If Royal Requires A Covid-19 Vaccine Before Cruising Will You Get It???

If Royal Requires A Covid-19 Vaccine Before Cruising Will You Get It???  

1,014 members have voted

1. 1. If Royal Requires A Covid-19 Vaccine Before Cruising Will You Get It So You Can Cruise Again?

• YES
    • NO

11 minutes ago, TheMastodon said:

Positive cases are climbing while they have vaccinated a lot of folks.  In fact I see positive cases rising slightly across the USA now .  Guess everyone is taking their masks off

Vaccine was originally touted as preventing severe illness and hospitalizations. I remember back when they first talked about a vaccine and the goal of lowering death rates and hospitalizations.  A lot of people deny that now because it was shown to be effective at preventing illness.  So, more positive cases does not mean more severe illness.  Our rates have been dropping here in VA.   

Okay, according to this article, it's politics (isnt everything lol) and some other issues including schools opening and that the infection rate in older people is lower and younger are higher.

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2021/02/why-are-cases-rising-in-israel-the-most-vaccinated-country.html

Edited by BND

33 minutes ago, BND said:

Vaccine was originally touted as preventing severe illness and hospitalizations. I remember back when they first talked about a vaccine and the goal of lowering death rates and hospitalizations.  A lot of people deny that now because it was shown to be effective at preventing illness.  So, more positive cases does not mean more severe illness.  Our rates have been dropping here in VA.   

Okay, according to this article, it's politics (isnt everything lol) and some other issues including schools opening and that the infection rate in older people is lower and younger are higher.

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2021/02/why-are-cases-rising-in-israel-the-most-vaccinated-country.html

Was merely hoping vaccines would prevent infection all together and they very well could.  We know 100% certain that it keeps people out of the hospital which is all that matters for society as a whole.  I suppose it's just too early to tell how they will perform in real world conditions with spread, etc! 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, TheMastodon said:

Was merely hoping vaccines would prevent infection all together and they very well could.  We know 100% certain that it keeps people out of the hospital which is all that matters for society as a whole.  I suppose it's just too early to tell how they will perform in real world conditions with spread, etc! 

If you read the article I linked, it appears the new cases are mostly among the unvaccinated younger people who  let down their guard after the vaccinations proved to be effective in lowering cases among those that were vaccinated (50+).  So, the vaccine is working to prevent illness in those that get it.   

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BND said:

If you read the article I linked, it appears the new cases are mostly among the unvaccinated younger people who  let down their guard after the vaccinations proved to be effective in lowering cases among those that were vaccinated (50+).  So, the vaccine is working to prevent illness in those that get it.   

It doesnt last forever. Its effective for 1-2 years depending on your immune system. Basiclt, in my opinion, we are trying to win 1-2 years to develop something more effective. In my opinion we are going through beta testing right now 

6 minutes ago, Roger88 said:

It doesnt last forever. Its effective for 1-2 years depending on your immune system. Basiclt, in my opinion, we are trying to win 1-2 years to develop something more effective. In my opinion we are going through beta testing right now 

We shall see.  Did you know that when they  tested people who had the Spanish Flu in 1918 that they found they still had the B cells to fight it in their systems?  Basically they were still immune for their entire lives.  

https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2008-08/tmsh-so1081408.php#:~:text=New research has discovered that,the highly lethal 1918 infection.

And, before you bring up those that have caught covid twice, it's very, very rare.  Just like those that have had chicken pox twice.  It can happen, but not very often.

Edited by BND

8 minutes ago, BND said:

I read it & understand.  That scenario just hasn't played out here in the states - not much transmission in local schools around here.   I take everything I read with a grain of salt these days....

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Roger88 said:

LOL Covid has been here for a little over a year (it was in China well before xmas 2019 - diff topic diff day)

How do they know it only lasts two years then Rog?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TheMastodon said:

I read it & understand.  That scenario just hasn't played out here in the states - not much transmission in local schools around here.   I take everything I read with a grain of salt these days....

Children just don't get very sick and don't transmit the way adults do.  Our schools are back in session two days a week for younger kids and heading back that way for all kids.  I know several adults with kids in their homes who have had it and their kids did not, just like some adults don't.  There is some natural immunity out there for some people and kids just seem to be more immune.

16 minutes ago, Roger88 said:

And you know that how?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, TheMastodon said:

Here's another immunity update if anyone is interested.  

covid19-projections.com has been more accurate than anyone else out there.

