No sail extended thru Oct. 30

thadlo

1 hour ago, DJLDRUMS said:

This no sail order also prevents the cruise lines from going forward to announce ship itineraries going any further into early 2023. All the future Lift and Shift program applicants can only go so far into 2022. Some of the larger ships have already shown forward and aft cabins sold out while mid ship cabins are more money....as expected.

Why cant they announce more cruises in nov or dec as usual?

I agree that I wouldn't be surprised to see prices going up for later into 2021 or into 2022. The lift and shift cant be done past april 2022 even if new itineraries released per the terms.

Unlikely with another extension from today's announcement, that they'll be announcing in Nov.& Dec. things have been in a turmoil where cruises have been held off since March this year til.... who knows when. Prices have jumped considerably as many have noted in 2022 into the first three months on 2023. More rough seas ahead.

5 hours ago, bigrednole said:

Correct, however in this case, politics is going to play a role. Not debating the political side of it, but one side wants the country open and another doesn't. Because that has a direct effect on cruises, it was worth pointing out.

The highlighted portion is both political and untrue.

Reading the Axios piece closely it appears the 10/31 date is only tentative  and may be extended depending on the outcome of Friday's meeting.  Here's the relevant section:

https://www.axios.com/scoop-white-house-overruled-cdc-cruise-ships-florida-91442136-1b8e-442e-a2a1-0b24e9a39fb6.html

What's next: Instead of following Redfield's desire — which a number of White House officials have argued is unreasonable — the Trump administration plans to extend the no-sail order for cruise ships until October 31. (That matches the endpoint of the cruise industry's self-imposed ban.)

• The administration hopes that between now and then, the cruise industry can demonstrate it has a plan to ensure "ships can sail in a safe and responsible manner and that the companies assume the burden of dealing with any possible outbreaks," said a task force member involved in the talks.
  • Representatives of the cruise industry are set to meet with the Trump administration on Friday to "describe their transformation and dozens of ways that they will mitigate risk and ensure public health," according to a White House official.
  • "And in that meeting there will be a discussion and afterwards a decision will need to be made about whether the order needs to be extended," the White House official added. "These things can be extended for a month and then we can reassess the conditions on an ongoing basis."
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, flamingos said:

So would the head of the CDC.

"Robert Redfield, the director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, was overruled when he pushed to extend a "no-sail order" on passenger cruises into next year, according to two sources with direct knowledge of the conversation today in the White House Situation Room."

https://www.axios.com/scoop-white-house-overruled-cdc-cruise-ships-florida-91442136-1b8e-442e-a2a1-0b24e9a39fb6.html

They're discussing cruising in the white house situation room?

4 hours ago, DJLDRUMS said:

Unlikely with another extension from today's announcement, that they'll be announcing in Nov.& Dec. things have been in a turmoil where cruises have been held off since March this year til.... who knows when. Prices have jumped considerably as many have noted in 2022 into the first three months on 2023. More rough seas ahead.

Azamara announced some of their 2023 itineraries recently, the new cruise with Confidence policy states specifically that it excludes any Sailings beyond April 2022.  Releasing new itineraries is the best way for Royal to generate some new cash flow as in order to book them people will have to put down cash for the deposit.  I still fully expect the 2022/3023 itineraries to be released this November and a December if no5 earlier.  NCL has already released some of theirs and they are being booked. 

• Like 1

If you don't follow Don's Family Vacations on You tube--I highly recommend him.  He had a great idea today and since there has been no official announcement from the CDC today (only media speculation but nothing directly from CDC--no update on site either)--the ban was set to end today unless extended.  They have not announced an extension, therefore it has expired.  They can't issue an extension now...they would have to issue a totally new ban.  Now Don does say this is probably not the case as the government can pretty much do what it wants.  But technically, the ban has expired!

3 minutes ago, catlady66 said:

If you don't follow Don's Family Vacations on You tube--I highly recommend him.  He had a great idea today and since there has been no official announcement from the CDC today (only media speculation but nothing directly from CDC--no update on site either)--the ban was set to end today unless extended.  They have not announced an extension, therefore it has expired.  They can't issue an extension now...they would have to issue a totally new ban.  Now Don does say this is probably not the case as the government can pretty much do what it wants.  But technically, the ban has expired!

Somehow I can’t see them going from wanting the extension through to Feb 15th to not extending it at all.

1 minute ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Somehow I can’t see them going from wanting the extension through to Feb 15th to not extending it at all.

Agreed--but here it is almost 6pm eastern time and no official announcement.  The article that was linked in the OP is just the usual unnamed "sources"--no direct quotes from CDC

1 minute ago, catlady66 said:

Agreed--but here it is almost 6pm eastern time and no official announcement.  The article that was linked in the OP is just the usual unnamed "sources"--no direct quotes from CDC

Even if it does expire it’s irrelevant as all cruise lines have cancelled sailings through a November at a minimum.  Gives them 30 days to draft a new order.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Even if it does expire it’s irrelevant as all cruise lines have cancelled sailings through a November at a minimum.  Gives them 30 days to draft a new order.  

True--but it gives them the whole month of October to prepare & drum up business for cruises with no chance of cancellation.  I'm probably being too optimistic but it's the first glimmer of hope I've had

49 minutes ago, flamingos said:

Those meetings appear to include overriding any medical advice given by the top public health officials, which is not encouraging.

Depends on your definition of who is top maybe idk.

