Newbie here-Dress Code Questions

cruisekitty22

3 hours ago, cruisekitty22 said:

Thanks for the information. Celebrity is not for us according to what I have read about Celebrity.

Is this because your husband cannot wear sweats in the MDR's?  Or are there other mitigating factors, just curious.

3 hours ago, cruisekitty22 said:

Thanks for the information. Celebrity is not for us according to what I have read about Celebrity.

I'm sorry to hear that.  Celebrity has gotten more casual but I don't think many people are wearing sweatpants to dinner.  Sorry.

4 hours ago, cruisekitty22 said:

And I don’t mean this ‘meanly’, but if the deciding point is your husband cant wear sweats to dinner, I’d agree, Celebrity isn’t. 

Den

• Like 2

Just now, Denny01 said:

And I don’t mean this ‘meanly’, but if the deciding point is your husband cant wear sweats to dinner, I’d agree, Celebrity isn’t. 

Den

That is what Carnival is for, but even then...

2 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

That is what Carnival is for, but even then...

I’ve cruised Carnival a few times and enjoyed, but I agree, even then.....

It’s probably best. I’d be horrified, Yes horrified!!! Sitting at dinner in my sharkskin suit, endangered snow leopard leather shoes with my private club ascot proudly showing, and my monocle dangling across my silk shirt, sipping my ‘special liquor’ with Babs and Bunny and comparing our last time we spent in the Catskills, tisk, tisk, tisk.......

Den

• Haha 3

14 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

Why even pack sweats for the Caribbean, even in the winter?

believe it or not, for some reason they are considered “fashionable” by some people and magazines.

We spent this xmas at a Savoy Hotel on Madeira - not a bargain place. Some younger people wore those sweat pants for dinner. While I wouldn’t even walk the dog in those, I know that some of them are more expensive than my favorite Boss pants/jeans.

However, expensive doesn’t equal nice and class. So the dining room of the Savoy sometimes had the feeling of a food court. Quite some people mentioned it to the Maitre - to which he replied: “We hope for common sense in our guests...” 

DW and I frowned and said: the case is lost... 😂

Edited by Miaminice

6 hours ago, LGW59 said:

You can always have dinner at your local Sub Way.

Mmmhh, the lady asked a question obviously important to her and her husband. Most people gave reasonable answers.

Obviously the OP accepted the answers and drew her conclusions, deciding X is not for them.

I actually respect that and find it very considerate. Would you / we have preferred someone saying - “I’ll wear them anyway!” ??? 

So why the unnecessary ankle-biting ?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, lyndarra said:

I'd never heard of "sweats" until now. Should I be enlightened or would it be better for me to remain ignorant?🙄

I would describe sweats as a heavy cotton stretch fabric with a fuzzy inside surface.  Tops frequently have a big logo on the front, possibly a hood.  Pants have elastic waist and hems.  Both have a baggy fit.  Often light gray color.  Designed to keep the wearer warm, thereby producing a sweat while jogging or warming up for team sports.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, zitsky said:

Another dress code thread.  Can I wear pajamas to the MDR?

Ya being funny ??? 

Ya think there aren't " Goofs " that come into the MDR or go to the " Slug Fest on 14 " wearing pj's at breakfast ?   It's the same people that wear shorts, tank tops, flip flops, and their baseball cap backwards .  " Slobs " that can't or won't follow the guidelines of the cruise line.

And, sweats , you know the baggy, sloppy type some folks have been wearing since the beginning of the pandemic , should not be worn into the MDR at dinner --- period.

(  Ya, Ya , it's My Opinion ). 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Miaminice said:

Mmmhh, the lady asked a question obviously important to her and her husband. Most people gave reasonable answers.

Obviously the OP accepted the answers and drew her conclusions, deciding X is not for them.

I actually respect that and find it very considerate. Would you / we have preferred someone saying - “I’ll wear them anyway!” ??? 

Agree with you but this is what happens with every Dress Code thread on CC.  

16 hours ago, kwokpot said:

I think there's something seriously wrong if an adult male can be bothered to put on something as simple as a polo shirt and a pair of khakis for dinner in a nice atmosphere with tablecloths and silverware in a Dining Room as pictured.

IMG_20181217_085044474.jpg

Excellent point. 

8 hours ago, Miaminice said:

😁

9 hours ago, Miaminice said:

33 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Agree with you but this is what happens with every Dress Code thread on CC.  

Unfortunately, the unnecessary comments are spreading to threads on topics other than just the dress code these days.

Edited by C-Dragons
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, C-Dragons said:

Unfortunately, the unnecessary comments are spreading to threads on topics other than the dress code these days.

Some people would say comments they don't like are unnecessary.  OP asked a question and got an answer she didn't like.  Should we lie to people and say something is ok when it might not be?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, zitsky said:

Some people would say comments they don't like are unnecessary.  OP asked a question and got an answer she didn't like.  Should we lie to people and say something is ok when it might not be?

You missed my point. I was referring to unhelpful responses to other posters remarks which are unnecessary in the scheme of things, Imo.

• Like 1