Where are the test cruises?

5 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

Mariner is docked at the Port of Miami right now and shows destination as CocoCay.  Maybe they're taking a few employees / execs on a test trial?  Who knows.  

Miami extended free docking fees until the end of january now. Like cruiselines they have been extending it month by month allowing cruise lines to dock for free.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, firefly333 said:

Miami extended free docking fees until the end of january now. Like cruiselines they have been extending it month by month allowing cruise lines to dock for free.

I am pleased that Miami has been doing this, I totally support it. Was concerned that the new Mayor might not agree with this, but she did. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, sandebeach said:

Unless the cruise lines are contracting to buy their own vaccine supply? I don’t even know if that is possible. 

They put in an order with MS13, I read there's a big black market operation😉🤣🤣

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

Just now, firefly333 said:

Yet there are not many takers there as Mariner is the only ship docked there at the moment.  Looks like most are staying around the Bahamas, maybe to bypass reporting to the CDC, as was reported by the Miami Herald earlier?  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

Yet there are not many takers there as Mariner is the only ship docked there at the moment.  Looks like most are staying around the Bahamas, maybe to bypass reporting to the CDC, as was reported by the Miami Herald earlier?  

Idk what to make of it either. I have carnival vista booked next sept and even beginning to worry about that one. Everyone was cheering, oh vista docked in miami, but yesterday heard it was hanging out with a pod of 10 other carnival ships with another pod of 5 just north, over by the Bahamas. 

I do think  Miami wouldnt be giving free docking if any line had some plans to sail, even with test cruises. Maybe it pays just to keep allowing docking and letting ships come in for supplies. 

1 minute ago, firefly333 said:

Idk what to make of it either. I have carnival vista booked next sept and even beginning to worry about that one. Everyone was cheering, oh vista docked in miami, but yesterday heard it was hanging out with a pod of 10 other carnival ships with another pod of 5 just north, over for  by the Bahamas. 

I do think  Miami wouldnt be giving free docking if any line had some plans to sail, even with test cruises. Maybe it pays just to keep allowing docking and letting ships come in for supplies. 

True, but the test cruises are not fare paying cruises, volunteers will not be charged and the cruise lines will not be collecting revenue from the trial runs. Maybe Miami won't charge for the pilot cruises when they begin. Remains to be seen. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

True, but the test cruises are not fare paying cruises, volunteers will not be charged and the cruise lines will not be collecting revenue from the trial runs. Maybe Miami won't charge for the pilot cruises when they begin. Remains to be seen. 

Lol I took it as a sign there will be no cruises paid or otherwise in january. 

25 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

Mariner is docked at the Port of Miami right now and shows destination as CocoCay.  Maybe they're taking a few employees / execs on a test trial?  Who knows.  

Although I don’t think much about the way RCL’s management has handled this crises, I don’t think even they are stupid enough to get on a ship the way things are happening now. Sending their employees out wouldn’t surprise me in the least.

Just now, firefly333 said:

Lol I took it as a sign there will be no cruises paid or otherwise in january. 

Late January would be the earliest for the vaccination process so maybe January is not completely out of the question?  I have friends who get their second vaccine / booster on Jan 26.  They are signed up as volunteers and ready to go when RCI calls.  

1 hour ago, livingonthebeach said:

If they are requiring proof of vaccination for the test cruises, the earliest sailing wouldn't be until the end of January / early February. 

With who, health care workers and nursing home patients?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

Mariner and other ships have been resuppling in Miami for months, with a destination of CocoCay after wards - not much to read into this docking. The only unusual thing Navigator and Mariner have done, unlike other ships, is that they docked much longer than the typical less than a day resupply. 

1 hour ago, sandebeach said:

Perhaps they could schedule a test cruise in February or March out of Florida with volunteers who have been vaccinated. Over 4,000 persons 65 and older are scheduled in Broward County to get their first vaccine shot this week, with a second shot in 3 weeks. 

Agree...that additional 3-4 weeks before we can get the second shot, which will then make it 94-95%.  I will still worry about that 5%.   If I had a 5% chance of winning the lotto...I would be very excited.  It's the way you look at it anyway.  😉 

Still....I won't feel more comfortable until I get that second shot...and don't know how long it takes to be fully active.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, molly361 said:

I wonder if the cruise lines are intentionally stalling and waiting until later in the year when most will be vaccinated, hoping that the CDC will rescind all these requirements

I totally agree...makes sense to me as well.  Why take the chance when we are this close now?  

