How to Get The Best Fare on Celebrity?

johnasmith99

I can't seem to find it on the X website, but I believe if you have sailed at least once with X, you can get a 1 category discount on the cost of the cabin, with some exceptions. For example, if you book an A1 cabin, you can get it at the price of an A2 cabin or if you book a C2 cabin, you can get it at the C3 price. However, these type of discounts don't apply if you book a C1 cabin or any of the suites. Not sure how the discounts work with regular verandas, oceanviews, and inside cabins. However, we've always got the discount applied when booking through our X PVP and never seen it applied when booking online. Sorry I couldn't find the specifics online, but hopefully it's still applicable. Maybe someone else might be able to provide a link to the specific perks associated with Select and above loyalty categories.

Edited by Ken the cruiser

13 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

I can't seem to find it on the X website, but I believe if you have sailed at least once with X, you can get a 1 category discount on the cost of the cabin, with some exceptions. For example, if you book an A1 cabin, you can get it at the price of an A2 cabin or if you book a C2 cabin, you can get it at the C3 price. However, these type of discounts don't apply if you book a C1 cabin or any of the suites. Not sure how the discounts work with regular verandas, oceanviews, and inside cabins. However, we've always got the discount applied when booking through our X PVP and never seen it applied when booking online. Sorry I couldn't find the specifics online, but hopefully it's still applicable. Maybe someone else might be able to provide a link to the specific perks associated with Select and above loyalty categories.

Got it, thanks. I think my previous instance might have been a promo. I thought it was standard procedure.

Another tip on getting a good deal on Celebrity.   Watch for any late changes in schedule like redeployment or charter cancellations.   These are rare but when they happen say a year out they will offer great deals to get bookings on the new sailings.

On 2/16/2021 at 12:21 AM, Ashland said:

Isn't that taking a chance the price will actually be higher by then ? I don't tend to make bookings I'm going to cancel and luckily after 30+ cruises I haven't had to. The only ones that have cancelled have been by the cruiseline.

On holiday and unusual itineraries yes.  Most others will have price drops the week before final payment as TAs release any unsold cabins.

Certain holidays do actually offer better deals.  New Years usually good deals.

Next week will be interesting Celebrity is hosting a meeting with TAs.  Will probably offer some discounts on group cabin blocks or ???

Being a long time Celebrity Cruiser I do not think there is any one route to getting a fair deal on a cruise booking .Living just up the road from hawkesbaynz  near Southampton we tend to book at the last minute as we have the flexibility, but we exhausted the number of trips that you can take from that port. We have booked with North American T/a's when sterling was strong, direct with Celebrity and used UK  T/A's.  The travel industry has been in total chaos here for the past year, and the position on any sort of refund opaque, especially when countries are opening and closing their borders without warning. Insurance terms and conditions, don't go there you will be brain dead in 5 minutes. Certainly looking at the prices Celebrity have built in a lot of "Hope " £5000 for a suite for a 12 night cruise in the Med seems a bit of an aspiration .  Cunard are offering "Queens Grill " for that sort of price . I know which I would choose. Think we will stand back for the next 6 months and see where all this is heading

We have always booked directly through the cruise lines. We did try to book with a TA on our last cruise and it was a complete disaster. We did twice as much work as the TA did to make sure we got correct documents which she never could get right. Crazy thing is we never changed anything as far as the cruise. We are not high maintenance or anything. Then to top it off she said the OBC she was giving us would be on our shipboard account. She cheated us out of $100. What additional OBC we did get from her was not worth the work and stress we went through.So anyway never ever again with a TA. The cruise itself turned out to be one of the best we have been on once we got on the ship.

Its a shame that the fellow cruisers can’t share their good TAs on Cruise Critic.

I know things are crazy in the cruise world now. But what’s everyone feelings on booking out to January 2023? We feel it’s far enough out so the cruise lines and CDC should have things under control. At least I hope.Thoughts?

so what is the downside or upside of using a TA?  Normally in any kind of travel I have gone direct - Marriott, Delta etc.  Cruises I have booked direct with Crystal River or X.

I have seen some promotional allowances on some sites that offer same fare as X but with Visa debit card of up to $1200 or so as a rebate (suite).  The OBC was $400/pax  - cant tell if that is the retailer or X.  Are those rebates generally available from a variety of agents?

