Will Cunard sail in 2021?

davyjones

2 minutes ago, Cats2010 said:

Yes, of course they will, it's their business and I don't blame them for doing so.

I wish I knew what a FCC is! 

I am thinking of cancelling my Nov. 21 2021 cruise to th Caribbean, which I have long been waiting for ... (tears). Most of it is because of the UK's restrictions, but until then things may have changed, as we all hope.

Thank you.

Any day now i will axe the 2021 x mass cruise to the carib on the qm2 .....tears here too .

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Cats2010 said:

Yes, of course they will, it's their business and I don't blame them for doing so.

I wish I knew what a FCC is! 

I am thinking of cancelling my Nov. 21 2021 cruise to th Caribbean, which I have long been waiting for ... (tears). Most of it is because of the UK's restrictions, but until then things may have changed, as we all hope.

Thank you.

FCC means Future Cruise Credit which can be put towards your next cruise and might be offered instead of your money back.

I think we are on the same trip as you we are 14th Nov 21 to Dec 10th 21 on QM2/Anthem. I am hoping with all the restrictions in place on masks, meetups etc that it gets cancelled so I can get my money back. I don't much fancy cruising or flying for that matter if you have to wear a mask for 7 hours or the ship is like a prison.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Cats2010 said:

Don't think so. I haven't read all the replies, but a quick look at my Travel Agency's website tells me that QM2 continues, in 2021, to do transatlantics, sail to the Caribbean and Northern Europe.

I think you may also find the issue with the Cunard website itself which started this thread has been corrected. The search by departure date functionality in desktop mode no longer begins by displaying 2022 dates, requiring the use of the back arrow to see the 2021 dates. It once again starts by displaying 2021 dates as we would expect.

As a reminder, here is what the search by departure date functionality looked like in early January on the Cunard US website in desktop mode, where the first dates displayed were 2022 dates and you had to scroll back using the left arrow to see the 2021 dates.

600384739_FilterbyDate(Desktop).jpg.d59f

Here is what the search by departure date functionality looks like now on the Cunard US website in desktop mode, where the first dates displayed are 2021 dates as expected.

1414469956_FilterbyDate(DesktopCorrected).thumb.jpg.f402f366ab09df3e0c0832b60913e235.jpg

Please note, I'm not making any predictions on when sailing will resume. Just mentioning that the search by departure date functionality on the Cunard website in desktop mode is once again working as expected.

I do notice the "Jan 2023" date is no longer showing as available on the Cunard US website today. It is showing as available of the Cunard UK website. Here are the the two voyages for January 2023.

M302: Eastbound Transatlantic Crossing, 3-11 Jan 2023

V302: Southampton to Hamburg, 7-9 Jan 2023

Those two voyages are listed as "Sold out" on the Cunard US website while they are showing plenty of availability on the Cunard UK website.

The Cunard UK website is currently reporting a total of 366 available voyages for all dates while the Cunard US website is only reporting 362 available voyages for all dates. So it looks like there are another two voyages somewhere that aren't available on the US website. It's not unusual though for there to be a few discrepancies in voyage availability between the two sites.

Edited by bluemarble
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, ace2542 said:

FCC means Future Cruise Credit which can be put towards your next cruise and might be offered instead of your money back.

I think we are on the same trip as you we are 14th Nov 21 to Dec 10th 21 on QM2/Anthem. I am hoping with all the restrictions in place on masks, meetups etc that it gets cancelled so I can get my money back. I don't much fancy cruising or flying for that matter if you have to wear a mask for 7 hours or the ship is like a prison.

How right you are, it's no real pleasure anymore with all the restrictions. On the other hand it's better than nothing at all, and I would be so happy to see "my" QM2 back! So let's see and hope for the best.

This was on the Cunard facebook page last night and whilst its applicable to UK (they'll look at foreign travel mid may) i think it indicates its unlikely cruise will resume anytime soon. 

𝐔𝐩𝐝𝐚𝐭𝐞 𝐟𝐨𝐥𝐥𝐨𝐰𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐭𝐨𝐝𝐚𝐲'𝐬 𝐔𝐊 𝐆𝐨𝐯𝐞𝐫𝐧𝐦𝐞𝐧𝐭 𝐛𝐫𝐢𝐞𝐟𝐢𝐧𝐠
Following today’s Government briefing which highlights the road map back for hospitality and travel, we would like to thank all our guests for their support during this pause in our operations.
We are so looking forward to bringing our ships back and to providing amazing holidays at sea with the comprehensive framework of protocols to protect the health and well being of our guests, crew and the communities we visit.
As more clarity is provided on likely dates for travel and tourism to return we will provide an update on our return to service and the experience on board.

When this update will be is anyone's guess. 

I have no idea how long it will take to get the ships back to passenger ready but I would have thought a couple of months and so maybe a good indicator as to when the schedules will restart, will be when the crew of each ship is recalled and then add on required start up time.

1 hour ago, Victoria2 said:

I have no idea how long it will take to get the ships back to passenger ready but I would have thought a couple of months and so maybe a good indicator as to when the schedules will restart, will be when the crew of each ship is recalled and then add on required start up time.