• Like 1

I'm 1b in our state and looking at getting my first shot end of January. We were originally told early to mid January but there are still a lot of health care workers/first responders waiting so we have been told it has been pushed back a couple weeks. My husband is also in the same group but hasn't been given a date yet. We registered with the VA as well and will go with whatever is offered first. 

1 minute ago, 3monkeys4me said:

I'm 1b in our state and looking at getting my first shot end of January. We were originally told early to mid January but there are still a lot of health care workers/first responders waiting so we have been told it has been pushed back a couple weeks. My husband is also in the same group but hasn't been given a date yet. We registered with the VA as well and will go with whatever is offered first. 

At least you have been told even if they pushed out the date once, so might again.

Lol the form for dallas apparently they think no one over age 100 will want to register. The form to click on the calendar doesnt allow for a birth year before 1921. Hes 102, born in 1918, so you cant put in his real birthday on sign up form. 

14 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

At least you have been told even if they pushed out the date once, so might again.

Lol the form for dallas apparently they think no one over age 100 will want to register. The form to click on the calendar doesnt allow for a birth year before 1921. Hes 102, born in 1918, so you cant put in his real birthday on sign up form. 

What are the odds of someone being born during the Spanish flu and still needing a vaccine 102 yrs later for a second pandemic.  There are plenty of people over a hundred years old as reported daily on the Today Show.

Edited by Iamcruzin

1 hour ago, bouhunter said:

They wouldn't do it even if the CDC said OK.  To load a ship with passengers while rates are at all time highs would be suicide for the cruise lines.

They only have 1 chance to start up successfully and that day is not anytime soon. 

1 hour ago, Mapleleafforever said:

They need staff before they start test cruises. Have they started bringing staff over yet? The logistics of the testing and quarantining would be a nightmare......

I read on FB where a person posted that their crew friend was scheduled to return in January, and their contract has since been withdrawn. 

1 hour ago, molly361 said:

I wonder if the cruise lines are intentionally stalling and waiting until later in the year when most will be vaccinated, hoping that the CDC will rescind all these requirements

If I was a cruise line executive I would not be looking at test cruises until mid summer depending on vaccination levels as well as community levels of Covid. No one, including crew, would be on the ship if they were not vaccinated.  At the same rate the CDC will not rescind requirements early, if anything they will extend them. 

1 hour ago, Ourusualbeach said:

I don’t believe that Royal has commented officially yet however NCL has stated that all their staff will be vaccinated. 

This  presents yet another delay as vaccination schedules are vastly different or even non existent currently in many countries. 

I agree with what you are saying. Once the cruise lines can purchase vaccines for their crew I think you will see them push to get going. 

1 hour ago, John&LaLa said:

They put in an order with MS13, I read there's a big black market operation😉🤣🤣

That volley answer is an Ace.😉😂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Iamcruzin said:

What are the odds of someone being born during the Spanish flu and still needing a vaccine 102 yrs later for a second pandemic.

Idk but surely there are more people over 100 in dallas living in a house, not a nursing facility? If they were in a facility they would be 1A but live alone. My dad is never again after one stay in rehab back when he was 90. That's why I cant move to the beach where I want to love, I'm their driver.

You think there arent that many over 100 not in facilities? They will hire someone before they move. They both say never to a nursing home. I was surprised that you cant put in your birthdate. I hope its accidental and doesnt mean they wouldnt take him.

55 minutes ago, island lady said:

Agree...that additional 3-4 weeks before we can get the second shot, which will then make it 94-95%.  I will still worry about that 5%.   If I had a 5% chance of winning the lotto...I would be very excited.  It's the way you look at it anyway.  😉 

Still....I won't feel more comfortable until I get that second shot...and don't know how long it takes to be fully active.  

Are you still going to have to go to some drive thru place with long lines even with an appointment in Brevard?

22 minutes ago, BoozinCroozin said:

I keep seeing people talk about the passengers being vaccinated to start. Won't the onboard crew also have to be vaccinated? If so, where do they get their vaccines because they come from much poorer countries that don't even have it yet? 

India just announced today that they have approved both the AZ vaccine and the Chinese vaccine, and that they will start mass inoculations next week with a goal of having 300 Million vaccinated by April.

At~$4/jab, the AZ vaccine is quickly becoming the go-to option for the rest of the world. Even the U.K. has stated that rather than give half of their supply out and then do a second dose later, they want to use their entire supply as a first dose, and then do second doses sometime down the line when more become available.

The J&J vaccine should be coming out this month, and that is a single dose vaccine, and there are at least five more companies with vaccine candidates in clinical trials (including one in pill form).

• Thanks 1