Covid -19 Vaccinations

rucrazy

Covid vaccines   

97 members have voted

1. 1. Will you get the Covid Vaccine when made available

• Yes, as soon as possible
    • Yes, but will wait a a while to seek if it has adverse effects on others.
    • No. I don't believe in vaccinations.
    • I don't know

8 hours ago, Randyk47 said:

The “Yellow Card” was, maybe still is, the yellow colored card/little light cardboard folder International Immunization Record.  Back years ago you didn’t travel without it.   I don’t remember exactly when it became a non-issue but I know when I got transferred to Germany in the mid 80’s it wasn’t asked for or an issue.   We have travelled fairly extensively in the past eight years and have never been asked for it.   Mine is somewhere in our files but not sure where.  I can’t imagine it has been automated but it certainly could be like passport information automated and available via some database.  

Apologies for the confusion. I hadn’t realised that individual countries would use different nomenclature for this. Adverse Drug Reporting in the U.K. is the Yellow Card system, there is an equivalent in the EU run by the EMA, EUdraVigilance, and one in the US run by the FDA. Having looked at all three the U.K. one has COVID-19 specific sections and is updated weekly, and you can drill down into the data, the EU one is less easy to use and public access is restricted (and there’s a surprise), the US one appears to be by completed year only and you need to find individual drug names, so not very useful to me.

12 hours ago, Randyk47 said:

The “Yellow Card” was, maybe still is, the yellow colored card/little light cardboard folder International Immunization Record.  

7 hours ago, Tothesunset said:

In the UK when a patient has an adverse reaction to any medication that reaction can be reported using a yellow card proforma.

3 hours ago, Silver Spectre said:

Adverse Drug Reporting in the U.K. is the Yellow Card system.

Thanks everybody for the helpful explanations!

1 hour ago, crusinbanjo said:

So as I often do, during the day I tried again to schedule an appointment to get the vaccine.  Just now I logged in and the wait time was 1 minute!!!, then it went to 6 minutes then 23 minutes and finally.  This is exceedingly frustrating! 

Screen Shot 2021-02-26 at 11.53.06 AM.png

I helped a friend yesterday, using getmyvaccine.org.   She had been struggling with the same site as you for weeks.. Web sites written by regular people shouldn't be better than state/county but, they are.  I got her a next day appointment. Give it a try! And buy the guy a cup of coffee if it works out for you!

Edited by kimanjo
spelling
  • Like 1

BREAKING NEWS! from the New York Times late this afternoon as they had this headline: “F.D.A. Panel Gives Green Light to Johnson & Johnson’s Vaccine” with these highlights: “Johnson & Johnson’s Covid-19 vaccine was endorsed on Friday by a panel of experts advising the Food and Drug Administration, clearing the last hurdle before a formal authorization expected on Saturday, according to two people familiar with the agency’s plans. The nation’s first shipments will go out in the days after that.  It will be the third shot made available to the United States in the year since the first surge of coronavirus cases began washing over the country, and it will be the first vaccine to require just one dose instead of two.  Johnson & Johnson’s formulation worked well in clinical trials, particularly against severe disease and hospitalizations, even though it did not match the sky-high efficacy rates of the first two vaccines made by Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna.”

Full story at:

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2021/02/26/world/covid-19-coronavirus

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Barcelona/Med: June 2011, with stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Great visuals with key highlights, tips, etc. Live/blog now at 252,962 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, crusinbanjo said:

So as I often do, during the day I tried again to schedule an appointment to get the vaccine.  Just now I logged in and the wait time was 1 minute!!!, then it went to 6 minutes then 23 minutes and finally.  This is exceedingly frustrating!

At least you seem to have a centralized system in Massachusetts. In Pennsylvania -- one of the worst performing states in the vaccine race -- there is absolutely no centralized approach. Some counties have registration lists for appointments. Hospitals have lists. Doctors have lists. Pharmacies have lists. FEMA is going to open a few sites, so I'm sure they will have lists. And as a consumer, you have to constantly check to try to find an opening. 

