1st Mediterranean Cruise in 5 months - MSC Grandiosa

MSC CEO, Rick Sasso speaks on the Grandiosa first sailing of the restart.  He touches upon the family that got booted for leaving the ship sponsor excursion.  He also talks about the Italian restrictions for people coming from Greece and the delay of Magnifica as well as the travel industry in general.  He is interviewed by a Canadian travel expert. 

I am wondering if the rule to take ship sponsored excursions only will apply to RCI when it begins to cruise in Europe again?  I can see the wisdom in this as they can assure a controlled environment, especially in these early stages, but would be disappointed as we are huge fans of independent excursions.  As a matter of fact we are currently booked on a B2B Greek Island/TA on the Odyssey in October 2021 and we have already booked independent excursions in all ports.  I have organized three of them with quite a few people on our Roll Call participating with reliable operators and would hate to have to cancel them.  But, if that is what we have to do to keep everyone safe, we will.  

BTW, I am a Respiratory Therapist in Arizona and have been in the thick of the front lines for months now and understand how dangerous this virus is to everyone.  We have a 20% ICU survival rate.   I will support any efforts to prevent the spread.  I wear a mask 12+ hours a day and am in an N-95 for 2-3 hours at a time (a surgical when not in direct patient contact).  I am 67 years old and a cancer survivor, and many of my co-workers are asthmatics, etc.  We do it because we are willing to do it to protect ourselves and others.  If we can do it, so can everyone else.  If you absolutely cannot do it for any reason you should not go out in public.  Period.  Off my soapbox now.  

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, TheMastodon said:

I am shocked these cruises have been such a success.

Would be curious to see pax get the saliva test disembarking tho....

I had been closely following the posts on msc and watched their videos and read their protocols and didnt hear anything about them testing passengers as they disembark.  

On 8/29/2020 at 8:21 PM, Sunny AZ Girl said:

I am wondering if the rule to take ship sponsored excursions only will apply to RCI when it begins to cruise in Europe again?  I can see the wisdom in this as they can assure a controlled environment, especially in these early stages, but would be disappointed as we are huge fans of independent excursions.  As a matter of fact we are currently booked on a B2B Greek Island/TA on the Odyssey in October 2021 and we have already booked independent excursions in all ports.  I have organized three of them with quite a few people on our Roll Call participating with reliable operators and would hate to have to cancel them.  But, if that is what we have to do to keep everyone safe, we will.  

BTW, I am a Respiratory Therapist in Arizona and have been in the thick of the front lines for months now and understand how dangerous this virus is to everyone.  We have a 20% ICU survival rate.   I will support any efforts to prevent the spread.  I wear a mask 12+ hours a day and am in an N-95 for 2-3 hours at a time (a surgical when not in direct patient contact).  I am 67 years old and a cancer survivor, and many of my co-workers are asthmatics, etc.  We do it because we are willing to do it to protect ourselves and others.  If we can do it, so can everyone else.  If you absolutely cannot do it for any reason you should not go out in public.  Period.  Off my soapbox now.  

I suspect cruising will be somewhat normal by fall 2021 but we decided not to book any private tours for any of our sailings till we know for sure.  Just make sure read private tour guides cancellation and refund policies before you give them any money. 

Thank you for all your hard work and care you are giving to your patients.

• Like 2

On 9/5/2020 at 10:53 AM, little britain said:

Grandiosa complies her 3rd cruise tomorrow.

All going well so far 👏💫

I dont get it, is it operating? Meaning, I can purchase a ticket and enjoy the cruise? I heard there will be no cruising till the end of the years except the river cruises.. In any case, I am glad and I am happy to hear some good news coming from a cruise business line. Hope its passengers will have a good time on board

44 minutes ago, Roger88 said:

I dont get it, is it operating? Meaning, I can purchase a ticket and enjoy the cruise? I heard there will be no cruising till the end of the years except the river cruises.. In any case, I am glad and I am happy to hear some good news coming from a cruise business line. Hope its passengers will have a good time on board

Yes she’s sailing at 70% capacity, with guests from Schengen countries only, visiting Italian ports and Malta.  

1 hour ago, Biker19 said:

I don't know if the list of ships sailing in this article is all-inclusive, but pretty sure the quoted capacity limits are not accurate, yet: https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/23461-here-are-the-cruise-ships-back-in-service.html

Didn’t realise Ponant were sailing too! Good article!  

It's tough to restart cruises:

MSC Magnifica's restart is delayed to Oct. 19, and the ship will sail longer (10-night) cruises to both the Western and Eastern Mediterranean, instead of just to the Eastern Med.

Previously, MSC Magnifica's Aug. 29 restart was delayed to Sept. 26 on weaker demand for Greece due to additional testing measures required for Italians who travel there.

With this latest change, four seven-night cruises from Bari, Italy, Sept. 26 to Oct. 24 were canceled.  