IMG_2972.thumb.jpeg.9b1d4ff122d44d216d62c5bad59299cb.jpeg

this is exactly what I am talking about. There are more peoople who are safe from any further complications because they have already been sick with it. If you get a vaccine today, where is the gurantee that you wont get severily sick a year later for example or get some other post-effects of the vaccine? I cant risk my health.. and I dont want to catch Covid.. I think its more of a fate thing . 

1 hour ago, Roger88 said:

this is exactly what I am talking about. There are more peoople who are safe from any further complications because they have already been sick with it. If you get a vaccine today, where is the gurantee that you wont get severily sick a year later for example or get some other post-effects of the vaccine? I cant risk my health.. and I dont want to catch Covid.. I think its more of a fate thing . 

Yes statistically speaking you would recover from Covid.  If you are over 65 tho I would prob get the vaccine.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Roger88 said:

There is no way to tell if this is true. How did you even come up with such stuff if covid hasn’t been around that long. If you read it somewhere then common sense would tell you this can’t be true. 

• Like 2

On 7/22/2020 at 9:41 AM, Mapleleafforever said:

Hell to the NO, I will gladly take a full refund for our next cruise though as this stipulation wasn't in place at time of our booking. 

I am nowhere near an anti vaxxer and in fact both our kids as well as my wife and I are fully vaccinated. We never get flu shots though as we prefer to keep ourselves healthy and let our immune systems do what they're supposed to do. 

Vaccines generally take quite some time to develop and our family refuses to be guinea pigs for a rushed vaccine. For those wanting to be first in line for said rushed vaccine you might want to look up what happened in 1976 with the swine flu vaccine. 

Oh, and in case you get the rushed vaccine and god forbid something bad does happen you have no right for any legal recourse against the vaccine maker. 

Your best defense is to do your best to maintain a healthy weight, eat right, and exercise. 

I thought about it,  and would rather die from vaccine, then covid-19

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, cruise77 said:

I don't think you can take a post from last July and apply it to today. I think @Mapleleafforeverhas made it clear that his thinking has evolved over time as has that of many others, including mine. Back in July I could have easily made a similar post.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, xpcdoojk said:

Because... why... because!  This is where we are with Science... these days.  Sigh, freaking sigh... we are so screwed

I share your frustration. But take heart: not everyone in the world thinks that way. 😊

• Like 1

6 hours ago, cruise77 said:

Here's what I wrote in post 2205. 

"My thoughts on this have changed so much since last July. Myself and my family will be getting the vaccine when it's our turn. It has nothing to do with cruising and everything to do with things going back to normal and learning a bit about the vaccines. 

I still maintain that your best defense is to maintain a healthy weight, eat right, and exercise. "

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/21/2020 at 6:13 PM, RETNAVY1996 said:

I voted no because I will wait until we really know the vaccine is safe.  This fast track stuff worries me about other things the cure could cause.   Give it a few years and I will get one, but even then we will not know of any long term issues.  

I feel the same way. This has been rushed.  We have no idea what the long view is on this vaccine.  Sure, it may help with COVID now but what is it going to affect later?   We just need more time to know what will happen.    I worry for these young people who are getting it to stay employed. What if it affects their fertility or affects their babies?    
People have taken many medications that seemed perfectly safe for a long time (Zantac) for one and now it has been yanked off the shelf because of carcinogens.   Who would have ever thought medication for heartburn would be carcinogenic?

I would LOVE to have the right to cruise again.  I really want to see my family more.  My parents have been vaccinated and they want me to be vaccinated before they see me again, but they understand why I am wanting to wait.   Already  known side effects on mammograms and lymph nodes.  Scary stuff. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, legaljen1969 said:

I feel the same way. This has been rushed.  We have no idea what the long view is on this vaccine.  Sure, it may help with COVID now but what is it going to affect later?   We just need more time to know what will happen.    I worry for these young people who are getting it to stay employed. What if it affects their fertility or affects their babies?    
People have taken many medications that seemed perfectly safe for a long time (Zantac) for one and now it has been yanked off the shelf because of carcinogens.   Who would have ever thought medication for heartburn would be carcinogenic?

I would LOVE to have the right to cruise again.  I really want to see my family more.  My parents have been vaccinated and they want me to be vaccinated before they see me again, but they understand why I am wanting to wait.   Already  known side effects on mammograms and lymph nodes.  Scary stuff. 

I am not saying I will NEVER get the vaccine, but for right now. I would rather not cruise and see what happens.   Who knows?  Once my PCM and oncologist says it's definitely safe- I will probably make an appointment.  It's just not for me, RIGHT NOW.  

• Like 2