CDC Lifts Cruise Ban

molly361

12 hours ago, twangster said:

Counter argument here:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-airlines-risks/bad-math-airlines-covid-safety-analysis-challenged-by-expert-idUSKBN27411C

It seems the expert the IATA cited disagrees with the basis of the IATA findings.

That "44 cases" study by the airline industry certainly doesn't pass the smell test.

Here is the bottom line: air travel is considered "essential" and there is no appetite for overbearing restrictions on flying. It's that simple. If CDC imposed restrictions on airline passengers, there would be howling just as much as when restaurants and bars are shut. CDC is allowing the airlines to voluntarily decide what to do, including filling middle seats if they choose.

Hawaiian Airlines is resuming non-stop service between New York, Boston and Honolulu. The scheduled flight time from Boston is 11 1/2 hours. It is one of the longest domestic non-stop flights in the world. Hawaiian doesn't need any special certificate from CDC to do this AFAIK. Twelve hours in a metal tube with people removing masks to eat and drink. None of the arguments here about how flying is not anything like cruising as far as Covid is concerned are persuasive to me. We have 90,000 new cases a day in the U.S. and they have absolutely nothing to do with cruising.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, islandwannabee said:

So to summarize, only 3 or 4 ships, doing 3-4 days with no back to backs?? Is this for the foreseeable future, like all of 2021?

That’s my understanding, until at least November 2021.  Unless it is stopped by the CDC or restrictions are lifted for whatever reason. 

6 hours ago, twangster said:

In the plane scenario no testing is performed and once your seatbelt is secured you are not allowed to move for the duration of the flight.  Your seatmate is allowed to cough, sneeze and breath heavily in your direction through their mask for the entire flight.  You cannot move.  You are potentially 18" away from them for the whole flight. 

In the cruise ship scenario everyone boarding the ship is tested.  No one who tests positive can board the ship.  No one is allowed to enter your cabin except you.  The rest of the time you are free to move around at your free will.  The infector, if they are able to sneak past the testers (unlikely) might find you but you are always free to move away and avoid them.

Would you prefer to take the hour flight or board a cruise ship for 7 days?

In order for this to be  even remotely a comparable apples-2-apples scenarios, you need to modify the cruise portion. The infection will be seated next to you every night in the MDR / Windjammer / DL / SL, 18 inches away. Every night.  Without a mask while they eat.

Oh, and don't forget to mention the air in the plane is 100% refreshed  every 3-5 minutes while the MDR, etc is 100% refreshed...????? who knows????

Go!

2 hours ago, Billy Baltic said:

Why are some people so preoccupied with the relative risk of cruising versus flying? The CDC approach is what it is. Since this is a cruising forum lets focus on what it means to just cruising. 

LOL.

I've always been baffled by the Cruise ship vs Airplane or Cruise ship vs Disney  or Cruise ship vs Supermarket comparison as well.

That's like comparing a car to a canoe or a house or a bar of soap and decide what it better.

See, makes no sense.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

That’s my understanding, until at least November 2021.  Unless it is stopped by the CDC or restrictions are lifted for whatever reason. 

Where did you see November?  Was hoping we could at least make our 5 night in August.

24 minutes ago, islandwannabee said:

So to summarize, only 3 or 4 ships, doing 3-4 days with no back to backs?? Is this for the foreseeable future, like all of 2021?

They are allowed to do 7 day cruises.  Royal is likely to start with 3/4 day cruises for a month or two then slowly move into the up to 7 day cruises with more ships. 

back to backs are likely out but there has not been anything official on that. 

Edited by Ourusualbeach
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, LuCruise said:

Where did you see November?  Was hoping we could at least make our 5 night in August.

It was noted on one of the pages earlier on this thread to November of 2021. I don’t remember which one.

Edited by A&L_Ont
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

November was the date that their current guidelines extend until which mandated only 7 day or less cruises amongst all the other restrictions and procedures. 

7 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

It was noted on one of the pages earlier on this thread. I don’t remember which one.

Thanks.  Really hope that changes (for the better) overtime.

Edited by LuCruise
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

There was wording in there that restrictions can change as conditions change.  Assuming that is for both better or worse. 

I found it and I think this is what you and I are referring too. 

