Newbie here-Dress Code Questions

cruisekitty22

After seeing my comment, my wife told me about her father. He was a chemist with GE and went to a Chemical Society convention in Atlantic City in the 70’s. The brochure stated ‘coat and tie for all meetings’. And as you can guess, a whole group of (young) chemists showed up wearing coat and ties.....and not shirt, pants, socks or shoes.......those crazy chemists!!

as to the photos of the 4 guys, I wouldn’t want Any of them sitting at my dining table! All the women including my wife, and a few of the men, would tell me to shut up when I tried to speak because I was interfering with them  sitting and just ogling them! 

Den

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, davekathy said:

I'll admit, not what I envisioned as sweats. Even the link you provided calls them joggers instead of sweats. But joggers aren't the same as sweats.

To quote the Bard...

"What's in a name? That which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet;"

Most joggers I've seen I'd generally call sweats. In fact the article references "sweatpants-style joggers". These are something different, and different from the more athletic style joggers I own. And I don't know what she's asking about. But a lot of "athleisure" wear these days are athletic inspired items, and not your navy Hanes with a glaring white drawstring sweats. I suspect athleisure wear with a polo shirt and loafers wouldn't even by noticed at the MDR.

Having flashbacks to the jeans discussions when Evening Chic came out!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, markeb said:

To quote the Bard...

"What's in a name? That which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet;"

Most joggers I've seen I'd generally call sweats. In fact the article references "sweatpants-style joggers". These are something different, and different from the more athletic style joggers I own. And I don't know what she's asking about. But a lot of "athleisure" wear these days are athletic inspired items, and not your navy Hanes with a glaring white drawstring sweats. I suspect athleisure wear with a polo shirt and loafers wouldn't even by noticed at the MDR.

Having flashbacks to the jeans discussions when Evening Chic came out!

My sweats seldom smell sweet! :classic_laugh:

5 hours ago, cruisekitty22 said:

Being new to Celebrity as never been on a Celebrity cruise ever.  I was wondering about the dress code. Can my husband get away with wearing sweats to dinner in the main dining/specialty restaurants?  How strict are they with the dress code? This would be for a Caribbean cruise.  Celebrity has lots of itineraries we like. I understand less kids go on Celebrity. Is this true?  This would be a winter cruise, not school times.

Hi cruisekitty22, welcome to Celebrity.

As others have said sweat pants generally do not match the description of the dress code. More to the point we have cruised the Caribbean at just about every season of the year and sweat pants are just too heavy and warm to be comfortable in the evening in any of the restaurants.

If your husband has health/mobility issues where sweat pants are more practical/suitable for him I am sure no one would comment or worry about his dress but if he just likes to be comfortable why not look at a pair of cotton rich trousers with an elasticated waist?

Hope you have a great first Celebrity cruise!

• Like 2

If you really like the feel of sweat pants, look into Levi's jeans that has the name "Flex" in it.  They are very stretchy not like regular jeans.  I have black Levi's 512 Flex and they feel just like my Jogger sweat pants.   They are so stretchy that I went one inch smaller and don't have to wear a belt.  They look like designer jeans but feels like sweat pants.

6 minutes ago, lostchild said:

If you really like the feel of sweat pants, look into Levi's jeans that has the name "Flex" in it.  They are very stretchy not like regular jeans.  I have black Levi's 512 Flex and they feel just like my Jogger sweat pants.   They are so stretchy that I went one inch smaller and don't have to wear a belt.  They look like designer jeans but feels like sweat pants.

I will probably get some neg feedback on this but.....IMO Celebrity's current dress standards for Dinner have continued to go downhill year after year since our first Celebrity cruise on the Horizon in 1993. While I know Celebrity has become more flexible year after year because we're all dealing with weight restrictions on luggage but it's still very possible to meet Celebrity's now minimal dress requests.

24 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Another dress code thread.  Can I wear pajamas to the MDR?

Don’t knock it! It’s kind of fun to be talking about general cruise stuff instead of about this........I can’t even say (well, type) ‘that word’! 

Den

I think there's something seriously wrong if an adult male can be bothered to put on something as simple as a polo shirt and a pair of khakis for dinner in a nice atmosphere with tablecloths and silverware in a Dining Room as pictured.

IMG_20181217_085044474.jpg

• Like 9

6 hours ago, davekathy said:

I haven't seen anyone wearing sweats even in the gym/fitness center on any of our Caribbean Celebrity cruises. 

Maybe walking on deck early am or at night.

Gym wear is  usually casual  but "stylish" ..sweats a bit heavy for that..

5 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

I think there's something seriously wrong if an adult male can be bothered to put on something as simple as a polo shirt and a pair of khakis for dinner in a nice atmosphere with tablecloths and silverware in a Dining Room as pictured.

IMG_20181217_085044474.jpg

Agree 100 %

Thank you for this photo....our fav dining room..great decor, food service, excellent views,  and beautiful music !

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, UnorigionalName said:

Ugh... tablecloth and fancy silverware is so like, pre 2010... Get them out.  Notice how the specialty restaurants are doing away with them.  so gauche

Ha ha... obviously not  so on X.

2 minutes ago, UnorigionalName said:

Ugh... tablecloth and fancy silverware is so like, pre 2010... Get them out.  Notice how the specialty restaurants are doing away with them.  so gauche

Perhaps you'd prefer a TV table and plastic tableware? :classic_laugh:

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Denny01 said:

Don’t knock it! It’s kind of fun to be talking about general cruise stuff instead of about this........I can’t even say (well, type) ‘that word’! 

Den

You didn't answer my question LOL.

2 hours ago, zitsky said:

Another dress code thread.  Can I wear pajamas to the MDR?

37 minutes ago, zitsky said:

You didn't answer my question LOL.

Oooops! Yes, you can wear pajamas to the MDR.....you just cant go in and sit down for a meal! 

By the way, what’s the difference between sweats and pajamas, except sweats don’t have bunnies on them......I bought a set of lobster PJ’s in Boston on my 2019 cruise and love them!

Den

2 minutes ago, Denny01 said:

Oooops! Yes, you can wear pajamas to the MDR.....you just cant go in and sit down for a meal! 

By the way, what’s the difference between sweats and pajamas, except sweats don’t have bunnies on them......I bought a set of lobster PJ’s in Boston on my 2019 cruise and love them!

Den

Fine.  I'll go to Blu then.