Carnival to Dump Six Ships

besberry

On 6/27/2020 at 10:47 AM, zap99 said:

Internet says could be oral. Lots of discussion about the old polio vaccine helping. That was oral.

I saw one report suggesting a nasally inhaled vaccine might be effective targeting the route/infection method of the virus.  Lots of ideas thankfully, looking at different strategies.  Let's just hope something effective turns up soon - and moreover can be made widely available!   

I've been pretty up-beat thus far but must admit to it getting to me a bit now (not the lack if holidays - that's the least of it) as I had been so sure there would be more signs of lights at the end of the tunnel by now.  Still better off than many so must shake it off!!!

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, showingdiva said:

You're thinking of Astoria, which is still sailing (for now!) with Cruise and Maritime.   She came into service in 1948 as MS Stockholm, and as you rightly say is probably more infamous for her part in the collision with the Andrea Doria.

Phoenix Reisen have the former P&O Artemis (or Arty Mouse or Arthritis depending on what you knew her as! now renamed Artania.

Astoria is sailing to Lisbon to be returned to her owners - not sure if she has left yet.  She was due to finish sailing for CMV later this year and people on board earlier this year said they were told by staff on board that she was to go for scap then.  Only hearsay to me though.  I have heard some good noises being made about CMV in the last few days, but no firm news yet as far as I know, so still keeping my fingers crossed.  We like smaller ships so would be very sad to see them go.

We loved Artemis, but only discovered her in time for a couple of cruises sadly.  I had never heard her called names though.

Edited by tring

We loved Artemis as well, although in our case it was when she was Royal Princess, her original name,  in the late 1990s.

We sailed from New York on a cruise to Canada and had a great time.

She was the first cruise ship to have no inside cabins.

We loved the bar at the stern of the ship with a 360° view and particularly remember sitting there watching us depart from Boston and sail down the Charles river with great views of the planes arriving/departing from the airport. Indeed a lovely ship back then 20 plus years ago.

5 hours ago, showingdiva said:

You're thinking of Astoria, which is still sailing (for now!) with Cruise and Maritime.   She came into service in 1948 as MS Stockholm, and as you rightly say is probably more infamous for her part in the collision with the Andrea Doria.   She was indeed also called Athena at one point though when CIC had her.

Phoenix Reisen have the former P&O Artemis (or Arty Mouse or Arthritis depending on what you knew her as!)  now renamed Artania.

She was named Athena when I sailed on her out of Falmouth with Travelscope.  We sailed from Falmouoth all the way to the Caribbean.  In St Lucia we were moored behind Independence of the Seas.  We looked like the tender!

She went to Cruise International, perhaps I was thinking of Artemis going to Phoenix Raisen

https://www.cruise-international.com/athena/

Edited by jeanlyon

52 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

I'm sure we had inside cabins on Artemis?  We always have inside cabins.

When we were on Artemis we had a part obstructed outside.  From memory the grades started at obstructed outside.

We saw Artania as she is now about 18 months ago.  As we sailed past her I could see our old cabin, and it is now a balcony!

Yes, there were a lot of VERY obstructed views on Royal Princess/Artemis but definitely no inside cabins. 

They made a big deal of that at her launch in 1984 (by Princess Diana).

Athena is now the Astoria, sadly soon to be no more, but she has had a good innings since 1948!

Astoria/Athena 16,000 tonnes, Royal Princess/Artania around 45,000 tonnes

Edited by PrincessPete
Spelling

34 minutes ago, molecrochip said:

Ironic that Artania is currently berthed opposite Iona.

Hearing rumours again today that Oceana may be one of the six ships but alternative ship may undertake her cruises from Dubai.

I have always assumed that Azura would take over the Dubai sailings in the same way she will take over the Med fly cruise programme next year.  That would have taken us to the winter season of 2022/3, by which time Iona2 would have been in service and the LNG refuelling infrastructure should be operational in the Caribbean, and she would have been able to do the Caribbean alongside Britannia.  However I doubt that time scale it still feasible.

8 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I have always assumed that Azura would take over the Dubai sailings in the same way she will take over the Med fly cruise programme next year.  That would have taken us to the winter season of 2022/3, by which time Iona2 would have been in service and the LNG refuelling infrastructure should be operational in the Caribbean, and she would have been able to do the Caribbean alongside Britannia.  However I doubt that time scale it still feasible.

John - as the official "Voice of Doom" on this sub-forum, I have to say that you are just re-arranging the deck chairs.

Cruising, as we know it,  will not exist for another 5 years.

10 hours ago, wowzz said:

John - as the official "Voice of Doom" on this sub-forum, I have to say that you are just re-arranging the deck chairs.

Cruising, as we know it,  will not exist for another 5 years.

Wowzz, you do realise my comments were a pre covid assumption.  When it re-starts I am hoping its not a totally blank canvas, because some of the proposals on the other thread make it sound as though its going to be a weird Picasso style, instead of the awe inspiring Sistine chapel style we have grown used to

Heads up: Oceana will leave Tyneside at 6pm today heading for Southampton, arrive 00:30 Monday morning.

She is due to be at Ocean terminal through til 18:00 Wednesday when she will leave Southampton. I’m expecting it’s a permanent goodbye rather than temporary.

Yesterday evening, Carnival Corp added in an additional Q2 investor call for this Friday for a ‘further update’. I suspect we are about to get the relaunch plan, public hygiene changes and details on ship departures.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, molecrochip said:

Heads up: Oceana 

She is due to be at Ocean terminal through til 18:00 Wednesday when she will leave Southampton. I’m expecting it’s a permanent goodbye rather than temporary.

As you are one of the very few posters on here that I take much notice of, it seems like bad news for Oceana then.. 

Off to the great scrapyard in the sea... 

Andy 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, molecrochip said:

Heads up: Oceana will leave Tyneside at 6pm today heading for Southampton, arrive 00:30 Monday morning.

Yesterday evening, Carnival Corp added in an additional Q2 investor call for this Friday for a ‘further update’. I suspect we are about to get the relaunch plan, public hygiene changes and details on ship departures.

Any idea where she is going - is it possible that she is just heading off to Weymouth Bay?

8 minutes ago, Son of Anarchy said:

Farewell lovely Oceana.  Some great memories.  At least we got to cruise on her in January this year.

There are going to be some very disappointed people out there if this materialises, particularly if the replacement offering is a larger ship for her Dubai bookings. 

They could be required to go on a floating hotel as some would see it....or another group of passengers is going to lose out from whichever vessel replaces her current itineraries.

• Like 1

On 7/1/2020 at 10:15 PM, molecrochip said:

Ironic that Artania is currently berthed opposite Iona.

Hearing rumours again today that Oceana may be one of the six ships but alternative ship may undertake her cruises from Dubai.

Any idea yet as to which ship might undertake Oceanas cruises from Dubai?