New health Protocols

emam

On 12/20/2020 at 10:55 AM, Eglesbrech said:

I don’t think it has been misunderstood as Matt Hancock was quite specific about the over 50s. I heard him say it on TV but can’t recall which programme it was on. The extract below is from the Guardian on 27 November.

“Hancock has said the restrictions can be loosened once all the over-50s, younger people with health conditions and NHS and care workers have been vaccinated. He has said the bulk of vaccination for those groups will take place in January to March, and hopes that by Easter it may be possible to end social distancing.”

Returning to this,  we were promised  'millions' of vaccinations by the end of the year, that calculator of when you were likely to get the vaccine was based on a predicted million a week, and the actual figure to date is just half a million.

Doctors' surgeries say they have no idea when they're getting the vaccine, the BMA is talking about  'confusion ' in rolling out the programme, and meanwhile the rate of infection is rocketing.

Rerun that calculator with the million a week changed to a million a month and it's going to take months just to get through the top priority groups, let alone the under 60s.

https://www.omnicalculator.com/health/vaccine-queue-uk

52 minutes ago, wowzz said:

It does seem to vary from region  to region. My mum had her jab on Tuesday. She said the whole process was very efficient. They were vaccinating yesterday and today as well. 

My grand daughter who is a nurse in Wakefield Hospital has told me they are beginning vaccinations on January 4th.

Avril

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Ardennais said:

The estimated dates on the calculator have already changed by 9-10 days since this time last week so it might be even longer than we originally thought. 

I’ve just checked and I’ve slipped about 3 weeks to now being around mid May......(my age group is 60-65).

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Angel57 said:

I’ve just checked and I’ve slipped about 3 weeks to now being around mid May......(my age group is 60-65).

That’s my age group.

To be honest, from the time that the ‘priority list’ was released/published/leaked, I’ve thought that I won’t get vaccinated until the summer 

• Like 1

Of those vaccinated so far, 30% are NHS / care workers. The remaining 70% represents just 1 in 8 of the over 80’s in the UK, so almost 90% of over 80 haven’t even had their first jab yet. Things will undoubtedly speed up once Xmas / New Year are out of the way and, more importantly, once other vaccines are available that are less complicated to distribute & administer. However, the National Audit Office is saying what many of us said from the outset (and were labelled as negative for doing so), that this is going to take a very long time indeed. They predict the end of 2021 before all those classed as ‘at risk’ from the virus (over 50’s) are vaccinated and 2022 before the majority of the population is protected. These estimates are based on 70% acceptance rates. I am hopeful that this will be improved, but as a 55 year old I will be both delighted and surprised if I am vaccinated before the second half of 2021. I’m afraid that I don’t believe that those vaccination apps / tables have an ounce of credibility and I’m amazed that anyone is taking a blind bit of notice of them. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Of those vaccinated so far, 30% are NHS / care workers. The remaining 70% represents just 1 in 8 of the over 80’s in the UK, so almost 90% of over 80 haven’t even had their first jab yet. Things will undoubtedly speed up once Xmas / New Year are out of the way and, more importantly, once other vaccines are available that are less complicated to distribute & administer. However, the National Audit Office is saying what many of us said from the outset (and were labelled as negative for doing so), that this is going to take a very long time indeed. They predict the end of 2021 before all those classed as ‘at risk’ from the virus (over 50’s) are vaccinated and 2022 before the majority of the population is protected. These estimates are based on 70% acceptance rates. I am hopeful that this will be improved, but as a 55 year old I will be both delighted and surprised if I am vaccinated before the second half of 2021. I’m afraid that I don’t believe that those vaccination apps / tables have an ounce of credibility and I’m amazed that anyone is taking a blind bit of notice of them. 

Careful Selbourne - we are once again in agreement!

I seem to recall that when you and I commented previously that there was no way that the majority of the population would be vaccinated by the middle of 2021 we were called pessimists, doom mongers and worse. 

• Like 2

Hi Everyone. Happy Boxing Day.

I am a Practice Manager at a GP Practice in North London.  My Practice has finally been allocated our first 50 vaccines (we got the news on Christmas Eve). We start tomorrow. Our patients have to travel to another local surgery to be vaccinated as only certain surgeries have been given permission to house the number of people they are expecting. This is for the Pfizer vaccine. Once the Oxford Astra Zeneca vaccine is approved and available, all surgeries will be able to host the roll-out as the vials can be stored in normal medical fridges.

