MSC GRANDIOSA - 8/16/2020 - Anyone Live?

38 minutes ago, sidari said:

Earlier I managed to get in touch with a friend from Italy who is onboard the ship and asked about the Masks v Face Shield, her response was "It depends on what job they have" 

7 minutes ago, cruiser man 60 said:

I don't think people commenting on visors v face masks etc particularly from America realize that all the crew have been tested numerous times before boarding and had to quarantine before boarding, they are also constantly checked on board.

7 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Yes I agree there are some jobs where a face shield works fine but imo a food server giving me something I will eat or drink should wear a mask.  Droplets.......

Although I'm trying not to get too "into" the mask versus shield versus mask and shield issue (not even knowing what the quality of each mask and/or shield is for either the crew or the passengers), I like the flow of the above comments.

"depends of what job" is likely well defined in their protocols (the operating manuals, not the press releases) and makes sense.  I would prefer anyone preparing or handling my food or drinks, or even table settings, wear a mask "for my protection."  I'm more open to alternative shields in many, many other crew assignments on the ship; so the comment is well noted.

"particularly from America" is a repetitive theme in some posts, it is what it is.  As the comment continues, agreed as this thread clearly addressed the C-19 protocols to even get on the ship as crew or passengers, the ongoing protocols, the port protocols, etc.  So, MSC has, in essence, followed US professional sports that have "created a bubble" that attempts to provide a safer environment.  So, yes, there appears to be less risk in the bubble re: masks versus shields; yet I'm still for the masks re: food and drinks as stated above.

"food server" (even expanded to other handlers), as per above I agree.

As an aside, there are those, and I would be one, if serving, that wear both a mask (if a quality one, protects others) and a shield (or goggles,  to protect me via my eyes).

Hopefully, we can get more answers with direct contacts as Sidari and the CC Editor's have done in the coming sailings.  👍

She will be departing Valletta in about half an hour.

Interesting to see the passengers departing from the buses earlier.  It looks like there were only 10 or so people on each large bus,  perhaps for distancing purposes.

2 minutes ago, shipgeeks said:

She will be departing Valletta in about half an hour.

Interesting to see the passengers departing from the buses earlier.  It looks like there were only 10 or so people on each large bus,  perhaps for distancing purposes.

That was why they required ship excursions, to ensure social distancing and proper cleaning, PPE, etc.

2 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Please realize a test is only good for that moment.  If msc is testing their crew every day that is great.  Then a food server wearing only a face shield is just fine.  

Yes I am an American and have been disgusted by all those who dont follow simple rules. 

+1

Yeah, I would love to hear that too. What about their luggage in that case?  Because I understand that they were not allowed to get on the ship after returning to port.  The crew had to pack their luggage and bring it out of the ship?
Yes, the cabin steward has to do that and leave it with the contact person in port.
29 minutes ago, drsel said:

I think that MSC is doing as awesome job and being the pioneer in cruise resumption!
Only 100 euros for 3 excursions!
Here is an expert video of this cruise, the MSC Grandiosa--
https://www.youtube.com/embed/S4ps_-uEw8o?feature=oembed

Thanks, very informative and professional.

👍

I would have though the long term break even was more like 60-75% But with the present high cost of standing still, any income you can get that is greater than its immediate direct cost is good because it will at least pay part of those fixed costs. Yes a program should pay for all of its fixed costs but for the short term this will get the monthly loss to go down.

Bill

Royal have said that their break even point on the bigger ships is 30%. I wonder what it is on Grandiosa.
That is what they are saying now, after covid.
in the past until 2019 it used to be a much higher occupancy required to break even.
That is without considering the income received from onboard sales.
On board sales are the biggest source of profit
11 hours ago, ATC cruiser said:

I wonder if MSC operated at a loss for this cruise

They're reportedly spending 500,000 Euro per cruise on COVID measures, so I'd expect so. I imagine that it's just considered an investment for the future, take the initial loss and if things progress smoothly the profitability will return. Many businesses are in the same position.

Let us to see things from another perspective, bearing in mind I'm not a maritime business expert by any means, but I have some sensitivity to general management and risk management alike:

If one notes carefully all of those recently released new itineraries for the cruising restart for both the German and the Italian lines alike, apart perhaps the MSC Magnifica ones, they are itineraries with far shorter distances to run. Shorter distances possibly done at lower speeds, translates to lower fuel costs. As far as I can understand, fuel might to be the largest fixed cost of any cruise, apart and surpassing in many castes the crew salaries and the ships renting...

With a reduced crew per ship and shorter distances to run per day, I believe those passenger numbers they're publishing might to mean that, at least, they might to reach something near a break-even!... But, even if not, as someone have said, it can be seen as an investment, and a good one at this time!... And some business will ever be far better than no one at all!...

Have a nice day!...

Massive kudos for MSC.  Providing a reasonable cruise experience with that innovative excursion approach ( far preferable to the stay on the ship approach taken by TUI) and being strict with their protocols.  

Great marketing for them - I'm sure there are many considering MSC now, that wouldn't have done so before. 

12 hours ago, FionaMG said:

Royal have said that their break even point on the bigger ships is 30%. I wonder what it is on Grandiosa.

In a prior conference call they said that was break even based on EBITDA - very different from being break even from a profit standpoint.    Here's a thread on cruise line costs and revenue streams.

27 minutes ago, mnocket said:

In a prior conference call they said that was break even based on EBITDA - very different from being break even from a profit standpoint.    Here's a thread on cruise line costs and revenue streams.

I had seen this before and was curious as to where the daily gratuities would be in the revenue stream? An accountants out there? On board spending?