Princess has the Medallion, does Carnival have something similar

gkthorn

Hi kabux!  I'm curious about your reasons why the medallion on Princess made a bigger difference than you expected.  What were the differences between a cruise with it or without it?  When I first heard of the medallions on Princess, it seemed like the medallion would be an intrusion rather than a positive experience.  Please share your thoughts if you have time.

Thanks,

~Nancy

• Like 1

Yes — Ocean Medallion will be coming to Carnival Cruise Line soon. When it happens, it is still unknown. When Princess was introduced as the pilot brand for Ocean Medallion, it was advised that it would be rolling out to other Carnival Corporation brands after a successful rollout. At the moment, Princess is hoping to emerge from the pandemic with all ships tentatively in service offering contactless solutions with Ocean Medallion.

Medallion may or may not be great

but I hope to have the regular cruise-card as an alternative!

I've never found the card system to be lacking in any way

(it ain't broken, why fix it?) -or a hassle-

but my real reason for liking and wanting a card is that, over the years,

I've made a collection of our cruise cards as memorabilia!

- in addition to collecting cruise cards generally!

Anyone have any spares? Don't just throw them out, please!

I can use any spares you might donate to my already-substantial collection

Please email me at dh-jennie (at) outlook dot com

6cards-925-A.jpg

BlueCards-926.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/25/2020 at 12:13 AM, oakridger said:

Hi kabux!  I'm curious about your reasons why the medallion on Princess made a bigger difference than you expected.  What were the differences between a cruise with it or without it?  When I first heard of the medallions on Princess, it seemed like the medallion would be an intrusion rather than a positive experience.  Please share your thoughts if you have time.

Thanks,

~Nancy

The medallion was better for many reasons:

1. Cabin Door unlocked when you approached - so much better than trying to find the card and insert it, especially if you had a drink in your hand already!

2.  I used a fitbit clip to hold it - clipped it to my bra when I didn't have pockets - very convenient!

3.  Approach a bar and the bartender knew who I was, often didn't even need to produce the medallion to get a beverage.  And didn't need to sign because my picture was there.

4.  Order a drink on the app and the waiter brings it to your seat - up on the pool deck too!  They can find you with the medallion and have your picture.

I know there were more, my quarantine brain can't remember more... 🙂

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kabux said:

1. Cabin Door unlocked when you approached - so much better than trying to find the card and insert it, especially if you had a drink in your hand already!

2.  I used a fitbit clip to hold it - clipped it to my bra when I didn't have pockets - very convenient!

3.  Approach a bar and the bartender knew who I was, often didn't even need to produce the medallion to get a beverage.  And didn't need to sign because my picture was there.

4.  Order a drink on the app and the waiter brings it to your seat - up on the pool deck too!  They can find you with the medallion and have your picture.

^ Definitely cool stuff, fer sure -but I'd still want a parallel card

if only for old times sake - and I'll be requesting one too.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kabux said:

Thanks kabux.  Very interesting!  I didn't know about the bar service, a feature I would certainly appreciate!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, xDisconnections said:

Simple answer why it is better and more valuable: data mining.

this is also why almost all major supermarkets and other stores have their own type of shopper loyalty cards or whatever it is called these days. while it is nice they give you a discount on some items with your purchase, the stores can now track you spending habits like see how many times you purchased a specific item and other things.

its sad that own world has come to a data mining and data selling with little to no regard to your personal privacy. even with the best privacy protection, some data will get leak and there is usually no consequence to that company or the company that receives the data

• Like 1

Carrying around the medallion is also burdensome and ruins my vacation.

When will they have the biochip embedded into our necks? That would be sooo much better and you won’t forget it in your cabin or lose it anywhere. And with the corresponding mobile app, they can digitally download bingo cards to your brain so you don’t need to wait in that long line to buy them. In fact, you don’t even have to sit through 30 mins of bad Bingo letter puns or be present to win... it detects that you have a winning card and transfers the $5,000 progressive prize to your “Nod and sail” account!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, crooooze said:

Carrying around the medallion is also burdensome and ruins my vacation.

When will they have the biochip embedded into our necks?

That would be sooo much better and you won’t forget it in your cabin

or lose it anywhere. 

And with the corresponding mobile app...

they can digitally download bingo cards to your brain

so you don’t need to wait in that long line to buy them.

In fact, you don’t even have to sit through 30 mins of bad Bingo letter puns

or be present to win... it detects that you have a winning card 

and transfers the $5,000 progressive prize to your “Nod and sail” account!

OMG I can't believe how cool that IS! lol

On 12/27/2020 at 6:16 AM, Linda the Book Lover said:

I am a fan of the wristband on MSC and I can see myself also being a fan of the medallion.

I would hate a wristband.  I don't even like wearing a watch.  I am happy with my cards and I, also, keep them as a keepsake of our cruises.

• Like 1

It wouldnt surprise me if they have something, or at least a enhanced app like rcl. Rigjt now everyone has announced something new except carnival that I follow. The app will allow you to scan the bar code on menus for rcl or order a drink touch less or open the door with you phone. 

I'm sure you can still get a card and a paper menu, but they will be offering something new almost for sure just to trace you or they might not be able to resume cruising if covid isnt wiped out. The wrist tracelet is now being used on the quantum out of Singapore.  You can pin it on your clothes or hang it from your neck but it has to be on your body to cruise out of Singapore. I know some said they were allergic to plastic, but you can attach it however you want. 

If you have such a big issue with being traced, dont plan on cruising in the short term. I'd rather cruise than not. If there is a positive case they will need to know who he or she was close to.