On 2/17/2021 at 12:37 PM, SunnyTodayFL said:

I booked a cruise directly with Celeb yesterday.  They have a pretty liberal cancellation policy - cancel prior to 48 hours of departure & your money becomes a Future Cruise Credit.  (There are terms & Cond’s, of course).  So I said: I love in Florida and I can go on a moments notice.... has your management suggested restarting what used to be called “Drop & Go” or real “Last Minute” deals?”  She said no because most people actually cancel when Final Payment is due (currently 90 days).   I suggested that COVID might have changed that.....  

>>>>> I’d love to see last minute offers go out, say to eligible Elites & above, for cabins that are going to go out empty in a week or less....  They have all my info and I could keep my COVID test/vax data up to date and have my passport expiration date on file in order to be eligible - it’s not like I could be a terrorist or something and they’d need to confirm that that should let me aboard. They know me well....   I can be at any Florida port tomorrow!

And it's a nice short drive to either coast to pick up your cruise....so you could be there TODAY....LOL.

19 minutes ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

Group rates seem unusually different for 2022 when comparing a TA to booking direct. Aqua and CC is easy to find at lower rates that lower categories.

On Apex...

TA: Category A2, refundable deposit = $3,406

Direct: Category A2, refundable deposit = $5,666

So if I might ask, with Group rates is it like getting a guarantee in one of the specific TA's reserved cabin categories where as Direct is where you get to pick the specific cabin anywhere on the ship you want if you book directly with X? Never have quite understood the Group booking scenario.

2 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

So if I might ask, with Group rates is it like getting a guarantee in one of the specific TA's reserved cabin categories where as Direct is where you get to pick the specific cabin anywhere on the ship you want if you book directly with X? Never have quite understood the Group booking scenario.

Groups formed by the TA get pricing on a specific number of cabins in the category.  No room is reserved until the reservation is "named" and deposit paid.   So yes you get to select any available cabin in the category at the group price.

The only down side I've seen with group bookings is if you have a booking you made onboard with a reduced deposit then move to a TA to get the group rate.  Celebrity requires full deposit on all group bookings so you must increase the deposit the the full deposit at the time you are put in the group.  Generally well worth it for the group savings.

On 2/19/2021 at 4:12 PM, cheeseheads4ever said:

We have always booked directly through the cruise lines. We did try to book with a TA on our last cruise and it was a complete disaster. We did twice as much work as the TA did to make sure we got correct documents which she never could get right. Crazy thing is we never changed anything as far as the cruise. We are not high maintenance or anything. Then to top it off she said the OBC she was giving us would be on our shipboard account. She cheated us out of $100. What additional OBC we did get from her was not worth the work and stress we went through.So anyway never ever again with a TA. The cruise itself turned out to be one of the best we have been on once we got on the ship.

Its a shame that the fellow cruisers can’t share their good TAs on Cruise Critic.

I know things are crazy in the cruise world now. But what’s everyone feelings on booking out to January 2023? We feel it’s far enough out so the cruise lines and CDC should have things under control. At least I hope.Thoughts?

First I am a TA, but as I am not knowledgeable on cruises I ONLY handle motels/hotels for antique auto tours.

Sorry you had a bad TA expedience.  Just like agents from Celebrity There are good TAS and poor ones.   What I suggest is if things don't feel good or go poorly get a new TA or talk to a different agent.  A good TA can make things go smoothly and save you somewhere in the area of 10%.

As for assigned cabins in a group, I have both had a guaranty in a specific category and more often chose my cabin.  It all depends.  Always gave me refundable deposit and an extra couple hundred dollars.  The downside is I had to chose from generally limited category(s).

Edited by Arizona Wildcat

11 minutes ago, wrk2cruise said:

Groups formed by the TA get pricing on a specific number of cabins in the category.  No room is reserved until the reservation is "named" and deposit paid.   So yes you get to select any available cabin in the category at the group price.

The only down side I've seen with group bookings is if you have a booking you made onboard with a reduced deposit then move to a TA to get the group rate.  Celebrity requires full deposit on all group bookings so you must increase the deposit the the full deposit at the time you are put in the group.  Generally well worth it for the group savings.

So if you want a specific corner aft-facing SS, say of deck 11 on the starboard side, and you see it available when doing a "fake booking" on the X site. You can contact your TA to see if they have a Group package for that sailing, and then have them book that specific cabin? If that's the case, we're definitely going to be contacting our TA rather than booking the cabin online through X and then transferring it to them. 

