What to change in the "new" Azamara?

oddjob16

6 hours ago, uktog said:

I would expect the entertainment to be brought onboard rather than buses to venues. They did onboard evenings in the Caribbean in November/December 2019. It’s not the same as an Azamazing evening but it’s more than just local dancers coming onboard 

These particular evenings were poor, at least on the 2 B2Bs we did, I recall chatting with you on board and we were both whelmed with the offerings....at best!

Actually one of the best events they did for us in New Zealand was to bring a school group of Maori 'dancers' on board to show us the Haka. They called for volunteers to join in - I was up there like a shot. Shame DW didn't have her camera to record me doing a Haka - great fun.

If anyone has the cruise video from Azamara Quest, Melbourne to New Zealand, 6 Jan 2019 to 22 Jan 2019 I would dearly love a copy of that part at least (they showed the cruise video  on the TV after sales had closed so we could not buy it - poor marketing on Azamara's part).

11 hours ago, Grandma Cruising said:

We had one on board in Egypt too, it was great. The event was on Deck 9 and they brought on snake charmers and whirling dervish dancers, plus a lady that did henna hand painting, another that told fortunes and someone who did beautiful Arabic writing. It was a really interesting and lively evening. We also heard that they’d considered trying to get a camel on board, but decided it was impractical.

I suppose the Camel would be challenging. Is this the responsibility of the F&B Manager or the CD 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

35 minutes ago, oddjob16 said:

I suppose the Camel would be challenging. Is this the responsibility of the F&B Manager or the CD 🤣

Tony’s your man!

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, royallondon said:

Tony’s your man!

Be careful, my last business trip to Inner Mongolia, camel was served at every hot meal.... I’m sure in his extensive cv he’s picked up butchery skills as well 😂😂

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

As an Azamara discoverer plus loyalty member, having sailed on all three ships,        I agree with most of the constructive comments on this post. I would like to add a few comments of my own for your perusal. I have witnessed a sharp decline in food quality since I first started sailing with Azamara, especially the food served in the M.D.R. to the point of having to return numerous meals on my last two cruises, and finding other loyal Azamara people who were of the same opinion.

Azamara will have to up its game if it hopes to retain loyal members and attract new customers, they must realize we have other choices out there, who would cherish our custom.

1  Better food quality in M.D.R.

2  Specialty venues to change menus at least twice a year. 

3  Superior grades of wine to be served as standard.

4 I can live with shower curtain, but would like a door.

5 Piano player in the Den to be located in the corner, and volume set to a level where guests can have a conversation, without raising their voices.                               (Is it me, or is the volume higher during second session)

6 More variety and professional guest entertainers.

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, ROSSCOT said:

As an Azamara discoverer plus loyalty member, having sailed on all three ships,        I agree with most of the constructive comments on this post. I would like to add a few comments of my own for your perusal. I have witnessed a sharp decline in food quality since I first started sailing with Azamara, especially the food served in the M.D.R. to the point of having to return numerous meals on my last two cruises, and finding other loyal Azamara people who were of the same opinion.

Azamara will have to up its game if it hopes to retain loyal members and attract new customers, they must realize we have other choices out there, who would cherish our custom.

5 Piano player in the Den to be located in the corner, and volume set to a level where guests can have a conversation, without raising their voices.                               (Is it me, or is the volume higher during second session)

I agree with most of your suggestions, except about the quality of the food in the MDR, which we have found very good. We usually don’t attend evening stuff, so no comment on that.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, ROSSCOT said:

This is true of almost all musicians lately.  Wedding bands start loud and get louder [probably as they notice the imbibing guests talking louder].  I bring ear plugs to weddings.  Thankfully haven't had to do that on a ship yet. 

2 hours ago, ROSSCOT said:

Well, I can not agree on most of this. It is impossible for Robert to reinvent the menus twice a year..plus go to all four ships and teach new chefs how to make them. I do think they could bring back old favorites  but you can special order .

music..wow..it took years to move that piano  to a better spot. Yes, all piano and singers are quieter pre dinner.after most us want it louder as we are in a bar after all.

shows..major budget cut a few years ago. Maybe it will improve with new owners.

I agree that the food in the MDR is fine. In all my 9 cruises I have only disliked a couple of dishes. One of those was garlic soup - probably my fault for ordering it, as I found it too garlicky!

I also agree with marinaro44 that a door on those small showers would be awful - there wouldn’t be room to turn around.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Grandma Cruising said:

I agree that the food in the MDR is fine. In all my 9 cruises I have only disliked a couple of dishes. One of those was garlic soup - probably my fault for ordering it, as I found it too garlicky!

I also agree with marinaro44 that a door on those small showers would be awful - there wouldn’t be room to turn around.

