Dining room.....wonder what that will be like???

Kelownabccan

1 hour ago, Crazy For Cats said:

My phone scans QR code’s via an app.  It then pulls up the web page.  This would not work on the ships intranet.  If you purchase internet service then it would work but probably very slowly.

The QR code will point to a page on the ship's Intranet, just like the Navigator app.  So performance should be just fine.  And unless someone comes on the ship and swaps out the QR code signs and you are connected to the Internet (at port or through a package), security risks (though always a concern and it's good that people be aware of them) should not be an issue.  Hopefully the online menus will have links to pictures of the food.

The bigger issue I think is with our eyes!  Since many of use have seen so much through our eyes, reading a menu on a small phone will be challenging 😀.  But, on the other hand, no more need to use our phone as a flashlight  to see the menu!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just to be clear - NONE of the US based cruise lines have stated using QR codes will be the way the menus will be handled (In fact they have said virtually nothing at all).  I was making a guess as to what they MIGHT do based on what I have seen on MSC, TUI, Costa & AIDA in Europe who all seem to be favouring this approach.

No Ipad have I.  No smart phone have I.  Therefore, if I want to cruise again, I will have to move further into the 21st Century, "tech-wise"?  Particularly if I want to order what I want for B-L-D.  Otherwise, I ask my Steward to "bring me whatever"?  

• Like 2

If we can safely assume that they have to remove tables in the dining areas in order to physically distance diners then timing is going to be an issue.  I think that diners can expect shorter dining times in order to accommodate as many passengers as possible.  Shorter dining times can be accomplished by having much less menu offerings and a smaller number of servings.

But that's just my guessing.  Who knows what will roll out when the time comes.  

2 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

No Ipad have I.  No smart phone have I.  Therefore, if I want to cruise again, I will have to move further into the 21st Century, "tech-wise"?  Particularly if I want to order what I want for B-L-D.  Otherwise, I ask my Steward to "bring me whatever"?  

My guess is, at least during initial stages, they'll just use disposable paper menus.  

15 hours ago, ScottC4746 said:

I hope not.  I refuse to use those due to privacy issues.

11 hours ago, ScottC4746 said:

12 hours ago, canadianbear said:

Yikes...I had no idea.  I’ve only been to a restaurant once during the pandemic that had the code but didn’t use it.  

The articles refer to indiscriminately scanning random QR codes that contain malicious software. Do we really think HAL will be imbedding malicious software in the menu?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

With not all the tables available in the Lido due to spacing requirements, HAL is going to have to do something about the people who literally park themselves all day long at a table.  Tables are going to need to turn over.  Maybe set a time limit and have the servers monitoring things and bringing to the attention of a supervisor when passengers have over stayed their welcome.

And you can always bring thing back to your cabin.  If you've finished lunch and your time limit is up and you want dessert, put something on a plate and eat it in your cabin. 

I don't think they'll physically remove tables in the MDR, just mark them somehow as not useable, the way land based restaurants have been doing  with signs or tape.  I think they're going to have to have more than 2 dining times in the MDR to accommodate everyone.  

Even in a suite, I've never found in room dining to be that comfortable, and would hate to be "assigned" to have certain meals via room service.  Of course if ships can't sail at full capacity some of these problems may work themselves out.  

Here's what my neighbor's foster cat thinks of 2020.

1321963361_FosterCat.jpg.9465a14ba4ea31cee9f96ac7957327b9.jpg

Edited by Roz
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1

We now need to preface our discussion with BV or AV, before vaccine, after vaccine.  I suggested to HAL and still think it is a good idea to prescribe times for the buffets, BV.  But yes, people do tend to enjoy a good conversation in the lido after breakfast which on sea days can stretch to lunch.   AV, I think HAL's long time policy of buffet service will be the standard.  I also expect that HAL will lower some of those sneeze guards so people can't reach under and snitch a food item.  That always confused me anyway, if the sneeze guard doesn't prevent grabbing, are you allowed to grab?  

13 hours ago, Aquahound said:

My guess is, at least during initial stages, they'll just use disposable paper menus.  

I can not see how they could go all electronic on the menus. They still need to have some paper ones, probably to meet ADA/EU requirements at least. Are braille versions available for those that might need it? 

