Lifts

silversurf

1 minute ago, moonstone01 said:

When cruises do re-start will it be with drastically reduced numbers of people on board. This would, in some small part admittedly, reduce the numbers waiting for the lifts. Or am I over simplifying things. My wife insists we use the stairs as often as possible to keep us fit as I enjoy the trifles far too much🤣

A good point - and that will certainly help.  With you on the trifles too!

9 hours ago, silversurf said:

We are booked on Ventura for Summer 2021. Have sailed on her before and have had to wait ages for a lift as I use a wheelchair. How on earth are PandO going to manage lifts with social distancing. I have visions on standing, waiting for an empty lift for hours on end.

Being in a wheel chair, you'll get priority, I'd always let you to the front of the line!

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

I still don't care how empty they are, I ain't getting in... 

If anywhere will amplify the spread of germs, the lifts will be it... 

Michelle has to use the lifts on occasion, so this will affect our decision on when to cruise again... 

Andy 

Sensible approach in the circumstances, Andy.  Same situation here.  Business keeping you run off your feet?

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

I still don't care how empty they are, I ain't getting in... 

If anywhere will amplify the spread of germs, the lifts will be it... 

Michelle has to use the lifts on occasion, so this will affect our decision on when to cruise again... 

Andy 

You may find that if most people think the same then only those who really need to use a lift will do so resulting in less crowded lifts.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Me too.

IMO wheelchair users should always be given priority.

My mother has recently started to use a wheelchair and trying to get into a lift normally is difficult. Yes they ask for priority to be given to those in wheelchairs but it doesn't happen.  After our last muster drill it took us half an hour to return to our cabin.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Sensible approach in the circumstances, Andy.  Same situation here.  Business keeping you run off your feet?

Still busy Harry, but who knows how long it will last.. 

Just future proofing at the moment. 

Thank you for asking. 

Andy 

• Like 2

On my last cruise  I was still perfecting walking again.  I used/carried a stick and encountered nothing but kindness and politeness regarding the lifts.

It was a bit of an eye opener to me.. and exceeded what I expected.    I felt it was a case of live and learn.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, purplesea said:

My mother has recently started to use a wheelchair and trying to get into a lift normally is difficult. Yes they ask for priority to be given to those in wheelchairs but it doesn't happen.  After our last muster drill it took us half an hour to return to our cabin.

We took Pauline's late mam on 6 cruises and she had a wheelchair and experienced people's rudeness.

On occasion I literally stopped people running in front of us into the lift so Pauline could push her mam into the lift.

If I ever see anybody in a wheelchair I always let them go in the lift first.

26 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

We took Pauline's late mam on 6 cruises and she had a wheelchair and experienced people's rudeness.

On occasion I literally stopped people running in front of us into the lift so Pauline could push her mam into the lift.

If I ever see anybody in a wheelchair I always let them go in the lift first.

It astonishes me the way people behave. I don’t really frequent the lifts, but always hold doors open for people in wheelchairs, or people pushing pushchairs etc. It’s just common politeness really, but sometimes people forget their manners when they see an empty lift! 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, zap99 said:

Quite often there is not a queue. If so, why is it a crime to get in the lift? If anyone on deck 4 wants to go to deck17, why not?.

I was merely throwing in another thought to add to those already made - whether serious or tongue in cheek. I certainly wasn't suggesting that anyone shouldn't be allowed to use a lift, merely that should there be any problems with lifts affecting all pax, the individual consequences could be more challenging on the larger ships and specifically Iona due to her layout.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Dermotsgirl said:

I don’t like lifts, and only go in them if absolutely necessary.

i normally have a cabin on a middle deck, so that I can walk to other decks with reasonable ease.  Sometimes, I break the climb by using two staircases, for example if I’ve been ashore I’ll use the atrium staircase and then ‘my’ staircase to go up to my cabin 

We sometimes do the same thing. We try book deck 10 and one of the cabins looking out over the wake.  My husband can usually manage one or two flights so we have been known to return to the ship then head to the front set of stairs for the first one or two floors then move to the middle for the next stairs then to the aft for the last few floors.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

We sometimes do the same thing. We try book deck 10 and one of the cabins looking out over the wake.  My husband can usually manage one or two flights so we have been known to return to the ship then head to the front set of stairs for the first one or two floors then move to the middle for the next stairs then to the aft for the last few floors.

its good for exercise too

7 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Racist comments aren’t welcome here.  They add nothing.

To be honest Harry me being the victim of racist comments most of my life my father being a black Jamaican, I have yet to read what I classify as being a racist comment on this thread but my classification is obviously different from yours.

• Like 1

Just now, Bazrat said:

To be honest Harry me being the victim of racist comments most of my life my father being a black Jamaican, I have yet to read what I classify as being a racist comment on this thread but my classification is obviously different from yours.

Pointing out cultural differences shouldn't be taken as racist. 

We all know nobody queues quite like us British... 

Andy 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Why is it racist when criticising the behaviour of foreigners  and yet it's perfectly acceptable when criticising Brits behaviour?

Perfectly acceptable to criticise the behaviour of an individual or group of individuals from a particular country (Germany in this case) but not to suggest, ludicrously, that that type of behaviour is normal for an entire race of people.

Here's the OED definition:

A belief that one’s own racial or ethnic group is superior, or that other such groups represent a threat to one's cultural identity, racial integrity, or economic well-being;

(also) a belief that the members of different racial or ethnic groups possess specific characteristics, abilities, or qualities, which can be compared and evaluated. Hence: prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against people of other racial or ethnic groups (or, more widely, of other nationalities), esp. based on such beliefs.

39 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Perfectly acceptable to criticise the behaviour of an individual or group of individuals from a particular country (Germany in this case) but not to suggest, ludicrously, that that type of behaviour is normal for an entire race of people.

Here's the OED definition:

A belief that one’s own racial or ethnic group is superior, or that other such groups represent a threat to one's cultural identity, racial integrity, or economic well-being;

(also) a belief that the members of different racial or ethnic groups possess specific characteristics, abilities, or qualities, which can be compared and evaluated. Hence: prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against people of other racial or ethnic groups (or, more widely, of other nationalities), esp. based on such beliefs.

Bit of a stretch there’re Harry but I will stick to my definition based on 60 years experience