The food is usually awesome. I can rarely remember food that was bad or disgusting. Maybe I am not a picky person, I enjoy life and I enjoy food as long as its tasty enough to get into my belly =D 

10 hours ago, marinaro44 said:

This "loyal Azamara" person's opinion is that MDR food is just fine, and my elbows want no part of a door in the small showers.

Perhaps the problem with 'loyal Azamites' is they have no experience of other mass cruiselines. Having sailed at least 15 cruiselines, most the mass lines, a couple of luxury and one premium (Az) line, we are of the opinion that MDR food on Azamara is no better than the mass lines.

It does not reflect it's marketed premium line status, although our 14 nights dining experience was mitigated by 6 truly amazing meals between the two specialty restaurants and the fabulous white night buffets. That meant we only had to tolerate 6 nights in MDR. Some of the Azamites have described the MDR food as fine.....surely a premium experience has to be better than just fine!

This is a problem I've noticed on these threads, where someone comments on their experience in a way that doesn't align with the Az mafia then they are pulled up for daring to have such opinion!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hamrag said:

Perhaps the problem with 'loyal Azamites' is they have no experience of other mass cruiselines. Having sailed at least 15 cruiselines, most the mass lines, a couple of luxury and one premium (Az) line, we are of the opinion that MDR food on Azamara is no better than the mass lines.

It does not reflect it's marketed premium line status, although our 14 nights dining experience was mitigated by 6 truly amazing meals between the two specialty restaurants and the fabulous white night buffets. That meant we only had to tolerate 6 nights in MDR. Some of the Azamites have described the MDR food as fine.....surely a premium experience has to be better than just fine!

This is a problem I've noticed on these threads, where someone comments on their experience in a way that doesn't align with the Az mafia then they are pulled up for daring to have such opinion!

Since there was reference made to Azamara veterans who agreed concerning the poor quality of the food, it is not surprising that other veterans might express disagreement on this forum. Nor surprising that some posters might wish limited resources be spent on issues more important to them, the wine list seems to be a particular favourite.

I thought the responses were measured and not disrespectful, after all there is bound to be different opinions on such a subjective topic. 

However, to suggest that Azamara cruisers are not experienced with other cruise lines and, worse, that there is an Az mafia on this forum, well that doesn't seem measured, thoughtful, nor helpful.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, excitedofharpenden said:

Oceania has the addition of shower doors, but I think this video says it all. He sometimes showers with the doors open!

Phil 

Was so looking forward to the shower doors on the Insignia.  Until we spent 25 days with them.  Was never happy with the curtains on R class ships until we experienced the doors on Oceania.

The shower space is simply too small to be confined by glass doors. 

• Like 7

When I said the food was ‘fine ’ I meant that we enjoyed it. Yes the speciality restaurants are very nice, but I have had as good a fillet steak in the MDR as in Prime C. One thing I do know is that I would really struggle to eat in Prime  C or Aqualina every night - just too much rich food for me. 

The only mainstream line that I can compare it with is HAL and there is absolutely no comparison between the food in the two MDRs. Azamara is better by a very long way!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

From the video it was good to see the space impact that a shower door makes.  What struck me was that it makes using the sink difficult for a left handed person. I could see a lefty striking their elbow against the shower door while brushing teeth.

Has anyone who traveled with the shower door had an issue with that?

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

This is true of almost all musicians lately.  Wedding bands start loud and get louder [probably as they notice the imbibing guests talking louder].  I bring ear plugs to weddings.  Thankfully haven't had to do that on a ship yet. 

I had an issue with the pre dinner music in the Living Room too. So loud it was impossible to chat.

Having experienced the glass door on Insignia, we find the new rattan effect (non clinging) curtains in the Az best suited to the “R’s” cabins.

Normally however, the glass doors on the likes of Celebrity are highly preferable.

Food of course is very subjective, with one man’s meat being another’s poison.  That said, having cruised with, Azamara, Thompson, Celebrity, Oceania, HAL, Princess, Ocean Village and P&O, we always look forward to dining with Azamara and with the exception of Oceania, would rate their MDR offering above all the lines we have experienced to date.

On the rare occasion I’ve been disappointed with a meal, it’s been down to poor choice as much as anything.

Aren’t we fortunate to be able to make these comparisons.

Regards

• Like 5

5 hours ago, nordski said:

...to suggest that Azamara cruisers are not experienced with other cruise lines and, worse, that there is an Az mafia on this forum, well that doesn't seem measured, thoughtful, nor helpful.

On reflection, I would accept the point you make re other cruise line experience and apologise to those offended by that particular comment.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, hamrag said:

On reflection, I would accept the point you make re other cruise line experience and apologise to those offended by that particular comment.

Well, they all have their ups and down, advantages and disadvantages. Its just how things are. I would suprised if there was like some cruiser without any issues with it. In any case, they are all great in general