2 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

So if you want a specific corner aft-facing SS, say of deck 11 on the starboard side, and you see it available when doing a "fake booking" on the X site. You can contact your TA to see if they have a Group package for that sailing, and then have them book that specific cabin? If that's the case, we're definitely going to be contacting our TA rather than booking the cabin online through X and then transferring it to them. 

If you can do a dummy booking on the TA site, you should see a noticeable price difference if they have a group. A lot of the larger TA's websites that use the same booking software will have an alert on the top of the category selection page that tells you a group exists. 

I've done it both ways. Booked direct through the TA and also booked directly then transferred to the TA for the lower price and more perks. I have never been locked into particular cabins. In my experience, if a cabin is available on the Celebrity website the TA can book it at their group rate as long as their group rate is still available in that category. 

• Thanks 1

As others have said it really just depends if they have that particular category in their group.  Quite a few years ago when using one of the popular large online agencies they would sometimes be able to "bring it into the group" but I've heard more recently that's not the case.

I was trying exactly what you described recently with my current TA where I wanted a corner S1 on Equinox.  Unfortunately he only had S2 in the group but it was $1000 pp less than the S1 price so I decided to do the aft S2 on deck 11 next to the S1.

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

If you can do a dummy booking on the TA site, you should see a noticeable price difference if they have a group. A lot of the larger TA's websites that use the same booking software will have an alert on the top of the category selection page that tells you a group exists. 

I've done it both ways. Booked direct through the TA and also booked directly then transferred to the TA for the lower price and more perks. I have never been locked into particular cabins. In my experience, if a cabin is available on the Celebrity website the TA can book it at their group rate as long as their group rate is still available in that category. 

12 minutes ago, wrk2cruise said:

As others have said it really just depends if they have that particular category in their group.  Quite a few years ago when using one of the popular large online agencies they would sometimes be able to "bring it into the group" but I've heard more recently that's not the case.

I was trying exactly what you described recently with my current TA where I wanted a corner S1 on Equinox.  Unfortunately he only had S2 in the group but it was $1000 pp less than the S1 price so I decided to do the aft S2 on deck 11 next to the S1.

Thanks! We have one more question. If you decide to take advantage of the Group booking discount offered through your TA, does the amount charged to your credit card go directly to the cruise line or does it go to the TA who in turn pays the cruise line at some later on?

On 2/16/2021 at 1:51 AM, Bruin Steve said:

Also, always look at categories other than your original booking.  Most often, we have found they have trouble selling out Concierge class.  Several times now, we have moved to Concierge cabins AFTER final payment date because the model is based on supply and demand.  On our last Alaska cruise, we booked an inside...then moved it to Concierge right after final payment date when the price for Concierge dropped lower than our original inside rate!  (though, being after final payment, they just upgraded the cabin but wouldn't give us the slightly lower rate...not too much difference...and we were still very okay with that).

Also, if you use Shore Excursions, continually monitor the prices of those...one or two times a year, Celebrity will run 10% or 20% off sales...Book those early, especially if you have OBC...If those drops, you have to cancel and rebook, but you can get the lower price.

Thanks, excellent tips.

That has been also our experience re: concierge cabins, as well as shore excursions, which are very easy to cancel and immediately rebook. Just check before cancelling to see if the excursion is not sold out, i.e. make a mock booking 😉

2 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Thanks! We have one more question. If you decide to take advantage of the Group booking discount offered through your TA, does the amount charged to your credit card go directly to the cruise line or does it go to the TA who in turn pays the cruise line at some later on?

I've never had a charge that went anywhere other than directly to Celebrity. My understanding is it's not common practice or advisable to the TA to accept payment directly to themselves. I would also imagine the TA's that are able to arrange group bookings are reputable. I'm not 100% positive on this, but I'm fairly sure there is an upfront cost to them to purchase the group space.

• Thanks 1

On 2/16/2021 at 12:47 PM, fngram said:

Curious if folks residing in port departure cities are able to get significant “last minute” fares.

I hope so! We’re waiting patiently to welcome the Connie to our back yard.

To BruinSteve, that was a great overview you gave, full of useful info. Many others have done the same. I love a thread like this! Well done, OP.

I hope you’ll now allow me to go off-topic. I’ve not been watching the =X= boards. What are we getting as Elite or Elite Plus, now that Always Included pricing nullifies two of our best benefits? I did see we’ll be offered a discount on upgrading the wi-fi, and we’ll still be getting the laundry benefits.