Have you seen people denied entrance to dining room because not. Dressed properly?

oskidunker

1 hour ago, Victoria2 said:

I'm one of the asses. I love a piece of the brittle American bacon occasionally when on board!  😁

I'm not proud, I occasionally order an American breakfast.

My one gripe, is that last year on QE they; started using cooked ham for Eggs Benedict instead of cooked bacon (usually Canadian style i.e. loin only), so I have to specify exactly how I prefer it to be served, along with two English sausages, but not every day.

Our waiters are often surprised that about half my time on board,  breakfast will consist of cornflakes and a slice of toast (not in the same bowl) and a pot of tea. Her indoors, will often just have berries or fruit and a pot of coffee.

The real problem always comes at lunchtime when they often put on British favourites like liver and bacon, or another great Glasgow traditional meal, curry! and, although I'm not a pudding person, if they have rice pudding, I always fall for it. You do need an afternoon nap after that lot.

Last year, after a hearty lunch, when we went got dinner, all I wanted was a New York strip steak, with nothing else. No veg or potatoes, just on its own. The chef sent two to choose from, or I was told I could have them both. I just had one, as I spotted the Crepe cart!

1 hour ago, BigMac1953 said:

My one gripe, is that last year on QE they; started using cooked ham for Eggs Benedict instead of cooked bacon (usually Canadian style i.e. loin only), so I have to specify exactly how I prefer it to be served, along with two English sausages, but not every day.

Last year, after a hearty lunch, when we went got dinner, all I wanted was a New York strip steak, with nothing else. No veg or potatoes, just on its own. The chef sent two to choose from, or I was told I could have them both. I just had one, as I spotted the Crepe cart!

Ham for Eggs Benedict?   Sounds like they are aping McDonalds - that is close to being an Egg McMuffin.

You never want to ignore the crepe cart.

I'm glad to hear that Cunard does hold to a certain dress code (dark suits or tuxedos).  

A few years back I was in Disney World. We went for dinner at the Brown Derby, the recreation of a famed and glamorous Hollywood restaurant.  The food was very good, and the restaurant is nicely appointed, but it is hard to see yourself as being in an elegant dining environment when everyone is wearing shorts and t-shirts.    I'm not faulting the restaurant; it is after all in Disney World, but my point is that how we dress does add to, or detract from, the overall environment.   

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I could have been. I travelled from Scotland to Southampton to to a TA on QM2. 

It it was only when in the hotel in Southampton that I realised I had left my suitcase at home! 

I have posted the story here. 

It it was funny running round PradaMark/Primarché (Primark) like Supermarket Sweep, the evening before we cruised buying EVERYTHING! Tuxedo, shirt, bow tie, shoes, belt, socks, underwear tea shirts polo shirts, cuff links, blazer +++ even needed a suitcase to put it all in!

it still gets brought but 6 years later! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 7/17/2020 at 6:11 PM, AussieVoyager said:

I hope I don't put anyone off, but I do like to dress a certain way for embarkation - so much so that my wife laughingly refers to me being in my 'shipboarding outfit'.

I'm exactly the same as regards getting dressed up for embarkation! It's an event as well as being the start of your journey so it deserves the same attention as any other part of the trip.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/26/2020 at 9:49 PM, Victoria2 said:

I'm one of the asses. I love a piece of the brittle American bacon occasionally when on board!  😁

You mean 'Cremated' Bacon ?'

On 7/24/2020 at 1:40 AM, PORT ROYAL said:

Could you kindly clarify the actual composition of a British Breakfast, as this named repast is new to one?

This what the North Americans1065608485_th(2).jpg.25df17f2bafb88f72b446dd7681ab16b.jpg need every morning, ye olde full english..

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, NSWP said:

This what the North Americans1065608485_th(2).jpg.25df17f2bafb88f72b446dd7681ab16b.jpg need every morning, ye olde full english..

The question was for the clarification of a "British Breakfast", but you kindly posted a photograph of a possible Northern interpretation of a "Full English".

Edited by PORT ROYAL

5 hours ago, NSWP said:

That's the one. One cut with a knife and fork and it splinters. I just pick it up with my fingers, delicately of course with little finger raised to show elegance 😄 and put it on a slice of well buttered toast. Yum.

1 hour ago, Victoria2 said:

That's the one. One cut with a knife and fork and it splinters. I just pick it up with my fingers, delicately of course with little finger raised to show elegance 😄 and put it on a slice of well buttered toast. Yum.

Mind you, the knife cutting approach can break the ice with those on the neighbouring table, should a fragment fly in that direction. Like the awful oblong milk sachets that some railway companies have. I don't seem to be able to open those without squirting someone diagonally opposite over the aisle.

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

Mind you, the knife cutting approach can break the ice with those on the neighbouring table, should a fragment fly in that direction. Like the awful oblong milk sachets that some railway companies have. I don't seem to be able to open those without squirting someone diagonally opposite over the aisle.

My  finger pickin' technique has been my modus operandi for many years now so no GBH by Bacon done to any fellow guest. 🙂

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, NSWP said:

As a American Bacon lover, made right it's very tasty and look forward to it.

We make it right especially for BLT's.... Bacon Lettuce and Tomato Sandwich

Sorry you had it wrongly prepared..