My experience with those QR codes at restaurants is that they work best on iphones, not as well for androids.  I end up asking for a paper menu.

I think putting the menus on the app is a better solution.  I've not used HAL's, but Carnival's worked really well on my last cruise.

11 minutes ago, Roz said:

My experience with those QR codes at restaurants is that they work best on iphones, not as well for androids.  I end up asking for a paper menu.

I think putting the menus on the app is a better solution.  I've not used HAL's, but Carnival's worked really well on my last cruise.

I didn't know HAL had an app.  How does it work?

Just now, ScottC4746 said:

I didn't know HAL had an app.  How does it work?

It’s called Navigator.

It looks like this:

25CE9058-66EF-40D9-8463-369900117862.jpeg.b7be24936036bd4455db17bd9fb38edf.jpeg

and is downloadable from the App Store at no cost.

On board, it shows you the daily activities, the meal times, MDR menus,  your on board account (bill) along with a bunch of other stuff.

You can even give feed back on it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, kazu said:

It’s called Navigator.

It looks like this:

On board, it shows you the daily activities, the meal times, MDR menus,  your on board account (bill) along with a bunch of other stuff.

Cool.  But you need to purchase WiFi for it to work?

8 minutes ago, ScottC4746 said:

No, you don’t.

Although I usually have wifi -   it’s through Navigator that I purchase internet.

edited to say - here is one of the links that tells you about it - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.hollandamerica.navigator.moapp&hl=en_CA&gl=US

7 minutes ago, ScottC4746 said:

I wondered the same thing about the Carnival app, but no, you don't need wifi.  Just put your phone on airplane mode.  My phone doesn't even work outside the US, but I was able to use the app on my Panama Canal cruise.  There are also features you can use before you even board, so it's worth downloading if you have an upcoming cruise (not that any of us do ☹️).

@ScottC4746, here's what the HAL website says, basically what @kazu copied from the app store.

Personalize your cruise experience once you’re on the ship with our free mobile-friendly tool. Plan your daily activities, browse and purchase shore excursions, view restaurant menus, make dining reservations, check your account balance and more. 

Download The App

Download the Holland America Line Navigator App on Google Play or Apple's App Store.

28 minutes ago, kazu said:

It’s called Navigator.

It looks like this:

26 minutes ago, ScottC4746 said:

You can use Navigator without signing into a paid wifi account, so it’s free. As well as what’s already mentioned, it gives you access to an assortment of international  news sites, so you can keep up with what’s going on in the world. ( Funny, that used to sound like a good thing. Now, not so much.)

There is also a messaging feature that lets you text other people on the ship, again without paid wifi. It came in very handy when DH was at bridge and I was at Project Linus, and we wanted to meet up for lunch. You just can’t check your email or surf the web.

• Like 1

On 11/19/2020 at 6:21 AM, rafinmd said:

I think everyone cruising for the next year or two will need to pack a sense of adventure.  Those going with specific expectations will almost certainly be disappointed.  Early cruisers will be pioneers and pioneers are also discoverers.

Roy

Pioneers also take the arrows.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, cbr663 said:

Shorter dining times can be accomplished by having much less menu offerings and a smaller number of servings.

Bye-bye fine dining if so.  Such will radically change the dining experience on a HAL ship.

17 hours ago, Kelownabccan said:

Too bad we cannot return to the days of the "Yum Yum Man" at the dining room entrance...he just turned into a table now

Where the "table" often contains empty bowls, particularly after second seating.

8 hours ago, Roz said:

Maybe set a time limit and have the servers monitoring things and bringing to the attention of a supervisor when passengers have over stayed their welcome.

Don't disagree that a supervisor ought to play a role, but, from my observations, their job description--including the Assistant Maitre d' in charge of the Lido Restaurant--has nothing to do with the guests other than answering guests' questions and being pleasant.  

29 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Don't disagree that a supervisor ought to play a role, but, from my observations, their job description--including the Assistant Maitre d' in charge of the Lido Restaurant--has nothing to do with the guests other than answering guests' questions and being pleasant.  

Maybe bring in security? 😛  The Enforcers.