MSC GRANDIOSA - 8/16/2020 - Anyone Live?

Formula280SS

1 hour ago, oteixeira said:

Interesting....Thank God not in mine...The most we have is "recommendations" that the police can't really enforce, as you would need as many of them as their are people around the area to do it...

Nor ours, thankfully!

• Like 1

Interesting....Thank God not in mine...The most we have is "recommendations" that the police can't really enforce, as you would need as many of them as their are people around the area to do it...
No police to enforce the law, but people are obedient for their own safety
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, drsel said:

Masks should be worn whenever you are out of the house, except when exercising

Is this required where you live.  

In my tri-state area of pa nj and ny we only need to wear a mask outdoors if unable to social distance.  In the average heat of 90 to 100 degrees plus high humidity we have had this summer.  I cannot imagine wearing a mask outside for extended periods of time.

Definitely do not wear at the beach.

In Spain we have to wear a mask outdoors if you are in an urban area, but not in the country side (obviously not your own garden).  As you said Sunshine3601 it is awful with the heat. 

The problem we have here is that people are arriving at bars, restaurants, clubs, etc and taking off their masks as if sitting at the table somehow gives them immunity.  That would be fine if they were only sitting with other members of their households but you could have people from up to 10 households at one table (max 10 persons).  Plus whenever the waitress comes over they are being put at risk. In clubs the youngsters take off their masks as soon as they enter and all go dancing together with no social distancing hence the sudden uptick in infections over here.  The hospital admission rate is now increasing because those youngsters have now taken the infection home to their older relatives.

It really is a nightmare but the economy can't stay closed up forever but if all restrictions are dropped the hospitals would be inundated (again).  I for one will be having a vaccine once it is available so that I can go back to normal life having said that I do not agree with the idea of compulsory vaccinations as some countries have suggested.  I am also glad that the EU would not issue a vaccine that hadn't completed Phase 3 tests unlike some other countries

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, SpainAlien said:

In Spain we have to wear a mask outdoors if you are in an urban area, but not in the country side (obviously not your own garden).  As you said Sunshine3601 it is awful with the heat. 

The problem we have here is that people are arriving at bars, restaurants, clubs, etc and taking off their masks as if sitting at the table somehow gives them immunity.  That would be fine if they were only sitting with other members of their households but you could have people from up to 10 households at one table (max 10 persons).  Plus whenever the waitress comes over they are being put at risk. In clubs the youngsters take off their masks as soon as they enter and all go dancing together with no social distancing hence the sudden uptick in infections over here.  The hospital admission rate is now increasing because those youngsters have now taken the infection home to their older relatives.

It really is a nightmare but the economy can't stay closed up forever but if all restrictions are dropped the hospitals would be inundated (again).  I for one will be having a vaccine once it is available so that I can go back to normal life having said that I do not agree with the idea of compulsory vaccinations as some countries have suggested.  I am also glad that the EU would not issue a vaccine that hadn't completed Phase 3 tests unlike some other countries

We are seeing that here as well.  It seems that "The Party Crowd" is one of the main reasons for the second spike we had in Florida.  The median age of people infected went from the 50's to the 20's.  You know, the people that constantly lecture the older generation on how awful we are.  🙂

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Is this required where you live.  

In my tri-state area of pa nj and ny we only need to wear a mask outdoors if unable to social distance.  In the average heat of 90 to 100 degrees plus high humidity we have had this summer.  I cannot imagine wearing a mask outside for extended periods of time.

Definitely do not wear at the beach.

We regularly visit beaches in Southern Spain and masks are required if you are walking along the beach.  It is hot but it is what it is, you have to wear masks and there are monitors patrolling the beaches to insist that you do so.    If you are going into the water to swim, you do not need a mask.  If you are walking along the shore or if you are standing at the waters edge chatting with your friends, you need a mask.  

In Gibraltar we need to wear masks on public transport, in shops/hairdressers/nail techs.  I work in a healthcare setting, masks are mandatory in all areas.  We are all waiting to find out what will happen in schools.  I hope schools are exempt - my concern is that trying to process speech from behind a mask is so hard and will significantly impact on pupils’ learning.  Clear masks exist but they are not great because they fog up.  

• Like 1

MSC's Strict Screening Processes Are Already Working

August 25, 2020

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/23418-msc-s-strict-screening-processes-are-already-working.html

Paraphrasing ~ During this week 1 to week 2 Grandiosa Genoa turnaround on Sunday, guests underwent testing and a young man tested positive (both antigen test and molecular test), was denied boarding to all 15 passengers who had traveled with him by van to Genoa.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Formula280SS said:

MSC's Strict Screening Processes Are Already Working

August 25, 2020

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/23418-msc-s-strict-screening-processes-are-already-working.html

Paraphrasing ~ During this week 1 to week 2 Grandiosa Genoa turnaround on Sunday, guests underwent testing and a young man tested positive (both antigen test and molecular test), was denied boarding to all 15 passengers who had traveled with him by van to Genoa.