But the article went on to say cruising is the ONLY industry in florida not open is my issue. If disney world etc wasnt open, I'd say sure, but everything else is open. I want fairness. Treat every business the same.

The answer well cdc cant control disney world, well then why can they flaunt their power and control cruises. Doesnt seem right to me. I'm for equality. Cdc cant get out of their own way reversing themselves over and over. 

If these are our top minds boy are we in a heap of do do. I knew when they told us early on masks didnt help they were liars. If masks dont help why do nurses and doctors wear them. It's been obvious they have a political agenda, not the truth since the beginning imo., you cant lie and then later anyone believes your advice isn't for whatever agenda, which isn't for american people. Ok so they wanted people to save ppe for front lines, they still lied from the beginning. Fire all of them.

Edited by firefly333
  • Like 4

10 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Depends on your definition of who is top maybe idk.

But the article went on to say cruising is the ONLY industry in florida not open is my issue. If disney world etc wasnt open, I'd say sure, but everything else is open. I want fairness. Treat every business the same.

Our governor does not have 'public health' at the top of his list. The CDC reversals are the war between public health professionals and political appointees - and yes, PLEASE. Fire their boss.  It didn't have to be this way.

• Like 3

Took another look at the Axios article I quoted in post 31.   I do not believe it says sailing will resume on 11/1.  Looks more like CDC wanted to extend shutdown 5 additional months to 2/28 and Pence said no, that's too long.  Lets extend one month at a time and see how things develop.  Article states they will review cruise line plans at Friday's meeting and discuss possible extension.  Not trying to take side of politicians over doctors but doesn't seem unreasonable.

I agree. The head of the CDC definitely needs to go away. Cruising is not going to return to normal any soon, but letting them partially restart lessens pain and brings in some cash (or draw down liability). Thankfully the CDC got told where to go.

In general the government (at least in Florida) has been a month late with all the reopenings. And, some things never should have been closed at all. The no sail order should have been discontinued at least a month ago.

Edited by NO_Member_Name
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, NO_Member_Name said:

I agree. The head of the CDC definitely needs to go away. Cruising is not going to return to normal any soon, but letting them partially restart lessens pain and brings in some cash (or draw down liability). Thankfully the CDC got told where to go.

In general the government (at least in Florida) has been a month late with all the reopenings. And, some things never should have been closed at all. The no sail order should have been discontinued at least a month ago.

Agreed. I read a few times the recommendations to return to cruising. I think there were excellent recommendations. Yes Im not thrilled with ship excursions yet if they limit the number of guests and number of stops, that will work. I like the masks and social distancing. I've been doing it along with a face shield for 6 months. I wear hats anyway in the Caribbean so masks aren't a big deal. Limiting guests to 50% capacity is fine. No self service in buffet is an excellent idea. 

Well stay tuned CDC director Redfield getting ready to resign...you can only be pushed back so far with this administration. Just what the White House and the cruise industry want ...a friendly in charge of the CDC....with no regards for what is really best for the public.

• Like 1

The real sign cruises will resume will be the return of crew to a ship. You can be certain we'll hear when that begins to happen for any ship in Royal Caribbean's fleet. There's too many people involved to keep it quiet. And we know based on published information so far that there will be a variety of 7 to 14-day quarantines in place for incoming crew. And we know that certain inspections have to be completed before a ship that hasn't been sailing regularly can sail with passengers. So we ostensibly will see a minimum of 3 weeks of activity, if not more, before any ship could sail with passengers.

So look at it in reverse. For the cruise line to begin these steps for any ship is a pretty big commitment. They're not going to do so lightly. They're going to want some level of assurances that they can move forward and that should anything untoward occur that known steps and procedures will be followed with regarding to recovering and resuming cruises when or if such things happen.

So the promising news is the extending of a no-sail order only until the end of October (or simply relying on the voluntary ending of it that already runs through October or early November amongst all applicable cruise lines). And it's promising there are stated plans to discuss how to resume cruises and what procedures are to be followed as cruises resume.

We also know reduced capacities are part of the requirements initially. And we know few ports will be open for visits at all, so it's likely that negotiations are also occurring with various island governments on how to accomplish that as well. But considering that people, in order to sail at all, will most certainly have to agree to whatever requirements are put in place regarding testing, mask wearing, confinement if outbreaks occur, and so forth, there's certainly going to be a step that involves accepting those terms or not accepting those terms; that will reduce the capacity by self-selecting those willing to adhere to whatever those rules are.

Nothing is a guarantee at this point. But we're really at the best point we've been in so far. It's conceivable that cruises could be taking place in November, and if they do, then conceivably more ships could be sailing in December.

I think it's important for people to be thinking about what they're willing to do and to risk being exposed to in terms of canceling a near-term sailing proactively now.

Miami Port is a 3 hour plane ride from home and I am much more concerned with my exposure during the pre-post cruise travel and boarding/deboarding than I am of the exposure on the ship itself. We rarely get off the ship for very long and enjoy just being on board for a couple of weeks whenever we do manage to sail.

That said, We will sail when we sail and not a day before. I can hardly wait and am quite interested to see how they handle all the social distancing, food handling, seating at the MDR and shows. How happy will happy hour be without the crowds and will the trivia prizes be better? Will there be less of a crowd in the DL? Will they ever learn how to make an acceptable Margarita outside of Sabor?

So many things, so little time.

See you there.