The way we use our precious supply is very strictly allocated to the over 80s only. We are not allowed to vaccinate any of our doctors, nurses, or staff until it is their designated time ie after all the care homes and elderly have received theirs. Medical staff will come in the second allocations. 

Our GPs are doing home visits for the housebound and those who won't find it easy to travel.

We have been very frustrated by the delays and at last feel we're on the move and actually doing something. So bear with us - we're on the way!

Best wishes everyone.

Jane

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Beckett said:

I am a Practice Manager at a GP Practice in North London.  My Practice has finally been allocated our first 50 vaccines (we got the news on Christmas Eve). We start tomorrow. Our patients have to travel to another local surgery to be vaccinated as only certain surgeries have been given permission to house the number of people they are expecting. This is for the Pfizer vaccine. Once the Oxford Astra Zeneca vaccine is approved and available, all surgeries will be able to host the roll-out as the vials can be stored in normal medical fridges.

The way we use our precious supply is very strictly allocated to the over 80s only. We are not allowed to vaccinate any of our doctors, nurses, or staff until it is their designated time ie after all the care homes and elderly have received theirs. Medical staff will come in the second allocations. 

Our GPs are doing home visits for the housebound and those who won't find it easy to travel.

We have been very frustrated by the delays and at last feel we're on the move and actually doing something. So bear with us - we're on the way!

Best wishes everyone.

Jane

Hi Jane. Thanks for the insight. Great to hear from someone at the coal face, as it were. I’ve no idea what proportion of your over 80 patients your allocation of just 50 vaccines will cover but, as you say, it’s a start. As you also say, the Oxford vaccine should crank this up to another level. Good luck with it all. 

6 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

Has there been a proposed date yet for the roll out of the Oxford Astra Zenica vaccine ?  It seems to have gone very quiet.

Matt Hancock mentioned in his last briefing pre Xmas that the final data on the Oxford vaccine had now gone to the licensing authority that has to give the green light. They keep dropping hints that it should be approved within days and it has been mentioned that millions of doses are bought and ready to be distributed within hours of authority being given. My guess is that it should start going into peoples arms perhaps a soon as next week, fingers crossed. Can’t come soon enough as the Phizer one is barely scratching the surface at present. 

Thanks Josy and Selbourne. Astra Zeneca went to the MHRA last week for approval and we are just waiting for that to happen. They may not be working over the weekend - even though the NHS is! Actually that’s not fair - they could well be working as we speak. It's a very tedious waiting game but yes, as soon as approval is given we're all ready and waiting for delivery. We'll be working 8am to 8pm 7 days per week in shifts and can't wait to get going.

You're right Selbourne - our 50 vaccines are only going to vaccinate about a quarter of the "overs" population - small steps but big ambitions!

Best wishes.

Jane

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

Has there been a proposed date yet for the roll out of the Oxford Astra Zenica vaccine ?  It seems to have gone very quiet.

I read a report last week stating that the Oxford vaccine would be approved 28/29 Dec, most of the data was already with the HMRA. Hopefully then a mass vaccination will start without the supply chain problems of the current vaccine.

1 hour ago, Beckett said:

Best wishes everyone.

Jane

Thank you for the info Jane, nice to get these things from those in the know rather than some of the media ramblings. 

• Like 1

The hospital where I work occasionally as a bank nurse are working 6days a week 8 till 8 with about  6 nurses  vaccinating at any one time. Approximately 55% are over 80's, 30% social  care staff  and the rest  CEV hospital staff ( clinically extremely vulnerable) .The pts see a doctor first as the provision for just seeing nurses,like the flu vaccine, isn't in place yet.A prescription is signed and the patient is then vaccinated. This is because the drug  is so new. The drug doesn't come pre mixed or in individual syringes, it has to be made up and drawn up as required. It's a much  more lengthy process  than the flu jab. I have had the privilege to have given about 100 in the last few days....and no I've had mine yet, doses are soooo precious ,even we don't get it yet.

• Like 1

Best wishes everyone.

