December 20 on Riviera may have been cancelled.

jonthomas

12 hours ago, cruiseaholic78 said:

http://cruiseship.homestead.com/cruiseships.html
I am no expert but this looks to me like the Pacific Princess and not an Oceania vessel.

Rosalyn

That's certainly Pacific. Note the Sea Witch logo on the stack. Having sailed on her, she's a nice ship but I wouldn't call her a "luxury" vessel. $100 million is a real stretch for worth.

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, jonthomas said:

I am quickly beginning to realize that there will not be any cruises probably till the latter part of 2021 , if there are any cruise lines left by then. All the more reason to take the full refund while we can. 

Now you're thinking smart. You can always book later when things settle out. 

That's a shame.  I recently booked our first O cruise for March 2021.  March seemed like a long way off and a sure thing until the latest round cruise delays.  If they are already planning for no more cruising in 2020 on any of the O ships, March 2021 seems not so far away after all...in terms of more delays and cancellations.

20 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

That's a shame.  I recently booked our first O cruise for March 2021.  March seemed like a long way off and a sure thing until the latest round cruise delays.  If they are already planning for no more cruising in 2020 on any of the O ships, March 2021 seems not so far away after all...in terms of more delays and cancellations.

It is hard  for anyone  to know  what  even  a few months from now will look like

States  that seem to have the virus under some control are now spiking

So no ships  will want to sail from there  even if they are allowed

But if they do not start sailing  soon  like in 6 mths  the industry will be  done

JMO

57 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

It is hard  for anyone  to know  what  even  a few months from now will look like

States  that seem to have the virus under some control are now spiking

So no ships  will want to sail from there  even if they are allowed

But if they do not start sailing  soon  like in 6 mths  the industry will be  done

JMO

Yes I agree with you and dont see it starting in six months, even if a vaccine is available, it takes a long time to become effective over a large population. 

The cruise lines are getting a pass until maybe Thanksgiving on not sailing. If they don’t have ships sailing by Christmas the TAs will cut the line’s throat. They’ll get no more PIF or even down payments for future cruises. The TA will be recommending canceling everything with the line , and getting one’s money back, until they are actually sailing. Promises to sail, at that point, won’t suffice.

A lot of PIF dates are approaching for December cruises. If Oceania lies to the TA and tell them the ships will be sailing and don’t, it will destroy relationships that have been built over the years. What happens when the OCC TA turn against them?

47 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

The cruise lines are getting a pass until maybe Thanksgiving on not sailing. If they don’t have ships sailing by Christmas the TAs will cut the line’s throat. They’ll get no more PIF or even down payments for future cruises. The TA will be recommending canceling everything with the line , and getting one’s money back, until they are actually sailing. Promises to sail, at that point, won’t suffice.

A lot of PIF dates are approaching for December cruises. If Oceania lies to the TA and tell them the ships will be sailing and don’t, it will destroy relationships that have been built over the years. What happens when the OCC TA turn against them?

Our PIF date is July 4th for our December 1st Regatta cruise.   Haven't heard anything about that date being changed

18 minutes ago, Mrs f. said:

Our PIF date is July 4th for our December 1st Regatta cruise.   Haven't heard anything about that date being changed

By all accounts here that cruise isn't going, although it probably isn't cancelled yet. That's the point that many are unhappy about, Oceania not cancelling cruises that they know won't sail so they can collect a final payment then do a 4 or 5 month dance between the PIF date and the day they actually cancel. Then there is the time it takes for you to get it back, or hopefully hooking you on a %125 FCC that may or may not be any good.

This is leaving a bit of a bitter taste for many previous happy customers.  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Mrs f. said:

The posted sailing Board said the Regatta isn’t sailing until late April 2021. This would be a perfect example. If your TA asks the O rep “ is this cruise sailing”, and the response comes back positive, and O doesn’t sail, relationships will be lost. 

6 minutes ago, ORV said:

By all accounts here that cruise isn't going, although it probably isn't cancelled yet. That's the point that many are unhappy about, Oceania not cancelling cruises that they know won't sail so they can collect a final payment then do a 4 or 5 month dance between the PIF date and the day they actually cancel. Then there is the time it takes for you to get it back, or hopefully hooking you on a %125 FCC that may or may not be any good.

This is leaving a bit of a bitter taste for many previous happy customers.  

ORV;

My point is that while individually Oceania might be able to jerk you or I around once or twice, they are at the same time doing it multiple times to our high volume TA. Oceania deceitfully destroying that relationship is what will be their undoing!

Edited by pinotlover

Do any cruise line know if they are allowed to sail from US ports yet?

If you suspect  your cruise is not going to sail then cancel before the penalties kick in 

that includes the admin fee 

Why wait  ?

If they do happen to sail in Dec or 2021  you  have your money  so nothing lost

JMO

• Like 1

I just scanned over all the replies on this thread and I didn't see the following, so apologies if this is a repeat...

Paul Gaugin is open for business... scheduled to sail at the end of July.

There are specific protocols in place, not only for Paul Gaugin but also entering into FP itself.

We are scheduled to depart Dec. 5th on the Marina.  As I have said on other threads given that virtually the entire ship says waitlist it looks like it will be cancelled.  Our second part of the cruise is 21 days from Lima to Buenos Aires.  If the first part doesn't sail I would say neither would the second.  In fact, it too is almost all waitlist.  In the meantime, although Oceania expects the final payment for the 21 day leg on July 22nd, our TA charged our credit card on June 12th.  Now if I want to cancel before the final PIF date, I have to fight in the queue to get my money bank.  A plague on both of their houses!!

