Maasdam New Name

tragicdesign

Just like the Veendam, the Maasdam now has a new Greek name.

Translated: 
Maasdam after 5 days located in the port of Piraeus, started broadcasting under its new name. Aegean Myth will now be named while there is still no official announcement from the ship-owning company whether it will manage it itself or whether it will be chartered with its little brother, Aegean Majesty (ex Veendam) or separately.

https://arxipelagos.gr/aegean-myth-%cf%84%ce%bf-%ce%bd%ce%ad%ce%bf-%cf%8c%ce%bd%ce%bf%ce%bc%ce%b1-%cf%84%ce%bf%cf%85-maasdam/?fbclid=IwAR1quYoDZxY6CiPSlcxF6j35CNaFGryjzEiv-QYF2kKZ6ywZbkKCPsYdJ1Y

Also on Instagram, crew member ckoonstra has posted some pictures of Maasdam's last days as Maasdam. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, tragicdesign said:

Translated: 
Maasdam after 5 days located in the port of Piraeus, started broadcasting under its new name. Aegean Myth will now be named while there is still no official announcement from the ship-owning company whether it will manage it itself or whether it will be chartered with its little brother, Aegean Majesty (ex Veendam) or separately.

https://arxipelagos.gr/aegean-myth-%cf%84%ce%bf-%ce%bd%ce%ad%ce%bf-%cf%8c%ce%bd%ce%bf%ce%bc%ce%b1-%cf%84%ce%bf%cf%85-maasdam/?fbclid=IwAR1quYoDZxY6CiPSlcxF6j35CNaFGryjzEiv-QYF2kKZ6ywZbkKCPsYdJ1Y

Also on Instagram, crew member ckoonstra has posted some pictures of Maasdam's last days as Maasdam. 

Nice article.... but it was all Greek to me.....lol. But seriously, I will miss both ships.

Edited by crusinbanjo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, tragicdesign said:

Translated: 

Thanks for the info on her name change! Chris is/was her purser

I will miss this ship

538951_10150848708135729_203150213_n.jpg?_nc_cat=104&_nc_sid=cdbe9c&_nc_ohc=kmvtxTNzMFIAX_hEfKR&_nc_ht=scontent-lax3-1.xx&oh=b4f5a059d46c26bead4b47cafb2f50e9&oe=5F6E829F

• Like 7

1 hour ago, KirkNC said:

When we sailed her last fall there was lots of deferred maintenance, sad to see.  Hopefully she will get a nice up-fit from her new owners.

My best memory of her was meeting you guys!

Seriously, we enjoyed the ports and afterwards the days we spent in Montreal. We did, however, find the ship somewhat boring. DW especially wanted more opportunities to dance and for there to be dance lessons. 

• Like 2

Fall, 2010:  the Maasdam's re-positioning cruise from Montreal to Fort Lauderdale.  Interesting ports, delicious P.E.I Mussels, fair weather, and found myself sailing with a couple with whom I had sailed before.  (Neither of us knew we would be aboard.  We again met in a packed elevator as we were going to our staterooms for the first time.  Our fellow elevator guests must have thought we were "NUTS!" when we recognized each other.)  Great cruise; good memories!

1 hour ago, Cruizer Bill said:

DW and I would REALLY like to fly to Greece and ride on the Maasdam again!  Is anyone else planning on doing this?  If so, who do we contact for details?

Thanks much!

No, I wouldn't consider such a flight just to cruise on her once again.  My experiences on her will remain part of my memories.  The page has been turned.  Time to "move on" as best as one can.

1 minute ago, rkacruiser said:

No, I wouldn't consider such a flight just to cruise on her once again.  My experiences on her will remain part of my memories.  The page has been turned.  Time to "move on" as best as one can.

Agreed.  Maasdam from Ft Lauderdale to Montreal twice and the Voyage of the Vikings once will be my memories of this ship with a wonderful crew.  

• Like 3

While it can be interesting to revisit a favorite ship under new ownership to check out the changes in decor, etc.,

I recall being greatly saddened overall sailing Oceanic and Atlantic with Premier Cruises after having cruised both previously with Home Lines.

I don't know how much any of the four recently sold HAL ships will be "downgraded", possibly the two with Fred. Olsen may even be considered to be upgraded in some circles, but I would go prepared for some disappointing nostalgia.

Sad to see.  My family and I disembarked Maasdam in Auckland March 1, 2020 after sailing 14 days on her.  Overall, a fantastic ship and crew.  Yes, she's a little worn and dated to some extent, but we found ways to overlook the shortcomings and have a wonderful experience.  We met some neat people and I thought of them often as Maasdam left Auckland on what was her last voyage to San Diego.  I even caught a glimpse of her in Honolulu as she provisioned, at the height of the COVID panic.  She served HAL and all the guests well.  Carry on in those epic Greek waters.  Carry on.  

Edited by akke29
  • Like 5

We were last on Maasdam  in summer 2019 from June 18 to July 8 for a wonderful 3 weeks cruise from San Francisco up to and all around Alaska.  It was a fabulous itinerary that we booked only a few weeks prior to that cruise!   Orig I wanted us to do it in 2020, but it was never listed for 2020.   Very thankful we grabbed a spot on that cruise!    And met some wonderful new friends through our roll call and on board!!  

• Like 4

Our "last cruise" was Feb 5-19, 2020 on the Veendam, 2 week B2B.  We went with good friends we had met on Veendam June 2013 & vacationed with several times a year since.   We also were on that "last cruise" with our dear neighbors, who have cruised with us for at least 11  cruises on HA, Princess, Celebrity, Royal & Viking.   This group of people planned & booked to go on Veendam again the last week of Jan 2021, but before V  was sold, we all decided the cruise atmosphere probably would not be to our liking, so we cancelled.  Instead we are going to rent a large home beachside in FL for that week, where we can congregate as we want (happy hours all day & no masks!!).....     

On 8/27/2020 at 3:46 PM, Cruizer Bill said:

DW and I would REALLY like to fly to Greece and ride on the Maasdam again!  Is anyone else planning on doing this?  If so, who do we contact for details?

Thanks much!

We will most certainly be Watching!  We love Greece and have explored many islands and would love to explore many more! 

• Like 1