Jane

Thanks a lot for this information and I wish you well with the big task ahead.  Our GP surgery is in with a group of surgeries which are using a sports centre about 4 miles away, which will be central for quite a number of surgeries, so well organised for mass delivery as you clearly are.

I have had the Flu vaccine for a lot of years now due to my status as a mild asthmatic, (as well as for my age from 5 years ago). I am aware that my surgery runs clinics for that in late September/early October on a very efficient basis and I have never had to wait longer than the end of September as I have always made my appointment when I received my invite letter.  I have never doubted that once the required vaccines are obtained, the vaccinations will be administered efficiently by the NHS as per the plans.  One thing I have a little concern about at present, is getting the vaccine into the country due to potential problems because of both Brexit and the new variant, as I understand both Pfizer and initial supplies of the Astro Zeneca vaccines will need to be transported from mainland Europe, though feel the Government will be pulling out all stops it can to allow that to happen.

I would like to thank you and your colleagues for all your work over the past months as well as your future role regards the vaccination program.

Can please ask how the people in the over 80's group are being prioritised for the vaccine?  Are the eldest being vaccinated first, or is some other order used?

Edited by tring
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, ohnonotmeagain said:

The hospital where I work occasionally as a bank nurse are working 6days a week 8 till 8 with about  6 nurses  vaccinating at any one time. Approximately 55% are over 80's, 30% social  care staff  and the rest  CEV hospital staff ( clinically extremely vulnerable) .The pts see a doctor first as the provision for just seeing nurses,like the flu vaccine, isn't in place yet.A prescription is signed and the patient is then vaccinated. This is because the drug  is so new. The drug doesn't come pre mixed or in individual syringes, it has to be made up and drawn up as required. It's a much  more lengthy process  than the flu jab. I have had the privilege to have given about 100 in the last few days....and no I've had mine yet, doses are soooo precious ,even we don't get it yet.

Again, very useful and interesting insight. Thanks for sharing and thanks for doing! Hope you get yours soon. 

Thanks for your very nice comments - they are much appreciated.

As Ohnonotmeagain rightly said, the Pfizer vaccine is fiddly. It has to be made up and drawn up in the old-fashioned way. It needs two people to work alongside each other but fortunately our actual vaccinators are GPs vaccinating our own patients so we don't need prescriptions. We just have to log each one through our computer system.

We made our choice of which patients to vaccinate with a mix of those in the most clinical need and the housebound. It didn’t take much time with only 50 to allocate so far (although we are told we get a further 50 week commencing 4th January). We know all our patients very well and many of the names on this first list more or less chose themselves due to their conditions. 

We hope that the Astra Zeneca vaccine will be approved next week Phil - fingers crossed. Yes, we are worried about delays in shipment but can only hope for the best. 

I'll post again when I get more concrete info.

Best wishes all.

Jane

• Like 3

Thanks for your very nice comments - they are much appreciated.

As Ohnonotmeagain rightly said, the Pfizer vaccine is fiddly. It has to be made up and drawn up in the old-fashioned way. It needs two people to work alongside each other but fortunately our actual vaccinators are GPs vaccinating our own patients so we don't need prescriptions. We just have to log each one through our computer system.

We made our choice of which patients to vaccinate with a mix of those in the most clinical need and the housebound. It didn’t take much time with only 50 to allocate so far (although we are told we get a further 50 week commencing 4th January). We know all our patients very well and many of the names on this first list more or less chose themselves due to their conditions. 

We hope that the Astra Zeneca vaccine will be approved next week Phil - fingers crossed. Yes, we are worried about delays in shipment but can only hope for the best. 

I'll post again when I get more concrete info.

Best wishes all.

Jane

Thank you your insight.Out of interest would someone like my Mum (aged 90, housebound but on Palliative Care)still be prioritised in the over 80 group by your GP practice? No one in her block of flats has been vaccinated yet though her nephew (a paramedic) and her son in law (works for NHS) have both received their first jab.They both went to a hospital to have the vaccine whereas I presume my mothers will be administered by  herGP practice?

3 hours ago, Beckett said:

as soon as approval is given we're all ready and waiting for delivery. We'll be working 8am to 8pm 7 days per week in shifts and can't wait to get going.

Thank you for all your posts, which I have  been reading with interest. Your explainations have reassured me that it won't be too long now before we can stick our noses outside with a little more confidence.

Avril