But what about the USA travel ban in terms of the QM2 transatlantic crossings? Still no suggestion as to when that ban will be lifted. That is the still the major hurdle to QM2 resuming normal operations.

46 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

But what about the USA travel ban in terms of the QM2 transatlantic crossings? Still no suggestion as to when that ban will be lifted. That is the still the major hurdle to QM2 resuming normal operations.

Which is why I specifically said 'each' ship as opposed to the restart of the company as a whole.

2 hours ago, ace2542 said:

But what about the USA travel ban in terms of the QM2 transatlantic crossings? Still no suggestion as to when that ban will be lifted.

I don't think the CDC specifically blocked trans-Atlantic crossings. As I recall, it simply prohibited all cruises. What would seem to be relatively good news, from today's "Cruise Industry News" email (emphasis mine):

"We're just literally waiting," said Michael Bayley, president and CEO of Royal Caribbean International, of technical regulations expected from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention that will provide a clear path for cruise lines to operate again in the U.S.

Having issued the Framework for Conditional Sailing Order for Cruise Ships in late October, the CDC has yet to release referenced technical regulations which will define a return to service.

Those regulations now may just around the corner, according to Bayley, who said it could be coming in days, speaking on Royal Caribbean's year-end and fourth quarter business update call on Monday morning. 

The next step is then trial sailings with volunteers cruising, Bayley noted, adding the company had seen some 250,000 volunteer sign ups. 

Bayley noted the communication and dialogue between the industry and the CDC has been productive, and it has been a relatively open process.

Edited by frankp01

6 hours ago, frankp01 said:

I don't think the CDC specifically blocked trans-Atlantic crossings. As I recall, it simply prohibited all cruises. What would seem to be relatively good news, from today's "Cruise Industry News" email (emphasis mine):

"We're just literally waiting," said Michael Bayley, president and CEO of Royal Caribbean International, of technical regulations expected from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention that will provide a clear path for cruise lines to operate again in the U.S.

Having issued the Framework for Conditional Sailing Order for Cruise Ships in late October, the CDC has yet to release referenced technical regulations which will define a return to service.

Those regulations now may just around the corner, according to Bayley, who said it could be coming in days, speaking on Royal Caribbean's year-end and fourth quarter business update call on Monday morning. 

The next step is then trial sailings with volunteers cruising, Bayley noted, adding the company had seen some 250,000 volunteer sign ups. 

Bayley noted the communication and dialogue between the industry and the CDC has been productive, and it has been a relatively open process.

The travel ban is nothing to do with the CDC. It is the presidential proclamation of March 17th 2020 instigated by Trump and resigned by Biden. Until that is lifted then the QM2 it is going nowhere and neither is any brit on this board. At least not to the USA. 

17 hours ago, ace2542 said:

The travel ban is nothing to do with the CDC. It is the presidential proclamation of March 17th 2020

Yes, I forgot about that. But, as it's discovered that vaccinations do, in fact, suppress transmittal of COVID, and as Britain is proceeding apace with its vaccinations, and as other highly transmittable variants are discovered (such as in California recently) I suspect the travel ban will be lifted in a few months.

For us the real problem, at the moment, are the protocols which may be in place once cruising recommences.

Masking (masked up in all common areas?)

Social distancing (how on earth would that work in lifts for example or when queuing for any function?)

Dance (how could these events happen if the above two protocols are in place?)

Dining (sharing of tables verboten?)

Library (touching books OK?)

Social events (Bridge, art classes, dance training?)

Theatre (every two seats cordoned off and resultant inability to accommodate all those wishing to view?)

Excursions (A BIG question mark here. Other countries will be way behind in their vaccination programmes. Will they allow any disembarkations whatsoever or will possible excursions be limited to sitting in hermetically sealed coaches [driver and guide vaccinated?] being driven around and not being allowed off the coach?

And, finally, if all or any of the above were in place how on earth could any ship accommodate 2000 passengers? Surely the number would have to be limited to 50%?

And a question. If these protocols are in place and, like me, you find them too onerous and offputting can I request and expect a refund?

38 minutes ago, Roger Ackroyd said:

For us the real problem, at the moment, are the protocols which may be in place once cruising recommences.

Masking (masked up in all common areas?)

Social distancing (how on earth would that work in lifts for example or when queuing for any function?)

Dance (how could these events happen if the above two protocols are in place?)

Dining (sharing of tables verboten?)

Library (touching books OK?)

Social events (Bridge, art classes, dance training?)

Theatre (every two seats cordoned off and resultant inability to accommodate all those wishing to view?)

Excursions (A BIG question mark here. Other countries will be way behind in their vaccination programmes. Will they allow any disembarkations whatsoever or will possible excursions be limited to sitting in hermetically sealed coaches [driver and guide vaccinated?] being driven around and not being allowed off the coach?

And, finally, if all or any of the above were in place how on earth could any ship accommodate 2000 passengers? Surely the number would have to be limited to 50%?

And a question. If these protocols are in place and, like me, you find them too onerous and offputting can I request and expect a refund?

