How long can we go with no COVID or snarky comments?

cl.klink

41 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Actually, in June 2019 RCG changed the benefits to more coincide with what you get when cruising on either a Carnival or Norwegian-owned cruise line. Prior to that I believe you only got the benefits if you're booking didn't have any promotions attached to it. But, maybe someone else who had RCG SHBs back then might be able to shed more light on the previous perks, which weren't many.

Thanks for the info.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Actually, in June 2019 RCG changed the benefits to more coincide with what you get when cruising on either a Carnival or Norwegian-owned cruise line. Prior to that I believe you only got the benefits if you're booking didn't have any promotions attached to it. But, maybe someone else who had RCG SHBs back then might be able to shed more light on the previous perks, which weren't many.

Wow!  Thanks for the information!  I declined to buy the stock because they would not give the discount unless you had essentially paid full price.  It is good to know that they have changed the rules, since I have 2 Celebrity cruises in the next two years (fingers crossed!)  Wish I had know about this when the price was really low!

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Hearthosesteeldrumsplayin said:

Wow!  Thanks for the information!  I declined to buy the stock because they would not give the discount unless you had essentially paid full price.  It is good to know that they have changed the rules, since I have 2 Celebrity cruises in the next two years (fingers crossed!)  Wish I had know about this when the price was really low!

When it got down to $30 a share, we jumped on it. I know it’s back up around $60 a share, but it’s probably still a good deal if you plan on regularly cruising on any of RCG’s ships. What’s also nice is you can submit the SHB request online or via email. 

3 hours ago, downsmead said:

I would suggest a topic on alternative uses for Sushi on 5! I feel it is a very underused venue and could offer more! 
Apologies for the ‘critical’ start but looking for positive suggestions 😂

Agree! I suppose it would have to be another specialty restnt.  

5 hours ago, TeeRick said:

Joel,

There are a few things that generally in normal times get people going here.  Let's recap:

-Smoking, smoking on balconies, smoking areas

-Loud music

-Infinite Verandas

-Taking "perks" away.

-Oh those horrible suite passengers taking away prime ship space

-Oh those horrible suite passengers daring to dine in Blu

-Food in the MDR is inedible

-The Eden show on E-Class

-E-Class vs S-Class vs M-Class

-Kelly Hoppen and Hoppenization of Celebrity ships

-Footstools or lack thereof

-Gratuities

-Price of drink packages and specialty restaurants, price of WiFi

-Chair Hogs

-Art Auctions

-Scooters

-Cleanliness of the buffet

-Lisa Lutoff-Perlo (LLP)

-Saint Captain Kate

Of course people can come up with others I'm sure.  But none of these things seem as important to us right now as before when we were free to plan, book and take cruises.😀

@TeeRick - It can't be forgotten how many threads have been had on dressing for cruises / the MDR and whether or not shorts can be worn (where and when). 😆

• Like 2

It's kind of funny because there are people on this board who normally cruise more in a year than we have in our lifetime! I've got 12 in my signature, plus one over 25 years ago! We started on HAL, moved to RC when we decided we were more active than the HAL crowd, and went to X when the rotator cuff said no Flowrider for you, and we thought we'd enjoy X. And we did. Only two cruises so far; we had an April cruise on Edge that we moved to a 2022 cruise on Equinox largely for health reasons.

That puts us in the group that really enjoys the X product as a reasonable luxury (Renaissance, not Ritz) alternative, and appreciate the various perks offered if you're willing and able to go to even a Sky Suite (perks that didn't exist in a Junior Suite on RC). And both of us, frankly (flame retardant suit on) appreciate not needing formal attire in the Caribbean on X.

We're looking forward to the 2020 cruise. It's far enough out I haven't even looked at it recently, but it's a 10 or 12 day Southern Caribbean out of Port Everglades, and if all goes well will mark actual retirement, or at least retirement to some minimum spending money level of employment. Looking forward to that...

So looking forward to the Apex, was Jan. 2021 now bumped to later 2021. Mostly moved to avoid the paid in full date and keep our money under our control until we know the sailings are taking place. Edge was incredible and we fixed the no forward facing view for non suite guests by booking a forward facing oceanview on the Apex. Looking forward to the Connie unrevolutionized to get a taste of Celebrity prerevolution. We loved the decor and room setup on the Edge, will be interesting to see the old style decor.

22 hours ago, TeeRick said:

Joel,

There are a few things that generally in normal times get people going here.  Let's recap:

-Loud music

-Infinite Verandas

-Taking "perks" away.

-Gratuities

-Chair Hogs

-Art Auctions

-Scooters

-Lisa Lutoff-Perlo (LLP)

-Saint Captain Kate

Of course people can come up with others I'm sure.  But none of these things seem as important to us right now as before when we were free to plan, book and take cruises.😀

Good grief, I must be missing cruising as I’d even consider booking an infinite balcony 😱 if we’d got to the stage of safe sailing 🤭.