Embarking at Genoa, Civitavecchia, Messina

MSC Magnifica’s new itinerary from Genoa has calls at Livorno, Messina (Sicily), Valletta (Malta), Piraeus and Katakolon in Greece and Civitavecchia (Rome).

The longer sailing is expected to appeal to travelers flying from Schengen countries because of good pan-European air links to both Rome and Genoa which are, together with Messina, embarkation ports.

Following MSC Magnifica's new 10-night program, in 2021 the ship is scheduled to embark on its second consecutive annual world cruise.

Follows MSC Grandiosa restart

MSC Magnifica follows MSC Grandiosa's return to service in August with weekly cruises in the Western Mediterranean with embarkation at Genoa, Civitavecchia, Naples and Palermo, and a call at Valletta.

MSC Cruises said feedback from the thousands of passengers who've sailed has been 'extremely positive.'

MSC Grandiosa's current program been extended through year's end, including the ship's Christmas cruise from Genoa on Dec. 20.

On 8/16/2020 at 5:41 PM, suzyluvs2cruise said:

MSC Grandiosa sets sail in the Mediterranean

Ship is sailing at 70% capacity...will stop at 3 Italian ports....and all crew and guests have been tested for COVID-19. 

Let's hope this cruise goes well. 

An interesting question. So, if a guest tests POSITIVE prior to boarding a cruise (and I am assuming MSC initiated such a test), would the guest get a full refund?

4 hours ago, johnjen said:

An interesting question. So, if a guest tests POSITIVE prior to boarding a cruise (and I am assuming MSC initiated such a test), would the guest get a full refund?

I want to know what happens when someone tests positive on board !  What lengths will MSC go to contract trace, quarantine, and the disembark process.  

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, TheMastodon said:

I want to know what happens when someone tests positive on board !  What lengths will MSC go to contract trace, quarantine, and the disembark process.  

I'd be willing to bet that they take all of those things pretty seriously. Everyone who boards is given a band to wear that will allow them to contact trace if needed.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, erinsmom03 said:

I'd be willing to bet that they take all of those things pretty seriously. Everyone who boards is given a band to wear that will allow them to contact trace if needed.

MSC is taking things very seriously,  They have already changed itineraries because Spain has become a hot spot.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, crazyank said:

MSC is taking things very seriously,  They have already changed itineraries because Spain has become a hot spot.

We are all rooting for MSC, their success in sailing only helps the rest of the cruise industry to be able to return to cruising. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, TheMastodon said:

from everything I read on their protocols and heard on their forum, if a passenger tests positive they have designated rooms set up where that passenger and their traveling partner(s) will move to for the quarantine for the remainder of the cruise.    they have a special medical area set up should they need medical treatment.    And the Wow bracelets are being used for contact tracing.   For anyone that had close contact with that person they will be tested and also moved to the "special designated" cabins for quarantine.     so far since cruising restarted end of July, none of the ships have had any issues with covid on their ships. 

that may change now that alot of the schegen countries are having spikes in covid, probably like the US is having now that some schools re-opened. 

I also read that the information from the contact tracing/bracelets will be retained for up to 30 days.    So should someone get off the ship and find out days later they are positive they are suppose to advise the cruise line and the cruise line will reach out to everyone that shows up having had contact with that passenger.    Again, I have not heard of this happening, yet. 

On 9/18/2020 at 10:28 AM, johnjen said:

Yes their website/protocols state that anyone that is denied boarding at the terminal due to a positive test result will be issued a full refund for the cruise.   they will Not refund that person any other type of travel (such as bus, train, plane, hotel, etc). 

Now, if a passenger is denied boarding at a port (such as that family that did not follow rules while on an excursion) they will Not issue a refund.

Edited by Sunshine3601

4 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

from everything I read on their protocols and heard on their forum, if a passenger tests positive they have designated rooms set up where that passenger and their traveling partner(s) will move to for the quarantine for the remainder of the cruise.    they have a special medical area set up should they need medical treatment.    And the Wow bracelets are being used for contact tracing.   For anyone that had close contact with that person they will be tested and also moved to the "special designated" cabins for quarantine.     so far since cruising restarted end of July, none of the ships have had any issues with covid on their ships. 

that may change now that alot of the schegen countries are having spikes in covid, probably like the US is having now that some schools re-opened. 

I also read that the information from the contact tracing/bracelets will be retained for up to 30 days.    So should someone get off the ship and find out days later they are positive they are suppose to advise the cruise line and the cruise line will reach out to everyone that shows up having had contact with that passenger.    Again, I have not heard of this happening, yet. 

Brilliant 

4 minutes ago, TheMastodon said:

Brilliant 

Yes, MSC seems to have a very good system in place and will most likely be followed by many other cruise lines, probably with some tweeking here and there.     the fact their cruises are for 7 days - it is doubtful they would have any breakouts happen that quick.      They are Not allowing any B2b cruises for now.    Last I heard crew is not permitted to leave the ship so they stay within their "bubble" and no back and forth of entertainers getting on and off to switch ships etc.