Recent video of Pacific Princess

oddjob16

Thank you oddjob16, its very interesting to see how a different cruise line utilises the same space!

We were on Royal  Princess (now Pursuit) in 2011 and those large round tables in the buffet dining area were never very popular. Took up too much space and guests were reluctant to share. We are very excited to see how the new ship will be modified.

Having been on Quest on it's last sailing, so very fresh in mind, amazing how little differences overall there is between PP and the current Azamara ships.

It's what you don't see under the surface that requires most of the work.

• Like 4

Thanks for sharing — I think she looks pretty good...but after a year of no cruising, maybe I would think ANY ship looked pretty good! The Azamara upgrades will serve her well and give her new life! I was on Pursuit’s Maiden Voyage and had followed along avidly as they reimagined her...it was just glorious stepping on to the “brand-new” Pursuit. I was so amazed at what they accomplished in only 3 months and they have more time for this one and I am sure learned many lessons with Pursuit. Can’t wait...this is great news and reassurance for AZ fans.

• Like 1

We were on the P&O Adonia (now Pursuit) in her last season before leaving the brand.  She was in a poor state both externally and internally.  When we sailed on her as the “Pursuit” in the summer of 2019 we couldn’t believe the transformation in look, feel and experience.  
This acquisition has lifted our spirits for the future of the Azamara brand.

Regards

• Like 5

Thanks Odd. Like others it was good to see the little differences. I'm biased of course, but think that Azamara have done a good job refurbing the ships. 

Couple of things I noticed. The stage on deck 9 has been taken down. No good for White Night!  And interesting to hear the Princess concept of having what is the Aqualina area opened exclusively for breakfast for suite passengers. That's a nice idea and would also take some of the pressure off the buffet. Subject of course to staffing it. 

Phil 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, excitedofharpenden said:

Thanks Odd. Like others it was good to see the little differences. I'm biased of course, but think that Azamara have done a good job refurbing the ships. 

Couple of things I noticed. The stage on deck 9 has been taken down. No good for White Night!  And interesting to hear the Princess concept of having what is the Aqualina area opened exclusively for breakfast for suite passengers. That's a nice idea and would also take some of the pressure off the buffet. Subject of course to staffing it. 

Phil 

I would prefer breakfast in the back of the ship anytime over any indoor venue, provided the weather is good :-). And: Yes, there are some work to be done about the interior. Noticed also the MDR has a Club Class for Suites. Glad we don't find that on Azmara. 

2 hours ago, oddjob16 said:

I would prefer breakfast in the back of the ship anytime over any indoor venue, provided the weather is good :-). And: Yes, there are some work to be done about the interior. Noticed also the MDR has a Club Class for Suites. Glad we don't find that on Azmara. 

Agree.  Outdoor is best, and the fewer areas set aside for suites the better.  Should be a one-class ship.  [And I book suites more often than not.]

• Like 2

5 hours ago, oddjob16 said:

Me too. Happy we don’t have class “sections” on Azamara!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, oddjob16 said:

Princess needed the Club Class area because their regular food isn't up to Azamara standards.  Azamara can continue to provide 'Club Class Plus' cuisine to everyone!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, excitedofharpenden said:

Phil 

Interesting that HAL do that too - Suite and De Luxe Verandah passengers  can breakfast in the Pinnacle Grill. Given that the new Executive Chairman comes from HAL, it’ll be interesting to see if that might happen on Azamara.

5 minutes ago, govanguy said:

Be nice if the refit was performed in Belfast just like Pursuit.

I just hope they don't put Captain Carl in charge again, because he is should be the Captain on our Pursuit cruise in September 2022.

• Like 1

Even before the purchase of the new ship the Captains schedule on the website had been blanked out from early 2022 so I would be prepared for anything.  All the Azamara captains are great so if it is not Captain Carl you will still have as good a trip as you would if he was the driver.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, uktog said:

Even before the purchase of the new ship the Captains schedule on the website had been blanked out from early 2022 so I would be prepared for anything.  All the Azamara captains are great so if it is not Captain Carl you will still have as good a trip as you would if he was the driver.

Thanks.  I know they're all good, but he has an outstanding personality even among that elite group!

11 hours ago, govanguy said:

Be nice if the refit was performed in Belfast just like Pursuit.

Absolutely. Let's hope PP is in better condition that Adonia was. Friends of mine who know the MJM management told me the Pursuit contract stretched them way beyond their expectation. 

It has made me question are all P&O ships as badly maintained as Adonia was?

In the short term I have wondered about Journey getting her update before cruising recommences in May, she could be in Belfast in around four hours!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Thanks.  I know they're all good, but he has an outstanding personality even among that elite group!

Out of all of them he is my least favourite, but everyone has their own personalities they warm to.  You can't go wrong with any of them. Hopeful they can all be retained as Azamara have done an Azamazing job with their Captains recruitment!

Phil 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

They all have great personalities, but all are different so like the food on the dining room menu, you get lots of different opinions. Even before the sale they were experimenting with moving officers round ships which may or may not be a good idea and may or may not continue.  
Pursuit may find it hardest to cope with the new baby sister having lost their special place in the family - just as happens when many new babies are brought home! 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, excitedofharpenden said:

I heard from a very good source that they wouldn't use MJM again after the Pursuit contract. This surprised me because it all seemed to go well and the relationship between the parties appeared good.  

Phil 

There is a long standing relationship between MJKM and RCG and they refit ships around the world for RCG and have continued to do so since completing Pursuit.

The only unique aspect of refitting Pursuit was it was done at home as far as MJM were concerned.

The bit I had heard was that MJM wouldn't be used again in Belfast, purely for logistical reasons of bring a ship to Belfast during peak season cruising in Europe.
That is obviously different right now, as is the ease of bring PP during this pause in cruising.

Belfast did a refurb on three Viking ships last summer when they were laid up here.

• Like 1