Let's talk FOOD!

Scratchrat

19 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

We are very lucky here in South Devon.  All our meat is from local farms and I buy veal mince and escalopes from a farm near Exeter.  I don't buy meat from supermarkets, don't trust where it's come from.

I buy fish online from Porthleven in Cornwall.  Line caught and wonderful.  If anyone is interested they are called Quayside Fish.  Just google them.

Having worked in the food industry, I can say that the traceability of British food is really good.  Even with  mass produced cheese you can trace back to the farms that provided the milk for each individual portion.

31 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

I couldn’t eat veal. 

having grown up on a farm that did pigs then cattle I just can’t seem to do it. 

I've helped to wean calves and I couldn't bear the thought of eating one.

Avril 

Tonights menu

sindhu- I know some of you don’t like this. But would you have anything from this even if it was free?

966F5E82-F703-4510-80F9-6CA8F9B848CF.thumb.jpeg.016aa8dde413ff4136c33fbf5435bbad.jpeg

E39A4DA6-9305-4A78-8866-F8DE9C2B1BEE.thumb.jpeg.57e3708201bc61a6decfe80ae710fae9.jpeg

0B6D8827-787A-4412-9955-C4A2FBA3ED70.thumb.jpeg.7ff78e98b07f4dcfe6cdd5cc63d18d4e.jpeg

I would have 

soft shell crab

Tandoori half chicken

mango and passion fruit parfait

hubby is too busy in the garage to play my game 

2 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

Tonights menu

sindhu- I know some of you don’t like this. But would you have anything from this even if it was free?

966F5E82-F703-4510-80F9-6CA8F9B848CF.thumb.jpeg.016aa8dde413ff4136c33fbf5435bbad.jpeg

E39A4DA6-9305-4A78-8866-F8DE9C2B1BEE.thumb.jpeg.57e3708201bc61a6decfe80ae710fae9.jpeg

0B6D8827-787A-4412-9955-C4A2FBA3ED70.thumb.jpeg.7ff78e98b07f4dcfe6cdd5cc63d18d4e.jpeg

I would have 

soft shell crab

Tandoori half chicken

Not really to my taste although I like most types of food especially Chinese and Italian.

However if I had to choose I’d go for the tiger prawns and the crab, no main course and then the mango and passion fruit parfait.

1 minute ago, Adawn47 said:

Avril 

me too. Loved the calves growing up. 
Remember once we were having to fetch them in from the top fields and one calf was so slow that it was falling behind and my dad said we would have to come back for it and that it would probably die. 

I sat in the field with it for what seemed like hours, no idea in reality how long it took but they came back for us with the tractor and the bucket on the front. 
I had covered the calf in my clothes, even my gloves on it’s ears. 

we got back, the calf lived and I had a bad cold for a week. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Avril 

Hi Avril, my friend is the same, but what's the difference between that and lamb?  The calves at this farm live out on the grass.  Must confess I am personally going off meat altogether.  I could easily just have fish and chicken and vegetables. 

Rose veal is slaughtered when the calves are 8 - 12 months

Lambs and pigs are slaughtered younger

Chicken are often barely out of the egg!

I wouldn’t want to eat the really young milk-fed/crated veal but rose veal is so much better than just killing newborn bull calves from dairy cows and sending them to the hunt kennels.  
If you do dairy you’re part of the circle, so make it all more sustainable by giving the calves some time on this earth and making them a very tasty end product.

36 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

Tonights menu

I would try ..
Beef pepper fry
tandoori murg
ice cream

Mrs K says ... 
Beef pepper fry
roast beef tenderloin 
ice cream

PS  thanks for offering to pay the bill, it's very kind of you :classic_smile:

Edited by kalos
  • Haha 1

Prawns

Lobster

Mango Parfait

Green tea

Don’t forget all the extras

’Compliments of the chef’ tiny savoury beforehand

Veg, dhal, rice & breads with the main course

Sorbet before dessert

Tray of little nibbles with your tea/coffee.  Those squidgy jellies!  

Edited by Eddie99

23 minutes ago, Eddie99 said:

I wouldn’t want to eat the really young milk-fed/crated veal but rose veal is so much better than just killing newborn bull calves from dairy cows and sending them to the hunt kennels.  

I remember as a kid growing up ,the local dairy farmer used to keep bullocks in a separate field to his other cattle.

I suppose they had a nice time in the field until the meat wagon came for them .

53 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

Tonights menu

I would have 

soft shell crab

Tandoori half chicken

Wow!  That’s quite some menu. Impossible to choose - nothing I wouldn’t eat. Now regretting not having tried it out.

2 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

I do.  People wouldn’t eat it for years afterwards.  

I wonder if the brand Primula will now suffer the same fate.

Cheers Harry,my  other gripe is the lack of t bone steaks after "mad cow disease".My favourite steak.

1 hour ago, Happy afloat said:

Beef pepper fry

Lamb shank

Bread and butter pudding

Not even going to eat and it still took me 15 minutes to make my mind up!

Love it!

i often am like this. Like to see what I’d have and it always takes ages to choose

55 minutes ago, kalos said:

I remember as a kid growing up ,the local dairy farmer used to keep bullocks in a separate field to his other cattle.

I suppose they had a nice time in the field until the meat wagon came for them .

they all do that at a certain point. 

I know on our farm only the bullocks went to be meat. The heifers were kept to breed. 
think they got a bit frisky and couldn’t be trusted at a certain age and they couldn’t go back to the other heifers since there would be mother’s and sisters in there. Plus you need to use a good bull for the breeding. Ours were called Fred, Mars and Leo. Didn’t really name the cows but we did have one called bake well cos we bought her from there 

3 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

A colleague once ordered steak tartare in Spain when we were on a business trip, but was horrified when he realised it was raw!

Your colleague obviously was not a Mr Bean fan.  My favourite episode was when he ordered steak tartare and was putting it wherever he could (the waiter's pocket, a nearby  ladies handbag, in the sugar bowl).

1 minute ago, Josy1953 said:

Your colleague obviously was not a Mr Bean fan.  My favourite episode was when he ordered steak tartare and was putting it wherever he could (the waiter's pocket, a nearby  ladies handbag, in the sugar bowl).

This was over 40 yrs ago so probably predates Mr Bean.

6 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

they all do that at a certain point. 

I know on our farm only the bullocks went to be meat. The heifers were kept to breed. 
think they got a bit frisky and couldn’t be trusted at a certain age and they couldn’t go back to the other heifers since there would be mother’s and sisters in there. Plus you need to use a good bull for the breeding. Ours were called Fred, Mars and Leo. Didn’t really name the cows but we did have one called bake well cos we bought her from there 

Lovely names ,glad you did not name any of them Wimpy, Mcdonald or (Burger) King :classic_unsure::classic_wink:

23 minutes ago, kalos said:

Lovely names ,glad you did not name any of them Wimpy, Mcdonald or (Burger) King :classic_unsure::classic_wink:

haha no. 

fred was for Freddy Mercury tho as my mum named him. 

I wasn’t allowed to name animals. 
I named a puppy I chose ice cream. Dad said he was not shouting that down the village and changed it to pearl 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Vampiress88 said:

Tonights menu

I would have 

soft shell crab

Tandoori half chicken

Ooh I'm looking forward to trying Sindhu, so in anticipation I will have....

Kozhi Sukka

Kalyera Mappas

Chocolate textures