Nope I suspect you have just lost your money. That is what a travel agent will say. And since I personally suspect Masks will be on the ships forever - I think they have to be for the protection of the crew who are onboard for months we get off after a week they don't. - Cunard will not be likely to offer refund either. 

Masks will also be on your balcony as well I imagine. I can imagine the sea breeze potentially carrying the Covid through the air for some distance. And of course the Afternoon Tea will be near impossible to conduct as well.

Edited by ace2542

ace2542 there is no way that you will be forced to wear masks on a cruise ship for ever and by keep on preaching it you are making yourself look foolish.

Roger it all depends when you booked your cruise pre pandemic or not and whether you have paid your final balance. My advice first would to speak to your TA and ask their advice. If you booked pre pandemic then you might have a case for substantial change to your booking that if you were aware of at the time and under Booking Conditions expect a full refund. The other option is to see what options you have of moving your cruise to 2022 and costs involved when hopefully things will improve and there would not be so many restrictions onboard.

• Like 4

One of the biggest issues at the moment seems to be that not all countries are at the same stage when it comes to vaccines. If I have had both shots, then I am safer but not 100% safe so going to a country with high rates of covid and low rates of vaccine would be a bad idea.  I would be happy to do round Britain or a cruise to nowhere with other British people.

We have a Cunard TA booked in early June (Southampton to NYC).  We have read the 'opening' schedule the UK has published and it stated the next phase should be approximately May 17.  Right now, our plan is to be in Italy May 1 - 16, fly to the UK, take two RCCL cruises from there, and then sail the Cunard TA.  All of this is so dependent on Italy and/or the UK opening for tourism. 

We wonder how Cunard will manage the booking if we can not enter the country to sail?  I will add that we are Americans and have had both Moderna jabs.

Maddie

2 hours ago, keyboardjunkie said:

We wonder how Cunard will manage the booking if we can not enter the country to sail?  I will add that we are Americans and have had both Moderna jabs.

I don't think being American really matters to be honest in terms of the ship sailing. 

The main issue Cunard QM2 and your booked TA crossing is facing is the Travel Ban/Presidential Proclamation of March 17th 2020 which prohibits British Nationals and other nationals for that matter from entering the USA unless they have quarantined for 14 in an approved country to my understanding. The Captain/Bridge Crew of QM2 - all British Nationals to my knowledge - will NOT be able to do this and then sail the ship from Southampton. So that will terminate the QM2 crossing right there regardless of the situation in the UK.

There is no indication as to when President Biden intends to lift the travel ban. Cunard as has been mentioned before will likely hang on to the very last moment before announcing any cancellation. Did you book with travel agent or Cunard itself? You might want to speak with either party to explain your situation.

Edited by ace2542

If today's update by Cunard has been posted on this forum I haven't seen it and I apologise in advance if I missed it. (I know how upset some members get if something is inadvertently posted more than once.)

https://www.cunard.com/en-us/contact-us/travel-health-advisories

It appears 23 June is now the first available voyage. I note that the cruises calling at Canadian ports have not been cancelled, unlike those on Holland America and Princess.

Edited by david,Mississauga

1 hour ago, david,Mississauga said:

If today's update by Cunard has been posted on this forum I haven't seen it and I apologise in advance if I missed it. (I know how upset some members get if something is inadvertently posted more than once.)

https://www.cunard.com/en-us/contact-us/travel-health-advisories

It appears 23 June is now the first available voyage. I note that the cruises calling at Canadian ports have not been cancelled, unlike those on Holland America and Princess.

I did post on the "Cunard cancellation Update 9th December MERGED THREADS" thread a few hours ago when I first saw that updated advisory page on the Cunard website. The upshot is that all voyages through June 21, 2021 are now in the same situation as the Canadian voyages and US voyages longer than 7 days. They are no longer available to be booked but not yet cancelled.

Rest assured I'm not the least bit upset about seeing this posted here as well. I actually wondered to myself at the time if it might be more appropriate for this thread. In the end, we now have the information both places which in my view is a good thing.

Latest from P&O about cruise cancellations, I expect that Cunard will make a similar announcement soon? Well at least the cancellation bit.

(10 a.m. GMT) -- P&O Cruises has cancelled all its planned cruises until the beginning of September and those on Britannia and flagship Iona -- which has not even sailed with passengers yet -- until the beginning of October.

The line will instead offer a series of short break and week-long UK cruises, which will go on sale later in March.

Edited by Splice the mainbrace

On 2/25/2021 at 3:10 PM, keyboardjunkie said:

We have a Cunard TA booked in early June (Southampton to NYC).  We have read the 'opening' schedule the UK has published and it stated the next phase should be approximately May 17.  Right now, our plan is to be in Italy May 1 - 16, fly to the UK, take two RCCL cruises from there, and then sail the Cunard TA.  All of this is so dependent on Italy and/or the UK opening for tourism. 

Maddie

France and Belgium lagging at 7% vaccination of total population to date, Brazil and Russia at 4%, Netherland 6% - realistically those number have go to come up to 50% or more before outbreaks are under control? US, UK, UAE and Israel at the top of the list. https://www.cnn.com/interactive/2021/health/global-covid-vaccinations/