4 minutes ago, Ladys Mom said:

We are scheduled to depart Dec. 5th on the Marina.  As I have said on other threads given that virtually the entire ship says waitlist it looks like it will be cancelled.  Our second part of the cruise is 21 days from Lima to Buenos Aires.  If the first part doesn't sail I would say neither would the second.  In fact, it too is almost all waitlist.  In the meantime, although Oceania expects the final payment for the 21 day leg on July 22nd, our TA charged our credit card on June 12th.  Now if I want to cancel before the final PIF date, I have to fight in the queue to get my money bank.  A plague on both of their houses!!

I would be going after my TA if they did that 😲

Get them to refund the final payment   NOW  if you did not give them permission to take the payment early

My TA advises me  a week before the FP date  that it is coming up 

a month ahead is not acceptable

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Ladys Mom said:

In the meantime, although Oceania expects the final payment for the 21 day leg on July 22nd, our TA charged our credit card on June 12th.  Now if I want to cancel before the final PIF date, I have to fight in the queue to get my money bank.  A plague on both of their houses!!

Simply insist politely but firmly to your TA to reverse the charge as it is not due for more than a month -he/she had no right to do that. In the mean time decide if you want to pay the final payment.

PS Cross-posting with Lyn

Edited by Paulchili
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

It used to be that my agent would always call me before they charge my account.  Since COVID-19 they have assigned me to three different agents so I have difficulty reaching them for any reason.  Everything has been automated.  I am looking around for a smaller agency where I have a chance of talking to a real person when I have an issue.

1 hour ago, Ladys Mom said:

It used to be that my agent would always call me before they charge my account.  Since COVID-19 they have assigned me to three different agents so I have difficulty reaching them for any reason.  Everything has been automated.  I am looking around for a smaller agency where I have a chance of talking to a real person when I have an issue.

The reason the TA processed final payment was to lock-in their commission. Even if the cruise is cancelled, the cruise line will still pay the commission. But if you cancel before final payment, the TA gets nothing. Now you know the rest of the story. 

On 6/20/2020 at 2:08 AM, Paulchili said:

Also,  I can’t imagine who would have the interest and money to buy an “old”, albeit well kept, ship in this current climate.

Of all my cruises on O, Regatta was the one I have cruised on the fewest times - I would miss Nautica more.

Good luck to O as I am sure they can use the funds (if the story is true).

Not us, Paul!  We were on the R2 (now Regatta) on our first Renaissance cruise.  Of the Oceania "R" ships we have cruised on Regatta the most.  So SHE is the one we would miss ... even knowing that the ships are all pretty identical.

We were offered a bridge tour in O's early days, where we were sworn to secrecy about the event, and were absolutely thrilled to see that the schematic of the R2 was still on the bridge walls ...

Mura

On 6/20/2020 at 12:04 PM, DrHemlock said:

Slightly off topic, but referencing the website linked above:  For those O cruisers who cut our sailing teeth 20 years ago on Renaissance and Radisson, that same website offers the former Radisson Diamond for sale.  $47.5 million takes 'er home.  "Honey, did you remember to buy lottery tickets?"

Oh man, we did love that ship -- thanks, Jan! -- three times, including a trans-Atlantic.  Captain Neil Broomhall would allow one or two pax onto the navigation wings next to the bridge every now and then, and would occasionally allow one of us to sound the horn upon departure from port.  Giuseppe Ginanneschi -- remember him? -- was the Cruise Director.  

For all its faults, Diamond remains our favorite ship.  (And Paul Gaugin is #2....not that it matters to anyone but us.)

Not only was Diamond are second favorite ship (after Mariner) but Neil Broomhall has been our favorite Captain in twenty years of cruising.

• Like 1

On 6/21/2020 at 4:14 PM, Ladys Mom said:

Sadly, the travel industry has been hit hard. The big online agency that I use furloughed most of their agents. My long time trustworthy agent was let go and has not returned. The agents that are still working are mostly processing refunds.  There maybe some bookings. The agents don’t really have much interest working with new clients leftover from other agents.  It took me a long time to reach a person at the Agency. They were rude. Probably tired.  When I want to book again, I will be looking for a real travel agent, not an automated one.  It may be a long time before the travel industry revives. Be patient.  In the meantime, need help with a cruise booking, call the cruise line directly.  

24 minutes ago, Redtravel said:

Sadly, the travel industry has been hit hard. The big online agency that I use furloughed most of their agents. My long time trustworthy agent was let go and has not returned. The agents that are still working are mostly processing refunds.  There maybe some bookings. The agents don’t really have much interest working with new clients leftover from other agents.  It took me a long time to reach a person at the Agency. They were rude. Probably tired.  When I want to book again, I will be looking for a real travel agent, not an automated one.  It may be a long time before the travel industry revives. Be patient.  In the meantime, need help with a cruise booking, call the cruise line directly.  

As you can tell, I had the same experience you did.  I was so sorry when I lost my long time agent at the big online agency.  We were like family.  It has not been the same since.  I think I found someone I like at a small agency who I can call and talk to directly.  I wanted to move my other reservations to her, but it was too long since I booked so she doesn't get any of the commission when I pay the FP.  So be it, she will get my future business.

• 5 weeks later...
On 6/21/2020 at 6:16 PM, Fort_Worth said:

The reason the TA processed final payment was to lock-in their commission. Even if the cruise is cancelled, the cruise line will still pay the commission. But if you cancel before final payment, the TA gets nothing. Now you know the rest of the story. 

I asked my TA directly:  Did you get paid your commission on our fully paid Sirena cruise this past April which O cancelled about 7 days prior to sailing?  His answer was absolutely NO!  So feeling sorry, when we booked our December cruise, we turned it over to him in order to 'make him whole' for all his work (however inept he is).  

Fort_Worth's post above makes me wonder is our TA was outright lying to me.  Anyone know which version of commission pay/not pay is correct?  Inquiring mind wants to know.