For the past few days, I've been using an app similar to the one @kimanjo mentioned. But I've only see it find one-off appointments made available by people who have gotten vaccinated via one provider cancelling their appointments with a different provider. Even when I watch the app like a hawk, and notice an appointment within 100 miles of us showing as available, trying within seconds invariably results in the pharmacy showing no availability. With Rite Aid, it teases you by saying to select a time from one available time, and then informing you, "sorry, another customer has just booked that time slot." Yesterday and today, I've tried hundreds of times, but no luck. It's maddeningly frustrating! (I have an appointment in mid-March, but I'm trying to get one for my wife.)

19 hours ago, kimanjo said:

I helped a friend yesterday, using getmyvaccine.org.   She had been struggling with the same site as you for weeks.. Web sites written by regular people shouldn't be better than state/county but, they are.  I got her a next day appointment. Give it a try! And buy the guy a cup of coffee if it works out for you!

Thanks, I’ll give it a try and repor5 back

19 hours ago, kimanjo said:

Here is what I got, no availability in Mass anywhere,!

7C08727C-1D15-4298-BB3B-1D8749144240.png

1 hour ago, crusinbanjo said:

Here is what I got, no availability in Mass anywhere,!

7C08727C-1D15-4298-BB3B-1D8749144240.png

It refreshes every 60 seconds.  Don't give up.  I left it open and it would show nothing, then openings at Reggie Lewis, then Malden etc. Ever changing.  She is on the North Shore and needed somewhere up there.  After a while, Peabody showed up, then Ipswich.  

Just leave it open!!! 

We get good Vaccine support here in Georgia.  Our county gave me my second Pfizer

dose last Thursday.  Also, as a retired Soldier, disabled veteran, I registered with the local VA ten minutes from my home and they were willing to give me the vaccine earlier this month

This site may help some of you:   https://vaccinefinder.org/

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, WesW said:

We get good Vaccine support here in Georgia.  Our county gave me my second Pfizer

dose last Thursday.  Also, as a retired Soldier, disabled veteran, I registered with the local VA ten minutes from my home and they were willing to give me the vaccine earlier this month

This site may help some of you:   https://vaccinefinder.org/

Hi Wes, thank you for your service and you should be in the group who get priority (in my opinion anyway.)

• Like 2

Thanks Lois, it was our privilege to have served.  Ida and I together have five and a half decades of service to the US Army even tho retired for ten years we still serve.  I volunteered with the VA for years.  Now, we are both board members of our County's Armed Forces Senior Veterans, which I serve as Chair.   

Hope everyone who wants a vaccine gets it soonest.  Please keep us posted.

Btw, we both had Covid back in October and I had no side effects from either dose.  Am thinking the antibodies my body developed to help fight the virus helped me subdue any side effects that tried to surface.

• Like 3

Hi Wes, wow....you were "regular army"?.......My dad served with the "Greatest Generation". 

Hoping we will have available vaccines for those of us under 65 in a few weeks (sometime

in March).  I will be getting one for sure!   Sorry you got the virus but glad you are recovered.🙂

• Like 1

On 2/26/2021 at 1:53 PM, kimanjo said:

Thank you so much for the link to this website.  Maryland is a hot mess-no centralized registration sites.  I have been eligible for a month and have worked for hours every day to secure a slot.  Yesterday, with the help of this website I got an appointment for dose one tomorrow and two in a month.  Thank you Thank you Thank you.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, scottjeanne said:

Thank you so much for the link to this website.  Maryland is a hot mess-no centralized registration sites.  I have been eligible for a month and have worked for hours every day to secure a slot.  Yesterday, with the help of this website I got an appointment for dose one tomorrow and two in a month.  Thank you Thank you Thank you.

Glad it helped!  I'm a healthy 58, so I assume my age group in my county of 975,000 comes at the end of March.  Hopefully by then, supply will match demand, and sign-ups will be easier/better. 

On 2/24/2021 at 11:22 AM, Lois R said:

Well, I just reached the FL Dept of Health......maybe your county in Jupiter is doing things on their own?   But the guy I spoke with said I am a no go----even with Diabetes. Since I am not 65 I am

not yet eligible. He said he was reading from what was issued from the state.  So who knows?