0AC41CAE-D3C1-4E3F-ABB6-57B95ED77808.thumb.jpeg.4bb34aac1075c92fb8f06f4145f9ecba.jpeg

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

They are allowed to do 7 day cruises.  Royal is likely to start with 3/4 day cruises for a month or two then slowly move into the up to 7 day cruises with more ships. 

back to backs are likely out but there has not been anything official on that. 

With these short cruises it is likely people could catch covid19 on board and be off the ship by the time symptoms show.

Graham.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Billy Baltic said:

Why are some people so preoccupied with the relative risk of cruising versus flying? The CDC approach is what it is. Since this is a cruising forum lets focus on what it means to just cruising. 

Because for many of us flying is the beginning and end if a cruise.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It appears to me that the bureaucratic swamp won. The CDC wanted to extend their no sail order until February and were over ruled by the Coronavirus task force so the extension went until Halloween. The new "hoops" seem to assure that there will be no sailing for months. A CDC person said as much. That is how the bureaucratic swamp works using their regulation power. Disappointed here! Booked for a December 6th cruise......that has a slim to none chance of sailing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

That would be the way I see it, with set times for testing. It can’t look like a muster drill from normal times. 

I’m sure the CDC will want all test results submitted 12 hours prior to returning arrival in port for disembarkation, so they can determine if and how guests are allowed to disembark depending on the results. 

I totally get what you are saying. However, inagine how your life gets turned up side down if either you, or enough people on the ship test positive. This is a stress factor that I do not need as part of my vacation. Maybe other people are not so concerned about it.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ipeeinthepool said:

Also in the CDC guidelines was a note about restricting port capacity.  The CDC doesn't want 55,000 people passing through Port Everglades on one day.  It will be interesting to see how they ration the slots when they start to resume sailing.

Are there really that many ships cycling through there? When you factor in fleet reductions, and the high likelihood of ships sailing at reduced capacity, I'd bet this problem fixes itself or comes pretty darned close.

Although the NSO lift is rather positive, it seems there are a few hurdles and obstacles to overcome before obtaining a  CDC COVID-19 Conditional Sailing Certificate.  

Namely, limited port traffic and the need for hotel or other housing inventory.  Logistically speaking, it won't be a walk in the park.  I foresee prices going up and up. 

From Cruise Industry News:

"According to the new CDC guidelines, a cruise line will need a medical care agreement between the cruise ship operator and health care entities, addressing evacuation to onshore hospitals for passengers and crew in need of care, in accordance with CDC technical instructions and orders.

It will also need a housing agreement between the cruise ship operator and one or more shoreside facilities for isolation and quarantine of COVID-19 cases and close contacts, respectively, identified from the day of embarkation through disembarkation for each voyage, in accordance with CDC technical instructions and orders.

And perhaps more challenging, a port agreement between the cruise ship operator and port authority is needed and will determine the number of cruise ships at any "single port in order to not overburden the public health response resources of any single jurisdiction in the event of a COVID-19 outbreak."

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/23793-port-traffic-to-be-limited-cruise-lines-will-need-housing-agreements.html

3 hours ago, ipeeinthepool said:

I have a couple of long cruises on Celebrity in February of 2021 with final payment due in the next few weeks.  I wish they would cancel soon so I don't need to make final payment and then wait for the refund.

I cancelled January myself. I am not playing the game of giving them my money so that I can wait to get it back. I am no longer comfortable going in January anyway. Unlike you I have no interest in being on trial cruises.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, molly361 said:

Was there anything in there that defined what they consider reduced capacity?  50%. 25%  If so I missed it

The only reference to capacity is on page 29 and rather vague.  Seems like they are leaving the capacity restrictions up to the cruise lines. 

Screen Shot 2020-10-31 at 10.25.09 AM.png

Edited by livingonthebeach

35 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

I totally get what you are saying. However, inagine how your life gets turned up side down if either you, or enough people on the ship test positive. This is a stress factor that I do not need as part of my vacation. Maybe other people are not so concerned about it.

Totally agree with you, which is why we won’t be sailing for some time yet. Probably January 2022.

There are others here that are willing to go though. I guess they will be making double points and having an experience. 🤷‍♂️

Edited by A&L_Ont
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, Joebucks said:

Are there really that many ships cycling through there? When you factor in fleet reductions, and the high likelihood of ships sailing at reduced capacity, I'd bet this problem fixes itself or comes pretty darned close.

Yup, I don't think that's going to be a problem right now.