. It is a way to do a good deal but use a cheaper version of white fish pollock/basa as cod/haddock is so expensive. 

1 minute ago, wowzz said:

Trout and horseradish sauce. Lovely!

Wowzz we are going from bad to worse here ..I hate horseradish :classic_unsure:

You can have my share  :classic_rolleyes::classic_smile:

Failing that the cat over the road is in for a treat or it can have a burial...:classic_biggrin:

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Adawn47 said:

Avril 

I won’t try oysters either. They look so slimy. 
black pudding I have tried but don’t like it. 
have mussels in a paella but never on their own. Have tried crab. Don’t mind that. 

ugh I remember being scared stiff one Christmas when I was about 6. There was a full fish in the fridge with eyes on it. 

I don’t really do pink in my meat. I like it just done but not cremated. 

4 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

I won’t try oysters either. They look so slimy. 

I don’t like the texture of raw oysters, but find them delicious once cooked when the texture changes completely.

I don’t like the idea of black pudding, but the white version (Hog’s pudding in Cornwall) I really enjoy.

We are very lucky here in South Devon.  All our meat is from local farms and I buy veal mince and escalopes from a farm near Exeter.  I don't buy meat from supermarkets, don't trust where it's come from.

I buy fish online from Porthleven in Cornwall.  Line caught and wonderful.  If anyone is interested they are called Quayside Fish.  Just google them.

7 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

We are very lucky here in South Devon.  All our meat is from local farms and I buy veal mince and escalopes from a farm near Exeter.  I don't buy meat from supermarkets, don't trust where it's come from.

I buy fish online from Porthleven in Cornwall.  Line caught and wonderful.  If anyone is interested they are called Quayside Fish.  Just google them.

I couldn’t eat veal. 

having grown up on a farm that did pigs then cattle I just can’t seem to do it. 
funny it doesn’t bother me the beef mince or steaks etc but just can’t do

veal.