Oh I would hate to be in that young man’s shoes.  Causing 15 others to miss their trip is not great.  

There is perhaps a lot to be said for a voluntary reduction in social activities or unnecessary social contact  in the two weeks prior to  a trip.  That is hard to do if you are young and it is summer though.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ollienbertsmum said:

Oh I would hate to be in that young man’s shoes.  Causing 15 others to miss their trip is not great.  

There is perhaps a lot to be said for a voluntary reduction in social activities or unnecessary social contact  in the two weeks prior to  a trip.  That is hard to do if you are young and it is summer though.  

Get your own ride to the port.  Might cost a little more, but would avoid this.

1 minute ago, ollienbertsmum said:

Ah, I had interpreted it as the young man being in a party of 16.   Sort of even sadder for those who had to miss the cruise.  

Checking again, I may have misread.  Seems if there were other people on the van and they were negative, they would be allowed to board.  May have been one group.

4 minutes ago, KennyFla said:

Checking again, I may have misread.  Seems if there were other people on the van and they were negative, they would be allowed to board.  May have been one group.

They were all exposed to the infected man. It would have been too early for them to test positive, but they could still have gotten it and brought it onboard.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, RoamingRetirees said:

They were all exposed to the infected man. It would have been too early for them to test positive, but they could still have gotten it and brought it onboard.

That could be said of anybody getting on the ship.

• Like 1

That could be said of anybody getting on the ship.
Anyone could get it while travelling to the port by public bus or metro.

at the port, the covid test will show negative, because they have just been infected and it will not show immediately in the test

6 minutes ago, drsel said:

Anyone could get it while travelling to the port by public bus or metro.

at the port, the covid test will show negative, because they have just been infected and it will not show immediately in the test

In this case, they knew those people were exposed to someone who definitely tested positive twice. It was the reasonable thing to do. Yes, anyone could bring it on the ship. However, if that is the criteria, there will be no cruising.

• Like 2

It would have been just a question of time to have this happening... Fortunately, at least those 16 individuals now effectively KNOW what they need to do to make sure they don't spread the virus even more than what it is now!...

Again: Wonderful well done job, MSC!

And again: Many thanks to all of you who are continuing this lovely thread!...

Have a nice day!... 🙂

• Like 3

6 hours ago, SpainAlien said:

In clubs the youngsters take off their masks as soon as they enter and all go dancing together with no social distancing hence the sudden uptick in infections over here. 

5 hours ago, KennyFla said:

We are seeing that here as well.  It seems that "The Party Crowd" is one of the main reasons for the second spike we had in Florida

Yes, Spain and Florida mentioned above and I have seen videos during the last few days which were sent to different members of my family from people they know, partying in bars in Croatia and Mykonos. Spain and Croatia have been put on the quarantine list for the UK in the last couple of weeks and Greece is heading that way. But, hey, as long as the youngsters are having a good time 🙄😡

40 minutes ago, Bobal said:

Yes, Spain and Florida mentioned above and I have seen videos during the last few days which were sent to different members of my family from people they know, partying in bars in Croatia and Mykonos. Spain and Croatia have been put on the quarantine list for the UK in the last couple of weeks and Greece is heading that way. But, hey, as long as the youngsters are having a good time 🙄😡

Yep, the youngsters.  😲

I get a kick out the US colleges and universities, now returning to the campuses in many states, having remote/virtual (in lieu of in the classroom) classes, but allowing the students to return to campuses, dorms and apartments.  Now, although quite a while ago 😀, I do recall that the more "proximate socialization" was not in the classroom, rather in the campus common areas, dorms and apartments.

Go figure on that policy.  🙄

Edited by Formula280SS
  • Haha 1

On 8/20/2020 at 7:53 PM, BermudaBound2014 said:

Sid: Just so you know, here in the USA it's quite the news that face shields are not acceptable. Kids/teachers can't wear them in place of masks while in school. For the hard of hearing, clear plastic masks are being used. MNrocket was probably responding to the USA ruling on face shields. 

Same ruling in Scotland. If a mask is required in any guidance then it is not acceptable to be replaced with a visor.  Any premises doing so can be closed down. (probably temporary but not heard of it happening yet).  As soon as this was put in place all cafes and bars now used masks.