Good News / Good Progress towards back to Cruising....

NavyCruiser

Just saw NY Times: 

New Covid -19 cases down 73% from Jan 10 - Feb 21

& New Deaths down 69% from Jan 14 - Feb 21

According to CDC,  64 Million cumulative doses of vaccine has already been administered

All of my family members 65 & above have had their 2nd vaccinations already.

Got email from VA below, so trying to get mine later this weekend.

So trying to be positive, thinking cruising will be back soon...

email-icon-reading_original.png

VISN 16 – Houston VA Medical Center – Announcement

Dear Veteran,

Your VA is proud to offer the COVID vaccine to all enrolled Veterans ages 50 and over!

This week we will be opening a special Drive thru vaccine clinic on our main hospital campus, located at 2002 Holcombe Blvd, Houston, TX 77030. The Drive-Thru Clinic will be open Wednesday through Friday, February 24-26, from noon to 6 p.m. and Saturday, February 27, from 8 a.m. to noon.

Enter through our Almeda gate to get the COVID vaccine at the VA Regional Office on our campus without leaving the comfort of your car.  No appointment is necessary for these drive thru vaccine clinics.

Veterans will receive a two-dose series of vaccinations and will receive an appointment for their second vaccine dose when they check in to get the first dose. 

If you are 50 years and older and would prefer to make an appointment to get the COVID vaccine at our main medical center during the week, call us at 713-794-8985.  If you already have an appointment to get the vaccine, please keep your appointment.

Thank you for choosing the Houston VA as your healthcare provider. It is our honor and privilege to serve you.

• Like 7

Thanks for the update.   I just want to put this out there.  I had minimal side effects from the first dose.   The second dose has been quite trying for me.  DH is just fine.   Just make sure you clear your calendar for the next day and go directly home after being vaccinated.  My reaction this morning from yesterday’s vaccine was dramatic.   I was heading out the door for our daily urban hike at 7:30 am.  My jacket is still laying on the floor where I dropped it. These side effects I am experiencing are reported within the normal range but please do go directly home after being vaccinated 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Mary229 said:

Thanks for the update.   I just want to put this out there.  I had minimal side effects from the first dose.   The second dose has been quite trying for me.  DH is just fine.   Just make sure you clear your calendar for the next day and go directly home after being vaccinated.  My reaction this morning from yesterday’s vaccine was dramatic.   I was heading out the door for our daily urban hike at 7:30 am.  My jacket is still laying on the floor where I dropped it. These side effects I am experiencing are reported within the normal range but please do go directly home after being vaccinated 

Thank you for the advice.  We will be getting our first shot next Tuesday.  

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Mary229 said:

That doesn't sound too good for getting just a vaccine..

22 minutes ago, Sir PMP said:

That doesn't sound too good for getting just a vaccine..

It was not pleasant but I am fully recovered.  I have never had any reaction to a vaccine in the past.  Of all of the people I know who have been vaccinated only myself and my two sisters have reported what I would call severe symptoms. Someone would say that is good as it demonstrates your body is mounting an immune response - I am not so sure of that 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

It was not pleasant but I am fully recovered.  I have never had any reaction to a vaccine in the past.  Of all of the people I know who have been vaccinated only myself and my two sisters have reported what I would call severe symptoms. Someone would say that is good as it demonstrates your body is mounting an immune response - I am not so sure of that 

There was an interesting article on more people having side effects on the second dose - 

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/medical/experts-explain-why-2nd-covid-19-vaccine-dose-may-have-more-side-effects/ar-BB1dWHsg

• Like 3

After the first dose I had a bad headache the first night, not much else besides a sore arm.  After the second vaccine, another bad headache and 3 days of flu-like symptoms (no fever).  I slept 10 hours one night and was still tired the next day. Aches, chills. Now I'm feeling great.  It actually wasn't as bad for me as the 2nd Shingles shot was.  

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Tampa Girl said:

Thank you for the advice.  We will be getting our first shot next Tuesday.  

I received my 2nd dose of the Pfizer vaccine last Wednesday, and other than being tired for a few hours the next day, I’ve had no real side effects. Everyone is different—don’t let one person’s experience deter you from getting the vaccine. My husband had zero side effects from doses 1 and 2. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, bcummin said:

The minor reactions are confirmation that our immune systems are working.

I am surprised that different people have such different reactions.

Thankful for the vaccine shots, minor miseries and all.

Barbara

So true.  For me, this wasn't nearly as bad as after getting my second shingles shot. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Scottiemac said:

I received my 2nd dose of the Pfizer vaccine last Wednesday, and other than being tired for a few hours the next day, I’ve had no real side effects. Everyone is different—don’t let one person’s experience deter you from getting the vaccine. My husband had zero side effects from doses 1 and 2. 

Same here.  Zero side effects.  Pfizer.

On 2/22/2021 at 4:57 PM, Mary229 said:

Glad you're felling better now. Which vaccine did you have? (Moderna, Pfizer, a player to be named later?)

• Like 1

Just had my second vaccine yesterday...24 hours ago now.  

First shot...sore arm and headache for about a day.

Second shot...sore arm which is now better.  Small headache but a back ache this morning.  Maybe because I was tired last night and spent too much time in bed!!  Slowly feeling better.

My DH had no aches or pains with either shot.  

Just very grateful we were able to get the vaccine.  Pfizer was our vaccine.

Good advice to not plan a lot to do the after the second shot.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, POA1 said:

Glad you're felling better now. Which vaccine did you have? (Moderna, Pfizer, a player to be named later?)

I had the Moderna, a bit over 4 weeks apart.  It is supposed to be 4 weeks but the winter weather delayed it by a few days. My symptoms were not what I consider minor but reported including 102 fever (very high for me), congestion, chills, extreme exhaustion, shivering.

Edited by Mary229
  • Like 1

We had our first Pfizer two days ago.  No side effects at all, and didn't even feel the jab.  The nurse recommended moving our arms around from time to time during the rest of the day.  Good advice, apparently.  No discomfort, no swelling, no tenderness, no fatigue - none of the things I had after my flu shot.

• Like 1

My husband and I had our first Pfizer shot this afternoon. The actual injection was painless. The pharmacy did not require us to wait for observation. We have our next appointments scheduled. 

The feelings surrounding getting the shot is interesting. I have hope that normalcy is on the horizon, but my daughter had a different reaction. When I told her that I had my first shot, she said that soon she wouldn't have to worry about me dying so much. ❤️

• Like 4

just to let y'all know, getting Covid was way worse than the reaction from the vaccine.

Got 1st vaccine on the 12Jan2021, Tested positive for Covid 21Jan2021, 2nd covid on 2 Feb2021.

sore arm with 1st and 2nd, thought i was going to die with covid, sob, elevated pulse, fever and muscle ache  Fever and SOB was worse.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Mary229 said:

I had the Moderna, a bit over 4 weeks apart.  It is supposed to be 4 weeks but the winter weather delayed it by a few days. My symptoms were not what I consider minor but reported including 102 fever (very high for me), congestion, chills, extreme exhaustion, shivering.

Thanks! Your advice tracks with what I've heard from other people.

• Like 1