Elderly Couple Feels Disrespected by NCL

Oklahoma Girl

In February I scheduled a cruise for my husband and me and our son’s family.  It was on the Norwegian Jade leaving July 22, 2020 from Barcelona to Athens.  Being the eternal optimist and looking so forward to the trip, I paid the remainder in May.  The cruise was canceled and I received a letter stating that I could request a refund from June 8 to a date I don’t remember.  On June 8 between 8 and 9 am CST, I used the link I was given and requested a refund for myself on my reservation number and then requested one for my son on his reservation number.  My travel agent called about 10 am to remind me that it was the day to request my refund.  I told him that I had already done it.  I was not given any instructions about what to expect as an acknowledgement.  I received nothing on either one.  It made me a little uneasy.  I was told that it could take 90 days to get the refund.  On August 5, I got my son’s refund.  Trying to be polite and patient, I didn’t do anything, thinking mine would come.  I called my travel agent after about two weeks and told him I hated to trouble him, but I had not received my refund and my son had.  He said that according to his notes I had requested it in June 8.  I told him that was correct.  He said that he would call NCL.   I also had the email correspondence that I had exchanged with my son on June 8 saying that indeed I had requested the refunds for both of us.  My travel agent called me within a few minutes and said that NCL said they had no record of my request.  Again I assured him that I had done as instructed.  He said that he would call NCL again.  He called me right back and said they told him that I had missed the date to request a refund and had no recourse except cruise credit.  He gave me the link to contact NCL’s guest relations for a case submission.  I used it.  Was denied the next morning.  I called NCL and was told Customer Relations could do nothing for me, but they gave me the number for their Corporate office.  I called and talked to Jennifer and told her my story.  I told her that my husband is 76 years old, diabetic, has had a heart attack, is in declining health, and doesn’t want to travel anywhere until this pandemic has ended.  She told me that there was no recourse for me except to accept the cruise credit, schedule my next cruise by May 18, 2021 and cruise by December 31, 2022.  I know the cruise line is struggling with their situation and I only asked that they be reasonable with me.  Everyone I talked with gave me the impression that they felt like they were talking to an elderly female who probably messed up her computer input.  They all offered possible scenarios of what I might have done wrong.  I suggested that possibly their computer system was overburdened and somehow my input on my reservation didn’t process.  I FELT THAT NCL FAILED TO TAKE INTO CONSIDERATION THAT I HAD 2 THINGS THAT SHOWED TO MY KNOWLEDGE I HAD DONE WHAT I NEEDED TO DO TO RECEIVE MY REFUND AND I WAS WAITING PATIENTLY AND POLITELY TO GET IT.  THEY IGNORED MY HUSBAND’S HEALTH.  I FELT DISRESPECTED.  THIS WOULD HAVE BEEN OUR 14TH CRUISE AND I HAVE NOT COMPLAINED ABOUT OTHER CRUISES OR CRUISE LINES.  VERY DISAPPOINTED.

It sounds like they have not treated you well.  There are certainly places in their system where something could have gone wrong.  I hope they can help you.

But if they don't, remember that at least your FCC for the trip can be transferred to another passenger so the points won't go to waste, maybe give them to your kids or sell to a friend who can use them.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Oklahoma Girl said:

