Should I just wait and see

lbfluffy

We have a cruise booked on December 12th on the Royal. Should I just wait till the 30 day cut off to cancel? Cruises keep getting cancelled. Right now we are also booked on the Majestic December 2021, so if the cruise line cancels our cruise we are fine with waiting. I have read if the cruise cancels they offer extra ship board credit. Thank you 

With each new cancellation, the OBC is reduced.  These numbers reflect when a cruise is paid in full.  It was as high as 100% + 100%.  Then it went to 100%  + 50%.  Latest is 100% + 25%.  You are no where near final payment.  Some have received a token OBC for having a deposit on a cruise.  If you really want to go on this December cruise, just hold out.  Who knows what will happen.  The Royal will be ported out of Los Angles (San Pedro).  Numbers in California are very high and the governor has threatened to shut down the state, again.

The down side is the long waits...to get any refund/credit for your cruise.  I wouldn't start packing yet.

• Like 1

When they cancelled my Sept 19 Scandinavia cruise they offered us to double our deposit ( 100 each) if we kept it as FCC.  We had not got to final payment and we had not paid more than our deposit.  We went ahead with it bacuse it was a small amount to gamble in the event they go bankrupt.  I would not have gambled with much more.

i was waiting for an offer from then rather than cancelling.  I would not have paid in full.  I don’t gamble that much 

Edited by tanyaewa
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, tanyaewa said:

When they cancelled my Sept 19 Scandinavia cruise they offered us to double our deposit ( 100 each) if we kept it as FCC.  We had not got to final payment and we had not paid more than our deposit.  We went ahead with it bacuse it was a small amount to gamble in the event they go bankrupt.  I would not have gambled with much more.

i was waiting for an offer from then rather than cancelling.  I would not have paid in full.  I don’t gamble that much 

Thnsk you for information. We got such a great deal on this cruise and a mini suite upgrade . We are looking forward to this cruise, but I need to think of our safety. My husband has AFIB. So we need to to be safe. 

It came as an email directly tp myself and my husband.  My TA didn’t get it.  She called me on final payment day and I told her the cruise had been cancelled by Princess via email.  I forwarded her the info 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, lbfluffy said:

We have a cruise booked on December 12th on the Royal. Should I just wait till the 30 day cut off to cancel? Cruises keep getting cancelled. Right now we are also booked on the Majestic December 2021, so if the cruise line cancels our cruise we are fine with waiting. I have read if the cruise cancels they offer extra ship board credit. Thank you 

Did you book with refundable deposit for the December 12th cruise, for me I would cancel that one now, especially if your husband is at a higher risk for complications.  Why risk anything in the hopes for maybe a couple of hundred dollars in OBC.  A heathy life is more important.  For December 2021, that cruise has much higher hopes.  Hope we all get good news soon and can go back to cruising.  I am hoping for December 2021 as well, I got one in mind but waiting to book.  Cheers.

we're playing the 'wait and see' game for our late November cruise, with a late September final payment date ... and then the somewhat still new 30 day before sail date with FCC and refunds ... if ANY cruises go, this could be one of the first ... and in some perverse way ... I hope ... well, anyway now off to our local (Publix) with required mask in hand ...

• Like 1

Alternatively, do not book a cruise. Get a refund and if they do not offer a refund, credit card dispute.

What exactly are you purchasing folks? 

Another option is to wait and see what precisely is the cruise product - then decide IF it is something you wish to purchase versus alternative travel options available.

You have the option to make yourself free of obligation and spend time analyzing the future events to see where you wish to put your travel $.

Cruising has many negatives against them going forward. 

8 hours ago, Potstech said:

One of the benefits of Future Cruise Credits.  Use them for deposits and if they cancel you get the FCC back with no worries. 

I tried booking a cruise with my FCC as deposit and they said it wasn't possible. Did you mean FCor can you send me something so that I can pursue this further?

I sent her the slide from the webinar but my rebooked cruise (same itinerary but April 2022 instead of March 2020) wasn't eligible. I do not want to hand over any more money when I'm still owed FCC from 1 cruise and gift card refund from another

Edited by Ombud

50 minutes ago, Potstech said:

All we use is a FCC as a deposit for any of our cruises as handled by our TA. I would suggest calling again to get a different answer. This is one reason we use a local TA for our travel.

If it hasnt posted, you cannot do this.  Misinformation.

So what we have been doing for the last10+ years is misinformation?  Highly unlikely.  Have a cruise set up right now that the only deposit we needed was our Future Cruise Credit.As have the other two people that are supposed to travel with us. So where is it wrong? 

So what we have been doing for the last10+ years is misinformation?  Highly unlikely.  Have a cruise set up right now that the only deposit we needed was our Future Cruise Credit.As have the other two people that are supposed to travel with us. So where is it wrong? 

I think you’re referring to a FC DEPOSIT that you purchased onboard a cruise. Not a FC CREDIT.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
  • Like 1

A bit of confusion here.

FCD / Future Cruise Deposit / purchased while on a cruise for $100 to be applied to any new booking as a deposit to hold the cruise.

FCC / Future Cruise Credit / Credit received for a cancelled or insurance cancelled cruise / Held in your account until you apply it to your next cruise.

I booked a cruise and then later added on a second passenger.  Her FCD was held up on a cruise that was on the verge of being cancelled.  Cruise was cancelled.  I then added her to my booking while  Princess was still sorting out credits.  TA said that we could add her name now and FCD later (hold now) when Princess released the FCD months down the line.  FCD was finally added to her booking.

On a sideline.  I took the offer of FCC when my cruise was cancelled after final payment.  My FCD was included in the in the FCC.  Luckily I have a stash of FCDs and didn't need to fight for Princess to break down FCD/fare/goodwill credit.  This is why it is always good to have a few extra FCDs lying around.  

5 hours ago, Potstech said:

All we use is a FCC as a deposit for any of our cruises as handled by our TA. I would suggest calling again to get a different answer. This is one reason we use a local TA for our travel.

Are you certain you don't mean you use FCD as deposit? I always use FCD as the full deposit on my cruises but have never had any FCC.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Thrak said:

Are you certain you don't mean you use FCD as deposit? I always use FCD as the full deposit on my cruises but have never had any FCC.

To help confuse things, on the Princess web site when you look at your FCCs, your FCD will be listed as an FCC but identified as coming from an FCD.

• Haha 1

If I were you I would not want to cancel it. I mean first of all it was your personal intiative to cruise in that period. Second, if nothing extraordinary has happend, why would you want to cancell it in the first place? Third, I would just wait and see. If the cruise gets cancelled for some reason, I am sure you will get your refund plus some bonus. Canceling now doesnt sound like a good idea.. unless you need money here and now 

45 minutes ago, Potstech said:

I use the same terminology my TA does.  It makes life and communication so much easier.  Some say FCC others say FCD. I will continue to use what works for us.

Say what they you want, but they are different.  This is the misinformation I referred to.

• Like 4

My FCD were refunded as part of my cancelled cruise, in the form of aFCC. They were not expired. I tried to get them reinstated as FCD but was told no

later, I have seen posts where others had their FCD returned to use again and others who were refunded to their credit cards