• Like 1

On 7/13/2020 at 10:27 AM, oskidunker said:

I guess its possible someone would book Cunard and not be aware of the dress code. Some funny stories would be great..

Our first cruise was on a Cunard ship in 1973.Every dinner meal had a dress code.In those days nobody wore jeans or tee shirts at any time on the ship.Even on days in port men wore button down shirts.I often look at my photos from that cruise .

• Like 1

The button down comment, somehow reminded one of our first Cunard Cruise (Cunard Countess), where on all Formal nights ladies wore a fresh flower corsage .  Still order a corsage for my DW, but now only when dining at a black tie officer's table.

Thank you for jogging a nice memory.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

As a American Bacon lover, made right it's very tasty and look forward to it.

We make it right especially for BLT's.... Bacon Lettuce and Tomato Sandwich

Sorry you had it wrongly prepared..

The Princess 'American Bacon' is cremated or as some would say nuked.  To be eaten with the fingers as it is so brittle. I was told by a cook they deep fry it.  I don't mind it at all.  Brits and Aussies would call it streaky bacon, for that is what it is, lot of fat, but we would only half nuke it.

th (1).jpg

Edited by NSWP

23 hours ago, Victoria2 said:

You were brought up well.  Fingerwise. A sanitiser should be placed next to the American bacon.

Edited by NSWP

On 7/30/2020 at 11:57 PM, NSWP said:

Of course you can overcook anything. If side bacon (the generic term) is over cooked - especially when it is sliced too thin (the way cruise lines serve it in a dismal effort to get apparently more for their money) it will be brittle and useless.  The same mistreatment could be applied to British bacon (back bacon):  if it were sliced too thin and cooked too long, it too would be dismal.

I suggest that if you were to have properly cooked, thick sliced “American bacon”, you would appreciate it as an excellent complement to any style of eggs.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, NSWP said:

The Princess 'American Bacon' is cremated or as some would say nuked.  To be eaten with the fingers as it is so brittle. I was told by a cook they deep fry it.  I don't mind it at all.  Brits and Aussies would call it streaky bacon, for that is what it is, lot of fat, but we would only half nuke it.

th (1).jpg

As a bacon junky i have found kings court my bane . I prefer rare and can spot it from the pile feet away ,i have been spotted on more than one occasion with a separate plate just for it. Just one of the many foods i go through withdrawal upon disembarking . I got lucky once where breakfast shutdown was way slow and lunch [hamburgers] were up early.......i jacked a plate of bacon for our double patty burgers   

Yes! Me. 

I was refused entry to the Britannia restaurant once because I didn’t have a jacket on. It was during a Norwegian fjords cruise in June 2019 and it was very warm onboard. 

However, fair enough - those are the rules. I went back to my room and was allowed in a few minutes later! 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, AspirationalFlyer said:

However, fair enough - those are the rules. I went back to my room and was allowed in a few minutes later! 

I had same experience at the Theatre once too on a formal night, just walked in another door ,as if having a jacket mattered in the dark on a hot night. But I have seen people get annoyed especially the night before disembarkation at late seatings.

• Like 1

The only thing in my case was that I was wearing a three piece suit initially and left the jacket in my room because I was so warm. I still had the matching waistcoat and a tie on and probably looked much smarter than many others inside. That being said, I knew it was not technically compliant with the rules so it was ok. 

The funnier incident was the two young German ski instructors that had decided to come on the QM2 to get to the US. They didn’t seem to have a clue about the dress code and did not have suit jackets. They did get dispensation to come into the Britannia without jackets eventually though. 😅

59 minutes ago, AspirationalFlyer said:

The only thing in my case was that I was wearing a three piece suit initially and left the jacket in my room because I was so warm. I still had the matching waistcoat and a tie on and probably looked much smarter than many others inside. That being said, I knew it was not technically compliant with the rules so it was ok. 

The funnier incident was the two young German ski instructors that had decided to come on the QM2 to get to the US. They didn’t seem to have a clue about the dress code and did not have suit jackets. They did get dispensation to come into the Britannia without jackets eventually though. 😅

They could have worn their North Face ski jackets. Lol

On 7/25/2020 at 11:30 AM, navybankerteacher said:

You should try to distinguish sausages - what you got served on QM2  with the beans and eggs, probably the tomato (but hopefully not the black pudding) was a banger - not a hot dog - big, big difference. 

BSC-Black-Pudding-200g-with-Shadow-WEB-256x256px_rgb.jpg.7ba81eade275be523a7354ec75ffb8c9.jpgblack pudding is great

• Like 1

5 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

“great” is a subjective term.  I suppose you might apply it to Marmite (or, noting your location, Vegemite) as well.

I wonder if that sort of thing was sent over on the First Fleet.

Perhaps the Brits should have sent it to Boston, 100 years before Captain James Cook entered Sydney Harbour, they could have had it on the menu at the Boston Tea Party.   The Black pudding is sold here, do they sell it in the US of A?   I don't know of many Aussies who would eat it.  I have seen it on P&O UK and Cunard, the black pudding that is, grilled/fried for breakfast.

Now Vegemite, that is a very popular spread here.  Princess ships operating from AUS stock it.

th (4).jpg

Edited by NSWP