In February I scheduled a cruise for my husband and me and our son’s family.  It was on the Norwegian Jade leaving July 22, 2020 from Barcelona to Athens.  Being the eternal optimist and looking so forward to the trip, I paid the remainder in May.  The cruise was canceled and I received a letter stating that I could request a refund from June 8 to a date I don’t remember.  On June 8 between 8 and 9 am CST, I used the link I was given and requested a refund for myself on my reservation number and then requested one for my son on his reservation number.  My travel agent called about 10 am to remind me that it was the day to request my refund.  I told him that I had already done it.  I was not given any instructions about what to expect as an acknowledgement.  I received nothing on either one.  It made me a little uneasy.  I was told that it could take 90 days to get the refund.  On August 5, I got my son’s refund.  Trying to be polite and patient, I didn’t do anything, thinking mine would come.  I called my travel agent after about two weeks and told him I hated to trouble him, but I had not received my refund and my son had.  He said that according to his notes I had requested it in June 8.  I told him that was correct.  He said that he would call NCL.   I also had the email correspondence that I had exchanged with my son on June 8 saying that indeed I had requested the refunds for both of us.  My travel agent called me within a few minutes and said that NCL said they had no record of my request.  Again I assured him that I had done as instructed.  He said that he would call NCL again.  He called me right back and said they told him that I had missed the date to request a refund and had no recourse except cruise credit.  He gave me the link to contact NCL’s guest relations for a case submission.  I used it.  Was denied the next morning.  I called NCL and was told Customer Relations could do nothing for me, but they gave me the number for their Corporate office.  I called and talked to Jennifer and told her my story.  I told her that my husband is 76 years old, diabetic, has had a heart attack, is in declining health, and doesn’t want to travel anywhere until this pandemic has ended.  She told me that there was no recourse for me except to accept the cruise credit, schedule my next cruise by May 18, 2021 and cruise by December 31, 2022.  I know the cruise line is struggling with their situation and I only asked that they be reasonable with me.  Everyone I talked with gave me the impression that they felt like they were talking to an elderly female who probably messed up her computer input.  They all offered possible scenarios of what I might have done wrong.  I suggested that possibly their computer system was overburdened and somehow my input on my reservation didn’t process.  I FELT THAT NCL FAILED TO TAKE INTO CONSIDERATION THAT I HAD 2 THINGS THAT SHOWED TO MY KNOWLEDGE I HAD DONE WHAT I NEEDED TO DO TO RECEIVE MY REFUND AND I WAS WAITING PATIENTLY AND POLITELY TO GET IT.  THEY IGNORED MY HUSBAND’S HEALTH.  I FELT DISRESPECTED.  THIS WOULD HAVE BEEN OUR 14TH CRUISE AND I HAVE NOT COMPLAINED ABOUT OTHER CRUISES OR CRUISE LINES.  VERY DISAPPOINTED.

Dispute it with you credit card. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Oklahoma Girl said:

June 8 between 8 and 9 am CST, I used the link I was given and

12 minutes ago, Oklahoma Girl said:

I also had the email correspondence that I had exchanged with my son on June 8 saying that indeed I had requested the refunds for both of us.

Was there any receipt or acknowledgement from NCL when you used the link to request your refund? Just having the email you exchanged with your son may not have been enough to prove that you indeed request a refund from NCL within the specified window of time.

• Like 1

Sorry but using age and health to support your claim means nothing.  It has NOTHING to do with the process.  

Did you get a confirmation of your refund request from NCL?     If not,   then you have no proof you submitted it correctly-  despite you claiming you did.   

Is your son ever going to cruise again?  Anyone else you know?    Your FCC can be transferred one time.    

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Budget Queen said:

Sorry but using age and health to support your claim means nothing.  It has NOTHING to do with the process.  

Did you get a confirmation of your refund request from NCL?     If not,   then you have no proof you submitted it correctly-  despite you claiming you did.   

Is your son ever going to cruise again?  Anyone else you know?    Your FCC can be transferred one time.    

Blame the victim gets boring. 

to the OP - dispute it with your credit card. 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

OP's only recourse at this time is to get her credit card company involved. Wherever the error lies (with OP or with NCL) at this point NCL is not going to do anything about it. OP might also contact her state attorney general to see if they can do anything for her.

• Like 1

I am sorry to hear about your plight but, by the same token, whenever you use a travel agent, never contact the cruise line directly; all communication with the cruise line should be made through your travel agent. Otherwise there is no reason to use a travel agent. It is their job to take care of all communications with the cruise line.