I will just wait my turn like everyone else.    I called my County Health Dept and was told I need to go to the state, so that is where I went.

Hi Lois,    

The state "system" for those with underlying conditions is different than the process for 65+. The vaccines for eligible people under 65 are administered in certain local hospitals and you're not able to  register for an appt. using the 65+ system; you get on the list with the local hospital. The pool of available vaccines is smaller for that group,  so I have heard that those who have been a patient of one of the hospitals or of a physician affiliated with the  hospital have an easier time getting an appt. once the physician submits the eligibility letter. . 

https://www.news4jax.com/health/2021/02/04/uf-health-jacksonville-among-hospitals-offering-covid-19-vaccines-to-some-patients/

In any case, more than half of 65+ in Florida have received at least the first vaccine and our governor is discussing opening up eligibility to 60+ or 55+ very soon!

Edited by Dolcevita Diva

36 minutes ago, Dolcevita Diva said:

Hi Lois,    

The state "system" for those with underlying conditions is different than the process for 65+. The vaccines for eligible people under 65 are administered in certain local hospitals and you're not able to  register for an appt. using the 65+ system; you get on the list with the local hospital. The pool of available vaccines is smaller for that group,  so I have heard that those who have been a patient of one of the hospitals or of a physician affiliated with the  hospital have an easier time getting an appt. once the physician submits the eligibility letter. . 

https://www.news4jax.com/health/2021/02/04/uf-health-jacksonville-among-hospitals-offering-covid-19-vaccines-to-some-patients/

In any case, more than half of 65+ in Florida have received at least the first vaccine and our governor is discussing opening up eligibility to 60+ or 55+ very soon!

Thanks for the link. So I would have to call the hospital and see if I am eligible through them.

Or call one of the hospitals closer to where I live. The one on that link is in a very sketchy

neighborhood.  I just re-read that link.....you actually have to be a patient

of that hospital.......that is not me.

As for the Governor, I know about what he said.......actually he was here in Jacksonville

last week when he said "barring any distribution issues" he would be lowering the age sometime in March. Lets see what happens.

6 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Thanks for the link. So I would have to call the hospital and see if I am eligible through them.

Or call one of the hospitals closer to where I live. The one on that link is in a very sketchy

neighborhood.  I just re-read that link.....you actually have to be a patient

of that hospital.......that is not me.

As for the Governor, I know about what he said.......actually he was here in Jacksonville

last week when he said "barring any distribution issues" he would be lowering the age sometime in March. Lets see what happens.

Gosh, Lois, was simply trying to help by sharing that example more local to you, since you seemed to be under the impression that Jupiter Medical Center was running rogue 😉   Several of my friends with underlying conditions were able to receive a vaccine by contacting their Doctor, who made the necessary arrangements with the facility. 

Best of luck to you and hope that you are able to receive the vaccine soon!    

17 minutes ago, Dolcevita Diva said:

Gosh, Lois, was simply trying to help by sharing that example more local to you, since you seemed to be under the impression that Jupiter Medical Center was running rogue 😉   Several of my friends with underlying conditions were able to receive a vaccine by contacting their Doctor, who made the necessary arrangements with the facility. 

Best of luck to you and hope that you are able to receive the vaccine soon!    

Thanks, I appreciate it, really🙂.......I tried my Primary Care and had no luck. Maybe I need

to call him back again. And I never meant Jupiter was going rouge.....honest.

Sometime the internet can be a funky medium....things come across in

a way they were not meant........

15 hours ago, Lois R said:

Thanks, I appreciate it, really🙂.......I tried my Primary Care and had no luck. Maybe I need

to call him back again. And I never meant Jupiter was going rouge.....honest.

Sometime the internet can be a funky medium....things come across in

a way they were not meant........

Edited by cece50

1 minute ago, cece50 said:

Lois, your doctor should be all over this. The Gov was pretty specific for those under 65 with underlying conditions.  This is done very locally with your doctors providing you with documentation of your conditions.