Edited by villauk
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, villauk said:

Good grief, I must be missing cruising as I’d even consider booking an infinite balcony 😱 if we’d got to the stage of safe sailing 🤭.

Definitely book some type of balcony in case you get quarantined in cabin.  Even an infinite one!  Oh sorry- did I make a snarky comment?

Edited by TeeRick
  • Haha 3

On 8/24/2020 at 8:15 AM, TeeRick said:

Joel,

-Loud music

-Infinite Verandas

-Taking "perks" away.

-Gratuities

-Chair Hogs

-Art Auctions

-Scooters

-Lisa Lutoff-Perlo (LLP)

-Saint Captain Kate

I read this through and had to stop myself from adding my two cents to a few of the topics.🙂  You forgot to include the Sue Denning - best CD ever or like fingernails on a blackboard

On 8/23/2020 at 10:42 PM, cl.klink said:

I browse here to think about cruises and the Celebrity product.  I am sorry, but I find myself reading thread after thread here that sooner or later engorge themselves on one of the two above themes.  It's become the dominant activity on this website.  I suppose there's a place for some such discourse, but I get bombarded with enough of it every day elsewhere. 

Totally understand the frustration of recurring topics, particularly those whose talking points revolve around a negative theme. But, it is difficult to extricate ourselves from a web of entanglement that has diminished our movements and abated our plans, seeping into every aperture of our lives. An encouraging word is welcome, inviting entry in to a more cheerful place. No doubt, that sounds good. With discipline, and a bit of creative writing, there we shall go.   

• Haha 1

On 8/24/2020 at 9:43 AM, sanger727 said:

Covid

Really though, the thread was doomed from the start since the OP mentioned covid....

But the OP said how many REPLIES could be submitted...so the answer was “one” since the second reply mentioned covid related material.

Mostly, you've taken the baton and run with it.

I get this is cruise "critic."  But I've felt that, here, that mean more something like being "evaluative" than finding the negative.  It's too easy to just say "this is bad."  And it drags us all down.  In the last 5 months, there's been a lot to do that anyway, and dwelling on it almost voyeuristically, even if some of it is true, feels like negative for the sake of being negative.  I think that's dangerous.  Being negative, after a while, becomes easy, and feels comfortable.  Like old leather.  It is sometimes harder to be constructive, contemplative, find the positive spin.  

But, it's better.

- Joel

22 hours ago, TomBeckCruise said:

So, I won't say anything about why we left X after about 20 cruises.

Still, some of the nicest fellow cruisers we have met were on X. Some of the best employees too.

Since you're still following the Celebrity board, why don't you come back and give Celebrity another try?  The nicest cruisers are still here.  I'll buy you a beer by the pool.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ipeeinthepool said:

Since you're still following the Celebrity board, why don't you come back and give Celebrity another try?  The nicest cruisers are still here.  I'll buy you a beer by the pool.

Ha, as long as you don't peeinthebeer.

Actually I'm  in the group of people who will likely not survive covid so I would have to see some real reductions in the number of passengers on the ship and enforcement of mask requirements. 

It will most likely be at least fall of 21 before we sail again. We'll keep an open mind.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, TomBeckCruise said:

Ha, as long as you don't peeinthebeer.

Actually I'm  in the group of people who will likely not survive covid so I would have to see some real reductions in the number of passengers on the ship and enforcement of mask requirements. 

It will most likely be at least fall of 21 before we sail again. We'll keep an open mind.

Good to hear, hopefully we'll see you next Fall.  We'll make sure your beer comes in a bottle.  😉

On 8/24/2020 at 6:52 AM, downsmead said:

I would suggest a topic on alternative uses for Sushi on 5! I feel it is a very underused venue and could offer more! 
Apologies for the ‘critical’ start but looking for positive suggestions 😂

I never understood "sushi" restaurants on cruise ships.  Why serve something that takes skill in properly preparing, especially in constantly sourcing good fish, where freshness is an issue, and where the cost of the ingredients is pretty high.

I think now more people are ready for proper authentic ethnic food, or for some real new american food that is actually seasoned.  No more "pan asian" borderline culturally insensitive junk.

6 hours ago, UnorigionalName said:

I never understood "sushi" restaurants on cruise ships.  Why serve something that takes skill in properly preparing, especially in constantly sourcing good fish, where freshness is an issue, and where the cost of the ingredients is pretty high.

I think now more people are ready for proper authentic ethnic food, or for some real new american food that is actually seasoned.  No more "pan asian" borderline culturally insensitive junk.

Couldn't agree more. When was the last you had a decent fiery curry, or properly seasoned gumbo, or a decent satay? I had the occasion on one cruise when a Malaysian dish did not meet my expectations and I, politely, mentioned this to the waiter. To his credit we went and spoke to the chef and returned with a sambal sauce which made all the difference. Some foods seem to end up dumbed down to the lowest common denominator.