• Like 6

As others have advised, instigate a dispute with your credit card provider without delay. Two things for me:

Firstly, when the cc provider examines your case....despite lack of evidence that you asked for a refund, on a balance of probability you did, i.e. why would you ask for your sons' and not your own. Their systems were clearly overloaded, and they were making it as difficult as possible for a refund to be initiated.

Secondly, the default position ought to be a refund and if a FCC is desired then it ought to be requested! Not the other way round, 'for your (sorry, their) convenience'.

My very best wishes for a favourable and swift cc refund, and for reasonable health during this dreadful pandemic.

• Like 4

At this point it could be time to call in the Media to show off NCL in not so good lime light !

Read or reference this LINK:

https://www.elliott.org/about-elliott-consumer-advocacy/

In the newspapers there are situations just like yours that are resolved.

Try once again to reason with Corporate in Miami (emails and addresses in Elliott site)

Keep track of emails and correspondence

File an appeal

All that failing let Elliott do some PR work - this will not be quick and overnight though

Company rules policies are generally set aside in favor of better public relations.

Good Luck - - -

1 hour ago, Two Wheels Only said:

In addition to printing, save a copy as a pdf.

This.  I seem to recall quite a few people reporting that there was no confirmation email sent when the cash refund request was submitted.  This is absolutely an oversight on NCL's part (that no confirmation was sent), and was probably not one that was done by mistake so that in the case of the OP the customer can't hold it over NCL's head that they actually DID submit the request (using the email as proof).

Unfortunately, it's a 'me vs. them' and NCL reps seem to implicitly trust the info in the system over what customers are claiming actually happened.  In that case, as others suggested, either a dispute through the credit card or a transfer of the FCC is in order.

• Like 1

I had my TA file for my refund, and kept a record of our conversations via email (and any conversations we had by phone I memorialized in email immediately following). However, when I asked her for a copy of the confirmation from NCL she advised there was none - she got no email or anything else, just the confirmation of submission screen after she filed.

NCL failed, and failed badly on this. I also filed a charge back after it took entirely too long to refund, and my credit card company (AMEX) refunded and finalized in my favor pretty quickly.

File a dispute along with a copy of the contract showing you are owed a refund. The BS that the default is a future cruise credit is just that. You paid for a service for a date certain. They failed to provide what you paid for or a reasonable substitute. You should get your money back.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, hamrag said:

Secondly, the default position ought to be a refund and if a FCC is desired then it ought to be requested! Not the other way round, 'for your (sorry, their) convenience'.

This, the refund should be automatic and if you want the FCC you should have to opt in, not the other way around.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, beerman2 said:

TA to initiate the refund. 

38 minutes ago, electro said:

This, the refund should be automatic and if you want the FCC you should have to opt in, not the other way around.

I had an email from my TA telling me exactly what to do to file with NCL and that it was not necessary to contact them.  I did as they said.  Kind of wish I had asked the TA to do it.

Edited by Oklahoma Girl
Change sentence to make it clearer.

7 hours ago, beerman2 said:

First of all Good Luck , hope you get it resolved in your favor not the cruise lines.

My question is why didn't you use your TA to cancel?  

I had an email from the TA telling me exactly how to file with NCL and that it was not necessary to contact them.  I did exactly as they said.

7 hours ago, beerman2 said:

First of all Good Luck , hope you get it resolved in your favor not the cruise lines.

My question is why didn't you use your TA to cancel?  

11 hours ago, jotjot said:

Sorry about your situation , but I am not surprise did you get a 25% credit. 

Yes, they gave us the extra 25%.  I just would prefer to have my refund.

25 minutes ago, Oklahoma Girl said:

I had an email from the TA telling me exactly how to file with NCL and that it was not necessary to contact them.  I did exactly as they said.

Sounds like you did nothing wrong.  I agree with others that your best bet is to do a charge back to your credit card asap.  Sorry this happened to you.  Persistence is key, but do not waste any more of your time trying to get your money back from NCL.  My personal experience has been that they never budge on any policy that benefits them even in cases where it would cost them nothing.  Ignore the usual cheerleaders.

• Like 3